Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't decide if I feel bad for people who are big ol' scaredy cats about horror games or if I deeply envy them. On the one hand, if you actually get too scared to play the game or have to play it in broad daylight with a friend or something then you're obviously missing out a little but on the other hand the only way horror games really "work" for me is in the dead of night, alone, with headphones and the lights off, and even then it takes a pretty active and sustained effort to suspend my disbelief. Definitely makes me wish I was more susceptible to it, since I love the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
On the reverse side, Undertale is a Game Maker game kickstarted years ago with several lengthy dry spells of no content/communication, yet it came out this month and is absolutely fantastic. Figured I was throwing my money away but was very pleasantly surprised. :)

e: Whoops

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 22, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Amnesia has like, two jump scares if I remember correctly. It's definitely not something you should be constantly worried about (and it's really good)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Amnesia's main jumps are "something creepy comes in through the door you weren't expecting", but you usually have forewarning. Most of it is just creeping dread that a creepy thing might come in through the door.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Amnesia's main jumps are "something creepy comes in through the door you weren't expecting", but you usually have forewarning. Most of it is just creeping dread that a creepy thing might come in through the door.

I seem to have heard that description of the different versions of abloogy woogy woo somewhere before. It's still as accurate as ever, though, and Amnesia pulls it off to great effect.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HMS Boromir posted:

I can't decide if I feel bad for people who are big ol' scaredy cats about horror games or if I deeply envy them. On the one hand, if you actually get too scared to play the game or have to play it in broad daylight with a friend or something then you're obviously missing out a little but on the other hand the only way horror games really "work" for me is in the dead of night, alone, with headphones and the lights off, and even then it takes a pretty active and sustained effort to suspend my disbelief. Definitely makes me wish I was more susceptible to it, since I love the genre.

The main difficulty I have with jump scares is coming back down again. Something gets stuck, and I've had some bad ones hang around for days. Psychological stuff like Eternal Darkness, early Resident Evil games, the Alien movie, all that sort of thing appeals to me because the slower pace and subtler, more atmospheric horror gives me a chance to take a breath without fully disengaging from the game. Also, when something like Eternal Darkness uses a jump scare, it's effective *because* it's in such contrast to the rest of the game.

So yeah, if I hear something has a lot of jumpscares, I'm gonna give it a pass. Not the fault of the game/movie/whatever, just the guy telling me about it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't like jump scares either, but mostly because they're cheap and I have a bad heart. I've definitely heard people say they can't handle the suspense of an atmospheric horror game like Amnesia either, though, which is a shame.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

I don't like jump scares either, but mostly because they're cheap and I have a bad heart. I've definitely heard people say they can't handle the suspense of an atmospheric horror game like Amnesia either, though, which is a shame.

I am one such huge pussy. I bought Amnesia for a couple of people with the instructions that they were to tell me about it. I did play through FEAR, so make of that what you will. Resident Evil 2 was enough.

Kickstarter is no more, long live kickstarter posted:

Kickstarter Inc is no more. We’re now Kickstarter PBC — a Public Benefit Corporation. We’re thrilled to share this news, and we’d love to take a minute to tell you exactly what it means.
Until recently, the idea of a for-profit company pursuing social good at the expense of shareholder value had no clear protection under U.S. corporate law, and certainly no mandate. Companies that believe there are more important goals than maximizing shareholder value have been at odds with the expectation that for-profit companies must exist ultimately for profit above all.
Benefit Corporations are different. Benefit Corporations are for-profit companies that are obligated to consider the impact of their decisions on society, not only shareholders. Radically, positive impact on society becomes part of a Benefit Corporation’s legally defined goals.
Kickstarter is excited to join a growing list of forward-thinking organizations — like Patagonia and This American Life — that have taken the big step to become a Benefit Corporation. While only about .01% of all American businesses have done this, we believe that can and will change in the coming years. More and more voices are rejecting business as usual, and the pursuit of profit above all.
If you want to see what we think is important, you can find a link to our Benefit Corporation charter below. We’ve spelled out a specific list of values and commitments we’ll live by: We renew our longstanding commitment to arts and culture. We declare how we plan to conduct ourselves in situations that are often swayed by profit motives. And we newly commit to donate 5% of annual post-tax profits to arts education and organizations fighting inequality. Every year, we’ll release an assessment of how we’re performing on the commitments we’ve made.
There was not a single dissenting vote by a Kickstarter shareholder to re-incorporate as a Benefit Corporation. We’re once again grateful for the support and partnership we’ve had from this group of friends, investors, and current and former team members. Thank you all!
From Kickstarter’s inception, we’ve focused on serving artists, creators, and audiences to help bring creative projects to life. Our new status as a Benefit Corporation hard-codes that mission at the deepest level possible to guide us, and future leaders of Kickstarter.
To all the creators and backers who have helped make Kickstarter what it is today — we’re excited to keep working with you, and helping new creative projects come to life as Kickstarter PBC.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Andrast posted:

Amnesia doesn't really have jump scares.

is this a joke

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Oasx posted:

I am nearing the end of it, the thing people think is a twist is actually an important part of the story, and it is revealed pretty early on

thanks, that sounds good

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

GetWellGamers posted:

On the reverse side, Undertale is an RPG Maker game kickstarted years ago with several lengthy dry spells of no content/communication, yet it came out this month and is absolutely fantastic. Figured I was throwing my money away but was very pleasantly surprised. :)
Game Maker actually. :goonsay:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RottenK posted:

is this a joke

Have you actually played Amnesia and do you know what a jump scare is?

Like, Amnesia really doesn't have a lot of jump scares. Sure it has a few but they are rare.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 22, 2015

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
yes i beat it

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it's a pretty good game though the highly praised water monster part wasn't scary at all and i don't get why people raved about it so much

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hav posted:

I am one such huge pussy. I bought Amnesia for a couple of people with the instructions that they were to tell me about it. I did play through FEAR, so make of that what you will. Resident Evil 2 was enough.
Once you get rolling in FEAR you are the monster jumping around a corner and murdering things, so it's not really a good comparison to most horror games.

EDIT: I remember basically marathoning the base game and all the expansion packs after I found the collection cheap somewhere and by the end of it my reaction to it trying a jump scare on me was jump kicking it, then going "oh that was a spooky phantom not an enemy".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only scary about FEAR was that loving ladder.

Good game though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mycot posted:

Why are JRPG Kickstarters all so awful? I mean I know JRPGs come with the implicit obligation to be big and epic, but this is the crowd that would be entirely happy with clones of Final Fantasy 6. They might even prefer the retro pixel art look. It's not that complicated.

Re: Bubbles the brief period of time when any no name project could get funded is over of course but I can't say people are less willing to be parted with their money overall. Shenmue 3 and Bloodstained are pretty recent.

jprgs are close to the worst genre in video games so it's not surprising the kickstarters are bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*presses the "Anime Hater" alarm button*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao i didn't realize that unsung heroes game got almost 700k. how do you gently caress up with that much.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao i didn't realize that unsung heroes game got almost 700k. how do you gently caress up with that much.

700k is basically nothing for making a fully featured RPG on. Pillars of Eternity made 4M and that showed the holes in its budget in a few places

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

700k is enough to pay like 5 or 6 people for 2 years of development. That's without rent for a place to work, health insurance, software licences, or backer rewards.

700k is a tiny budget for any game development cycle.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Class/Party based single player RPG's are ridiculously expensive affairs and if anybody goes to Kickstarter that doesn't have a giant "We have done this before" name stamp on the front page should not be funded.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It only is if they don't seek outside funding though. There is no way they ever intended to make a complete game from 600k but stuff like this also gets goals from other larger investment groups that say well if you can raise X amount we will fund the rest.

That's what's so awful about so many of the projects is that they clearly intend to get more funding after the fact but never address any of the agreements or anything made with other parties. I doubt they just decided to work on multiplayer for their project but it's very believable that their other funding sources pointed to multiplayer stuff and said make that or we don't give you money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Groovelord Neato posted:

At the risk of getting my taint reaped, this is what you look like right now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If many nights of my youth spent slapping FF6 tiles together in RPG Maker have taught me anything it's that RPGs are deceptively difficult to create. Even the shittiest of poo poo Tecmo Secret of the Stars Paladin's Quest retro garbage takes years of man hours and testing to produce.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've enjoyed all of Zeboyd's past games and im a massive sucker for phantasy star 4 aesthetic so backing cosmic star heroine was worth it. im looking forward to its release, even though it won't hold a candle to undertale

kablamo
Apr 6, 2007
title? what's that all about?
Action adventure platformer Gnomes vs. Fairies

Goal: $30,000
Deadline: Oct 19

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danoblack/gnomes-vs-fairies

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I find it interesting that if you browse kickstarter video games, sorted by campaign end time, soonest first, it seems to be that games either fund, or end up on <5%. There seems to be a very limited number of them that end up in the middle, partially funded. It seems all of the ones that end up with single-digit funding percentages (or dollar values) have lovely english and look like Unity Asset Store re-branding, or just have some concept art and nothing to show any potential for there being a game at the end of the process.

I wonder if the ones that are getting some interest, but not enough, are cases of the developers deciding, "Well we gave it a decent shot and we might be in with a chance if we re-tool, let's pull this campaign and work on presenting it again". I've backed a few games that did that, Outward - The Adventure Life Sim being one that comes to mind straight away, and I think it makes me more confident in a project where the developers have enough sense to know when they're not going to make it and go back to the drawing board.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well, if 90s band Korn likes it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hell, I'd kill a man to have KoЯn review my poo poo

e: Well that's what I get for opening tabs and wandering off :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

I find it interesting that if you browse kickstarter video games, sorted by campaign end time, soonest first, it seems to be that games either fund, or end up on <5%. There seems to be a very limited number of them that end up in the middle, partially funded. It seems all of the ones that end up with single-digit funding percentages (or dollar values) have lovely english and look like Unity Asset Store re-branding, or just have some concept art and nothing to show any potential for there being a game at the end of the process.

I wonder if the ones that are getting some interest, but not enough, are cases of the developers deciding, "Well we gave it a decent shot and we might be in with a chance if we re-tool, let's pull this campaign and work on presenting it again". I've backed a few games that did that, Outward - The Adventure Life Sim being one that comes to mind straight away, and I think it makes me more confident in a project where the developers have enough sense to know when they're not going to make it and go back to the drawing board.

It's been rumored that the reason it's nearly all either nowhere or full, is because certain big kickstarter doantors are willing to "rescue" a game that's trending ok but isn't quite there yet. These people might be making backchannel negotiations to get some of the revenue.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

On top of what everyone else said, their goal was only $600k. And it was probably a massively lowballed figure to make it easier to reach. They probably expected to blow past it and instead just barely crawled past the finish line, hence all the problems.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I have it on good authority that to Jonathan Davis, the lead singer of Korn, gaming is a religion.

I wonder if they are going to come up with a track that can hit up that kind of rush they get from the game. I bet they'll really rock it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

At the risk of getting my taint reaped, this is what you look like right now.

huh this isn't at all the same.

i mean you can all dogpile me but at the end of the day those people got more than they asked for and what they asked for was a good deal of dinero!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What they asked for was actually a pittance and that's why they're in trouble.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Now they're crying in a new update about how mean and unfair Kotaku is being.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean you can all dogpile me but at the end of the day those people got more than they asked for and what they asked for was a good deal of dinero!
700k is "move to a flyover state and dev in your basement for the rest of your life" money if you're one person.

If you're working on a project with a realistically-sized team asking for competitive salaries, 700k will evaporate in under a year. Mismanagement doesn't even factor into that number, that's just how much it costs to pay real professionals to dedicate their lives to a job.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

$700K sounds okay for an agile team of up to half-a-dozen skilled passionate indies. But those types of groups don't have titles like Chief Technology Officer or Chief Creative Officer.

I haven't been keeping up with Unsung Story, how much is Yasumi Matsuno involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Trapezium Dave posted:

$700K sounds okay for an agile team of up to half-a-dozen skilled passionate indies. But those types of groups don't have titles like Chief Technology Officer or Chief Creative Officer.

I haven't been keeping up with Unsung Story, how much is Yasumi Matsuno involved?

He wrote the story. He has nothing to do with any of the gameplay or anything else. I don't even think he's actively involved in the project anymore, as I think they've said the story is complete.