Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Renaming Highway 99 as Mos Eisley has a good ring to it. I sometimes take 99 home if I5 gets backed up due to an accident and yeah I can't think of an area there that isn't sketchy. They have lots of taco trucks that are delicious, though.

Also, I don't think there are any topless coffee bars, just bikini baristas. I would imagine a lot of them cracked down on any indecent exposure after that one in Everett got busted for prostitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Don't forget all the 24 hour "massage" parlors!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

Don't forget all the 24 hour "massage" parlors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlIEYhLHiw

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

literally every wallmart ever

The one in Moscow ID is almost not terrible. Almost. It's still lovely Walmart quality stuff, but the store itself is (or at least, was) clean.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Supreme Court declaring (more or less) that sleeping is a human right and that municipalities can't have blanket camping bans?

Bringing the subject home, I bicycled down the I-205 bicycle trail and once you clear Portland City limits, around Spring Water, there is basically a diffuse tent city along both bicycle trails. Some of these tents look pretty nice, too. I can imagine that there are a lot of people who aren't career homeless, but who really can't afford to live in Portland anymore.

(Please forgive me for my ignorance of homelessness, I know that it is a complicated subject. My own experience is that many (but not all) homeless people do have chronic problems that cause them to be homeless, rather than vice-versa. But with housing problems being what they are, this might no longer be the case. I don't really know. But there is a good chance that whatever the research and conventional wisdom on the matter is, it is inaccurate as housing becomes more expensive and more formal.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Did the SC actually say that? I remember the DOJ released an opinion to that effect but nothing beyond that.

I hope they actually do drop that hammer. Sleeping as a human right isn't an idea I'd come up with but the general war on the homeless has been actively disgusting me for a while. My city actually called an emergency council session to pass a boilerplate ban on "passing objects from cars to pedestrians" after the next city up the highway did the same thing and their regulars moved down here.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Supreme Court declaring (more or less) that sleeping is a human right and that municipalities can't have blanket camping bans?

Bringing the subject home, I bicycled down the I-205 bicycle trail and once you clear Portland City limits, around Spring Water, there is basically a diffuse tent city along both bicycle trails. Some of these tents look pretty nice, too. I can imagine that there are a lot of people who aren't career homeless, but who really can't afford to live in Portland anymore.

(Please forgive me for my ignorance of homelessness, I know that it is a complicated subject. My own experience is that many (but not all) homeless people do have chronic problems that cause them to be homeless, rather than vice-versa. But with housing problems being what they are, this might no longer be the case. I don't really know. But there is a good chance that whatever the research and conventional wisdom on the matter is, it is inaccurate as housing becomes more expensive and more formal.

The visible homeless have chronic problems like mental illness or substance abuse that make it hard for them to blend in. The invisible homeless don't want you to know they're homeless because it'll get them discriminated against, harassed, beat up, or killed. And they are very, very often minors.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
They ought to just go ahead and say that housing is a human right. All the facts are now indicating that if you provide housing to the homeless first, and put it in place so that they can keep it, then all their other problems decrease. If we stop worrying about how their mental health or drug habit keeps them from paying rent, and just pay it for them, then the system will likely face much lower costs for treatment and emergency health care. And even if they didn't, so what? It's a poo poo smear on the face of civilization for people to stroll casually to Pike Place Market past an entire park full of homeless people and their children.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

They ought to just go ahead and say that housing is a human right. All the facts are now indicating that if you provide housing to the homeless first, and put it in place so that they can keep it, then all their other problems decrease. If we stop worrying about how their mental health or drug habit keeps them from paying rent, and just pay it for them, then the system will likely face much lower costs for treatment and emergency health care. And even if they didn't, so what? It's a poo poo smear on the face of civilization for people to stroll casually to Pike Place Market past an entire park full of homeless people and their children.

A lot of people don't believe that the homeless and poor are human, and therefore do not believe that they will ever strive for self-actualization. It's the same argument that was used against abolition in the antebellum south.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A lot of people are more concerned with punishing those they perceive as lazy than actually addressing the problem.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Javid posted:

A lot of people are more concerned with punishing those they perceive as lazy than actually addressing the problem.

FYGM, add NIMBY to taste.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
If we give free houses to homeless people then everyone will become homeless so they can get a free house. :downs:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Well just so long as the houses they get aren't too nice. Like maybe pre-bedbug them or something? I'm just spitballing here.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oxbrain posted:

If we give free houses to homeless people then everyone will become homeless so they can get a free house. :downs:

It's usually closer to "if we're nice to the homeless then all of the homeless will come here. "

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

It's usually closer to "if we're nice to the homeless then all of the homeless will come here. "
This is definitely a thing I've heard from more than one person

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lord knows the homeless will travel thousands of miles for a free sandwich.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If that were at all true the homeless population in every state that isn't Utah would've vanished by now.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Javid posted:

If that were at all true the homeless population in every state that isn't Utah would've vanished by now.
Good luck convincing the FYGM's of that logical tidbit.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I thought all of the homeless were already here. I went to seattle the other day and saw FOUR of them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I know you guys are going to feel really bad about this...

quote:

Tim Eyman received secret payments from a paid signature-gathering firm and illegally used campaign donations for personal expenses, according to an investigation by the state Public Disclosure Commission.

In a 224-page investigative report, the PDC staff accuses Eyman, the state’s prolific anti-tax initiative sponsor, of violating multiple campaign laws.

“Given the seriousness of the apparent violations,” the PDC staff said, the commission’s penalty authority is too low. It recommended referring the case to Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s Office for legal action.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If I remember right it's not the homeless specifically but that the other cities will send the homeless there with one way bus tickets.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The homeless have been a problem here in Eugene for literally decades. We've long been a haven for career homeless, and the poorly-behaved amongst them make the whole population look bad. Some of the steps in trying to deal with them (particularly in the downtown area) have run afoul of constitutional issues, and in general it is an incredibly difficult problem to get a handle on. Eugene's downtown has been on life support for years now, and is just starting to show signs of recovery, but the homeless problem is a continuing stumbling block.

computer parts posted:

If I remember right it's not the homeless specifically but that the other cities will send the homeless there with one way bus tickets.

Yeah, I've been aware of this problem for a while now. Numerous municipalities, particularly in California, will buy one-way tickets for their undesirables and send them here.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
but if people don't have to worry about simple survival without a steady job then how will i, business, continue to pay them less for doing more?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Well just so long as the houses they get aren't too nice. Like maybe pre-bedbug them or something? I'm just spitballing here.

Give them only the cheapest dial-up internet and put them in neighborhoods with only mediocre brunch options. That cruelty will dissuade all but the most truly desperate.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

It's a poo poo smear on the face of civilization for people to stroll casually to Pike Place Market past an entire park full of homeless people and their children.

Mulva posted:

A lot of people don't believe that the homeless and poor are human...

Javid posted:

I don't think it's as simple as this. There is another aspect of all this that you all are ignoring. Many people are scared by the visible cronic homeless.

It's risk and fear. To stroll past, is to think the risk of interacting with that person is too high. To be afraid of the potential consequences of taking an action. People aren't poo poo stains for that. It's fear overriding empathy. They also see the needles on the ground in the parking garage. When I was younger (about when I started posting on SA actually), I used to interact with with homeless in Chicago a lot. When I'd come home from work I'd be covered in ore and/or coal/petcoke wearing a knee length military green stained all to poo poo float coat. Throw in a unkempt beard and very soiled boots, gloves, beanie and pants. I was off putting frankly. I used to interact with the homeless in and around Hyde Park the middle of the night after work. Sometime I'd have walk 20-25 minutes to get home after street parking. You end up talking to the homeless when you do that 3-5 times a week between midnight and 0400. Schizophrenia and drug use can be scary things to interact with. I used to carry power-bars and occasionally cigars. Had some interesting nights and conversations.

Now I have toddler. Risk and fear, right the gently caress on by. That exact park you are talking about near the market. Also some people haven't really ever seen, homelessness like that. They don't know it, it's a new thing to some of them. This isn't necessarily a class thing. It can be a haven't lived in cities thing. But that is still fear leading to "I don't know the man!" and it is a hell of a thing to confront. Don't write all of them (or me) off.

That said, this:

SedanChair posted:

All the facts are now indicating that if you provide housing to the homeless first, and put it in place so that they can keep it, then all their other problems decrease. If we stop worrying about how their mental health or drug habit keeps them from paying rent, and just pay it for them, then the system will likely face much lower costs for treatment and emergency health care.

That's spot the gently caress on. It's past indicating from what I've read. Utah brought chronic homelessness from 14.11% in 2005 to a stable-ish 3-4% 2012-2014, by providing housing.

Here's the thing I see that really bothers me out here. Lots of homeless South Asian women with children. I'm not talking so much in Seattle. Think out in Sammamish and Issaquah. It's seems like there is a thing going on with it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I was with a friend who offered a homeless dude in Monterey, CA half of his tuna sandwich and the homeless dude asked him if he had anything else and declined the half.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

BrandorKP posted:

Here's the thing I see that really bothers me out here. Lots of homeless South Asian women with children. I'm not talking so much in Seattle. Think out in Sammamish and Issaquah. It's seems like there is a thing going on with it.

A lot of people still don't realize the amount of sex work and human trafficking that happens in Seattle and the Puget Sound. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a byproduct.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Yeah, I can confirm that they are often victims of trafficking.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

computer parts posted:

I suspect this might become the case if homelessness is solved on a state by state basis. Except instead of voluntary, the homeless-unfriendly state arrests them per usual, then ships them to a homeless-friendly state. Probably under the cover of night.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Drunk Tomato posted:

A lot of people still don't realize the amount of sex work and human trafficking that happens in Seattle and the Puget Sound. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a byproduct.

Maybe we should follow weed's suit and legalize prostitution again.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
^^^ yes, legalize sex work ^^^

Providing housing for every person would be pretty solid. There'd have to be a ton of other support services to go along with it though. Some folks who've been living on the streets for years have a really hard time transitioning to living in a cramped indoor space and accumulating furniture and items.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The homeless have been a problem here in Eugene for literally decades. We've long been a haven for career homeless, and the poorly-behaved amongst them make the whole population look bad. Some of the steps in trying to deal with them (particularly in the downtown area) have run afoul of constitutional issues, and in general it is an incredibly difficult problem to get a handle on. Eugene's downtown has been on life support for years now, and is just starting to show signs of recovery, but the homeless problem is a continuing stumbling block.

Yeah, I've been aware of this problem for a while now. Numerous municipalities, particularly in California, will buy one-way tickets for their undesirables and send them here.
how, oh how, will capitalism survive if there are homeless in the downtown

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The constitutional problem he is talking about was a plan to basically ban people from sitting or lying on a sidewalk. The Oregon Supreme Court struck it down the sit-lie law for good reason.

Ultimately, most Oregonians talk about the great social and public services Oregon has and thats why people are coming up there but to be honest, they are actually laughably limited and underfunded even at the best of times. Oregon has a long history of being terrible at providing mental health services, going from either being incredibly abusive to simply having almost no services at all. The reason there are so many people talking to themselves on the streets of Portland is simply there isn't a safety net for them and they basically have to go into a full meltdown to be noticed.

As far as shelters, there is a 3 week+ waiting list for shelter space in Portland (and I wouldn't be surprised elsewhere either). A lot of people are on the street because they simply can't even get into a basic shelter. That coupled with the highest rising rents with the country, it is pretty predictable you are going to have a lot of homeless people.

If you want to talk about solutions, then you are going to have to spend quite a bit more money on the issue.

Beyond that, the rent crisis itself has very few solutions without massive drawbacks. If you expand the urban growth boundary there suddenly is the question of how you are going to transport people across the metro considering the freeways are now frequently jammed for most of the day and the MAX isn't a high capacity system. Fill in growth is reaching its limits in many neighborhoods which aren't really designed to be high density. There also really isn't a system anymore to build the large amounts of public housing you probably would need either.

Another issue is that Portland has lower wages (and often poorer working conditions) than many other metro areas, so even if people are working them may not be able to afford even a room to themselves at a certain point.

Oregon is a very liberal state in a libertarian/populist sort of way but it certainly has its limits.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

I would have an erection lasting more than 4 hours if that motherfucker goes to prison. Hell, just getting him out of the initiative business is giving me a semi.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

anthonypants posted:

how, oh how, will capitalism survive if there are homeless in the downtown

Do you know anything about downtown Eugene, or are you just being mindlessly argumentative again?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

effectual posted:

Maybe we should follow weed's suit and legalize prostitution again.

really the big problem with sex slavery is that it's illegal

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you know anything about downtown Eugene, or are you just being mindlessly argumentative again?
Somehow I don't think he's ever had anyone try to overturn the dining table he was sitting at, or walk into a restaurant and walk up to every table and scream about "THAT loving DOG LOCKED IN A CAR, DYING" (at 9pm at night) until escorted out.

I should stop going to Sizzle Pie or KillerBuger :ohdear:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CaptainSarcastic posted:

uhh, you're the one unironically arguing that people get bus tickets from California to Eugene

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

anthonypants posted:

uhh, you're the one unironically arguing that people get bus tickets from California to Eugene
Are you denying that this is a real thing that actually exists in cities across the country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

SeaborneClink posted:

Are you denying that this is a real thing that actually exists in cities across the country?

All true and important except that a one way ticket out of Vegas is a legitimate public service.

• Locked thread