Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

mllaneza posted:

You'll need the user handy to type their password, but Keychain Access.app has a first aid function. That's the first thing I'd try, because the second is poring through what the actual permissions are, and spending a lot of time in Console third.

Good hunting.

Alternately, nuke the keychain .plist file, delete the Keychain folder and then restart the computer. Forces a complete rebuild of keychain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's a beautiful thing if you have neighbors. It's like bringing a fire hose to a water-balloon fight.
gently caress everyone else.
"gently caress everyone else" is the reason you should be abandoning the 2.4GHz spectrum. Upgrade to 5GHz already.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

mllaneza posted:

You'll need the user handy to type their password, but Keychain Access.app has a first aid function. That's the first thing I'd try, because the second is poring through what the actual permissions are, and spending a lot of time in Console third.

Good hunting.

I created a brand new user and it was still doing it. Ran Keychain Repair and that came up bupkis and staring at Console while trying to unlock the Preference pane didn't help either.

It's the wackiest thing. The system still works fine but I can't unlock any Preference panes or install any programs! Another tech has been tasked to go out and take a look at it on site, he's probably going to end up re-imaging the machine.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I do microtik for routing and an open-mesh MR1750 for access point, mostly because I was testing them out and decided to keep it. Their range is phenomenal, even around reinforced concrete.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What's even the difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz, apart from the frequency? Does this frequency magically make wireless faster or something?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Segmentation Fault posted:

What's even the difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz, apart from the frequency? Does this frequency magically make wireless faster or something?

5GHz has more channels so there's less competing, but it also has really poor penetration through solid objects(walls) so the coverage isn't any good. Plus a lot of older devices aren't compatible.

I grabbed a dual band for my parents, and you can only connect to the 5GHz if you're on the same floor as the router. At the same time, since they live in NYC, there was over 20 SSIDs in range on the 2.4GHz band last I checked. So basically they're boned as far as WiFi goes.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I thought it was something to do with wall penetration so I looked into it

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/33537/why-do-higher-frequency-waves-have-better-penetration/33538#33538 posted:

The main advantage of higher frequencies is that they require shorter antennas for decent reception quality, and that's important for mobile devices. They also allow a wider band for modulating signals, so you can obtain higher frequency transmission.

But high frequencies are more sensitive to reflection, so they will have a harder time passing through walls and obstacles in general. At the same time, they will more easily leak through holes: a rule of thumb is that if you have a hole of the size of the wavelength, the signal can leak through it. But at the same time, you can't rely on it for a good transmission: so I'd say that the limit is quite fuzzy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

5GHz has more channels so there's less competing, but it also has really poor penetration through solid objects(walls) so the coverage isn't any good. Plus a lot of older devices aren't compatible.

I grabbed a dual band for my parents, and you can only connect to the 5GHz if you're on the same floor as the router. At the same time, since they live in NYC, there was over 20 SSIDs in range on the 2.4GHz band last I checked. So basically they're boned as far as WiFi goes.

Not if they start transmitting at 1000mW. They'll probably still be able to use the WiFi a block away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The signal's never getting back to the AP though

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

BaseballPCHiker posted:

"Dear [employee], you are a valuable contributor to our company. Please enjoy this $5 off coupon to the local car wash."

At least another employee nominated you though. Thats something.

one year, IT's holiday present was a $7.38 gift card to Wal-Mart for everyone.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Danith posted:

one year, IT's holiday present was a $7.38 gift card to Wal-Mart for everyone.

What a pisser.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Like every wireless device produced in the past 10 years is somewhere on the 2.4GHz band. It's a huge mess.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jewel posted:

I thought it was something to do with wall penetration so I looked into it

: a rule of thumb is that if you have a hole of the size of the wavelength, the signal can leak through it. But at the same time, you can't rely on it for a good transmission: so I'd say that the limit is quite fuzzy.

BRB, just going to drill a hole in my wall.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

MF_James posted:

This was supposed to go in the IT thread, I'm going to copy and paste there, but more visibility is always good :)

If anyone has patience for a wall-o-text and wants to help a newer sysadmin... please read on :)

We just ran into an issue in our environment that we're slightly stumped on, and have some ideas, but I'd like to throw it out here to see if more experienced goons can offer some suggestions.

A little background on our environment: We have 2200ish remote servers spread across the US, they run 2012 R2 and within hyper-V they host a single 2003 guest. We had 2 datacenters with 2 DCs each, we just opened up 2 new datacenters with 6 DCs, 2 physical and 4 VMs. We added the first set of 3 DCs a week or 2 ago, and we just added the second set of 3 DCs on Monday night.

Our issue is this, since tuesday morning we've had issues with a small amount of servers (5-10), with seemingly nothing in common other than this issue (and the fact that configuration of all those servers is standardized), get stuck booting each day. When you view the guest through hyper-v it's sitting at "applying computer settings". We have had some repeat offenders, but some brand new ones each day. Only 1 server has had the issue persist tuesday through today. This issue results in both local and domain logons not working (because the server is stuck) and our workaround is to disable the NIC via hyper-V, bounce the machine, and re-enable the NIC once the server boots; at this point local logons work and domain logons generally do not work, or less often will take an hour or more to actually login. We also have some 2012 R2 guests in our QA environment and we have the same problem with them, so it's not specific to 2003. Obviously, something happened when we threw up the last set of DCs, but since we are decomming the original 2 datacenters ASAP (once this issue is resolved) we are hoping to fix this rather than slash and burn, also change management stuff sucks.

Prior to last night AD sites and services has 5 sites, our 4 datacenters which each hold their respective DCs+subnets and then our 5th site is the 2200 remote machines and their respective subnets. After research we realzied this was causing the site with 3 DCs and first in the alphabet to take the brunt of the work, so we moved 1 DC from each datacenter site into our remote server site, hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't. What that did fix is it offloaded the LDAP/Kerberos authentications to all 4 datacenters (1 DC from each) and now they're doing round robbin instead of hammering the single datacenter. All sites are linked properly etc.

It doesn't (seem) to be an issue with DNS, dcdiag comes up clean on our top level DCs. We've just enabled verbose netlogon logging and verbose userserv logging. Everything I'm seeing is that this is either DNS or GP related due to our symptoms, but I would expect our incidents to be much greater than a handful a day. I do see errors processing group policy on our guest VMs sometimes and sometimes they have issues seeing the domain all together, but not all of the problem servers have the errors. What else should I be looking at to rule out or point the finger at DNS/GP, and what else can I log/etc to narrow the problem down? Part of the issue is that I can't just wildly reboot during the day and can't make changes etc without approval.

Holy gently caress :words: thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to read this.

*edit* also don't bash us for having 2003, we're in the process of converting to 2012 R2 on our guest images too, these new datacenters are the first piece of the puzzle.

We've seen the same issue with server 2012r2 on VMware 5.5. It has to do with the way windows 8 and above handles the tsc. Sorry if someone already answered this but I've been out of office for a few days

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
VP in accounting has been complaining about spreadsheets that crash and produce "too many formatted cells" errors. Her modus operandi is to report a problem to me and then not... let... me... speak. She'll repeat the same goddamn thing over and over and when I try to get a word in to make some headway toward resolution she'll cut me off and say "LET ME FINISH."

After about 15 minutes of listening to her going in circles explaining that she couldn't possibly be hitting the stored style limit on her 20+ worksheet ancient files and they couldn't possibly be corrupt in any way and she's worked on files soooo much larger and never had even a single problem I managed to make my escape. I downloaded the XLstyles tool and asked her to email one of the transgressors.

Maximum allowed styles in Excel 2010 is 64,000. This file's styles node count? 65257 :smithicide:

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It lived a good life.

I wonder how many WRT54g's are still alive and kicking in grandparents and parents households around the US. It has to be one of the most ubiquitous wifi routers ever. I mean back in the day that was what you got if you were lucky enough to have wifi devices that worked on G.

It's what I got from my ISP last year

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A complaint came in! Guys, what's the most tactful way for me to phrase this?

quote:

Dear client,
The part when you continued to complain after my apology and suggested steps for remediation was the exact point where I stopped caring about the whole issue.

Toodles,
JohnnyC, Team Lead of Support

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have to reply? I mean, if they've added nothing of value, there's nothing to say beyond "I have received and read your email"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You've apologized, you already lost this one, take their bitching and move on.

Never apologize to a client. At most admit a misunderstanding or miscommunication, worst case admit a mistake and provide your remediation. If you apologize they will attempt to teach you why you were wrong because you told them they were right.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

namol posted:

We've seen the same issue with server 2012r2 on VMware 5.5. It has to do with the way windows 8 and above handles the tsc. Sorry if someone already answered this but I've been out of office for a few days

Terminal services client? I doubt that's the issue since it's a very small subset of machines we're seeing it on and the fact that it's happening on boot when nobody is logged into the machine.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

MF_James posted:

Terminal services client? I doubt that's the issue since it's a very small subset of machines we're seeing it on and the fact that it's happening on boot when nobody is logged into the machine.

Guessing Time Stamp Counter

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Anyone have any experience with Ubiquiti's Lite line of APs? I'm not seeing much info as far as broadcast range or pricing. I may just see about ordering one and testing the range on it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It lived a good life.

I wonder how many WRT54g's are still alive and kicking in grandparents and parents households around the US. It has to be one of the most ubiquitous wifi routers ever. I mean back in the day that was what you got if you were lucky enough to have wifi devices that worked on G.

Not a home, but a small medical office - I replaced that exact wireless router because it was dying and range was terrible. I think my work even has a handful sitting in the recycling pile of our storage room, looking pitiful in their old, beat up boxes. They was good for home use while they lasted though, I had one for years in a 2 bedroom townhouse and got great signal everywhere when I added a high gain antenna.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyone have any experience with Ubiquiti's Lite line of APs? I'm not seeing much info as far as broadcast range or pricing. I may just see about ordering one and testing the range on it.

If you are asking about the ac line they are new and idk who has stock.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Sometimes a bridge deserves to be burned.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I am in a similar situation. One of our clients has an account as a contractor through another company, and they let their account expire. I e-mailed them to get it re-enabled, and the last message I got from them was "CCing the HR director on this." (literally that was the whole message.)

I e-mailed them again today and asked if they got the account re-enabled, and the response was "Have you asked $CLIENT?"

I have 2 more days of employment at my current place and I really want to just tear into this guy because gently caress you man, "Yes" would have been less typing you rear end in a top hat.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

An angry email from the GM came in.

Angry GM posted:

I submitted a ticket last week for the lights in the newsroom to be changed…. And nothing yet.
On a day like today it is too dark in there for them to see.

What is the status? And if possible, I would like it to be done this morning please.

A few things about this particular email.

1) Yes, he did send in a ticket, along with literally eight other people on the same day about the same problem.
2) There are two different types of lights in said newsroom: three banks of fluorescent lights, and a smattering of recessed halogen lights. The halogen lights were taken out of service over five years ago when they installed the fluorescent lights, and there are two fluorescent bulbs in an unoccupied corner that are blown. Two bulbs, not two fixtures.
3) The ceiling is 30+' (~9 meters) high and requires that we manage to navigate a 30' ladder literally through the ceiling to change said lights, as well as shutting down the news department and clearing everyone out for safety during the process.
4) These two particular bulbs were blown when I started two years ago and no other lights have changed.

So... my theory is that all this happened when our new creeptastic diva anchor started making demands about how he can't see because it's too dark pretty much everywhere he goes. It seems he has bitched about it so much over the past few months that he's recruited others in the news department to think that it is too dark in the newsroom and it's clearly because every bulb is blown, even though those lights haven't worked since a lot of them started here and the rest should remember them moving over to fluorescent. He has now convinced the news director and GM that we are purposefully not replacing bulbs and that it's too dark in there. (spoiler: It's not too dark in there; never has been, and never will be) It also seems he headed up a huge illumination coup by recruiting everyone to send in a ticket at the same time, because then we absolutely could not ignore something like that.

Here's a news flash, though: I certainly can ignore it and it was kind of cathartic to point out to both the GM and news director that the lights they are suddenly so concerned with haven't been operational in over five years.

It's just a bizarre combination of mass hysteria and management cowing to the talent's whims. At the very least, I'm not climbing a rickety thirty foot ladder to change two light bulbs.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Being a former Ubiquiti employee (and tech support at that), I can say that the Ubiquiti AP's are incredibly good. If you just want a general AP, the UniFi line is your best bet. But knowing your boss, he's going to want to go for some cheapass consume grade linksys poo poo.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think there are actually standards for illumination, make sure you're meeting them and you're good.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

go3 posted:

Did that years ago cleaning out trash prior to moving locations. Smashing that poo poo into a trash can is cathartic

Many years ago when I was in Computer Repair in high school, we had to throw away some old equipment. Long before anyone cared about recycling. We had some like 11" monochrome CRTs with permanent-wired cables, and we would just swing those bastards in a full arc right into the dumpster. Couldn't get any of the drat tubes to break.
That's one thing I regret about getting laid off--our admin, who got removed last November, had ~20 years of old poo poo in the back room that we were planning on getting rid of. Stuff he was adamant we could sell for good money on eBay, but never quite got around to auctioning. There was an old phone system that was sitting in the same spot for literally the entire 14 years I was employed there, gathering dust, and it was probably still there when I was a student. Boxes of old RJ45/BNC NICs from when we went all-fiber at a school (bad idea). T1 endpoints. Cisco hardware that you might be able to sell for $20 on ebay. Manuals for Novell stuff we hadn't used in 5 years, and was 5 years out of date when we did. I was really looking forward to pitching it all into the back of a recycling truck, far more than the never-ending pile of CRTs and 8-year-old computers we usually recycled every summer.

Ticket:
My microphone won't charge; I went through so many batteries last year!

We have Lightspeed sound systems, and we have two types of mics. The older LT71s use a pair of AA NiMH batteries and charging cable plugged into the back of the receiver. They worked fine. The newer Redmike uses a single AA NiMH, but it has to be a Lightspeed battery or it won't charge in its cradle. One redmike's power button broke, which prompted me to open it up, and I realized that beneath the spring end of the battery compartment, there's another wire poking up near it that's soldered to the circuit board. I looked at the first-party battery on line, and realized their batteries have a quarter-inch of the bottom wrapping cut away. The mic draws its power like any other AA device, but it charges through that second little wire. Virtually every third-party battery's wrapper will cover it. A quick score-and-peel with a knife and now I can use my $2.50 Eneloops instead of Lightspeed's $9 FDK batteries.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

FireSight posted:

Being a former Ubiquiti employee (and tech support at that), I can say that the Ubiquiti AP's are incredibly good. If you just want a general AP, the UniFi line is your best bet. But knowing your boss, he's going to want to go for some cheapass consume grade linksys poo poo.

I'm absolutely going to be keeping him out of this as long as humanly possible. I want to really do my research on this and come up with a 100% "this is how it's going to be" gameplan so I can propose it to the GM/Corporate and get their confirmation on the equipment and installation before supervisor can have his say. I want to nail down pricing, purchasing, setup, deployment, everything.

Consider the following: supervisor's version of wifi for an entire floor was the cheapest wireless router available running off of a 1.5mbps DSL line, and placed in the furthest corner of the building away from the nearest living person. He plugged it in, barely set it up, left it literally dangling from its network cable, was fully aware that it didn't actually reach any of the offices for people that would need it, stepped back, admired how lovely it was and reveled in the fact that while he had technically done what was asked of him, everyone was still going to be inconvenienced by it.

These are not the signs of good decision making in general, much less decisions that positively affect the business, our clients, and our employees. Hopefully, I can impress upon the powers that be that this is just another one of a million examples why he shouldn't be allowed to make IT related decisions, because, like you said, he's going to figure out the cheapest consumer-grade option so that he can show a really cheap price to the penny-pinchers up top and then I'm stuck babysitting a bunch of daisy-chained D-Links that are literally sitting on the floor in random places.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think there are actually standards for illumination, make sure you're meeting them and you're good.

Meh, it's basically one guy with a delusional sense of grandeur running around trying to "fix" all the problems at a podunk, backwater station, even if he has to invent said problems, he still looks like a super cool guy and all-around hero if he's the one that is instrumental in the sweeping changes that will take us all the way to #1.

Actually, that kind of sounds like me, so I'll shut up.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I was in a similar boat to you larchesdanrew. What I ended up doing was just making a nice little spreadsheet comparing Ubiquiti pricing to Aruba, Meraki, Ruckus, etc.. Except for (I think) Ruckus, Ubiquiti looks SO CHEAP in comparison.

It made me a little easier to sell, but I still got some push back for if we REALLY needed to upgrade from the consumer router we had in the back of the closet.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

beepsandboops posted:

I was in a similar boat to you larchesdanrew. What I ended up doing was just making a nice little spreadsheet comparing Ubiquiti pricing to Aruba, Meraki, Ruckus, etc.. Except for (I think) Ruckus, Ubiquiti looks SO CHEAP in comparison.

It made me a little easier to sell, but I still got some push back for if we REALLY needed to upgrade from the consumer router we had in the back of the closet.

I think it'll be pretty easy to sell the idea, since there's no way anyone could conjecture that I'm "upgrading" anything. For all intents and purposes, we don't have wifi. We technically have a wireless router and it does a thing, but it's functionally useless, and wifi for both business and visitor use is a (pardon the pun) ubiquitous service that even the smallest businesses offer, and we look reeeeeally lovely by not having it. Only good things can come from it, and I defy anyone to come up with an appreciable con.

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

larchesdanrew posted:

An angry email from the GM came in.

Buy a huge assortment of the cheapest desk lamps you can find.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh hey derp I'll look into this, but why wouldn't we have a problem until we added 2012 domain controllers? We've been running server 2012 R2 hosts with hyper-v 2003 guests for a year now and have not had a problem until we added 2012 R2 DCs to the mix... Group policy on the affected servers has not been altered at all.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

larchesdanrew posted:

I think it'll be pretty easy to sell the idea, since there's no way anyone could conjecture that I'm "upgrading" anything. For all intents and purposes, we don't have wifi. We technically have a wireless router and it does a thing, but it's functionally useless, and wifi for both business and visitor use is a (pardon the pun) ubiquitous service that even the smallest businesses offer, and we look reeeeeally lovely by not having it. Only good things can come from it, and I defy anyone to come up with an appreciable con.

Grumph.

I'm apparently the only one here who has not had a great experience with Ubiquiti, and it's definitely not for lack of trying. I think I've even written about it before, but I'll do so again.

I really really REALLY wanted to like Ubiquiti. The price point is great, the features promised are fantastic, and blah blah everything everyone else said.

However, after trialing it out at our own office and a small client, our first big deployment was in a downtown SF highrise. We knew this was probably one of the most challenging environments we could find, and we weren't exactly pleased at the idea, but the client (BIG loving SURPRISE) didn't want to spend real money. This was especially stupid because it was a high tech startup and hated wires. Literally, didn't want wires anywhere. People did not plug their computers in at their desk (they all had Macs of course, so manufacturer docks were out of the question and we really didn't want to try the Henge "drop it in I'm sure that won't end badly!" docks). So we had, at the end, 150 people on one floor (maybe 60x90 feet? oh yeah it was all open plan poo poo too, of course) all on wireless, and since it was again, an SF startup, things like "you should do your home stuff at home and your work stuff at work" didn't fly. Dropbox, Spotify, twitch.tv, hell one day someone forgot to turn off their torrents on their (company-owned) laptop when they came to the office and our network admin was like "guys why is there a connection to Saudi Arabia slash guess what the 30 Mbps pipe is completely full", which was actually a common occurrence because it took a full year of cajoling before they would upgrade the connection to even 100 Mbps which still wasn't really enough.

Anyway, the Ubiquitis did not hold up. We had 8 or 9 of the Pros around the office, supposedly the most reliable AP at the time, we made sure they were all on different channels, we made sure to set the minimum RSSI, we adjusted power so they would properly balance the amount of users on each. We still got dropouts, slowness, and general unreliability. We even at some point got two wireless experts in at different times, one of whom was a Ubiquiti person (not sure if employee of UBNT, but certainly supposed to be an expert on them) and they were just like "welp we got nothing, tell people to plug in".

Throughout all this I had tried multiple versions of firmware, and here's the thing I really had a problem with - Ubiquiti for quite a while was really behind on firmware. They had promised all these new features, but spoiler alert those were only in v3 of the firmware, and version two was from 2011. That said, we operated on that firmware (2.4.6) for a long time because it was supposedly the "stable" version, but we had so many issues we decided to try the beta v3 firmware (in production :gonk:), for release after release after release. Problems persisted and I think we did in fact get to v3 release firmware and they still had problems. Ultimately the client ended up finally buying a Cisco solution, which seemed to do the job (but, y'know, cost $20k because Cisco).

Fast-forward a year, we've gotten rid of that client (thank god), and another client needs an upgrade. They're in a suburb, no real wireless contention to speak of, and wireless usage is far more normal than the previous client. So, because this client also (SHOCKING) didn't want to spend money, we decided hey maybe the Ubiquitis just couldn't handle the admittedly terrible environment we'd thrown them into, and they still have so much promise blah blah de loving blah.

We got the AC access points (this was like 4 months ago, when supposedly all the early problems with the ACs had been fixed), and we have the same loving problems. Signal dropouts, inability to auth to RADIUS when there weren't signal dropouts, slowness, etc.

So we finally just replaced them with Merakis about 3 weeks ago, and so far those have been fine (which is also why I believe the RADIUS issues were on the UBNT side and not the RADIUS server).

Having been burned, quite badly, it will take a long time before I'll install Ubiquitis again, and that's a real shame because they have such a great pitch and seemingly good options. But they have been late on delivering firmware, they keep releasing new hardware before the old hardware is really even baked, and at the end of the day if they aren't reliable that's it, game over.

I wouldn't have a problem deploying them in a small environment, and they still offer a hell of a lot more than a Dlink or Netgear whateverthefuck from Frys, but as an enterprise level solution they've convinced me you get what you pay for.

I should add that my home AP is still a Ubiquiti AC which so far has been fine. (But I use almost nothing on wireless other than my phone).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

If you're not in the US, you have to deal with the fact that many countries don't allow the same set of channels as the US does, and a lot of devices will just default to the US channel range and/or provide extremely roundabout ways to set it.

For the Asus wifi adapter in my desktop I had to edit the driver .inf file to even make the region option appear. :shepicide:

It's worth the trouble though. 2.4ghz is barely usable in many urban areas because there'll be dozens of wifi networks, bluetooth devices and all kinds of cheap wireless devices that clutter up the 2.4ghz band with poor channel management.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

It depends on environment.

UniFi AC Pro. In my 3 story townhouse I can get wireless all the way from upstairs to downstairs.
and at the pool which is behind a whole 'nother row of townhouses

larchesdanrew posted:

light bulbs.

My last job had convinced me that it's IT's problem to change light bulbs and make sure the company is fire code compliant.

Reality: it's not. gently caress that place.That is what maintenance people and safety inspectors are for.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It depends on environment.

UniFi AC Pro. In my 3 story townhouse I can get wireless all the way from upstairs to downstairs.
and at the pool which is behind a whole 'nother row of townhouses

My last job had convinced me that it's IT's problem to change light bulbs and make sure the company is fire code compliant.

Reality: it's not. gently caress that place.That is what maintenance people and safety inspectors are for.

It's a giant brick ~200 year old building. Wifi doesn't travel very far and the structure seems to gently caress with how the signal carries. It'll go really far in one direction and then seem to go a couple of yards in the other direction. I may start off with ~15-20 APs and then heat map the building to see where the blind spots end up being and slowly add more in.

I can get less coverage with more cheap units, or buy half as many pro units. Then I have to see if we have any POE switches (we probably don't), so I'll need to invest in some new switches most likely.

The final conundrum is if I want to run all the cabling myself or hire it out.

Sorry to poo poo up the thread with my thought process.

• Locked thread