Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

zoux posted:

I remember those, I guess I forgot they we connected to the WTC thing.

I don't remember anyone being blamed or there being some intel fuckup. Maybe we were just new enough to the international terror game to write it off as a fluke.

Clinton's anti-terrorism efforts stopped the Millennium plot, which were a series of planned bombings in Jordan, LAX airport, and against the USS The Sullivans. Although The Sullivans was supposedly a fluke, since the boat carrying explosives in a proto-Cole style bombing sunk and detonated and no one knew until after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Rubio will walk out of the convention with it if he doesn't implode before then.

I think he's their best option to challenge Hillary in the general, dunno if it will be him though.

It just won't be Trump.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Bush vs. Clinton has been considered the default position for several years now. It's part of why his failure to do anything noteworthy so far has been met with so much narrative confusion.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The establishment candidate, like last time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

A Man and his dog posted:

My buddy is mad that I don't think humans will go to Mars anytime soon...

:raise:

I'm pretty bummed that it looks like it won't happen til the 2040s. Does anyone know if Bernie is pro-NASA? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

moller posted:

Bush vs. Clinton has been considered the default position for several years now. It's part of why his failure to do anything noteworthy so far has been met with so much narrative confusion.

It's also never made any sense because Bill Clinton's presidency was great and both of George Bush's presidencies were an unmitigated disasters, so for it to be even imagined by Republicans relied entirely on team politics and tribalism and people having zero memories of the past.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You guys see Colbert's interview with Cruz? He did a much better job than he did with Jeb. He actually got him to admit that he wouldn't support things that his hero Reagan did, which was great cause he spent several minutes building him up as the bestest president ever.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
The irony is palpable. Christie tells National Guard leader to slim down

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is Rubio liked by the establishment? Because if so I don't see how he doesn't eventually replace Jeb, in both debates he seemed smarter, more charismatic, and more exciting. In the first debate he seemed to have nervous jitters but by the end of the second he definitely seemed like the best option (in terms of having an actual chance to win) on the stage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fat gently caress forgets fatness, forwards friendly forewarning for foremost fort facilitator: Find fat-free food.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tender Bender posted:

Is Rubio liked by the establishment? Because if so I don't see how he doesn't eventually replace Jeb, in both debates he seemed smarter, more charismatic, and more exciting. In the first debate he seemed to have nervous jitters but by the end of the second he definitely seemed like the best option (in terms of having an actual chance to win) on the stage.

Rubio's never been one of the establishment's front runners, no, but after Walker imploded and Bush started his determined effort to not win the nomination Rubio seems to be emerging as the establishment's second choice for the moment. He brings some Hispanic points, is from Florida and might sway that state a bit, and as far as I know has stuck close to the establishment line.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

A Man and his dog posted:

My buddy is mad that I don't think humans will go to Mars anytime soon...

:raise:

I hope that Mars One thing works out. Watching people die of exposure in the Martian landscape will make for riveting TV.

FAUXTON posted:

Fat gently caress forgets fatness, forwards friendly forewarning for foremost fort facilitator: Find fat-free food.

Fantastic.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
You guys it's a wild night on the copyright train.

Noted garbage organization run by garbage people PETA has sued on behalf of Naruto The Monkey so that he can own copyright to his famous selfies.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/peta-sues-for-copyright-on-behalf-of-selfie-taking-monkey

Full doc here

http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/Complaint.pdf

quote:

35. Naruto through the Next Friends is informed and believes, and thereon
20 alleges, that, at all relevant times, Slater and Wildlife Personalities have, in this judicial
21 district and elsewhere, repeatedly infringed on Naruto’s copyright in the Monkey Selfies
22 by falsely claiming to be the photographs’ authors and by selling copies of the images for
23 their profit.

Professional Summary: This is a blatant cash/publicity grab, as PETA is planning to take control of all the royalties and use them "solely for the benefit of Naruto, his community of crested macaques, and preservation of their habitat." ("less necessary and appropriate expenses," of course).

Previously, the photographer whose camera the selfie monkey used sued to claim that he had copyright, and got firmly benchslapped for his trouble.

Nonhuman animals can't own copyright, and there is no possible benefit for them to do so. It would be straight up bonkers to even consider making such a legal precedent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sounds no less crazy as letting non-human persons own copyright.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trabisnikof posted:

Sounds no less crazy as letting non-human persons own copyright.

ORIGINAL OTHERKIN SELF PORTRAIT DO NOT STEAL

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fried Chicken posted:

How many seconds do you give him lasting as soon as Trump starts punching at him? He was the guy who wrote the immigration reform bill they hate so much, let Trump bring that out

I'm sticking with my conviction Bush will be the nominee.

Do you really think any of the people who are angry at Rubio over immigration are likely to support Jeb!? Rubio has his flaws but at the very least he can get two sentences out of his mouth without saying anything mindblowingly idiotic from a political standpoint.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I was thinking more about the non-human persons that run the world.

So lizard people.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Defenestration posted:

You guys it's a wild night on the copyright train.

Noted garbage organization run by garbage people PETA has sued on behalf of Naruto The Monkey so that he can own copyright to his famous selfies.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/peta-sues-for-copyright-on-behalf-of-selfie-taking-monkey

Full doc here

http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/Complaint.pdf

Professional Summary: This is a blatant cash/publicity grab, as PETA is planning to take control of all the royalties and use them "solely for the benefit of Naruto, his community of crested macaques, and preservation of their habitat." ("less necessary and appropriate expenses," of course).

Previously, the photographer whose camera the selfie monkey used sued to claim that he had copyright, and got firmly benchslapped for his trouble.

Nonhuman animals can't own copyright, and there is no possible benefit for them to do so. It would be straight up bonkers to even consider making such a legal precedent.

Nobody tell PETA it's a female monkey :ssh:

edit:
PETA blog post

quote:

Our argument is simple: U.S. copyright law doesn’t prohibit an animal from owning a copyright, and since Naruto took the photo, he owns the copyright, as any human would.

US copyright law

quote:

Works That Lack Human Authorship
As discussed in Section 306, the Copyright Act protects “original works
of authorship.” 17 U.S.C. § 102(a) (emphasis added). To qualify as a work of “authorship” a work must be created by a human being. See Burrow-Giles Lithographic Co., 111 U.S. at
58. Works that do not satisfy this requirement are not copyrightable.
The Office will not register works produced by nature, animals, or plants. Likewise, the Office cannot register a work purportedly created by divine or supernatural beings, although the Office may register a work where the application or the deposit copy(ies) state that the work was inspired by a divine spirit.
Examples:
• A photograph taken by a monkey.
• A mural painted by an elephant.
• A claim based on the appearance of actual animal skin.
• A claim based on driftwood that has been shaped and smoothed by the ocean.
• A claim based on cut marks, defects, and other qualities found in natural stone.
• An application for a song naming the Holy Spirit as the author of the work.

:lol:
I like how their blog goes into weird libertarian voodoo about how animals aren't ~truly free~ until they can own property in the human world, though.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 23, 2015

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I can't believe someone is trying to use the Air Bud strategy seriously.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lote posted:

And then finding out that the rules do in fact say that a dog cannot play basketball.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It is almost as if the activists' goals aren't to win the case but instead to generate a bunch of social media/old media chatter....

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Lote posted:

I can't believe someone named her "Naruto". Fuckin' nerds.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

AmiYumi posted:

I can't believe someone named her "Naruto". Fuckin' nerds.

I know, right?

She should totally be named Goku :nyoron:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FAUXTON posted:

Something like this happened irl.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eridani_Light_Horse_lawsuit

Otherkin tried to claim co-owner of Battletech because he made a robot for them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Something like this happened irl.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eridani_Light_Horse_lawsuit

Otherkin tried to claim co-owner of Battletech because he made a robot for them.

quote:

While he did not succeed in his bid to establish co-authorship in the property as a whole, it seems that in the end he got what he originally requested and then had to sue for --- simple recognition as a contributor to Battletech.

Wonder how much legal fees were.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

How is that any different from 9/11?

I'm not saying it's not ridiculous the double standard that Obama and Bush are being held to, it's just odd to me that even today there isn't some national political movement to blame 9/11 on the Bush administration, not in terms of jet fuel and steel beams, but that he failed to prevent 9/11.

For the same reason FDR was never blamed for Pearl Harbor (at least in the mainstream)?

zoux posted:

So do you think that, and I know all the historical counterfactual twisting you'd have to do to make it fit, but that Obama would get a pass if he'd been president on 9/11?

Absolutely.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 23, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also you can now sing Happy Birthday commercially now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So the DHS intends to enforce Real ID-compliant documentation when flying in the US in 2016. For the majority of people this is no change, your driver's license or state ID card is compliant. If you live in New York, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Louisiana, and American Samoa though, your driver's license is not compliant and won't be accepted. Right-wing news sites are flipping out about OBAMA MAKING YOU CARRY DOCUMENTS LIKE NAZI GERMANY even though they've been trying to get this done since 2005.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

So the DHS intends to enforce Real ID-compliant documentation when flying in the US in 2016. For the majority of people this is no change, your driver's license or state ID card is compliant. If you live in New York, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Louisiana, and American Samoa though, your driver's license is not compliant and won't be accepted. Right-wing news sites are flipping out about OBAMA MAKING YOU CARRY DOCUMENTS LIKE NAZI GERMANY even though they've been trying to get this done since 2005.

What's the hold up with New York? With their population, I'd have figured they'd have wanted to already be in compliance like the rest of the states not mentioned above.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Kalman posted:

Reducing the required safety testing is a bad idea, and price controls are a fairly extreme response to the problem given that the existing generics regime tends to work quite well once a drug can be genericized.

Would price controls be more or less extreme than throwing that guy in a wood chipper as an object lesson?

Antti posted:

Aside the H-1B there's a visa called L-1B that is used for "intracompany transfers of key personnel with specialized knowledge." They've simply widened the interpretation so that more employees can qualify for it instead of having to get a visa in the H-1B quota.

There's also complaining about allowing H-1B visa holders' spouses to get work permits but that seems like a perfectly reasonable thing for me.

That's hilariously underwhelming but thanks just the same!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ugh, and I just got my license renewed and didn't opt for the enhanced version :\

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 23, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

AegisP posted:

What's the hold up with New York? With their population, I'd have figured they'd have wanted to already be in compliance like the rest of the states not mentioned above.

Just pay $30 more and you're fine http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/about-federal-real-id

Yeah that's an OK solution :jerkbag:

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 23, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

For the same reason FDR was never blamed for Pearl Harbor (at least in the mainstream)?

This is a very good analogy, even with WW2 I don't think Americans ever expected that could happen.

The problem was our WW2-era response to the whole thing (if our response to WW2 was "let's invade India! (or any other completely unrelated country").

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

How many seconds do you give him lasting as soon as Trump starts punching at him? He was the guy who wrote the immigration reform bill they hate so much, let Trump bring that out

I'm sticking with my conviction Bush will be the nominee.

Trump will detonate his suicide vest made out of money before he allows that man to walk out of the convention with the nomination. Two hundred million in negative ad buys, whatever it takes. Trump may not be the nominee, but Bush isn't going to be either.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kalman posted:

And if it was a cap on cost chargeable by the pharmaceutical company, as opposed to cost to patient, they would be correct. Because it's proposed as a patient cost cap, they won't say it, and it wouldn't be true.

PhRMA president and CEO John Castellani posted:

Secretary Clinton’s proposal would turn back the clock on medical innovation and halt progress against the diseases that patients fear most.

You were saying?

Yeah, it's from a few pages back, but hey, as pointed out in the PPACA thread, Mother Jones has an article on it now.

In short, never underestimate the ability of corporate lobbying groups to always, always spin an attack on them as a bad thing for America in their PR.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Peztopiary posted:

Trump will detonate his suicide vest made out of money before he allows that man to walk out of the convention with the nomination. Two hundred million in negative ad buys, whatever it takes. Trump may not be the nominee, but Bush isn't going to be either.

Yeah, I am pretty solidly convinced at this point that a major motivation for Trump running was to stick it to Jeb Bush, personally and specifically.

Which is one of the many reasons they were hilarious neighbors at the last debate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't think he'd have been able to get away with pretty much anything that he wanted to like Bush did for 18 months afterwards, but I think he'd have benefited from the same level of support for at least a while.
The Republicans really benefitted from the Lock Step party thing they had going on during this time. Pretty much any attempt for moderate thought was met with 'Y U Hate America?!' Or 'these people hate our freedoms and understand only violence'

And to be honest the population was hurt, scared and confused. I entered college 5 days after 9-11, and I remember seeing a ton of little peacenotes tied to the trees around the student courtyard fountain. My initial reaction was some variant of 'loving hippies'. The media also did a piss poor job of trying to offer counterpoints to the War on Terror poo poo... It was pretty much Michael Moore talking poo poo about how it was avoidable, how the Saudis were getting a pass, and how Bush dropped the ball, but everyone was like 'lol bowling for columbine fatass hates Republicans!'

What absolutely would have happened is we would have strengthened our foreign relations situation. One of the things lost in the narrative is just how utterly and reprehensibly Bush pissed away all the international goodwill from the attacks so he could be Slim Pickens.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

What incentives do companies have to upgrade the common infrastructure if whenever they upgrade it their competitors get the benefit as well?

I'm a fan of net neutrality but this argument was raised to me by a lawyer who used to work with the FCC.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

Blowdryer posted:

What incentives do companies have to upgrade the common infrastructure if whenever they upgrade it their competitors get the benefit as well?

I'm a fan of net neutrality but this argument was raised to me by a lawyer who used to work with the FCC.

Not an expert on the subject, but when was the last time a car company voluntarily helped build a road or a bridge?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Maybe common infrastructure shouldn't be something built by the private sector at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Blowdryer posted:

gently caress private companies, nationalize all utilities.

• Locked thread