Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Try a different cable.

This is good advice, you could be using a power cable instead of data. If your phone registers with that cable, try reinstalling the Android driver (ADB driver? Been awhile)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

What phone you using right now hotsauce?

Note 5. Had my Note 4 for like 10 months, tried a few others during that, always came back to Sarnsung. Absolute record so I figured the 5 would be a good fit.

The new Nexus models, however.... all bets are off :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife logged into her Google account on my phone (Galaxy S4 with 5.0.1) to check her GMail inbox, and now my phone won't stop sending my sync requests for other accounts that she has related to her Google account, and every time I send her a G Chat message I get a notification on my phone about the message I sent. Is there a way to make my phone "forget" her account? The closest option I've found to removing any connection from my phone to her account sounds like it would just outright delete her account, which I obviously don't want to do.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Settings -> Accounts -> Google -> Click the account you want to remove -> overflow (three dots) -> Remove account

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Alternatively, you sort of sound like you still want her account on your phone, you just don't want to get stuff synced automatically? Go to settings -> accounts -> Google -> her account, and uncheck stuff you don't want to sync on your phone. If you want her stuff to sync but not notify you, the individual apps (Gmail, Hangouts, etc) should allow you to turn off notifications for specific accounts, just look at settings within the app.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Pinball posted:

I have a 2012 Nexus 7, and recently I've been having a weird issue with it. Whenever I plug it into a computer via USB, the computer doesn't detect it at all. I've tried different computers, different USB ports, switched the tablet from MTP to PTP, and nothing seems to make the computer recognize it. What's going on with it, and is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

E: Or would this be an issue on the computer's end that needs to go to a different forum?
This might be a dumb reply but when you plug it in, does your phone still need your password/pin/pattern to unlock it?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Airborne Viking posted:

This might be a dumb reply but when you plug it in, does your phone still need your password/pin/pattern to unlock it?

That's another distinct possibility I didn't mention.

FYI the Nexus 7 is a tablet, but that could change in 2016!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've finally decided to jump in and get a new phone, specifically the Moto X Style I asked about a bit back. Now the question is if there's anything cool I could use my GNex for? No-one I know needs a phone, let alone an old one. I was thinking of just flashing CM or something on it because I've never done that before. I don't need a dedicated MP3 player or a security camera device or anything like that. So would just flashing a ROM and keeping it around as a backup a good way to go? I doubt I could sell the thing.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Dedicated Chromecast remote?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Perk? Swagbucks? Get a whole bunch of GNex's and throw at people in the street like the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Mine Bitcoins with it! (don't)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Holy poo poo. There isn't a single Android phone that beats the two-year-old iPhone 5S in single core performance. How do you nerd dweebs obsessed with specs even justify not buying iPhones at this point?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cremnob posted:

Holy poo poo. There isn't a single Android phone that beats the two-year-old iPhone 5S in single core performance. How do you nerd dweebs obsessed with specs even justify not buying iPhones at this point?

Mostly I just feel bad that my monitor isn't wide enough to display this post.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm cheap and buy cheap phones.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I like being able to downloading mp3s and not buying songs via iTunes. And not using iTunes at all. And not being one of those people who instead of saying "my phone" I have to say "my iPhone". Like, instead of saying "hey, can you grab my phone for me?", every single iPhone user will say "hey, can you grab my iPhone for me?" And that drives me insane.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Tiny Lowtax posted:

And not being one of those people who instead of saying "my phone" I have to say "my iPhone". Like, instead of saying "hey, can you grab my phone for me?", every single iPhone user will say "hey, can you grab my iPhone for me?" And that drives me insane.

dafuq is this?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I like being able to downloading mp3s and not buying songs via iTunes. And not using iTunes at all. And not being one of those people who instead of saying "my phone" I have to say "my iPhone". Like, instead of saying "hey, can you grab my phone for me?", every single iPhone user will say "hey, can you grab my iPhone for me?" And that drives me insane.

Chill out guy.

Sent from my iPhone

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Very low effort troll. B minus

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

cremnob posted:

The iphone isn't even on this list - conclusive evidence that iphone is terrible.

lmfao iphone6ps can't even beat a htc one

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 23, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You are replying to a cremnob post, the terrible is you

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Newsman posted:

The iphone isn't even on this list - conclusive evidence that iphone is terrible.

lmfao iphone6ps can't even beat a htc one

While Cremnob is obv trolling, the iPhone 6s score is :stare:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3515453

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

While Cremnob is obv trolling, the iPhone 6s score is :stare:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3515453

iPhone 6S on iOS 8.1?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here's the Huawei Nexus 6P. It looks terrible.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/22/exclusive-here-is-the-nexus-6p-in-all-its-glory-front-and-back/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

RVProfootballer posted:

iPhone 6S on iOS 8.1?

code:
Operating System	iOS 9.0
Model	iPhone8,1
iOS 9 but the internal model number is 8,1. They are separate.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
New Nexus looks like dog rear end.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The large bezels is used to fit in more radars that can spy on you for the chinese government

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon looks like they briefly posted specs of the 5X. If they are true, looks like only 2GB of RAM is along for the ride (this was mentioned in a few other leaks too so I would say it's likely.)

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/23/nexus-5x-specs-amazon/

code:
Display		5.2-inch IPS LCD (1920x1080, 423ppi)
OS			Android v6 Marshmallow
Processor	1.8Ghz Snapdragon 808 processor (MSM8992)
Camera		12.3MP rear camera; 5MP front camera
Battery		2700mAh
RAM		2GB
I hope the 16gb ends up being under $399 because I really can't see grabbing that over the Moto X Pure unless you truly can't tolerate the size.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
My favorite reaction so far:

https://twitter.com/Gamercore/status/646498554320584704

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I buy my phone primarily based on looks and how others will judge me if they see me using it, so I can't buy this phone :(

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

bull3964 posted:

Amazon looks like they briefly posted specs of the 5X. If they are true, looks like only 2GB of RAM is along for the ride (this was mentioned in a few other leaks too so I would say it's likely.)

Android Police think that it will be like the LG G4 and the 16GB model will have 2GB and the 32GB will have 3GB. Hope so.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
If the new Nexus 5 is $399 for only 16GB of storage that's a little rough.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ugh, I was hoping for more from the 5x. Looks like I may stick with my S6 for longer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kind of feel like OEMs are doing this "storage AND RAM" thing so it's harder for people to whine about "b-b-b-but an SD card is only $5! Why does it cost $50 for more NAND?"

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TraderStav posted:

code:
Operating System	iOS 9.0
Model	iPhone8,1
iOS 9 but the internal model number is 8,1. They are separate.

Ahh, got it.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I kind of feel like OEMs are doing this "storage AND RAM" thing so it's harder for people to whine about "b-b-b-but an SD card is only $5! Why does it cost $50 for more NAND?"

Nah, everyone knows they're screwing you on NAND but since every mfg. does it, we really don't have a choice so people complain (and then buy 64gb microSD cards for $19 on Amazon).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hotsauce posted:

Note 5. Had my Note 4 for like 10 months, tried a few others during that, always came back to Sarnsung. Absolute record so I figured the 5 would be a good fit.

The new Nexus models, however.... all bets are off :v:

I'm in the same boat. As much as I like the Moto G I am having some serious tech lust at the moment and want to upgrade already. There is nothing WRONG with the G, but feel like I want more. How is the battery on the Note? Very interested to see how the 5x plays out. OIS camera may tip me over to that.

Moey posted:

Ugh, I was hoping for more from the 5x. Looks like I may stick with my S6 for longer.

How is the battery going for you on the S6? If the Nexus 5x/6p are losers I may pick one of these two up.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I think it looks cool... Like a prop from the first 2 seasons of Star Trek TNG.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yeah, I kind of like it. It's different enough, but not too over the top.

5X is my next phone, though. I don't want the huge phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I, too, wish my phone looked like a late 1980s sci-fi prop.