Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Michaellaneous posted:

The Tirpirz is to the Deutschland what the Deutschland is to the Hipper.

Not at all. The biggest increases of the Bismarcks over the Deutschlands were precisely the smallest increases of the Deutschlands over the Hippers. The Hippers and Bismarcks were pretty much balanced designs, and the Deutschlands were pretty lopsided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm sorry Mr. Pubbie me blowing up your Cleveland with a Fuso in 1 salvo at less than 10km while you're sitting completely still is not me getting lucky with the RNG no matter how much you might wish it.

I dream of the day Ocean is removed from the rotation.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

DurosKlav posted:

I'm sorry Mr. Pubbie me blowing up your Cleveland with a Fuso in 1 salvo at less than 10km while you're sitting completely still is not me getting lucky with the RNG no matter how much you might wish it.

Hahahaha. I wish I could fight a Cleveland that dumb.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

wdarkk posted:

Hahahaha. I wish I could fight a Cleveland that dumb.

Ya he had his broadside to me as well. Now the Kongo at full HP 2 minutes later that I got a devastating strike on at medium long range with 2 citadels. He has an argument.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 22, 2015

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
NA/US (?) servers seem to get more giveaways than EU. Does Ping have a significant effect on the game?

Are there any codes that I should be using before starting to play, anything that gives someone else here free stuff if I click on their link?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
It just affects response time to your control for this game, so no it doesn't have significant effect.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

PST posted:

NA/US (?) servers seem to get more giveaways than EU. Does Ping have a significant effect on the game?

Are there any codes that I should be using before starting to play, anything that gives someone else here free stuff if I click on their link?

Ping: No, and besides, I get an unusually good latency to the WOWS NA server from EU. Around 100-100 ms, and it feels really smooth.

There are invite codes, though I don't remember any off the top of my head. Look around a bit.

edit: invite code for NA only: WOWSREDDIT - 3 Days of Premium, 500 Doubloons, and 150,000 credits.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 22, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Dalael posted:

Carriers are not for everyone. But the langley is pretty bad tho. When you get to a higher tier, the ship moves faster,....

And most pubbies in high tier carriers still park their bote behind and island at All Stop. That way they never ever have to look at the minimap or unzoom from the plane view.

Is WG putting the Deutchland class in the cruiser line?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

MoraleHazard posted:

It's not in the release line. I'm not sure how they'd balance it as a battleship: its armor is absolute dog poo poo even for tier 3 (or for a cruiser - it's weaker than any heavy cruiser currently in the game), it's much smaller than any battleship and its guns aren't good enough to make up for it. As a cruiser they only have two (real) successors without switching over to battleships, and I don't think the P class would work at tier 10.

As far as I know Wargaming hasn't settled on where to put them.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

MoraleHazard posted:

And most pubbies in high tier carriers still park their bote behind and island at All Stop. That way they never ever have to look at the minimap or unzoom from the plane view.

I'll admit being guilty of doing that myself. Hiding behind an island that is. I tend to find an island that is relatively close to the front line in order to have a faster plane turn out. It also helps insuring that one of your side is safe(r). However, I keep a really close watch to the minimap so that I can get the gently caress out of there if a DD comes my way and no one stops it despite my desperate pleas. Same for enemy carrier's plane that skirts the edges of the map and takes most of the match to reach me.

All in all, I can't say if its a sound strategy or not. I'll survive plenty of matches and sometimes get caught unaware. I'd rather sit behind an island and sometimes get sunk, than hide in the corner of the maps like plenty of other carrier players.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well so far I really like my Colorado, but that might just be me. And I only do have the propulsion upgrade so far.

Despite not liking it at all, my stats say I did pretty well in it. The accuracy is poo poo but that matters less if you're always aiming to get close and brawl with other ships. Get the AA mod and slaughter planes with your decent AA guns (with the final hull upgrade).

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Dalael posted:

I'll admit being guilty of doing that myself. Hiding behind an island that is. I tend to find an island that is relatively close to the front line in order to have a faster plane turn out. It also helps insuring that one of your side is safe(r). However, I keep a really close watch to the minimap so that I can get the gently caress out of there if a DD comes my way and no one stops it despite my desperate pleas. Same for enemy carrier's plane that skirts the edges of the map and takes most of the match to reach me.

All in all, I can't say if its a sound strategy or not. I'll survive plenty of matches and sometimes get caught unaware. I'd rather sit behind an island and sometimes get sunk, than hide in the corner of the maps like plenty of other carrier players.

I agree with you there; the corners are far, far worse.

edit: Unlocked the Fury Taco. It's not a bad ship, great for ripping apart Omaha's with AP. Considering how slow the turrets turn, I can imagine what this thing was like before the buff.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 23, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Dalael posted:

You're not wrong if you go closer, just don't stop, keep moving and hope the glob of ships your close to doesn't fold too quick. Most people don't realize closer to the front a carrier gets the faster they service aircraft, and the more damage they do, edge of map carrier players are scum and deserve everything they get :v:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I haven't played in a while, 2 major patches or so, but I tried playing earlier and my frame rate was crazy. Constantly swinging between 30 and 80 FPS. Is this a known thing? It's kinda disorienting.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Just wait until you get into a game where everything drops to 5 FPS because of a reason. The fix, you ask? Die and it goes back to normal. :suicide:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What are the recommended skills for a IJN BB Captain?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

Ping: No, and besides, I get an unusually good latency to the WOWS NA server from EU. Around 100-100 ms, and it feels really smooth.

There are invite codes, though I don't remember any off the top of my head. Look around a bit.

edit: invite code for NA only: WOWSREDDIT - 3 Days of Premium, 500 Doubloons, and 150,000 credits.

Playing on the NA server as a euro will give you utter poo poo MM most of the time tough, NA playerbase is just too small and you likely play during the quiet hours.

Really wish they'd get their poo poo together and allow for roaming between NA and EU for botes and tanks.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

First time I noticed this but my 3 citadel hits were not counted in the final tally screen, they were just normal hits?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

stephenfry posted:

compared to most game devs, yes -- look at MWO, WT, most MMOs. this is the genius behind tanks. the game is unhackable, because of the unpopular decisions around spotting mechanics and RNG. The client is really quite thin. They haven't applied the same philosophy to warships, making it fun and vaguely reflective of real function in the short term (HE shells really are that bad to have raining down on your warship irl, you the player are the gunnery skill of the crew etc) but opening it up to disparity in the long run.

The issue I have with HE is that quite often a fast firing light cruiser will sink a battleship faster than another battleship.
This feels weird, and makes me want a battleship with 30 155mm guns or so.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Burt posted:

First time I noticed this but my 3 citadel hits were not counted in the final tally screen, they were just normal hits?

What do you mean? You have 27 shell hits and 3 citadels. Look at your AP Shell hits, and you'll see 30 for total AP shell hits. The damage caused by citadels goes under the shell type that caused the citadel (so typically AP damage).

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I thought I'd test out the game and remebered I still had a bonus code from the E3 Humble Bundle, but I just realized that this is only valid for the NA server. As I'm located in central europe I'll be happy to give the key to any NA playing goon who wants it, just send me a PM.

Code went to Axetrain, anyone who wants it now has to fight him irl.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 23, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Feindfeuer posted:

I thought I'd test out the game and remebered I still had a bonus code from the E3 Humble Bundle, but I just realized that this is only valid for the NA server. As I'm located in central europe I'll be happy to give the key to any NA playing goon who wants it, just send me a PM.

Code went to Axetrain, anyone who wants it now has to fight him irl.

Gold, premium and a Murmansk! This is a great excuse to take a break from the scourge that is WoT for a bit :swoon:.

Also fite me m8s.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

What do you mean? You have 27 shell hits and 3 citadels. Look at your AP Shell hits, and you'll see 30 for total AP shell hits. The damage caused by citadels goes under the shell type that caused the citadel (so typically AP damage).

He's noting the line that says "penetrations" showing as zero. I might be wrong, but I think there are two different types of penetrating hits, the first penetrates into the ship but doesn't make it to the citadel, and that gives the ~2500-4500 type damage hit you see. The second are true Citadels and for some reason it looks like those aren't being scored as "penetrations." I've had something similar happen.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

El Disco posted:

Despite not liking it at all, my stats say I did pretty well in it. The accuracy is poo poo but that matters less if you're always aiming to get close and brawl with other ships. Get the AA mod and slaughter planes with your decent AA guns (with the final hull upgrade).

Have you played ranked battles with the Colorado? I feel like I'll jump myself to the final hull, but in a ranked battle the climate should be more hospitable I believe...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

Playing on the NA server as a euro will give you utter poo poo MM most of the time tough, NA playerbase is just too small and you likely play during the quiet hours.

Really wish they'd get their poo poo together and allow for roaming between NA and EU for botes and tanks.

That's not my experience.. I typically see between 6000-12000 players on, which is enough for decent MM.

Agreed on the roaming >_>

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Hazdoc posted:

Exactly, but the little lightning strike icon on the damaged caused doesn't indicate 3 citadels, it's just 30 hits, not 27 hits and 3 crits.

Or does the lightning strike mean something else?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

He's noting the line that says "penetrations" showing as zero. I might be wrong, but I think there are two different types of penetrating hits, the first penetrates into the ship but doesn't make it to the citadel, and that gives the ~2500-4500 type damage hit you see. The second are true Citadels and for some reason it looks like those aren't being scored as "penetrations." I've had something similar happen.

I'm not sure what you're looking at. It shows 30 hits total and 28 penetrations on the damage detail screen, which matches the 27 hits and 3 citadels on the victory screen if 2 of the non-citadels were bounces.

There are also overpenetrations, which do around 1000 damage on average.

jownzy posted:

Have you played ranked battles with the Colorado? I feel like I'll jump myself to the final hull, but in a ranked battle the climate should be more hospitable I believe...

Haven't tried ranked battles yet, and I already sold my Colorado for the North Carolina. There are still carriers in ranked battles, right? You may want to wait till you get the AA up to snuff, since they'd be even more likely to focus on you.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The lightning strikes are incapacitations, not citadels

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Krogort posted:

The issue I have with HE is that quite often a fast firing light cruiser will sink a battleship faster than another battleship.

The problem is that in reality:
1) Both HE and AP options are filled with explosives. The HE shell is meant to kerplode on impact, the AP shell shortly afterwards so that it blows up behind the armor. Explosions in closed spaces tend to be a lot more impressive than explosions in the open, particularly when said enclosed space contains all the poo poo that makes the boat useful. It makes no sense that AP isn't loving up modules and dealing such low damage.
2) Shell damage doesn't really scale very well as shell size increases. As the diameter of the shell increases, the amount of explosive filler increases exponentially. This is alao compounded by the lower caliber guns having ridiculously low reload times.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

El Disco posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking at. It shows 30 hits total and 28 penetrations on the damage detail screen, which matches the 27 hits and 3 citadels on the victory screen if 2 of the non-citadels were bounces.

There are also overpenetrations, which do around 1000 damage on average.

Haven't tried ranked battles yet, and I already sold my Colorado for the North Carolina. There are still carriers in ranked battles, right? You may want to wait till you get the AA up to snuff, since they'd be even more likely to focus on you.

You're right; drat my aging eyes.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Krogort posted:

and what got in the way of doing that irl was the nature of naval engineering and properly armoring that many gun positions. Also, larger calibers can have basebleed shells that are actually worth firing over 12k+, though I think in combat only the USN used those?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

stephenfry posted:

and what got in the way of doing that irl was the nature of naval engineering and properly armoring that many gun positions. Also, larger calibers can have basebleed shells that are actually worth firing over 12k+, though I think in combat only the USN used those?

Pretty sure base bleed was a '60s invention. And 12km was pretty reasonable range. There's a recorded incident of two Iowas straddling a destroyer with their first salvo at roughly 20 miles. They didn't hit though. Honestly the loss of accuracy from base bleed likely wouldn't be worth it in WWII naval fighting, or in general with unguided projectiles.

On the subject of 6" guns on a BB they call those secondaries and put them on to keep destroyers at bay. Yamato had 12 when made for instance.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Burt posted:

Exactly, but the little lightning strike icon on the damaged caused doesn't indicate 3 citadels, it's just 30 hits, not 27 hits and 3 crits.

Or does the lightning strike mean something else?

The "lightning strike" crits are you incapacitating/killing primary guns or shooting someone's engines or steering out.

Magni fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 23, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Also consider that the rate of fire in this game does not reflect reality.

The New Orleans, for example, could manage around a 20 second reload with its 8 inch guns, with each gun firing 3 rounds per minute.

The Bismarck's 15 inch guns had an identical rate of fire at 3/minute while the Iowa managed 2 rounds/minute. You aren't loading either 8 or 16 inch shells without mechanical assistance and the BBs had a lot more of that to compensate for the larger shells. So a number of BBs are actually firing a bit slower than reality while the cruisers are firing much faster.

On top of that it's not like the smaller guns on the cruisers were any more accurate than the big rear end battleship guns. There are a lot of contrivances in place to put cruisers on par when it comes to gun fights.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 23, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Screw Tier 8~10 snipe fest, I'm a brawler. Don't snipe in NC, it sucks.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I misclicked and accidentally brought a tier 1 into a tier 3-4 game with a friend. Decided to go into the common destroyer lane in the map, Ended up engaging one, and proceeded to completely and thoroughly gently caress his day up. He ended up beaching himself and that gave me the opportunity to pump HE into his side. He tried to fight back, and he would've gotten me if I hadn't visibly seen him firing torpedoes. In the end, he died and I wouldn't be surprised if he ragequit for the day because goddamn, a tier 3 destroyer losing to a starter ship has gotta suck.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

People must've been losing their minds on your team as well on seeing a tier 1 ship and thinking that you're a waste of a slot that someone higher tier could've filled.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
The T1 gunboats can do alright punching up. They're like US destroyers, just slower and lacking smoke or torpedoes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think I've finally worked out how to play US mid-tier destroyers. Load HE and fire constantly from max range. Your small size makes you hard to hit, your guns are laser-accurate, and against some enemies you can fire while remaining undetected. (as long as you remain at max range)

Or just try and ambush people near islands, but good luck with that on the Ocean map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Kuma is life, Kuma is love. Killed an enemy destroyer trying to rush, then killed two more (but not before they sunk our carriers). By that time, the team had collapsed and it was just a few battleships up north. I help kill a St. Louis out in the middle of nowhere, then rush through the strait with the last destroyer on our team to kill the two enemy carriers. by this time, we're the only ones left. The destroyer gets a torpedo run in on a Wyoming that was steaming south to kill us, but dies in the process. I finish off the Wyoming but get my propulsion blasted out by the last ship on the enemy team, a South Carolina. At this point I'm dead in the water with ~2000 HP left and dead in his sights, but I load AP and pull off a lucky 12km citadel that ends the game.

I'm gonna miss this ship.