Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

zedprime posted:

The genome soldiers had gene therapy based on Big Boss' genotype. The focus on Big Boss' genotype is kind of a weakness left over from Zeros original prerogatives dictated to the AIs. As the series goes on you see the AIs shift the focus on genetics of the hero to focusing on the idea of a hero's upbringing and experiences, like with Raiden, to finally embracing the war economy and letting the PMCs separate the wheat from the chaff on a huge scale.

These are the Gene Meme Scene themes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

the medic was also a soldier. One of MSF's best, according to Big Boss himself

Yeah this is true, but none of the other Snakes were medics. And it's not like it made a huge difference.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Theme's Jack!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

My favorite fake spoiler was the one where Paz was part of a series rapid-aging of Boss clones Zero whipped up.
My favorite fake spoilers are the ones that are so out there they can't possibly be real. Like "Dumbledore Kills Harry". So my fave MGSV one so far is this one(youtube, nsfw for language and violence)
Are you loving kidding me? that's his dad? That doesn't make any sense!

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I just beat The Truth, and I'm wondering now if the previous 5 games of this series that I played and that I thought said interesting things about the cold war, nuclear proliferation, and social control, didn't actually have as little to say as this latest one.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Snak posted:

My favorite fake spoilers are the ones that are so out there they can't possibly be real. Like "Dumbledore Kills Harry". So my fave MGSV one so far is this one(youtube, nsfw for language and violence)
Are you loving kidding me? that's his dad? That doesn't make any sense!

honestly disappointed that miller wasn't actually ocelot

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

honestly disappointed that miller wasn't actually ocelot

When I run out of real things to say about the game, I will write up some of the crazy theories I had during my first playthrough.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Strangelove's snuff tape suggests that she was going to program the Patriots to be less batshit and more kindly towards people, like the Mammal Pod. Then Huey killed her, putting the AI into the hands of SIGINT who is apparently bad at AI programming.

Huey is responsible for the Patriots being the way they were. gently caress Huey.

Almost every bad thing that happens in the entire metal gear series can ultimately be traced back to Huey

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Heavy Metal posted:

Just listened to all the Truth recordings while doing some side ops, great stuff.

One bit I found cool was Zero visiting Snake (classic Snake) during his coma.

Unrelated, but if Naked Snake is Classic Snake, what is Venom Snake? Is he Diet Snake? Snake Zero? Is Solid Snake Cherry Snake? Maybe Liquid is Pepsi. :tinfoil:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

When I run out of real things to say about the game, I will write up some of the crazy theories I had during my first playthrough.

From the very beginning I was like, "There's probably a fake Big Boss running around and he's the true leader of XOF and I'm gonna have to kill him by the end of this game."

Eventually that theory evolved into, "Ishmael from the intro is probably the fake Big Boss because they're both voiced by Chief Kief and stuff, can't wait to fight that clone!"

Near the end it evolved once more into, "Alright so Skullface was the leader of XOF but with Zero out of the picture Cipher overall probably has a new leader, can't wait for Ishmael to turn out to be the fake Big Boss I've been wondering about!"

And I have to say, finding out that actually I was the fake Big Boss all along was pretty effective in the moment. It has its flaws in execution but at its core it's a good twist.

The Grimace posted:

Unrelated, but if Naked Snake is Classic Snake, what is Venom Snake? Is he Diet Snake? Snake Zero? Is Solid Snake Cherry Snake? Maybe Liquid is Pepsi. :tinfoil:

Crystal Snake

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Grimace posted:

Dr. Snaker

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Honestly my simple theory is I think Venom Snake used to be "Player 2" in Peace Walker, basically your best dude you kidnapped that had 9999 health, as opposed to snake's puny 5000hp. Him and Morpho were Big Boss's Handpicked backup.

Or the guy who asked a question and named him Vic Boss on the beach in PW.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 23, 2015

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

The Grimace posted:

Pepsi is a Liquid :tinfoil:

Also Venom Snake would be the New Coke in that comparison, and is thus a grievous insult.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

CJacobs posted:

From the very beginning I was like, "There's probably a fake Big Boss running around and he's the true leader of XOF and I'm gonna have to kill him by the end of this game."

Eventually that theory evolved into, "Ishmael from the intro is probably the fake Big Boss because they're both voiced by Chief Kief and stuff, can't wait to fight that clone!"

Near the end it evolved once more into, "Alright so Skullface was the leader of XOF but with Zero out of the picture Cipher overall probably has a new leader, can't wait for Ishmael to turn out to be the fake Big Boss I've been wondering about!"

And I have to say, finding out that actually I was the fake Big Boss all along was pretty effective in the moment. It has its flaws in execution but at its core it's a good twist.

Crystal Snake

An interesting alternative take would be to straight up tell the player at the start that no, you are the Fake Big Boss as the Real One ditches you to die. Meanwhile XOF still thinks you are the real deal, and now you got a real Lust For Revengeance, leading you to do Bad Things (or not, but both Antagonists are gonna frame you for all kinds of poo poo anyways).

Later on as you've gotten along your come-back tour and can start to turn the tables, or as part of the ending, you may choose to team up with BB, XOF, Cipher or play all of them as a drat Fiddle. Might work better (replayability) than a cheap might-work-once "What a TWIST". Leaves it up to the player to decide their own reason for establishing Outer Heaven (even if that part for all intents and purposes lead on to MG1 regardless).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

An interesting alternative take would be to straight up tell the player at the start that no, you are the Fake Big Boss as the Real One ditches you to die. Meanwhile XOF still thinks you are the real deal, and now you got a real Lust For Revengeance, leading you to do Bad Things (or not, but both Antagonists are gonna frame you for all kinds of poo poo anyways).

Later on as you've gotten along your come-back tour and can start to turn the tables, or as part of the ending, you may choose to team up with BB, XOF, Cipher or play all of them as a drat Fiddle. Might work better (replayability) than a cheap might-work-once "What a TWIST". Leaves it up to the player to decide their own reason for establishing Outer Heaven (even if that part for all intents and purposes lead on to MG1 regardless).

Konami is the real Big Boss, Venom is the player. That's the message.

he rides off into the sunset to get rich with the patriots. making pachinko machines.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Pimpmust posted:

This is close to my fanfiction MGSV. The Tweeest would be revealed at the end of act 1 and the scene-setting and tutorializing. Instead of disappearing, BB would stay on Mother Base, assisting with brainwashing (I envision a "mission" experiencing in first person the process by which fultoned enemies are brainwashed, complete with an unwinnable "Hammer triangle") and sometimes jetting off to make arrangements for Outer Heaven/ZL. The Hospital/body double trick would just have been an Ocelot invention.

At the endgame series of missions you're forced by plot events to go back to Mother Base and kill everyone to prevent a nuclear war, in what would basically be an extended, much more traumatic version of Mission 43 in which you would have to Deal With soldiers committing suicide in groups as you arrive, soldiers fighting back (including some of your buddies), the child soldiers, quiet, etc. It'll be revealed to you as you head in that BB, Ocelot and a few others got away. Miller(and Eli, if he actually appears) will successfully hide from you as you do this(probably in a pile of corpses), and generally be infuriated by both being left behind and that you chose the prevention of a nuking over your comrades. You have to leave when you're down to just a handful of soldiers left because Skullface says he is going to launch Metal Gear anyways. Getting there, Skullface will reveal that the Metal Gear and its war-starting plot device were never fully operational-you just killed almost all your own soldiers for an empty cause. Final boss fight with Skull Face in front of the metal gear. Completing this normally lets you go back to mother base and rebuild your army (and get normal postgame content).

Getting the True ending requires PW-style postgame sidequest perfection and learning additional plot rumblings, then redoing the fight. After Skullface dies and depressing background plot revelations occur, Zero suddenly arrives with a full force of Cipher soldiers to pick you up and take you back to the states to work with him and FOX, now that your spirit has actually been broken. The real Tweest is that you have actually been controlling Big Boss the whole time- the guy playing BB was Venom, a failed Ocelot-authored attempt to triple bluff Zero and the Patriots et al. Justifies Ocelot and Miller's later allegiances, lets the player actually do horrible things without the same moral dissonance (there's other stuff to achieve that, but this is already a lot of :spergin:), and Skull Face actually does something. You, the real BB, still go back to the states, and Venom still has a chance to set up Outer Heaven.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 23, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One theory I thought of and might figured it might been true was Skullface being a horribly disfigured Volgin, with the man on fire being just something Psycho Mantis was using to remind Snake of his old self or something. I was wrong, but did accidentally predict Volgin actually being in the game as a fire demon, so points for that I guess.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
My favorite fan theory is the one where all metal gear games are happening at the same time across the space time continuum. Each snake represents an emotion. but each snake is actually the other snake. the metal gear rex's devolve backwards due to being covered in time travelling nanomachines, them themselves being beings of pure light who are viewing the events of metal gear in reverse order so they can return to their true state (the parasites) (they are also us, the viewers). there are actually 4 big bosses and 5 snakes and 2 the bosses in the series. miller was never going to be ocelot because that doesn't make any sense. eli is actually the sunny's kid.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Vic Boss posted:

:siren::siren: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/mgoonsolid/discussions/0/528398719813019876/ :siren::siren:

Re-uploaded the giant 80s soundtrack I made + Last Dancer's "B Sides" contributions.

Posted in the non-spoiler thread too.

good list but it's a shame that the idroid can only list 100 songs.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dilkington posted:

I just beat The Truth, and I'm wondering now if the previous 5 games of this series that I played and that I thought said interesting things about the cold war, nuclear proliferation, and social control, didn't actually have as little to say as this latest one.
Correct. The Phantom Pain AKA Metal Gear Solid V, and not numeral 5 whereas the previous installments were all numerals, is a self-contained story that does not actually have a moral other than Otacon's dad was the biggest douche ever, humans learned to talk because of parasites, biological weaponry that forces you to not speak your own language is a weapon which surpasses metal gear, Liquid Snake literally had NO REASON AT ALL to end up as much of a douche as he was which actually proves he got the recessive genes because he's a complete moron, and SUCH A LUST FOR REVENGE. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?

Actually this game was supposed to be about nuclear proliferation but they scrapped most of that story because it was already in Peace Walker. Whoops.

Vikar Jerome posted:

good list but it's a shame that the idroid can only list 100 songs.
Wouldn't the shuffle script allow more, since you only ever need to add the !Shuffle track? I know, hacky workaround, but still available.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 23, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

DaveKap posted:

Actually this game was supposed to be about nuclear proliferation but they scrapped most of that story because it was already in Peace Walker. Whoops.

Peace Walker and Phantom Pain join the original MGS to form Kojima's "MAD is for dumb idiots" trilogy. PW is basically an anime version of the 1983 incident where a false alarm from a Soviet early warning system almost plunged the world into nuclear war. Phantom Pain is about nuclear deterrence without the nukes: there's a reason the double flash incident is in the closing timeline.

Big Boss is a battlefield deterrent to PFs, but half the things attributed to him are apocryphal and we don't play as him anyway. It doesn't matter to Diamond Dogs: the legend is real.

Plus Sahelanthropus, despite looking imposing, only works due to being puppeted by a psychic and its only nuclear armament is to self destruct. It's intended to work as a shock and awe weapon that gets everyone to buy Skull Face brand nukes - which themselves don't work unless Skull Face wants them to.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Snak posted:

Yeah this is true, but none of the other Snakes were medics. And it's not like it made a huge difference.

In retrospect it makes Ishmael's annoyance at Ahab just letting his broke-rear end arm dangle better. Like, poo poo dude, seriously? This was your loving JOB.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dilkington posted:

Its not as neatly collated as previous games but it had its soapbox just the same. The Truth is kind of a distraction from that because at the bottom line its 95% fan service about the one last hurrah when Zero and Big Boss' splinter faction came together to clean up XOF and 5% being a smartass about how important it is that Big Boss is a title and an idea, not always a specific man.

What you are looking for is in Code Talker tapes about the marginalization of cultures in imperial and global focused worlds with the contrast of Code Talker with Skull Face and their mechanisms for revenge for the cultural warfare they see in the world.

Whether it was on purpose or not the nuclear proliferation stuff goes strange places. It almost humanizes the decision to develop nuclear weapons in a Cold War twilight world: first as a de jure nation state, nuclear weapons give you clear gameplay advantages. Also the cultural hegemony conclusion is that small cultures need an advocate, and the advocate needs to be listened to, and if all else fails then it could fall to nuclear weapons to ensure the safety and freedom of cultures that could otherwise be marginalized by greater powers. After all noone really bats an eye at the nuclear armament part of Skull Face's plan: the major concern is that XOF retains override control of every nuke that would be distributed. It also paints a picture that if you are that small, a nuke is more trouble than its worth because building a nuke is a sure fire way to get invaded and disarmed by greater powers than you

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cephalocidal posted:

In retrospect it makes Ishmael's annoyance at Ahab just letting his broke-rear end arm dangle better. Like, poo poo dude, seriously? This was your loving JOB.

On the other hand, forcing a dislocated joint back into place is emphatically not what you're supposed to do.

Luckily, the moment you receive the codename "Snake" major injuries cease to mean anything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vengarr posted:

On the other hand, forcing a dislocated joint back into place is emphatically not what you're supposed to do.

Luckily, the moment you receive the codename "Snake" major injuries cease to mean anything.

Raiden loses the codename Snake immediately and ends up a brain in a robot body so this checks out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vengarr posted:

I assume its a technique thing. It might be remembering things or missing the important details because I was 6, but when I dislocated my shoulder the ER doc cranked my arm to about heil Hitler level and twisted and I've never really noticed any difference between that and popular media portrayals besides the PHANTOM PAIN in my own shoulder when watching.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Just finished the game, assuming there's not much more significant after The Truth, though I'd be happy if there is. Do you get any more story from doing the main missions that are just extreme mode versions of earlier ones?

The one thing that really bugs me is how there were no real surprises. Every scene, up to the very last image, was in trailers. Can't even avoid them, since they even get played right by the displays with the game, and then in the middle of the game itself. Even the guy in other threads intentionally being an rear end in a top hat and spoiling things couldn't give away anything they hadn't already.

I've heard rumors that there was supposed to be a last part that recreated MG1. If that's true, it's actually a good thing Konami's fuckery cut it short. "Hero soldier goes nuts and tries to make an endless war world" was a really good basis for the series. I'd rather not see it retconned into overcomplicated oblivion.

There's an interesting thing about the Doublethink tape, the conversation between the real Big Boss and Ocelot. In the Japanese version, when he says "'I'm counting on you," the subtitles say "Adam," but in the audio he goes with the 1984 theme and calls him "Julia." Anybody know offhand what it is in the English version?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fun fact, kojima said (in that legacy video i think, or was it the other one?) that they finished the game in march, it was done and he was happy with it and this was before the konami fuckery happened so all this poo poo about cut content and rushed ran out of money sounds like your typical iknowhowthebizworksfrommybasementinutahdude,im14 poster.

still think these msx tapes are going to unlock something. especially after reading about how to solve the wacky puzzles in P.T

i think the emblem might also be a key, we know the butterfly prevents quiet from leaving for some reason (the butterfly is also featured in the portoria game which data is one both msx tapes in gz/tpp which is spoiler alert for a msx game plot, how you find out who the real murderer is)

i wondered if the words from zero to omega in the last trailer have anything to do with it and i noticed i have emblem words for zero and omega. im gonna try some poo poo with that at some point but i still hilariously haven't even finished the game, about to do mission 29.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 23, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i personally count jack poo poo as a thing, so i think that could be unlocked by the tapes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Aurain posted:

i personally count jack poo poo as a thing, so i think that could be unlocked by the tapes

if i find out how to unlock the poo poo word emblem then i will beat every mission in perfect stealth, OSP, to unlock the final, true metal gear.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Snak posted:

I still say "Venom Snake is Frank Jaeger" could have worked. Or "Ishmael is Frank Jaeger".

Basically, I wish they had done ANYTHING with Grey Fox.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am glad Naomi, Fox and Raiden aren't in this game.
I'm sad that 11 year old Solidus with full Cygan voice is not in the game.
Still an 11 year old boy's body, though ripped, but old man Cygan voice.

Cygan didn't get his due in this franchise :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Aurain posted:

I am glad Naomi, Fox and Raiden aren't in this game.
I'm sad that 11 year old Solidus with full Cygan voice is not in the game.
Still an 11 year old boy's body, though ripped, but old man Cygan voice.

Cygan didn't get his due in this franchise :(

There's a really small reference to Solidus. In the mission where you rescue the dude from the kids, he tells you you look like his XO, and when you finish the mission, you get the "Solidus" emblem word.

So it's a really slim reference, but it's a cool easter egg.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want to walk across my command platform when some pasty little white kid shoots towards me with his rocket boots and says "I'm Venom Snake" and then Ocelot can be in the chopper or something and he he's all "That's not Venom Snake!" and this pasty little white kid hulks out and he beats the poo poo out of me.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ddog is actually a chimera of Big Boss and a dog.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder, did Quiet fall in love with "Big Boss" or Venom Snake specifically?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'd say Venom. And it looked kinda mutual. VS is a lot less of an inhuman literal autist than BB.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SgtSteel91 posted:

I think her recognizing that Venom was not Big Boss was the whole catalyst for her hesitating to kill him and being interested in him at all. it's like she recognized that, just like her, he was a tool made to fight the battles of others. they are both warriors who fight because it's what they're good at, with little to no control over what or who they are fighting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

I kept thinking about this image since TPP came out and couldn't find it. This is so much more fitting knowing that it's Venom Snake that dies in Outer Heaven and not the real Big Boss. It wouldn't be out of place if Big Boss posted this all over Zanzibar Land to brief the troops about what happened in Outer Heaven.

• Locked thread