Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

afl.com.au posted:

WEST Coast premiership coach John Worsfold has confirmed he wants to return to AFL senior coaching at Essendon.

The news comes a day after Adelaide announced Worsfold would soon leave the club.

He is the outright favourite to be the Bombers' next senior coach.

Worsfold, who coached West Coast to the 2006 premiership, had been temporary football director at the Crows since the death of their coach Phil Walsh.

After saying he was not interested in a return to senior coaching, Worsfold revealed late last month that he had changed his mind.

And on Wednesday, Worsfold said that he wanted to coach the Bombers.

"It took getting back into footy to realise I'm kidding myself - I think I know what I really love doing," he told Channel Seven.

"It feels like it's what I should be doing.

"For that to be a coaching role at Essendon, obviously I have to show them that I have the energy, the hunger and the ability to fulfil what they're looking for."

It is understood Essendon's coaching sub-committee will meet with Worsfold by the end of the week.

"I've been given a brief on what I'm expected to present, as the other (candidates) will," he said.

"They don't really know me yet.

"They might know of me, but they really need to hear from me what I'm all about.

Worsfold's initial about-face on senior coaching prompted Essendon to send a high-level club delegation to Adelaide for a meeting with him.

But the Bombers have strongly denied persistent speculation they offered Worsfold a five-year deal.

Worsfold stepped aside from his role as AFL Coaches Association chairman during his time at the Crows.

"John's decision to explore the Bombers role comes after his three-month stint at Adelaide, during which time he whetted his appetite for life as an AFL coach," coaches association chief executive Mark Brayshaw said in a statement.

"We wish him well as he meets with Essendon and, if he decides to formally apply for the role, we would wholeheartedly endorse his application."

Worsfold is West Coast's longest-serving senior coach after being in charge from 2002-13

Essendon is going to wind up with another coach without going through a process to find the best candidate. Idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

pkid posted:

Essendon is going to wind up with another coach without going through a process to find the best candidate. Idiots.

And they just spent a week flat out lying to the press over whether or not they'd made him an offer, press who were completely suckered yet again.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Inside the Essendon coaching selection panel room for this week:

Dew: ok so here is my vision for the Essendon football club
Panel: oh that sounds great! Just leave it by the door on your way out :)
Dew: But..
Panel: The DOOR

Later...

Worsfold: Ok so here is my vision for the Essendon football club
Panel: oh that sounds great! How does $5m over 5years sound?
Worsfold: Uh, OK! Hey what's this by the door here?
Panel: don't touch that

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

Geelong has not yet ruled out trying to secure him through either the national draft or pre-season draft.

But that road is littered with obstacles given it is understood they will not front-end a deal, unwilling to play tricks to scare off Adelaide.

Brisbane, with the second pick in the pre-season draft, yesterday made it clear it would snaffle Dangerfield if available in either of the drafts.

I don't know why they are, but thanks for doing us a solid Brisbane :hfive:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

pkid posted:

It's great.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm inclined to believe the talk of Geelong attempting to go through the draft/psd is unfounded speculation for two reasons.

Firstly as already stated, there is significant risk that another club would take him at an earlier pick(although honestly, Brisbane? Out of all the clubs you'd think they would avoid signing a player who doesn't want to be there).

Secondly, Geelong has for quite some time dealt pretty fairly with trades. They could have attempted the PSD route with Clark last year but went for a trade instead. I don't see them burning their reputation and becoming a second Essendon to get one player for cheap.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

Adelaide match the offer, Geelong have to trade for him if they want them, because they aren't able to conjur a contract that puts him out of the reach of other Melbourne clubs who would absolutely pick him in the draft, and back themselves to keep him.

I'm sure Adelaide and Geelong have been negotiating over exactly how this is going to work for weeks already anyway, negotiations that Gil McLachlan was clearly privy to before his interview on AFL 360. Adelaide don't want to get screwed by just getting compensation, Geelong don't want to give up anything, and the AFL don't want to piss off the AFLPA by having the first contentious RFA switch fall over spectacularly, so they've probably been in mediated negotiations.

I wonder if Adelaide get offered a little something from the AFL to not make too much trouble.
It's perfect in every way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

I wonder if Adelaide get offered a little something from the AFL to not make too much trouble.

Not sure what they would actually have available to offer us though, if they tried to turn the compensation pick into pick 1, or generate an additional first round compensation pick out of thin air, Carlton and Brisbane would cut sick, and be banging down the door demanding their priority pick.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Not sure what they would actually have available to offer us though, if they tried to turn the compensation pick into pick 1, or generate an additional first round compensation pick out of thin air, Carlton and Brisbane would cut sick, and be banging down the door demanding their priority pick.

I was thinking money or some subtle changes to next years fixture to ensure a bit more revenue finds it's way to the Crows. As you say it'd be hard to do anything in the draft without every other club having a sook.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I was thinking money or some subtle changes to next years fixture to ensure a bit more revenue finds it's way to the Crows. As you say it'd be hard to do anything in the draft without every other club having a sook.

A friendly fixture is not useful compensation for losing the clubs best player for a pittance, especially when our finances are already sound. It has to be on field compensation, because the only way we can make up for him walking out on us is through aggressive trading with first round draft picks as the currency, and new top 10 talent.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 23, 2015

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

A friendly fixture is not useful compensation for losing the clubs best player for a pittance, especially when our finances are already sound. It has to be on field compensation, because the only way we can make up for him walking out on us is through aggressive trading with first round draft picks as the currency, and new top 10 talent.

Better than nothing though. I guess this is the era where players stop getting drafted outside their own state.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

If adelaide wanted better compensation then they shouldn't have won a final

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Better than nothing though. I guess this is the era where players stop getting drafted outside their own state.

It pretty much is, our recruiters have already been running under a rule where if two players we value completely equally are available at our selection, being from Vic Metro is the losing half of the tie breaker thanks to their propensity for loving off back to Melbourne at the first chance they get. Now we have to extend that to Vic Country as well.

We should be forcing a deal for Geelong's first round picks this year and next year, plus a player like GHS or Murdoch, for Dangerfield and our third round pick. Trade out someone like Jarryd Lyons for a third round pick, on trade that to GWS for Curtley Hampton, and then we have two first round picks and a lot of cap space we can start shopping around with, say for Harley Bennell, one of those picks ought to do that if he's interested in coming.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

It pretty much is, our recruiters have already been running under a rule where if two players we value completely equally are available at our selection, being from Vic Metro is the losing half of the tie breaker thanks to their propensity for loving off back to Melbourne at the first chance they get. Now we have to extend that to Vic Country as well.

Maybe we need to bring back zones, or something similar. Or give crap states to live in like QLD and SA (and eventually Tasmania) the right to bid on any player from that state the same as F/S and academy picks.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Maybe we need to bring back zones, or something similar. Or give crap states to live in like QLD and SA (and eventually Tasmania) the right to bid on any player from that state the same as F/S and academy picks.

Quick 'n Dirty Fix: bring in academies for all teams.
Alternatively, allow teams to make F/S and Academy style picks for players on their state team.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Schlesische posted:

This seems like the worst possible result for equalisation.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carlton to get Dangerfield trading a second round pick and telling Adelaide they got Eddie Betts for a bargin and still owe them.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Carlton couldn't afford dangerfield, they are already paying their full cap (somehow)

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

glasnost toyboy posted:

Who knows really, young kid, electric pace, hamstrings developing - it's not like he's the first player to be plagued by it as his body grows. Asking for $300k plus when you've barely gotten through a VFL game is bit worrying, I'm surprised there's such interest in him really.

From what ive read it seems mainly linked to a specific incident where he felt he shouldnt be playing but the medicos all cleared him and then his hammies popped. Likely more a loss of faith in that team which can be a pretty big weight on a person. I know from experiencing different doctors that if you cant feel you trust them then it can be a big issue. But Im just an idiot on the internet so who knows exactly.

Periphery posted:

I don't think he was necessarily asking for 300k without any prompting. I'd hazard a guess and say the Saints offered him 300k and he then tried to see if the Pies would match it. If the market is telling him he's worth 300k then I don't see why it's worrying to ask for that.

The amount of people bemoaning him for going for 300k as "arrogant or flog level entitlement" is crazy on big footy. Every single one of them would sell their current employer up poo poo creek for a 300k a year job but suddenly because its a football club "they dont deserve it whaaa".
Its a cut throat industry where the majority of players barely make it past 3 years, I would question Freeman's intelligence had he not pursued as much as he could.

The "no Josh Kennedys club" one was amazing as well.

We're allowed one!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Schlesische posted:

Alternatively, allow teams to make F/S and Academy style picks for players on their state team.

You'd better like watching Freo and WC playing in Prelims, cause that's what'll happen every year if you give them half of WA each.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tim Watson might want to just focus on reporting on Essendon matters. He claims that the only information leaked was that Tory Dickson would be playing as a defensive forward on Laird. This idea has two flaws

1) We haven't played a forward for the sole purpose of tagging a defender at one point this season

2) Tory Dickson has never played as a defensive forward throughout his entire AFL career

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Could the Dogs afford Dangerfield?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Corzaa posted:

Could the Dogs afford Dangerfield?

If we moved on Minson then maybe. Would probably be cutting it a bit close

Although we have allegedly offered a pretty strong contract to Carlisle which probably wouldn't be that far off what Dangerfield is wanting (I think Dangerfield wants 800k)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Geelong could price him out of the reach of everyone except St Kilda, Melbourne and Brisbane in the ND/PSD, but that would mean breaking their much vaunted wage structure and paying him 2/3 more than Selwood is getting, while still leaving three clubs who would draft him on those terms, whether he's taken their calls and done a medical or not.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Geelong could price him out of the reach of everyone except St Kilda, Melbourne and Brisbane in the ND/PSD, but that would mean breaking their much vaunted wage structure and paying him 2/3 more than Selwood is getting, while still leaving three clubs who would draft him on those terms, whether he's taken their calls and done a medical or not.

Yeah, that's the big thing. Geelong have a ton of space in their salary cap now and it would probably be nigh impossible for most teams to match it. And then any teams that can match aren't going to be attractive destinations

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

Yeah, that's the big thing. Geelong have a ton of space in their salary cap now and it would probably be nigh impossible for most teams to match it. And then any teams that can match aren't going to be attractive destinations

We can match anything Geelong can put to him for RFA purposes as we've still got 12 players plus Dangerfield unsigned not including our retiring pair, and it really doesn't matter whether the others are attractive destinations or not once it goes as far as the draft. If he's there they'll take him, ala Nick Stevens to Carlton, and then he has to live with it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 24, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

We can match anything Geelong can put to him for RFA purposes as we've still got 13 players plus Dangerfield unsigned not including our retiring pair, and it really doesn't matter whether the others are attractive destinations or not once it goes as far as the draft. If he's there they'll take him, ala Nick Stevens to Carlton, and then he has to live with it.

Restricted free agents mean that you are allowed to match an offer, not that he has to go into the draft if he doesn't accept your offer. It also doesn't matter if you match an offer when he wants to go to another destination and can just turn down a larger offer that Adelaide has put in front of them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

Restricted free agents mean that you are allowed to match an offer, not that he has to go into the draft if he doesn't accept your offer. It also doesn't matter if you match an offer when he wants to go to another destination and can just turn down a larger offer that Adelaide has put in front of them.

If we match the RFA offer, which we can do, and he rejects us, then it goes to a trade. He doesn't get to reject our offer and automatically go to Geelong. The draft stuff is only there should a trade fail to happen.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Does anyone else think that forcing a side to pay 90% of their salary cap no matter what is highly detrimental to the development of bad teams? It seems absurd that a side like Geelong, that finished 10th in spite of a swathe of injuries, has more cap room than Carlton that have a joke of a list. Surely bad sides should have the luxury of having lots of cap space with which to attract free agents? Why should they be robbed of that trade tool just so they can artificially pay hacks like David Ellard way above market asking price?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

If we match the RFA offer, which we can do, and he rejects us, then it goes to a trade. He doesn't get to reject our offer and automatically go to Geelong. The draft stuff is only there should a trade fail to happen.

So you would rather Adelaide get no compensation out of spite instead of letting him get to his destination? Because Geelong don't need to play ball with you guys

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

Does anyone else think that forcing a side to pay 90% of their salary cap no matter what is highly detrimental to the development of bad teams? It seems absurd that a side like Geelong, that finished 10th in spite of a swathe of injuries, has more cap room than Carlton that have a joke of a list. Surely bad sides should have the luxury of having lots of cap space with which to attract free agents? Why should they be robbed of that trade tool just so they can artificially pay hacks like David Ellard way above market asking price?

It's pretty ridiculous. Guys like Dawes & Lumumba have pretty inflated salaries thanks to Melbourne having to make the minimum of the cap. Bulldogs only just barely snuck under 95% and that was with paying Griffen's contract this season.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

So you would rather Adelaide get no compensation out of spite instead of letting him get to his destination? Because Geelong don't need to play ball with you guys

I want Geelong to pay us reasonable market value for one of the best players in the game. If they can't cop to that, then no compensation and Dangerfield going to Melbourne is better for us and the competition than Geelong getting him for nothing at all. Quite tired of Geelong and Hawthorn just leaning over and grabbing whomever the gently caress they want from everyone else at zero cost.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

dangefield to sign with gws on a 10 year 10 million dollar deal

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I want Geelong to pay us reasonable market value for one of the best players in the game. If they can't cop to that, then no compensation and Dangerfield going to Melbourne is better for us and the competition than Geelong getting him for nothing at all. Quite tired of Geelong and Hawthorn just leaning over and grabbing whomever the gently caress they want from everyone else at zero cost.

And what makes you think they're not going to pay market value for Dangerfield? Dangerfield has put 800k on his head and if Geelong pay him 800k then they're paying what they feel he's worth. It's 4 million over five years, that's a very strong contract and probably about market value although you can justify even more.

Plus teams like Hawthorn & Geelong being able to get whoever they want is because they're destination clubs and have been very strong over the past decade. Players are willing to take a paycut if they can experience success and any bonuses that come with them.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I'm sure a lot of teams earlier in the PSD than Geelong could find the cap space for Dangerfield. I'm also sure getting something for him from Melbourne (as an example) and having him go to Melbourne is preferable long term than getting something from Geelong and having him go to Geelong.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

And what makes you think they're not going to pay market value for Dangerfield? Dangerfield has put 800k on his head and if Geelong pay him 800k then they're paying what they feel he's worth. It's 4 million over five years, that's a very strong contract and probably about market value although you can justify even more.

Market value to us. The compensation pick is not even remotely close to that, which is why we should be matching and going to the trade table. If Geelong really wants to pay a player less than he could get elsewhere and still have him walk in to instantly become the best player in their side, then they have to be willing to part with trade capital to get him.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 24, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

spamman posted:

I'm sure a lot of teams earlier in the PSD than Geelong could find the cap space for Dangerfield. I'm also sure getting something for him from Melbourne (as an example) and having him go to Melbourne is preferable long term than getting something from Geelong and having him go to Geelong.

I would say that bringing in someone that doesn't want to go to your team for 800k a season for five-six years isn't going to help out a team. It's why when a contracted player nominates a team and wants out then you don't want to keep them because they may very well effect player morale.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Testekill posted:

It's pretty ridiculous. Guys like Dawes & Lumumba have pretty inflated salaries thanks to Melbourne having to make the minimum of the cap. Bulldogs only just barely snuck under 95% and that was with paying Griffen's contract this season.

well we did get dicked by front loading contracts of players we actually wanted to keep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Testekill posted:

If we moved on Minson then maybe. Would probably be cutting it a bit close

Although we have allegedly offered a pretty strong contract to Carlisle which probably wouldn't be that far off what Dangerfield is wanting (I think Dangerfield wants 800k)

I thought the Dogs ruled themselves out when it came to Carlisle?

• Locked thread