Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah genuine demand can certainly drive crazy real estate growth. The appeal of moving to a large city compared to the suburbs is certainly obvious to me, and millions of others. It's then easily compounded with major space constraints(NYC) or restrictive zoning(sfbay, maybe also NYC?). I would speculate that something similar is true in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cicero posted:

I don't think the number of major cities has anything to do with it. The US has plenty of major cities but that hasn't stopped bay area housing prices from reaching ridiculous highs. To a certain extent high housing prices are inevitable in a very densely populated area, but you can make the problem a lot worse through restrictive zoning policies, which is why the bay area has sky high home costs.

edit: whoooaaaaa

http://www.compasscayman.com/cfr/2015/04/22/Sweden%E2%80%99s-fundamental-housing-bubble-/

Rent control in a wealthy major city creates a housing shortage and blows property values through the roof, news at 11

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

The problem is it isn't a bubble here. Prices are going to remain high because we have few major cities.

It's more of a cultural thing where New Zealanders and Australians will just hold onto the property rather than sell. It would take a major collapse destroying a bank to force enough people to sell. Something we haven't seen here (yet).

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

It's more of a cultural thing where New Zealanders and Australians will just hold onto the property rather than sell. It would take a major collapse destroying a bank to force enough people to sell. Something we haven't seen here (yet).

Is that really true, like for instance are sales of existing homes substantially lower in Australia and New Zealand than in other comparable economies?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Devian666 posted:

Dunno about that, (haven't seen the numbers), but I think if you're going to live in Melbourne or Sydney on a single income you simply have to accept that housing just isn't going to be an option for you. (Translation: me).

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Is that really true, like for instance are sales of existing homes substantially lower in Australia and New Zealand than in other comparable economies?

If market prices drop people just refuse to sell and will wait out low prices. Unless they are forced to sell due to financial issues. People in NZ will hold onto property no matter what, even if the money would be better invested elsewhere. Most will want to realise their tax free capital gains.

Sales are normal unless there is a recession or dramatic financial/economic event. NZ isn't in a recession so sales are normal. The other aspect of NZ culture is that houses are the primary retirement investment due to no capital gains tax and rental income. No one wants to lose out on capital gains or sell their income stream.

The inflation in the 1980s and the 1987 stock market crash did tremendous damage to the way people invest in NZ. Australian culture is similar but I don't know why. They don't get the same tax breaks as NZ.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

0% Capital Gains tax and people choose property to invest in? That's some thread-relevant poo poo.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Breetai posted:

Definitely considering it - the budget I'm planning has a lot of provisions for putting aside regular amounts of money for ongoing expenses (medical, emergency fund, emergency home repair, 10% of net pay into long term savings) and I may as well have that money working for me at maximum efficiency. I'll crunch the numbers when I'm at the stage of comparing loan options.
It's good you're considering it. It would be interesting to see the comparison, so if you don't mind can you update us in the future? Most people go the offset account route, and at first it seems very counter-intuitive. Though it depends on a lot of factors (your view of the proper, investment vs home, liquid capital vs non liquid).

Personally I'd rather have liquid capital, you never know what might happen in the future and you may need to move.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

0% Capital Gains tax and people choose property to invest in? That's some thread-relevant poo poo.

I've put many a bad with money post about the country in this thread.

In terms of no capital gains tax it applies to buy and hold. So long as you don't flip or trade your activities won't get reclassified by IRD. Also most stock market investors in the country like dividend payments from their shares despite no capital gains tax. I did some research and I see 401k schemes were devised in 1978 in the US, yet in NZ the equivalent was passed into law in 2006. There are good reasons why we're such a poor western nation.

Too bad our primary investment is housing which is as about as productive as investing in gold.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Bad with money: crippling energy drink consumption, multiple cans a day.

Good with money: realizing that I can take free cans of Red Bull from work as much I want. I've worked here for months and I just realized this.

I don't even know how much this saves me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Vahakyla posted:

Good with money: realizing that I can take free cans of Red Bull from work as much I want. I've worked here for months and I just realized this.

switching from this to free work coffee was a good with money life improvement

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah genuine demand can certainly drive crazy real estate growth. The appeal of moving to a large city compared to the suburbs is certainly obvious to me, and millions of others. It's then easily compounded with major space constraints(NYC) or restrictive zoning(sfbay, maybe also NYC?). I would speculate that something similar is true in Australia.

Definitely also NYC. Bloomberg and his Planning Director Janette Sadik-Khan got a lot of attention for upzoning parts of the city but the administration actually downzoned far more parts of the city than it upzoned.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Vahakyla posted:

I hope they are sugar-free energy drinks.

Even then though, they put so much junk in those things you're better off drinking coffee.

I think I'd rather pay $1-2 for coffee than drink free Red Bulls.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Didn't Red Bull get their asses sued off on account of not only NOT giving you wings, but not even having as much caffeine as coffee?

Besides coffee makes you poop and pooping is good.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

switching from this to free work coffee was a good with money life improvement

I think I have the coffee version of Stockholm Syndrome because I'm starting to enjoy the sludge they call coffee at my job.

But it's free, full of caffeine, and I'm saving a mint by drinking it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I don't care for coffee, but my chosen alternative is cheap caffeine pills. I get tablets which aren't easy to cut in half, but it's fine for me to take slightly large does (about 220 mg per pill) since I'm not very caffeine-sensitive. And I'm only getting caffeine, as opposed to all the other stuff you have in a sugar-free energy drink. I know coffee has other benefits, but I can only drink it diluted very greatly with hot chocolate or milk & sugar that it's hardly coffee and certainly not healthy at that point. Just the smell of black coffee turns my stomach, and if any drink is too strongly coffee-flavored to me, I'll get nauseated from it later.

On the other hand, I love coffee ice creams and beers.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If you must drink energy drinks, try the Red Thunder knock-off at Aldi's. It's only $2.59 for a 4-pack, so it's much cheaper than Red Bull.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SpelledBackwards posted:

I had a pumpkin and coffee flavored beer the other day and it was loving delicious.

It was good with money because it was free.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't care for coffee, but my chosen alternative is cheap caffeine pills. I get tablets which aren't easy to cut in half, but it's fine for me to take slightly large does (about 220 mg per pill) since I'm not very caffeine-sensitive. And I'm only getting caffeine, as opposed to all the other stuff you have in a sugar-free energy drink. I know coffee has other benefits, but I can only drink it diluted very greatly with hot chocolate or milk & sugar that it's hardly coffee and certainly not healthy at that point. Just the smell of black coffee turns my stomach, and if any drink is too strongly coffee-flavored to me, I'll get nauseated from it later.

Caffeine pills don't make you poop like coffee does, though.

Then again, they also don't turn your teeth brown.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Eat better if you have trouble pooping. I don't have any issues and I drink about three cups of coffee per year.

Caffeine pills are way awesome. I work morning radio and I used to down a couple of energy drinks every morning. Since I figured out the pills, my yearly cost is now about the same as what I was spending weekly.

I also get terrible withdrawal symptoms and am trying to wean myself off the stuff entirely, but at least I am saving money.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Scott Walker has personal credit card debt with interest rates approaching 27%.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-they-mattered/

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Eat better if you have trouble pooping. I don't have any issues and I drink about three cups of coffee per year.

Caffeine pills are way awesome. I work morning radio and I used to down a couple of energy drinks every morning. Since I figured out the pills, my yearly cost is now about the same as what I was spending weekly.

I also get terrible withdrawal symptoms and am trying to wean myself off the stuff entirely, but at least I am saving money.

Or you could just make coffee at home and bring it to work in a thermos.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Antifreeze Head posted:

Caffeine pills are way awesome... Since I figured out the pills, my yearly cost is now about the same as what I was spending weekly... I also get terrible withdrawal symptoms and am trying to wean myself off the stuff entirely, but at least I am saving money.

So all you needed to save a few hundred dollars a year was a lovely addiction to over the counter stimulants? Goddamn, sign me up!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Dillbag posted:

So all you needed to save a few hundred dollars a year was a lovely addiction to over the counter stimulants? Goddamn, sign me up!

He clearly already had that addiction. What are you, chairman of the Christian Temperance Union?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dillbag posted:

It's easy to get addicted to caffeine without meaning to. I'm in the middle of doing house renovations and the only thing keeping me going is a regimen of caffeine and the other crap in energy drinks. I'm not looking forward to weaning myself off, but I really don't think I'd be able to function on some days without a stimulant.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Story: A guy I know, Chris, graduated with a Psychology degree that took him 5 years to complete. He racked up about 35k in student loan debt. Not horrifyingly bad, really. But after graduation instead of pursuing a psych-related job, Chris decided that psychology wasn't for him. Nope, he decided to go into optometry! Yes, because struggling through five years of college to obtain the easiest BA degree possible with a 3.0 gpa is a SURE sign that he's ready to take on an additional 8+ years of intensely difficult math and science classes!

But Chris was determined. His first step was to take some science courses at a local community college to earn a BS so that he was even qualified to apply to optometry schools. He had no income, so he took out a private loan for $16k to cover his tuition and living for a year. The bank gave it to him in one lump sum. He deposited the money into the bank, classes began, everything was cool.

Fast forward 6 weeks and Chris realizes that he's sick of school, science is hard, and the chances of this incredibly ambitious plan actually working (i.e. making good enough grades to even get into optometry school) are pretty low. So he says gently caress it, drops his classes and abandons the plan completely.

Here's what Chris should have done at this point: pay the remaining loan money back to the bank and get a job. Here's what Chris did instead: live off of the loan money plus credit cards for the rest of the year and accrue $10k in cc debt. Fast food, booze, parties, DVD collecting. Life is wonderful and easy and will continue to be forever!

Once the loan money dried up he moved in with his girlfriend while she finished her MS degree, working crappy retail jobs, and basically living life with no discernible plan for the future. All the while being bombarded with calls from collection agencies over the credit card debt he's unable to pay. His credit was getting annihilated. About a year later he decides to go back to school, this time for something more realistic: IT. He finished a BS degree through an accelerated program in 2 years. Of course he did this by taking out another $20k in student loans.

The good news: Chris has no more credit card debt (his parents helped pay it off with an inheritance they received) and is currently in IT making good money. The bad news: he's got $75k of student loan debt, a good chunk of which (about $20k after interest capitalization) was used to fund a year of slothful, aimless nothing.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
More New Zealand bad with money: apartments falling apart due to not enough maintenance budget being set aside.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/72149091/apartment-owners-face-maintenance-timebomb

Basically I see this a lot as a lot of apartments have had to deal with earthquake strengthening as well as regular repairs. Most owners sell because they can't afford to pay for or finance the repairs. Most of the Body Corporates are wrecked by tight fisted owners not realising the are just deferring expenses that will end up costing them money.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 22, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Thank you, thread, for continually reinforcing that I'm not loving up by putting a house off until my 30s

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Devian666 posted:

More New Zealand bad with money: apartments falling apart due to not enough maintenance budget being set aside.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/72149091/apartment-owners-face-maintenance-timebomb

Basically I see this a lot as a lot of apartments have had to deal with earthquake strengthening as well as regular repairs. Most owners sell because they can't afford to pay for or finance the repairs. Most of the Body Corporates are wrecked by tight fisted owners not realising the are just deferring expenses that will end up costing them money.
Something very similar just happened here in Toronto. A condo corporation recently raised the maintenance fees for a specific building from $1200 per month (pretty high) to $2000 per month (lol wat).

I can't imagine paying $1200 a month for a tiny condo unit, which isn't even in an area that I'd call "nice." But $2000? No. Let's not.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I like the "after years of neglect and low fees...". Yep, that's the problem right there and those apartment owners who sold up prior to the fee increase have profited off the other suckers. In NZ apartment values tend to stay flat, part of the issue is the underlying land (where you get the value increase) is often owned by the developer and you end up paying fees for having the building on the land. All the hidden expenses in owning apartments are a nightmare.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Magic Underwear posted:

He clearly already had that addiction. What are you, chairman of the Christian Temperance Union?

He's a rep for chewlies gum.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's not like Caffeine addiction is all that serious anyway. Withdrawal involves having some light headaches for a few days, then you're fine.

I would know, I've gone through it too many times to count with all the coffee I drink.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Caffeine is good with money because you get a work harder longer, so you get a promotion, so you get more money.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Right on time there's talk of a slowdown in chinese property investment in Auckland, and local investors requiring 30% equity is now starting to bite as the rules are implemented. The slowdown is also triggering sales of property to realise the capital gains (partly just speculation). Who would have thought requiring chinese investors to get a NZ bank account and an IRD number would put so many of them off purchasing. :v:
http://www.interest.co.nz/property/77762/tony-alexander-says-offshore-chinese-property-buyers-and-undercapitalised-kiwis

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

I saw myself at a crossroads when graduating and was like "yep, definitely not touching this web stuff" so now I work on operating systems and low level network code, we still jerk off manually in my department.

thats what happens when creative writing/philosophy majors do a code bootcamp and become "Full Stack Web UX Artisans"

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

fakiebeanplant posted:

thats what happens when creative writing/philosophy majors do a code bootcamp and become "Full Stack Web UX Artisans"

Weird, I am reading it as the complete opposite of that. Plus it's weird to bump a month and a half old comment.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

fakiebeanplant posted:

DAE STEM??

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Yet another co-worker decided that it might be a good idea to

a: Take up smoking that good old ice.
b: Borrow money from every source stupid enough to lend to him.
b2: "Buy" a new Ford Falcon-esque ute with no money down.
c: Gamble with said funds that he didn't spend on ice.
c2: Get fired from my workplace for nicking from the till.
c3: Get fired from his next job, for nicking from the till.
c4: Have ute repo'ed.
d: Flee Victoria to his native South Australia, leaving us to answer calls from debt collectors at work.
e: (Presumably) End up with a bullet in his head, and buried in the Outback.

This is about average for workers in my profession.

EDIT: Some stuff I just remembered.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Professional serial killer.

No, baker.

I actually read that list and thought "huh, that sounds about par with the guys I used to work with back when I was a baker". It's nice to know that bakery employees are the same type all over, I guess.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It turns out Australians are going to receive financial advice by robots. The robots have already been getting together to discuss increasing their commissions.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/72358142/roboadvice-tipped-as-next-big-step-in-investment-planning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

fakiebeanplant posted:

As a person with a BA in Photography who now works as a contract UX designer I can report this is pretty good with money.

• Locked thread