Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bisty Q. posted:

The silvers just started shipping. They just announced on KS that they "will have everyone tracking numbers" by the end of the month. All the blacks should be out by now, though.

Nope, I ordered a black. Too late to cancel, will have to return it when I finally get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
New leak, for anyone interested:

Kind of scummy, in my opinion, that a new Pebble is already showing up on Amazon when some people don't even have their Kickstarter Pebble Times/Steels yet.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

New leak, for anyone interested:

Kind of scummy, in my opinion, that a new Pebble is already showing up on Amazon when some people don't even have their Kickstarter Pebble Times/Steels yet.

kind of apples and oranges unless there's a kickstarter for the round I'm missing.

also it sounded like from the last e-mail they were down to a few hundred people that didn't fill out their backer portals? Not sure how pebble can fix that. 2 day battery is a pretty big compromise though to get the significantly smaller factor.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
There is no way that leak is true.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Even if it is, it's not really scummy. I wouldn't trade my week-old PTS for a round version that downgraded the battery life to 2 days, I'd be far more interested in an edge-to-edge (or at least reduced bezel) square watch than a round one making battery life sacrifices.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

The round option certainly should get more females potentially interested

Source: my wife saying the time looks "dumb" and that "she would never wear that on her wrist"

edit- or anyone that really cares about something aesthetically pleasing on their wrist. i like my time but it could be nicer looking

Lux Aeterna fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 23, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

rear end Catchcum posted:

There is no way that leak is true.

There was a valid Amazon listing for $250 that got taken down.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
http://gizmodo.com/pebble-time-round-is-a-smartwatch-for-people-who-dont-l-1731804422?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Official

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Huh, so the Round is official. I get the feeling this is Pebble's attempt to cater to Android Wear because the the first thing that came to mind when I saw the Round was the Moto 360. But what confuses me the most is how they thought they could justify the $250 price tag. For the same price I could have a watch that gets 400% more battery life, more water resistance, and more screen real estate for notification text. It's almost a no-brainer!

Maybe I'm just not the target market - for me, in the case of a smartwatch, function has always been preferable to form. The less I have to worry about maintaining my watch the better, so the Pebble has been a no-brainer for me since the original Kickstarter campaign.

Also, is there really that much of a stigma around square watches?

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 23, 2015

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I like the look for the most part, besides the monster bezel, but losing the most lauded feature of the brand is kinda lovely. 15 minute charge time might render that point moot, though. That's gotta be a tiny loving battery. My wife sent me a link this morning with little hearts-for-eyes emoji, so I think they've hit their mark.

e; Oops, 15 minutes of charging gives you 24 hours of battery life, not a full 48. That makes a little more sense. Looking at more photos, the bezel isn't really inconsistent with the other new models.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 23, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It does look nice and thin but I really think they could have sized it up a few hairs and snuck in a better battery. Like sirbeefalot said the great thing about the Pebble is that it's a smartwatch with a much more respectable battery life. At this price point and battery life, why not get something a little flashier like an Android Wear watch? Hell, I think even the old Moto 360s got a few updates and can stretch to 2 days without much compromise.

I also would have liked if they stuck with 22mm bands, as my few spare watch bands are 22mm.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
These new pebbles are goddamn dumb. I'll keep my Pebble Time, thank you very much.

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005
I like 'em. Or at least the one with the white bezel and minute numbers. And that's from a Steel owner with no interested in the Time. I might buy one, depending on how they review. :shrug:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

My silver Steel finally arrived, might have to RMA it, the top button doesn't click.

And has anybody ever got voice replies to work? Neither I nor my Wife have.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

xlevus posted:

I used it once to reply to a Hangouts message. It worked alright - it seemed there was second or two at the beginning where it didn't hear what I said, so it only captured and displayed the end of my reply. I was left feeling like I'd need to play around with it a bit to figure out the best way to use it.

Related to that, does anyone know if the mic feeds your audio data to Google's voice recognition? I was surprised at how quickly my voice was rendered into text - surely the watch itself, or even the Pebble app, isn't responsible for that?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The voice replies have worked 90% of the time for me, but I hardly use them because of how awkwardly they're implemented. I wish the thing would just automatically listen for like 10-15 seconds after a notification popped up for a keyword. Also, the lack of voice commands is annoying.

I'd guess they're hooked into Google's voice recognition somehow, maybe that's why only Gmail can do voice replies on iOS right now? That might be totally unrelated, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol so the steel is broke as poo poo on ios9 huh

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having problems with standby mode? Worked amazingly for like 2 days and hasn't worked since.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lol so the steel is broke as poo poo on ios9 huh

What's the problem? Mine's working fine (if you mean the time steel, haven't used my regular steel since just before iOS9 came out).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
My regular steel is working fine in ios9 too, haven't noticed anything different.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

I got some pretty decent scratches in my PT over the weekend- is there anything that works for buffing up gorilla glass?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lux Aeterna posted:

I got some pretty decent scratches in my PT over the weekend- is there anything that works for buffing up gorilla glass?

Don't do it! There's a coating that will wear away as you buff it, and it looks like rear end. Take my word for it, I got a small scratch like 3 days into having the watch and had to basically buff the whole coating off the screen after I discovered that. Didn't even get rid of the scratch, either.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Don't do it! There's a coating that will wear away as you buff it, and it looks like rear end. Take my word for it, I got a small scratch like 3 days into having the watch and had to basically buff the whole coating off the screen after I discovered that. Didn't even get rid of the scratch, either.

i didn't do anything yet aside from message pebble support and post here. if they were just deep cuts it would be fine but the problem is they have the white streaks that are making the screen hard to see.

worse comes to worse i just forced myself into a PT round battery downgrade/aesthetic upgrade

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Froist posted:

What's the problem? Mine's working fine (if you mean the time steel, haven't used my regular steel since just before iOS9 came out).

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

My regular steel is working fine in ios9 too, haven't noticed anything different.

Well nevermind I guess, all the reviews for the pebble app are BROKEN ON IOS 9

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lux Aeterna posted:

i didn't do anything yet aside from message pebble support and post here. if they were just deep cuts it would be fine but the problem is they have the white streaks that are making the screen hard to see.

worse comes to worse i just forced myself into a PT round battery downgrade/aesthetic upgrade

I mean, if the scratches are that bad, what do you have to lose I guess. I've gotten recommendations from a couple people to try cerium oxide powder in a slurry, haven't made time to order it yet.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Karthe posted:

I used it once to reply to a Hangouts message. It worked alright - it seemed there was second or two at the beginning where it didn't hear what I said, so it only captured and displayed the end of my reply. I was left feeling like I'd need to play around with it a bit to figure out the best way to use it.

Related to that, does anyone know if the mic feeds your audio data to Google's voice recognition? I was surprised at how quickly my voice was rendered into text - surely the watch itself, or even the Pebble app, isn't responsible for that?

100% of the time for me, it gets to about 90% and then goes "An error has occurred".

Maybe it's my 'accent', who knows.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lux Aeterna posted:

The first above-minimum-wage job I ever had I went out and spent $500 on an Esquire watch. Had it about a week, went to a hockey game and put some nice scratches on the bezel while walking through the gate to my seat. I shouldn't be allowed to have nice things, its really not funny (for me) how clumsy and non graceful I am.

That said, I've brushed my original Steel up against walls and such a bunch and not a mark to be seen on it.

And whats up with this new Round? What I would call a premium price, but forefeit the battery life that separates Pebble from the pack? I don't see any reason to upgrade for a while yet. I wish it was somehow feasible to put my whole phone on my wrist without being too gangly.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I scuffed my Pebble against the same concrete pillar three different times. The guy at the InvisibleShield kiosk knows me by name.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

i have no idea how i did it which is driving me nuts

hopefully pebble will just charge me 30 bucks for the front assembly and some glue and i can fix it myself. the ifixit teardown of the PT shows it's 1 piece with the bezel/glass that just comes apart with some heat.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
The bezel on the PTS is coated with a single-molecule thick layer of whatever, because I literally scratched it earlier this week on an envelope. It is asinine how not-durable it is.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
I'm also baffled at the coating on the Pebble Time bezel. My plastic OG Pebble took plenty of hits for years without a mark, and now my upgrade looks in worse shape in less than 2 months. And it doesn't even look horrible without the coat, I don't understand why they didn't leave it like this:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

xlevus posted:

My silver Steel finally arrived, might have to RMA it, the top button doesn't click.

Do you have the Android Wear app installed? You don't (shouldn't) even launch it, but it needs to be installed. It has worked absolutely flawlessly for me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Anyone received their bands with their kickstarter steel?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

Anyone received their bands with their kickstarter steel?
Nothing yet, not even an update email. Here's hoping sometime this week they'll have an update for us.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

They said they were shipping as they received them. They're probably doing so without a tracking number, as I just received my steel finish band in the mail today. I was a bit later in the delivery for the Steel so maybe they're nearing the end of bands too.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Virion posted:

They said they were shipping as they received them. They're probably doing so without a tracking number, as I just received my steel finish band in the mail today. I was a bit later in the delivery for the Steel so maybe they're nearing the end of bands too.
Well I'll be damned, mine showed up today too. I didn't see any additional info on my Kickstarter confirmation page beyond the original tracking for the watch itself, so I guess it's just a matter of time until everyone gets theirs.

Edit: Just FYI the screwdriver that came with the Pebble Steel watch band can be used to adjust the Pebble Time Steel band. It's really precise but it'll fit.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 20, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So did the latest update of the app completely break it for anybody else?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I hadn't used my pebble in a few days and then charged it back up yesterday and now I get tons of "Temporary Notifications". For some apps that I don't have set to give me notifications I'll get one of them, and then for some apps that I do have set to give me a notification I'll get two...the real notification and the temporary one.
Anyone seen this before and know whats up?

• Locked thread