Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I finally got around to playing MGS3 and I love how Snake will start screaming if you fire the M63 for long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He does the scream every time you fire it, too, so you can make him sound really ridiculous if you want by just firing it in bursts.

haaaaAAAAAA-

haa-

haaAAAA- haa- haa- haaaAAAAAARGGHH

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

Described below are mild spoilers for the game Undertale, consisting of the first hour or so of gameplay.

The first NPC you encounter, Flowey, is a malevolent creature that wants to hurt you. I let Flowey hurt me without realizing it meant to. Toriel, a bunny surrogate mom that wants to be your teacher, shooed him away.

Later on, after being helped by an NPC, I pushed the story forward and had to fight Toriel for the first time, I accidentally killed her because I didn't know you could just "Spare" multiple times to end the fight.

I reloaded my save, redid the boss fight, and Spared Toriel. Afterward, Flowey interrupted my progression. Because I had quit the game, reloaded, and refought Toriel to spare her, Flowey called me out on savescumming to spare Toriel.

I'm 2 hours in and this game is already chock full of awesome little details like that. Not even counting The skeleton dating simulator, which I played through to its (as far as I am now, just barely beyond the first Undyne spear-dodging minigame) conclusion.I got friendzoned by a skeleton :saddowns:

He's actually a skeleton warrior. Enjoy, people using the sjw to skeleton extension!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hopkins FBI posted:

Supposedly if you do nothing when prompted, the doctor gets mad at you.

You can also take out your ipad when people talk to you. Ocelot keeps getting annoyed and he's just like. Sigh, big boss put away the idroid and talk to me. Stop shooting me in the face, that doesn't work. Don't punch me, that won't work. PUT AWAY THE IDROID. And then I run away and start throwing soldiers around while he's still talking in the distance. You can also run animals over with your horse and knock them out.

I'll be honest, I do miss the old snake voice actor. This one sounds too serious considering how much time I just spend throwing people around and tying sheep to balloons.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

I'll be honest, I do miss the old snake voice actor. This one sounds too serious considering how much time I just spend throwing people around and tying sheep to balloons.

Wait until you research the Rocket Arm because the moment you hear Keifer Sutherland scream "ROCKET PUUUUNCH" without a hint of irony is one of the many amazing things about game of the current geologic era MGSV.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

3 posted:

Wait until you research the Rocket Arm because the moment you hear Keifer Sutherland scream "ROCKET PUUUUNCH" without a hint of irony is one of the many amazing things about game of the current geologic era MGSV.

The fact that there is a rocket punch might be my favorite thing yet. When do I get this? I need a rocket punch in my metal gear life. I also had way too much fun with the emblem creator and wound up with an orange and cyan logo proclaiming FAT HORSE.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Nuebot posted:

The fact that there is a rocket punch might be my favorite thing yet. When do I get this? I need a rocket punch in my metal gear life. I also had way too much fun with the emblem creator and wound up with an orange and cyan logo proclaiming FAT HORSE.

Speaking of emblems, Mine is just a lightning bolt (with small butterfly) that says SECURITY RISK. This is important because I rarely invade FOBs (because I suck at it) but once I saw that my victim of the day also boasted a scorpion SECURITY RISK emblem, I decided to just dive off the base. Emblem bros 4 life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

It's just part of the regular stuff you can upgrade. There might be a blueprint involved, I can't remember.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

my base is OTAKU PARADISE

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kaubocks posted:

my base is OTAKU PARADISE

:respek:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I run with SNAKE WHISKEY.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Do you have to unlock certain words or can you name your base anything?

WEIRD BOTTOM

HITLER LIKER

WHISKEY RICHARD

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are preset words for pretty much everything Metal Gear universe related as well as the entire NATO alphabet, including generic stuff like letters and numbers. You're allowed two "words" which you can make anything from any list; you can't just type in whatever you want.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

poor life choice posted:

Do you have to unlock certain words or can you name your base anything?

WEIRD BOTTOM

HITLER LIKER

WHISKEY RICHARD

It's all predetermined words and Hitler isn't one of them, but you can get some pretty weird stuff. Whiskey is I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

There are preset words for pretty much everything Metal Gear universe related as well as the entire NATO alphabet, including generic stuff like letters and numbers. You're allowed two "words" which you can make anything from any list; you can't just type in whatever you want.

Most are unlocked by completing certain story missions, side-ops, or just completing any main mission with an emblem grade (based on your playstyle) to get the respective word.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And capturing outposts!

Boy, what I wouldn't give to have EDDIE HITLER.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Once I get around to MGSV, I want to create the elite international mercenary force DAD JOKES. Possible?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Once I get around to MGSV, I want to create the elite international mercenary force DAD JOKES. Possible?
PAPA is there, not sure what you could use for JOKES.

My girlfriend won't let me use WHITE WARFARE with a wolf :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

PAPA is there, not sure what you could use for JOKES.

My girlfriend won't let me use WHITE WARFARE with a wolf :(

WHITE WOMAN gets me laughing like an idiot for some reason.

The arm and chopper are now gold. My favorite thing about this game is the puppy. It's a crime that you can't pet the puppy. I've even had soldiers on my base salute big boss and exclaim "Hey, Boss! Thanks for saving that cute little puppy!"

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

When it grows up you can pet it all the loving time. NON STOP.

Things not worth getting Kiefer to voice: lengthy introductions to key characters, discussions on plans and mission objectives

Things worth getting Kiefer to voice: Petting a dog, shooting a rocket fist

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I was laying on a mountain face down trying to hide from a tank and with that dog standing above me. Then he lifted his leg.

gently caress you dog, not cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Mad Max if you fall from a large height when you land Max will start favoring his bad leg for a couple of seconds.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
In Destiny: The Taken King, I really like how the various factions are distinctly different and will engage in fire-fights between themselves on the different planets. I like the design of the enemies (expect for the fact that the Fallen have four arms and don't do anything special with two of them. Why do people keep making races with four arms and not thinking about ways those races would use the extra limbs??) and the new Taken enemies are basically a group of corrupted soldiers from all four other races with unique spins on all the enemies' abilities. Another thing I like is how they'll stop shooting at each other (for the most part) and focus on you when you wade into their battle, I'm assuming because they recognize how much more powerful and competent you as a Guardian are at killing them than they are at killing you or each other. Be afraid, xeno-scum. Be very afraid.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chinaman7000 posted:

Things not worth getting Kiefer to voice: lengthy introductions to key characters, discussions on plans and mission objectives

Things worth getting Kiefer to voice: Petting a dog, shooting a rocket fist

I see nothing wrong with this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

LawfulWaffle posted:

In Destiny: The Taken King, I really like how the various factions are distinctly different and will engage in fire-fights between themselves on the different planets. I like the design of the enemies (expect for the fact that the Fallen have four arms and don't do anything special with two of them. Why do people keep making races with four arms and not thinking about ways those races would use the extra limbs??) and the new Taken enemies are basically a group of corrupted soldiers from all four other races with unique spins on all the enemies' abilities. Another thing I like is how they'll stop shooting at each other (for the most part) and focus on you when you wade into their battle, I'm assuming because they recognize how much more powerful and competent you as a Guardian are at killing them than they are at killing you or each other. Be afraid, xeno-scum. Be very afraid.

Captains and stealth vandals hold four swords I'm fairly sure

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just fought the metal gear of PP and of course it has a sword. Why wouldnt it have a sword?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Calaveron posted:

Captains and stealth vandals hold four swords I'm fairly sure

I thought so too, but it doesn't look like it. I couldn't find concept art of a stealth vandal (so stealthy) but a lot of pictures look like they just have two swords, held with different grips. The captain was easier to find:

All those extra hands do is clench. Put some pistols in them, or some knifes, or give them swords with longer hilts that can take advantage of two hands for extra leverage. There's a cutscene that shows two Fallen holding spears, but I think four-armed races have a lot of potential for cool ideas and it's a waste to treat them as purely decorative.

Good thing about Destiny: Certain quests have the Hunter-trainer Cayde-6 doing a lot of voice work, and he's voiced by Nathan Fillian. He's pretty much doing a straight Capt. Mal impression so if you squint it's almost like you're playing a Firefly game.

And going off of that, with the new Titan class getting flaming hammers as a sub-class ability, I would have really enjoyed Cayde-6 saying something along the lines of "Oh, you should see my hammer. The hammer is my... well, you know."

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Len posted:

I just fought the metal gear of PP and of course it has a sword. Why wouldnt it have a sword?

Two swords.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chinaman7000 posted:

A friend of mine abandoned his painstaking no kill run of PP when one of the guards hurt DD. What kind of monster would hurt a dog? Not one that anyone wants on Mother Base that's for sure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RBA Starblade posted:

A friend of mine abandoned his painstaking no kill run of PP when one of the guards hurt DD. What kind of monster would hurt a dog? Not one that anyone wants on Mother Base that's for sure.

I'll stun/traq those guys but then wake them up, hold them up, and then plant c4 on them. People that shoot my dog aren't allowed.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Spend enough time with Snakedog and you can inexplicably change his fur color. Fox markings are one option.

Oh and since we're still doing this:

I need better words

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im proud of mine

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I like how in MGSV when you're stealing animals from the world to populate your floating murderers' zoo, you have to balloon out the larger ones, but gerbils and small birds just go, like, right in your pocket.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im proud of mine

Jesus.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

I thought so too, but it doesn't look like it. I couldn't find concept art of a stealth vandal (so stealthy) but a lot of pictures look like they just have two swords, held with different grips. The captain was easier to find:

All those extra hands do is clench. Put some pistols in them, or some knifes, or give them swords with longer hilts that can take advantage of two hands for extra leverage. There's a cutscene that shows two Fallen holding spears, but I think four-armed races have a lot of potential for cool ideas and it's a waste to treat them as purely decorative.

Good thing about Destiny: Certain quests have the Hunter-trainer Cayde-6 doing a lot of voice work, and he's voiced by Nathan Fillian. He's pretty much doing a straight Capt. Mal impression so if you squint it's almost like you're playing a Firefly game.

And going off of that, with the new Titan class getting flaming hammers as a sub-class ability, I would have really enjoyed Cayde-6 saying something along the lines of "Oh, you should see my hammer. The hammer is my... well, you know."

The Last Remnant had cat people with four arms that could indeed quadwield.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I feel so uncreative because my MGS5 logo is BOX WHISKEY.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

LawfulWaffle posted:

Well the Fallen punishment for failure is to have the two lower arms chopped off, hence the Dregs having two, so I guess they've learned not to get too used to them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So my commute leads through a freight station full of shipping containers. Today I started feeling vaguely uneasy looking at them, until I realized what I felt was the urge to fulton them all away. This isn't going to end well. Last time it was GTA3 and I couldn't walk past a parked sports car for months without at least feeling a little twinge telling me to jump in and make a run for it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

So my commute leads through a freight station full of shipping containers. Today I started feeling vaguely uneasy looking at them, until I realized what I felt was the urge to fulton them all away. This isn't going to end well. Last time it was GTA3 and I couldn't walk past a parked sports car for months without at least feeling a little twinge telling me to jump in and make a run for it.

Yeah exact same thing with me then and now, except it was GTA San Andreas..

The sound design of fultoning, scanning, and just doing all the basic things in MGS are really satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

I got this with a pressing urge to destroy smartcars when I was playing Saints Row 3.