Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Good news everyone! SFDebris is coming back in a big way in October!

:toot:

I'm pretty sure I saw a Valkyrie in there, I wonder if he's doing Robotech or Macross?

Idran posted:

SAL is pretty universally good.

There's no such thing as a "good" internet community, just ones that you can tolerate long enough to have a conversation in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Oh god, I thought I'd watch the Fury Road Critic thing to see what was so terrible about it and the first argument we've had is "It's Rotten Tomatoes score is too high"

I'm not sure I can endure all of this.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
LF was the only good subforum.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Tracula posted:

Ah yes, Fury Road. That nostalgic movie from May 15th of this year.

Yeah, I'm about five minutes in as well and he's said literally nothing except he liked Thunder Dome the best.

Hes just trolling right? Thunder Dome is barely a mad max movie.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
If it helps, most of the review is talking with a Furiosa parody and him realizing why Fury Road is so great.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Alacron posted:

There's no such thing as a "good" internet community, just ones that you can tolerate long enough to have a conversation in.

No I was being serious. What'd be intolerable about SAL?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Lindsay's loose canon on Nightcrawler is out. https://www.patreon.com/posts/3251583

Time to cockblock her from ever doing the phantom.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

emeriin posted:

If it helps, most of the review is talking with a Furiosa parody and him realizing why Fury Road is so great.

It doesn't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everyone else made a Fury Road joke months ago.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Idran posted:

No I was being serious. What'd be intolerable about SAL?

I guess it wasn't directed at you or SAL in particular (full disclosure I've not spent too much time reading that sub-forum) just that any sort of dick waving contest about which internet "community" is poo poo and which is good is dumb.

SA vs 4chan!

Tumblr vs Reddit!

DollFuckersAnonymous vs ConfurvativesUnited!

GUESS WHAT we're all lovely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alacron posted:

I guess it wasn't directed at you or SAL in particular (full disclosure I've not spent too much time reading that sub-forum) just that any sort of dick waving contest about which internet "community" is poo poo and which is good is dumb.

SA vs 4chan!

Tumblr vs Reddit!

DollFuckersAnonymous vs ConfurvativesUnited!

GUESS WHAT we're all lovely.

I died a little inside with the sad acceptance that that last pair are probably both real and not something you made up.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I died a little inside with the sad acceptance that that last pair are probably both real and not something you made up.

Just to be sure I did a google search incognito, ConfurvativesUnited gives no results, DollFuckersAnonymous gives a few links from a single blog that (I hope) uses it as a joke.

I originally went with FurriesUnited but that one turned up more than a few groups :negative:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
please don't make up cool things. my heart can't take it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Beefstew posted:

So I only made it a few minutes into NC's Fury Road review because it was so embarrassingly horrible. Thoughts?

Lol did he actually do a Fury Road review? I need to see this poo poo

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey DStecks did the Chris-Chan trolling community really give birth to Gamergate?

I ask because one of the defenses of Gamergate that shows up in places like the PYF Dark Enlightenment mock thread is that Gamergate is about abused "low-status males" fighting back against a community of feminist sjw bullies who hate them for existing. And Chris basically is the kind of neurodevelopment disorder afflicted nobody that Gamergate is supposed to be defending, according to those people.

I mean, I don't believe Gamergate is about that for a second, but it being born from the Chris-chan trolling just adds a layer of sadness and irony to the whole affair.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everyone else made a Fury Road joke months ago.

The horrible thing is in his review he doesn't yell MEDIOCRE or whatever once or twice. It's every meme and catch phrase everyone ran into the ground months back. Honestly I'd say that this Fury Road review is probably his worst ever just in terms of being so unaware of how genuinely terrible it is and just the degree of ego on display since you know he thinks all of these jokes are great. The one decent part about it was him making fun of the MRAs who hate the movie.

Alacron posted:

Just to be sure I did a google search incognito, ConfurvativesUnited gives no results, DollFuckersAnonymous gives a few links from a single blog that (I hope) uses it as a joke.

I originally went with FurriesUnited but that one turned up more than a few groups :negative:

Sadly I can tell you that confursitives are indeed a real thing.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 23, 2015

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Tracula posted:

The horrible thing is in his review he doesn't yell MEDIOCRE or whatever once or twice...

I haven't watched NC in years, I guess that's one of his things now? "Mediocre?" Is that like his version of the "Betrayal!" thing Spoony had going for like three years?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

rujasu posted:

I haven't watched NC in years, I guess that's one of his things now? "Mediocre?" Is that like his version of the "Betrayal!" thing Spoony had going for like three years?

No, it's a reference to this. We even have a smiley for it :mediocre:

Honestly, I forgot that scene completely until I just looked it up, the only reason I knew was because people keep using that smiley.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Has the NC gotten any better since I stopped watching him years ago, or does he still spend half of his videos screaming and flailing a gun around?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Motto posted:

Has the NC gotten any better since I stopped watching him years ago, or does he still spend half of his videos screaming and flailing a gun around?

I watched about 10 minutes of his Fury Road review and he hasn't actually gotten to the point, its all skits while occasionally saying "This is why I liked Thunderdome". Basically for at least 10 minutes Doug could not get Beyond Thunderdome.

E: Mind, the video itself is about 27 minutes long, so a full third of it is just skits at the very least.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 23, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched his review of Devil like a year ago and he does entire skits during to start and end episodes now.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Hey DStecks did the Chris-Chan trolling community really give birth to Gamergate?

I ask because one of the defenses of Gamergate that shows up in places like the PYF Dark Enlightenment mock thread is that Gamergate is about abused "low-status males" fighting back against a community of feminist sjw bullies who hate them for existing. And Chris basically is the kind of neurodevelopment disorder afflicted nobody that Gamergate is supposed to be defending, according to those people.

I mean, I don't believe Gamergate is about that for a second, but it being born from the Chris-chan trolling just adds a layer of sadness and irony to the whole affair.

I think it more to do with the internet troll culture then feminist, the creepy starker poo poo the trolls do to him is the same mindset and style of what happened to antia and zoe. at least that what I understand from his point.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 23, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

I think it more to do with the internet troll culture then feminist, the creepy starker poo poo the trolls do to him is the same mindset and style of what happened to antia and zoe. at least that what I understand from his point.

That's the literal opposite of what I was trying to say.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alacron posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw a Valkyrie in there, I wonder if he's doing Robotech or Macross?

I did some more digging, and yes he is doing Robotech.
I'd guess that's roughly the planned order of releases, if not the actual schedule(I mean, it makes sense to leave Ghostbusters for last, since, you know, Halloween).

Also: SFDebris has a forum now, who knew?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

No, its just the average internet trolling community that gave birth to Gamergate. Chris-chan autists are too busy stalking him on every level to give a drat about video game journalism or feminism.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I feel like for a little while NC was getting better. It was after it was supposed to end and that demo reel thing didn't pan out, so it was brought back. Like the reviews made right when it came back were better than the ones before, and the quality steadily crept back down after them.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
If you must watch Doug screech about Fury Road, watch this. It's shorter. He describes the Doof Warrior as a guy with a giant guitar dick that shoots fire semen. Hilarious.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I did some more digging, and yes he is doing Robotech.

Awesome. I'm looking forward to that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Archer666 posted:

No, its just the average internet trolling community that gave birth to Gamergate. Chris-chan autists are too busy stalking him on every level to give a drat about video game journalism or feminism.
:thumbsup:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Doug has dyslexia, and is thus awful and subhuman and that's why we hate him.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Better watch out with those observations or some one might accuse you of the 'tism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
At some point goons just randomly decided it was okay to be lovely about this, and they keep doing it because they always have, while the rest of the world has slowly moved on.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

At some point goons just randomly decided it was okay to be lovely about this, and they keep doing it because they always have, while the rest of the world has slowly moved on.

I think it started as a joke about neurotypical nerds who self-diagnosed with autism as an excuse to not learn about social graces but people lost that thread at some point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, it took Doug 5 minutes to get to the actual review.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
RE: NC Fury Road

Okay, the good parts: it's technically impressive. Yes, some of the CG and poo poo looks high-schooly-- but I kinda think that's the point. They weren't exactly going for photorealistic mo-cap there. Given the scale of what they filmed-- multiple actors, multiple sets, multiple characters, CGI and practical effects, built models, makeup, a poo poo-load of editing-- and given the tight production timeline on it (I'm guessing they spent a bit more than the usual two weeks writing/shooting/editing, but can't be much more). For what it is, it's goddamn impressive.

There were a few funny jokes and visual gags, for sure. It was a half-okay fan film/parody.

But the problem is-- it really wasn't much of a review.

Doug seemed to take the approach of "criticism of the criticism of MM:FR". The episode is basically "yes, Fury Road is great, but is it worth all the praise it's getting? Are the positive criticisms earned-- and why or why not?" It's a perfectly fine question to ask, and an interesting approach to a movie that's been reviewed to death.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really get past asking the question. As others have mentioned, start-to-finish it's a sketch taking place "in" Fury Road. He declares Thunderdome is teh best, gets chased, hitches a ride with Furiosa and spends the rest of the review alternating between talking at her, and sketch. He doesn't really elaborate on WHY Thunderdome is better. It is just a catalyst for the chase scene.

The majority of the criticism is really just explaining the players in the Mad Max fandom and critics-- these are people who love it, these are meninist, these are Tom Hardy fangirls. People love practical effects. Storytelling is good. And that's the problem. The review is basically just talking about points other people have made. Not discussing them, or dissecting them, or refuting or supporting them. Just-- acknowledging that they exist. Giving a definition of them. Then putting them on screen as caricatures.

And yes, unfortunately, the Tom Hardy Fangirls are exactly as awful as I feared they would be-- simpering stereotypes of boy-crazy women. And it's painfully obvious that all their lines were inspired by / lifted directly from Lindsay's twitter feed. He stopped short of having the two brown-haired, glass-wearing Tom Hardy fans call him a cinnamon bun. Except the problem is-- the Tom Hardy love that Lindsay tweets about is this unique mix of genuine admiration and intentional over-the-top satire of fangirlism. In other words, Doug isn't criticizing Tom Hardy fandom. He's criticizing Lindsay's specifically-flavoured parody of other people's perception of Tom Hardy fandom.

And it's not like he's saying that the praise Fury Road is getting is wrong. In fact, all the salient points (strong characters, visual storytelling, exciting well paced action, etc) are explicitly acknowledged in the review-- but literally handwaved away. "Yes, I get it, Fury Road is great. But does it deserve to be great? And is it better than Thunderdome"?

And therein is the problem. All the "review" parts are just either parroting other people's points, or completely missing points that are there. Nothing new is said. No real discussion is had. In fact, the ultimate conclusion-- the big "NC realizes" moment-- is he finally realizes why people like Fury Road better than Thunderdome. It's because Fury Road is exactly like a Road Runner cartoon. No poo poo, that's the conclusion. It takes place in the desert, it has silent "recognizable" characters, and is full of action. Thus people watch Fury Road, think it's a Road Runner cartoon, and enjoy it.

meep meep

Which is too bad, because (again, as others have also pointed out) there are some really good NC reviews that are funny (in both sketch and in-review comments), AND well produced, AND have interesting commentary on film-making, or argue for or against something from a unique point of view, or bring up something thought provoking. Yes, even the post-Demo Reel.

I mean-- AI-- made for one hell of an argument for the film, flaws and all, being a beautiful piece of work Spielberg did to honor a friend. (Plus it had the Teee em ZEEEEEEE joke, which I love). The Shinning (shh, you wanna get sued) is probably one of the only reviews you'll see that does a good job of comparing and contrasting with the original movie and gives both a fair look. Cat in the Hat had great characters and a truly heartfelt message about the importance of Dr. Seuss. And Wicker Man has what's still my favorite Tamara performance.

But this one-- ehhh--- I'd still say watch it because again, the production they created is impressive-- I just think they completely missed the point on what a "review" is.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Sidenote: sorry for wall of text. Kinda brain-pooped all over the forum there.

tldr: good fan-parody film, given the budget and time constraints. Non-existent review portion that brings nothing new to table. Thinks people like Fury Road because they believe it's a Road Runner cartoon.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I didn't mean "Chris trolling led to GG", I meant that the whole Encyclopedia Dramatica 4-chan community led to an online environment where the harassment that characterizes GG was acceptable to many. I wasn't trying to argue that Chris-Chan led directly to GamerGate, that would be nonsense, but it helped to prop up and make acceptible that kind of online harassment.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

lornekates posted:

Doug seemed to take the approach of "criticism of the criticism of MM:FR". The episode is basically "yes, Fury Road is great, but is it worth all the praise it's getting? Are the positive criticisms earned-- and why or why not?" It's a perfectly fine question to ask, and an interesting approach to a movie that's been reviewed to death.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really get past asking the question. As others have mentioned, start-to-finish it's a sketch taking place "in" Fury Road. He declares Thunderdome is teh best, gets chased, hitches a ride with Furiosa and spends the rest of the review alternating between talking at her, and sketch. He doesn't really elaborate on WHY Thunderdome is better. It is just a catalyst for the chase scene.

That's sort of the biggest thing thing. The review is about 27 minutes long and of which 22 minutes are basically skit and bullshit. This is really what's starting to kill internet critics for me. I get that the whole persona thing is a big deal for them but for so many of them it's persona first, review second.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I have yet to see, aside from one or two Cinema Snob videos, an internet critic pull a skit that isn't deeply painful to watch. Make your salient points a part of your discussion, no one needs your 5 minute long joke with the wacky Devil guy and 90's kid or whatever. You're supposed to be talking about the movie, game, comic, etc, not play a lovely SNL sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I have that problem with Hagan as well. Her actual commentary can be hilarious, but the skit/persona stuff she does is just grating.

• Locked thread