Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Your improvement and progress is really noticeable Shoehead, just a question; how do you make sure your characters, objects etc, don't blend into the background? Do you use seperate colour palettes? Or do you use black out lines? I'm using blackoutlines at the moment.

The colour palette im using at the moment (42 colours including non-black background):

I probably should eliminate some of the colours, i changed the blue, green, purple/pink and yellow/orange ramps, but it still needs changing i think. I use this palette for everything, not sure if thats the right thing to do though.

Here's some weapons, originally for a game i was making that unfortunately fell through:

(x2 size)

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
good call to not post your human sprites, because then we'd tell you to do some lifedrawing, and then you'd have to disappear for a few months to ignore the advice

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Shoehead posted:

I'm super sick but I managed to get this out.

I shall futz with it.

Shoehead posted:

I guess I can animate now?

Hey Shoehead, quoting one of your earlier sprites that I thought had a better pace/weight to the animation than your latest. Sometimes it's fun to look at your earlier work and pick out something you did well :madmax:

That's nice work for sick-work though, I'm a phlegmy moaning cripple when I get sick.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

diarmuidqq posted:

Hey Shoehead, quoting one of your earlier sprites that I thought had a better pace/weight to the animation than your latest. Sometimes it's fun to look at your earlier work and pick out something you did well :madmax:

That's nice work for sick-work though, I'm a phlegmy moaning cripple when I get sick.

Yeah there's an extra two frames in the older one, lots more space to have his head bob and his arms swing with secondary motion. Someone was actually asking me about one of my old walks the other day so I posted all of them on tumblr in one big post:http://shewhedd.tumblr.com/post/129231451191/august-2013-4-frames-for-an-rpg-with-friends

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Your improvement and progress is really noticeable Shoehead, just a question; how do you make sure your characters, objects etc, don't blend into the background? Do you use seperate colour palettes? Or do you use black out lines? I'm using blackoutlines at the moment.

I usually go for a black or dark outline, or with the Gameboy stuff I was using a light border. TBH not many of the sprites I work on end up against tiles for one reason or another

Speaking of gameboy, I've been futzing around with my GBJam entry from last month

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Yeah there's an extra two frames in the older one, lots more space to have his head bob and his arms swing with secondary motion. Someone was actually asking me about one of my old walks the other day so I posted all of them on tumblr in one big post:http://shewhedd.tumblr.com/post/129231451191/august-2013-4-frames-for-an-rpg-with-friends

I usually go for a black or dark outline, or with the Gameboy stuff I was using a light border. TBH not many of the sprites I work on end up against tiles for one reason or another

Speaking of gameboy, I've been futzing around with my GBJam entry from last month

Nice touch with the screen shadow, I actually remember that happening on the original gameboy

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Here's some weapons, originally for a game i was making that unfortunately fell through:

(x2 size)

The heavy use of AA here gives some of the weapons a lumpy or dull look as opposed to the sharp, measured lines that man-made tools should have.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
I've felt really "meh" lately, guess I'm starting to get bored with working on the same game for so long.

Did a pixel dailies to get away from it for a bit...

Could be better.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

good call to not post your human sprites, because then we'd tell you to do some lifedrawing, and then you'd have to disappear for a few months to ignore the advice

This is the best advice anyone could give me and i should have taken it up alot sooner because i realise through my stubborness and frankly cowardice, that any "improvements" i make to my stuff is subject to vast diminishing returns and it was obvious to everyone but me, but i genuinely thought i could get by without it because when i tried putting pen and pencil to paper in the past i never got anywhere, or thats at least how it felt, so i got frustrated and gave up.

I was never able to put what i had in my mind onto paper it wouldn't translate but when i applied that to pixels i could at least have something that resembled what i wanted, even if it is grossly lacking in terms of artistic merit or anatomical correctness, so rather than expand i'd just stick to what i felt i was competent at.

I guess what im trying to say to anyone who is on the fence about this issue for some reason; don't be me, don't reject advice just because it challenges you or makes you go outside of the medium you feel you're best at, because you're only limiting yourself.

Sorry for the self-pity party and all but didn't want to ignore what was said.

Noyemi K posted:

The heavy use of AA here gives some of the weapons a lumpy or dull look as opposed to the sharp, measured lines that man-made tools should have.

Ah, i see that now on the bladed weapons like the axes. Is it the AA on the weapons as a whole, or just on the bladed bits though? AA's a crutch for me at the moment, i use it without thinking and i tend to worry that with the size restrictions the lines would look too abrupt.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 22, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Aneurexorcyst posted:

I've felt really "meh" lately, guess I'm starting to get bored with working on the same game for so long.

Did a pixel dailies to get away from it for a bit...

Could be better.

Loop it!

Looping is good for aesthetic and practical reasons and I am in no way biased towards that as someone who spent a month fixing our lead animator's attack animations. Nope

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Chipp Zanuff posted:

This is the best advice anyone could give me and i should have taken it up alot sooner because i realise through my stubborness and frankly cowardice, that any "improvements" i make to my stuff is subject to vast diminishing returns and it was obvious to everyone but me, but i genuinely thought i could get by without it because when i tried putting pen and pencil to paper in the past i never got anywhere, or thats at least how it felt, so i got frustrated and gave up.

I was never able to put what i had in my mind onto paper it wouldn't translate but when i applied that to pixels i could at least have something that resembled what i wanted, even if it is grossly lacking in terms of artistic merit or anatomical correctness, so rather than expand i'd just stick to what i felt i was competent at.

I guess what im trying to say to anyone who is on the fence about this issue for some reason; don't be me, don't reject advice just because it challenges you or makes you go outside of the medium you feel you're best at, because you're only limiting yourself.

Sorry for the self-pity party and all but didn't want to ignore what was said.

You still haven't posted any pen and pencil drawings at all. I don't think you can really comment on this properly until you actually do this.

e: And don't use AA until you know where to use it. Or use it in one section of the drawing, then take a look at it and see if it makes the drawing better or worse.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Red Mike posted:

You still haven't posted any pen and pencil drawings at all. I don't think you can really comment on this properly until you actually do this.

e: And don't use AA until you know where to use it. Or use it in one section of the drawing, then take a look at it and see if it makes the drawing better or worse.

True, I'm going to a life drawing session tonight, so hopefully i can at least get started with it.

In regards to uploading them; do i need a professional scanner? I don't want to bad quality pictures from my phone.

Regarding AA: will do, I tend to go through phases where i either use it (to the extreme) or just completely eliminate it.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Chipp Zanuff posted:

True, I'm going to a life drawing session tonight, so hopefully i can at least get started with it.

In regards to uploading them; do i need a professional scanner? I don't want to bad quality pictures from my phone.

Regarding AA: will do, I tend to go through phases where i either use it (to the extreme) or just completely eliminate it.

Anything will do, so long as you can see the rough shapes at the least. At its worst, up the contrast and brightness once it's digital.

For AA: never go to the extreme, because that will always look terrible. Completely eliminate it, then introduce it gradually when you feel like it. Looking at a line and going 'that looks like it's going to be too sharp' is easy to do when you're zoomed in 1000% and you know the line is rough. It'll also be wrong 99% of the time. Hell, this is pixel art, where 'less is more' is the core guideline.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I actually went and did the life drawing session and here's a link to them (all in one image gallery for conveniance, also because they're not pixel-art): http://imgur.com/a/UJpf0

Also NSFW for poorly drawn breasts.

They're pretty bad, sorry. I tried going for the shapes and concentrating on the general outline of the torso, legs and arms, rather than shading and ignored the head, hands and feet, which is why they're basically circles, squares or triangles.

If this isn't the right thread to post this, then apologies.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 22, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I actually went and did the life drawing session and here's a link to them (all in one image gallery for conveniance, also because they're not pixel-art): http://imgur.com/a/UJpf0

They're pretty bad, sorry.

A piece of advice: focus on drawing what's actually there, not what you think is there. This is weirdly hard. Betty Edwards has a good exercise for it in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, where she has you turn some existing line art upside down and copy it, so you're copying the lines, not the art.

Related: don't wait for another life drawing class. Go outside and draw a tree. Draw a car parked at the sidewalk. Draw a really close detail of the intersection of three of the bricks in your building. There are many, many everyday things you can draw, and every one of them will improve your art.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Besesoth posted:

A piece of advice: focus on drawing what's actually there, not what you think is there. This is weirdly hard. Betty Edwards has a good exercise for it in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, where she has you turn some existing line art upside down and copy it, so you're copying the lines, not the art.

Related: don't wait for another life drawing class. Go outside and draw a tree. Draw a car parked at the sidewalk. Draw a really close detail of the intersection of three of the bricks in your building. There are many, many everyday things you can draw, and every one of them will improve your art.

Will do so. I guess my train of thought was that if i got the torso right, the rest would follow, even if it wasn't visible. Luckily there's a life drawing session (afaik) every tuesday but im going to take 5+ minutes everyday to sketch stuff.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Chipp Zanuff posted:

They're pretty bad, sorry. I tried going for the shapes and concentrating on the general outline of the torso, legs and arms, rather than shading and ignored the head, hands and feet, which is why they're basically circles, squares or triangles.

If this isn't the right thread to post this, then apologies.

Don't draw people, draw things. And more importantly, don't try and draw from memory/imagination either. You don't have the concept of 'seeing the shapes' yet, so you try and think about how the shape should look like so it ends up always being not quite right.

Like the previous poster said, focus on what is actually there. A good exercise I've seen is: take something simple and with as few shapes as possible (a plastic thumbtack, a packet of cigarettes, a very plain tea mug), put it in front of you. Look at it and try to imagine yourself taking a picture of that instant you were looking at it. Imagine that you have that picture down with a paper on top of it, and try drawing the lines. Just the contour of the packet, of the mug, etc. Don't bother with shading or minor details, just do the major bits. (This won't have the best results in 99% of cases, but it'll lead you on to how you should actually be drawing.).

As for the actual drawing part, what you posted is exactly what I was talking about way back when I first suggested it. Just rough shapes with broad strokes, which is perfect for practicing. You don't need to make it look perfect any more than pixel art represents anything perfectly. The one thing I'd suggest is not thickening lines as best as you can. The thicker a line is, the more it starts to hide. There's a major difference in what you represent between a wide line that goes thin in the middle and just a straight line, and you want to be aware of that difference (by making that wide-thin-wide shape yourself and then hatching it in, or whatever).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Additionally, two threads you might find useful:

Self-Taught Thread: Let's Steal an Art Education!

[NWS]Daily drawings & doodles Sept 15 : Aquatic Affinity (thread restarts monthly)

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Kinda worked...

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I just want to congratulate Chip on his step in the right direction. Everyone is crap to begin with, so you'll be fine.

Keep drawing!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah, grats Chipp on doing life drawing!

I disagree with the poster who said not to draw people. Drawing things is good too, but I personally find people way more enjoyable to draw, even if it's much harder. Do both, but don't stop going to lifedrawing classes!

I took a lifedrawing class, and on the first lesson, there was a guy drawing at the level of stuff you just posted. After like two months, we had our stuff on display at art walk, and someone offered him $80 for one of his 45-minute drawings

Probably looking at your lifedrawings can show you why you've been struggling so hard on those pixel dudes all this time. Once you get good at this your pixel stuff will improve a shitload by default

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

Yeah, grats Chipp on doing life drawing!

I disagree with the poster who said not to draw people. Drawing things is good too, but I personally find people way more enjoyable to draw, even if it's much harder. Do both, but don't stop going to lifedrawing classes!

I took a lifedrawing class, and on the first lesson, there was a guy drawing at the level of stuff you just posted. After like two months, we had our stuff on display at art walk, and someone offered him $80 for one of his 45-minute drawings

Probably looking at your lifedrawings can show you why you've been struggling so hard on those pixel dudes all this time. Once you get good at this your pixel stuff will improve a shitload by default

Yeah, I took an oil painting course in undergrad. Didn't touch any pixel art during the entire period, but when I came back to my old stuff there were a lot of things I could instantly improve.

It's like a cheat code really, you get more levels without practicing your pixel art at all.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for the support, im just sorry i ignored it for so long.

I was talking to a former art teacher i met at the life drawing session and he recommeneded doing 5 minutes of drawing a day (i originally said i should try an hour), is that enough, or should i do more?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Thanks for the support, im just sorry i ignored it for so long.

I was talking to a former art teacher i met at the life drawing session and he recommeneded doing 5 minutes of drawing a day (i originally said i should try an hour), is that enough, or should i do more?

Commit to five minutes, and do more if you can. It's often hard in a busy day to find an hour to devote to a hobby, but you can always set aside five minutes. And if you have more time, do more drawing!

But that's not the important part of the advice; "every day" is. The habituation is key. It's way too easy at the beginning to say "eh, I'll do it tomorrow", especially since "tomorrow" has a tendency to become "next month".

Make drawing a part of your life, not just something you do at life drawing classes. You should reach a point where it feels weird to go through an entire day without drawing something.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

5 minutes is good because that's long enough to start drawing and short enough that your mind wont go "EW NO gently caress DRAWING FOR AN HOUR LETS GO EAT SOMETHING INSTEAD". You'll probably end up drawing longer than that.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I want to try my hand at pixel art, so I went the incredibly lazy route and did some Sword and Sworcery knock off.

Literally the first thing I've done. Laugh at me.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Trying a larger sprite than usual.

Ween fans might get the reference...

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Doing pixel art at 900px tall is not for the faint of heart:

I'm so glad I'm finished with him.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Noyemi challenged me to do the same character in my style. My version is much less detailed, but I think it came out reasonably well. Good practice:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

ravenkult posted:

I want to try my hand at pixel art, so I went the incredibly lazy route and did some Sword and Sworcery knock off.

Aping another style is totally legit way to learn. Try some variants to see how you can use that style to evoke other characters or poses etc.
My most useful critique would be to push some more contrast into those colours. If you squint and lose the ability to easily discern between neighboring shades, that can be an indication that one at least could benefit from adjustment. This is especially true when your palette is very small.

The_Wind_Spirit
Oct 13, 2012

Chipp Zanuff posted:

figure drawing

Good start. Here's some advice I have after spending a long time in figure drawing classes:

I suggest picking up a box of vine charcoal. It's more forgiving than graphite or ink, makes drawing quicker, and you will learn how to draw with mass rather than with line, which was key for me when I started figure drawing. Drawing with mass basically means you're focusing on the totality of the form rather than the edges. It's a lot like sculpting on a 2d plane. I always find it helpful to focus first on how the model is making contact with the ground, and how gravity is affecting their pose. Some will disagree, and to each their own, but in standing poses, I actually find it helpful to start with the feet, where contact is made with the ground, and work up the legs, to the torso, and added the head and arms last, as they are least affected by gravity. Reclining poses are easier; the hardest part there, for me, is foreshortening. Since you're starting out, I suggest moving around the room until you find a relatively linear view to capture. This will also help with your anatomy/proportions. Seated poses are harder and it always helps me to plan out a pyramid or triangle around the model before I start trying to capture the pose. Again, make note of where they are making contact with the ground, the chair, whatever. Again, I start with the legs, but not everyone will agree. Don't ever be afraid to move around the room; find a view you're comfortable with or find interesting. Bring a big pad of paper if you aren't already. I'm talking 18x24 or bigger, newsprint is fantastic if you aren't trying to save your drawings. I usually bring a pad of newsprint for gestures, sketches, and shorter poses, and a few sheets of nice paper for the long poses.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Noyemi K posted:

Doing pixel art at 900px tall is not for the faint of heart:

I'm so glad I'm finished with him.

I thought that was a woman until I read below your image. :sweatdrop:

It also looks amazing and I can see so many hours of work on it. So many smooth lines. It's like a good 3DS game character art.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

I thought that was a woman until I read below your image. :sweatdrop:
Same :D

Added another colour scheme as well as a couple tweaks to the second level art and attack animations...

Edit:

Oh, and I also did a Pixel Dailies...

It's a Pacman!

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 27, 2015

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Hey thread I still push pixels. Y'all been posting some gold.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ravenkult posted:

Keep it up!!!

GRASS

I think I can grass now?

E:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 28, 2015

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Scut posted:

Man this is amazing stuff, I find bigger pixel stuff to be difficult, so i've been sticking to small stuff atm.

Non Pixel stuff (NSFW):

2nd Round/week of life drawing, not as good as last week sorry! The number above is how many minutes were allotted to drawing per pose: http://imgur.com/a/UZ07E

Pixel stuff:

I'm still doing some pixel stuff, not alot as im also concentrating on drawing but here's some stuff in one picture x4 (Can be made bigger if need be!)

Tried redoing a load of the units, tried doing a bigger version as well. The torso is giving the most trouble right now, although i feel i've made some progress in the drawing front with that body part at least.

Unsure if i should just solely stick to one thing at the moment.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Keep it up!!!

GRASS

I think I can grass now?

E:

The grass looks nice but the thing that's really :3: is the cute little puppy!

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Man this is amazing stuff, I find bigger pixel stuff to be difficult, so i've been sticking to small stuff atm.

Non Pixel stuff (NSFW):

2nd Round/week of life drawing, not as good as last week sorry! The number above is how many minutes were allotted to drawing per pose: http://imgur.com/a/UZ07E

Pixel stuff:

I'm still doing some pixel stuff, not alot as im also concentrating on drawing but here's some stuff in one picture x4 (Can be made bigger if need be!)

Tried redoing a load of the units, tried doing a bigger version as well. The torso is giving the most trouble right now, although i feel i've made some progress in the drawing front with that body part at least.

Unsure if i should just solely stick to one thing at the moment.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but you're not gonna get much out of lifedrawing sessions alone. You need to also draw on your own time, and draw a LOT in manageable bursts. It's good that you're taking up the extra traditional training, but you haven't been doing enough drawing to see any real gains yet.

Your units are still really stiff and awkward looking. I'd suggest looking for the curves of motion/posture in any given pose, rather than breaking it up into a skeleton of stick-like parts.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 29, 2015

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Scut posted:

Solid stuff, man!

Here's some crappy sprites;

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

those sprites look really nice

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Wanna hang out with that fat orca guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Gamasutra has a really good writeup on why the FFV HD remake is poo poo and how you can do sprite art HD remakes that aren't poo poo

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20150929/254782/Doing_an_HD_Remake_the_Right_Way.php

Worth a read for sure.