Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Society is not based around reality tv shows

Society in this manga is based around superheroics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean, we see Deku developing strategies for Uraraka to use against Bakugou. The school has entire classes dedicated to superhero management and support, aka the kind of thing someone who is quirkless but extremely knowledgeable about superheroics would be very well suited for

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

Society is not based around reality tv shows

Society in this manga is based around superheroics

Superheroes are the reality tv show/celebrities of that society in the exact same way, except instead of Endeavor releasing a rap album he shoots fire out of his beard. In the very first chapter a bunch of fans crowd around a crime scene hoping to see their favourite superheroes in person.

Which then begs the question of who would be considered the Kim Kardashian of that world.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Superheroes are the reality tv show/celebrities of that society in the exact same way, except instead of Endeavor releasing a rap album he shoots fire out of his beard. In the very first chapter a bunch of fans crowd around a crime scene hoping to see their favourite superheroes in person.

Which then begs the question of who would be considered the Kim Kardashian of that world.

Horikoshi's assistant with the ten ton chest.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I really don't know what to tell you if you don't appreciate the difference between fighting supercriminals (as well as insanely dangerous search & rescue situations, according to the black hole guy) and pop music

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Anybody can nerd out about their obsession, it's the lowest amount of effort you can put in. Even the one chick, Blue Story, in the e/n forum makes notes about a tv show and votes for contestants on multiple email accounts in her spare time.

Why the gently caress would I know who this is

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I really don't know what to tell you if you don't appreciate the difference between fighting supercriminals (as well as insanely dangerous search & rescue situations, according to the black hole guy) and pop music

I'm sure all those heroes are putting their life on the line making those hair conditioning commercials and taking down thugs who steal purses from little old ladies with 3-5 other heroes at once.

Ruggington posted:

Why the gently caress would I know who this is
Because it's one of the only hilarious and worthwhile threads in the entire main forums section about a goon who can't stop spending thousands of dollars a month on star wars toys.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't know why people think that everyone who isn't deku has been training their whole lives for this. Bakugou put lots of thought into his quirk but nothing has been shown they think outside of their quirk

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Because it's one of the only hilarious and worthwhile threads in the entire main forums section about a goon who can't stop spending thousands of dollars a month on star wars toys.

I don't condone such western filth

Jose posted:

i don't know why people think that everyone who isn't deku has been training their whole lives for this. Bakugou put lots of thought into his quirk but nothing has been shown they think outside of their quirk

Just living their daily lives with their quirks for over a decade is enough to put them far ahead of Deku

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 23, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He didn't know how to use his powers at the time. He was still in the stage where he could only use it once or twice and obliterate his limbs so he couldn't break his arm just to get the grip test done, then run over to break both his legs in the first two steps for the 100m dash. Almost all his testing after admissions was just his limit as a human without a quirk with him only starting to grasp how to use his quirk right at the end with throwing the ball.

The other thing is Midoriya wasn't a dude who was actively training or trying before All Might actually showed up to motivate or force him into it. Sure, he dreamt of being a superhero but it was in the same way otakus in their 30's dream of waking up in a fantasy land as an overpowered hot dude with a harem. There was no effort beyond the bare minimum which was being a quirk otaku. He is basically going into this with 6-10 months of training from All Might and a quirk he got the day of the entrance exam versus everybody else who probably spent highschool (or their life in Iida and Todoroki's case) working out their limits and pushing them.

Even Naruto put in more effort than Midoriya at the beginning of his story despite his circumstances.

My point is that not being able to use his powers shouldn't have resulted in him getting last place, given that some of his classmates' powers would be 100% useless for physical events (whereas Deku at least got one good use out of his ability, which isn't really better or worse than a bunch of his peers; I think it was explicitly stated that most/all of his peers had "at least one event they could excel in", which means that some other students also only did well in one event).

I guess I might be willing to buy that every single other person in his class has been aggressively training their bodies for their entire lives, but we haven't actually been told that's the case with anyone other than I think Bakugou and Todoroki. At the very least, it looks like Deku's in better shape than, say, Mineta or electric guy.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
At least in the case of Mineta, we got to see the event he dominated in. (It was the side hop if you don't care to look/remember.)

EDIT: And I think that Tsuyu had a world class hopping speed in the dash.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 24, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah OFA is a really weird quirk and getting it after "nah you're useless. QUIRKLESS IDIOT" his whole life left him playing catch up. The only field at the entrance exam that Midoriya really excelled in was "acting like a goddamn hero" and helping someone else.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hey, we don't know whether or not Endeavor has a rap album yet.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Mr. Fowl posted:

i heard he spits hot fire

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rent-a-Bot posted:

i heard he spits hot fire

Why the gently caress you fryyyin'? Why you always fryyyyin'? Mmmmmmm oh my god STOP FUCKIN' FRYIN'!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

Mineta passing the initial exam doesn't bother me much for the reasons given, but the one thing I don't totally understand is why Midoriya got last place when they did all the physical exams. I mean, he was in pretty great shape and a bunch of his classmates' quirks seem like they would be completely useless for the sort of tests they were shown doing (like electricity guy or invisible girl).

Because he broke his finger with the ball throw test and then he was way too busy trying not to pass out from the pain to give a proper effort? Pretty sure that was a thing he himself said.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
CHINESE RAWS, HOT OFF THE PRESS

http://www.ishuhui.com/archives/374662

Mr. Fowl posted:

Well, we know at least that he'd be the Chris Brown of that world.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Oh man the perspective issues in this week's update is hilarious. But enough of that, here's a small spoiler in a separate post and link so nobody accidentally clicks it!

The neck touching gag finally pays off!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also it appears that Deku's lunch buddies are Ildia, Ochako, Hagakure, Todoroki and Tsuyu.

Also Kaminari and Ashido don't seem to be too booksmart.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New translated chapter is out!

Bakugou and Midoriya have to fight All Might for their practical. Holy poo poo.

Also if you're wondering as far as time goes I think we're literally only 3 months into class. The school year starts in April.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 25, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Huh Bakugou does better in his tests than Deku? That's not a surprise I suppose, but still, I wouldn't have guessed it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He's so goddamn silver age :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Huh Bakugou does better in his tests than Deku? That's not a surprise I suppose, but still, I wouldn't have guessed it.

Bakugou can be both smart and an rear end in a top hat.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
So how stacked is this against All Might, considering he's been growing weaker by the day?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Oh that was just loving fantastic!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Prison Warden posted:

I'm a little surprised he's a better studier than Midoriya but him doing well makes sense. He doesn't just have a good quirk; he's driven as hell.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

So how stacked is this against All Might, considering he's been growing weaker by the day?
Even on fumes I think he pretty much outstrips all the students, including Midoriya if you count his 5% as his limit.

It'd be cool if Midoriya ended up beating All Might in a fist fight in front of the class. It'd fit with the consistent pattern of Midoriya showing up Bakugou in some fashion every time and would certainly shock the hell out of the class.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 25, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh boy! This is gonna be a riot! :allears:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This chapter owns and is setting up a mini-arc that will also undoubtedly own

MHA is consistently the best WSJ every drat week, how does Horikoshi do it

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I'm a little surprised he's a better studier than Midoriya but him doing well makes sense. He doesn't just have a good quirk; he's driven as hell.
It'd be cool if Midoriya ended up beating All Might in a fist fight in front of the class. It'd fit with the consistent pattern of Midoriya showing up Bakugou in some fashion every time and would certainly shock the hell out of the class.[/spoiler]

How is it surprising? Bakugou has been shown already that he wants to go 100% at everyone all the time in fighting, would make sense he does so at school work as well. He wouldn't consider it a victory unless he did it by himself.

I hope this arc makes Bakugou either flip his poo poo and leave the school or become a villain. It's probably the only way he'll ever get a fair fight with everything they got out of Deku and Todoroki.

Caros
May 14, 2008

How is it surprising? Bakugou has been shown already that he wants to go 100% at everyone all the time in fighting, would make sense he does so at school work as well. He wouldn't consider it a victory unless he did it by himself.

I hope this arc makes Bakugou either flip his poo poo and leave the school or become a villain. It's probably the only way he'll ever get a fair fight with everything they got out of Deku and Todoroki.

Because Deku is most often shown to be a huge loving nerd which usually translates to good grades while bakugou is portrayed as the jock bully sort who typically have middling grades.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm pretty excited to see more of the other teachers' powers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

His life is probably better than yours

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

His life is probably better than yours

Hers, and I implore you to go read her posts at the very least. It's pretty loving funny.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I shan't.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm half expecting this to be an excuse to get Bakugou away from the group so All Might can talk to him about what's up with him and Midoriya because of what Aizawa said at the meeting.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Caros posted:

Because Deku is most often shown to be a huge loving nerd which usually translates to good grades while bakugou is portrayed as the jock bully sort who typically have middling grades.
Bakugou's actually been shown to care about these things more than you might think. In the first chapter even he yells at one of his friends for smoking, worrying he'll get in trouble by association. There've been a few other hints. He's got a rotten personality and a bad temper, but otherwise seems to care about his future well-being.

Anyway, great chapter. Looking forward to the next one, though I hope they don't completely skip over Momo and Todoroki's fight. Pairing them off against Aizawa is actually a super interesting match-up.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm half expecting this to be an excuse to get Bakugou away from the group so All Might can talk to him about what's up with him and Midoriya because of what Aizawa said at the meeting.

It's almost certainly designed to get Bakugou and Midoriya to work together and hopefully iron out their differences, and will also almost certainly backfire.

I don't think they need an excuse to talk to Bakugou, they are teachers, just like, call him into your office lol.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Trying to tell Bakugou the real deal about Midoriya indoors would result in massive property damage, best to do it outside really.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

Trying to tell Bakugou the real deal about Midoriya indoors would result in massive property damage, best to do it outside really.

Haha. "Bakugou, you are probably wondering why I asked to speak with you in your own house, surrounded by all of your most prized possessions..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

If Bakugou finds out that Midoriya basically "cheated" and jumped the line to first place with All-Might's quirk he's going to end up blowing up half of Japan.