Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does anyone recommend a particular mouse for their Early FPS games? There's a lot of ridiculous "gaming mice" out there with features I probably wouldn't use. I'd mainly want more buttons, and the ability to map them to individual keys (not macros, which I've never had much use for), in case an old game only supports like 3 mouse buttons natively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's probably overkill, but a Razer Naga is the foremost example of what you're looking for. Fourteen additional buttons, all mappable to arbitrary keyboard keys. It's designed for MMOs where you actually need that many buttons.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Minidust posted:

Does anyone recommend a particular mouse for their Early FPS games? There's a lot of ridiculous "gaming mice" out there with features I probably wouldn't use. I'd mainly want more buttons, and the ability to map them to individual keys (not macros, which I've never had much use for), in case an old game only supports like 3 mouse buttons natively.

I use a G500s and I love it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Minidust posted:

I can't imagine what kind of buttons you think you need on a mouse to play FPS games from the 90s. Nearly all of them are sealed with two buttons.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

It's probably overkill, but a Razer Naga is the foremost example of what you're looking for. Fourteen additional buttons, all mappable to arbitrary keyboard keys. It's designed for MMOs where you actually need that many buttons.
Lol Razer. I have a Naga, and I say gently caress Razer.

If you need that many buttons just get a Logitech G600

VVV I used to be the hugest Razer fanboy years ago. I've had a Boomslang, Diamondback, DeathAdder, Naga Epic, and the Tarantula keyboard. I'm seriously disenfranchised with Razer's quality and I've pretty much given up on it. VVV

Edit 2: Unfortunately I have a large meaty paw of a hand and I only find comfort in larger mice.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 23, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah seriously just find the Logitech thing that has the correct amount of buttons for you, anything else is a waste of money.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Logitech gaming mice are really good and will last you forever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've always had problems with the Logitech mice I've used in the past. Like, the mouse buttons would start registering as double clicks when I single click after, say, a year and a half.

They weren't their GAMER MICE though, maybe those are better made.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've been using Logitech for over a decade now and I also have issues with double-clicks... although not after a year, that tends to happen after several years of wear-and-tear.

I'm currently on the G502, since the G500 is no more. It looks like an ergonomic nightmare, with all those angles everywhere, but it's actually pretty comfortable.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thanks for the recommendations! My current mouse (Microsoft Sculpt Bluetooth) has some "fake" buttons on it that appear to be exclusively designated for Windows functions (I just tried X-Mouse Button Control and they were unassignable).

Nintendo Kid posted:

I can't imagine what kind of buttons you think you need on a mouse to play FPS games from the 90s. Nearly all of them are sealed with two buttons.
I know it sounds funny. But in Reelism for example, I always feel like there's one or two functions that are just out of my way enough to be annoying. Separate "use" and "open" functions, inventory cycling separate from weapon cycling, etc.

I started configuring Duke 3D for the first time, and had the same feeling. Crouch/walk/jump can crowd the movement controls a bit. And I think any game with an inventory system can make 2 buttons feel inadequate.

I just started Deus Ex and there's a lot of commands there!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I dunno, for ZDoom games that require an inventory, I just relegate previous/next/use to Z/X/C, respectively. Shift crouches, E is use/open, et cetera.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

I've always had problems with the Logitech mice I've used in the past. Like, the mouse buttons would start registering as double clicks when I single click after, say, a year and a half.

Weird, my wife has this happen, but only in Minecraft... but then again, maybe that's the only game where it's noticeable.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

I've been using Logitech for over a decade now and I also have issues with double-clicks... although not after a year, that tends to happen after several years of wear-and-tear.

I'm currently on the G502, since the G500 is no more. It looks like an ergonomic nightmare, with all those angles everywhere, but it's actually pretty comfortable.

Double clicks are due to a buildup of static and can be fixed by opening up the mouse and layering a small piece of aluminium foil over the clicker button. Seriously, it's fixed my G500s perfectly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

I have a backup Logitech MX518 that I bought ten years ago and haven't had a problem with, but I also have a wired G500 that I got in 2009 and eventually had problems with it thinking the right button was being held (fixable by smacking the mouse for some reason) and replaced with a G502 Proteus Core that has been a drat champ since I got it a year ago. I agree that it looks like a monstrosity but it feels so good.

I don't like Razer mice very much, especially the ambidextrous ones. I honestly don't know why you'd want an ambidextrous mouse since they're less comfortable to use and I've never been in a situation where I need to use it with my left hand.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does the Logitech software support mouse-to-keyboard button mapping? If I can map keystrokes irrespective of the game, then it won't matter how old of a game I wanna use any non-standard mouse buttons with. I'd love to tackle Descent again, if I could effectively use a mousewheel as a hat.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Minidust posted:

Does the Logitech software support mouse-to-keyboard button mapping? If I can map keystrokes irrespective of the game, then it won't matter how old of a game I wanna use any non-standard mouse buttons with. I'd love to tackle Descent again, if I could effectively use a mousewheel as a hat.

Yes, it even supports per-application mapping.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't like Razer mice very much, especially the ambidextrous ones. I honestly don't know why you'd want an ambidextrous mouse since they're less comfortable to use and I've never been in a situation where I need to use it with my left hand.

I'm left handed so I kinda need an ambidextrous mouse since left handed ones are almost nonexistent. Using a mouse in my right hand just feels weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Robzilla posted:

Lol Razer. I have a Naga, and I say gently caress Razer.

If you need that many buttons just get a Logitech G600

VVV I used to be the hugest Razer fanboy years ago. I've had a Boomslang, Diamondback, DeathAdder, Naga Epic, and the Tarantula keyboard. I'm seriously disenfranchised with Razer's quality and I've pretty much given up on it. VVV

Edit 2: Unfortunately I have a large meaty paw of a hand and I only find comfort in larger mice.

Razer mice are nice, but this is the third loving Razer mouse now I've had problems with double-clicking. (Not that I can't register a double-click, there's some mechanical failure with an INSANELY high rate of occurrence in Razer's mice where you click once and it registers two clicks in fast succession. It makes gaming and even general PC use an immense frustration)

I'm completely done with Razr. gently caress their products.

The Kins posted:

gently caress.

Convex posted:

Double clicks are due to a buildup of static and can be fixed by opening up the mouse and layering a small piece of aluminium foil over the clicker button. Seriously, it's fixed my G500s perfectly.

Ugh, effort. Why can't they just make them that way? :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I dunno, for ZDoom games that require an inventory, I just relegate previous/next/use to Z/X/C, respectively. Shift crouches, E is use/open, et cetera.

I use Z/X/C the same way for most games, I always try to use E for use unless the game relies heavily on leaning, if that happens Q/E for lean and F for use (or mouse button 4 for use if the game has a lot of stuff to bind).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm left handed so I kinda need an ambidextrous mouse since left handed ones are almost nonexistent. Using a mouse in my right hand just feels weird.

See that makes sense because you're right, decent left handed mice are hard to find. But as a right handed person who has tried out a few different ambidextrous mice (including that godawful Apple "magic" mouse at my office) I have concluded that they're just more uncomfortable mice. Possibly because I use what I suppose is a "Palm" grip. Maybe it's not so noticeable with a claw grip.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Apple Magic Mouse is a recipe for hand and wrist crippling. The hockey puck mouse was bad, but the "magic mouse" is basically a guarantee of carpal tunnel surgery after extended use.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Work assigned me one and I've been using it for over a year with no issues. I guess I'm using a claw grip- my thumb and pinky hold the sides, and the other fingers hover slightly over the touch surface.

I can't imagine playing games with it but for productivity the omnidirectional scrolling is nifty.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, Magic Mice are great, just not for gaming. That's actually why I use a Naga - Logitech's gaming products don't support Mac for some reason.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
This horrible gaudy bastard is my favorite mouse ever: http://www.amazon.com/Zelotes-Button-Optical-Wired-Gaming/dp/B00IFRH6JS/

Been going strong over a year now, totally worth $12.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've been using a Razer DeathAdder for a while now and it's served me pretty well. I use the two buttons on the side to move inventory in ZDoom, I generally use 'q' as the use item button, but there are a few games that I can't (Duke3D that's quick kick, of course, so I'll go ahead and use 'enter'). My one problem is that at some point clicking in the mouse wheel became iffy, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but in most cases I can just move the functionality over to on of the side buttons instead.

However, before I tried a RAT3 and it was total garbage. Less than a month after I got it, it started doing this weird thing where, lets say I had a browser up, I could click on the browser stuff, but I couldn't click on Windows stuff, like the exit button in the corner or the start button. Weirdest goddamn thing, and when I returned it it happened when they tested it too.

In other news, apparently the voice actress for Anya in The New Order mentioned there was work going on with a new Wolfenstein.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I used a Razer Diamondback for over 10 years until the rubber of the scroll wheel finally disintegrated completely, then got a Razer Deathadder.

Logitech mice feel really well built, but most of their models either have a "thumb shelf" that makes them awkward for me to grip or are wireless. I like my mice to be at least semi-ambidextrous because I'm ambidextrous and switch hands if one gets tired, and I like having a cord because batteries suck to deal with and it's not like I'm going to be using the mouse as I walk around the house or something. I'll probably try out a G302 if this Razer doesn't last forever like the last one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

This horrible gaudy bastard is my favorite mouse ever: http://www.amazon.com/Zelotes-Button-Optical-Wired-Gaming/dp/B00IFRH6JS/

Been going strong over a year now, totally worth $12.

At least you know it's a gaming mouse because it says so right there on the top of it. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I used a Razer Diamondback for over 10 years until the rubber of the scroll wheel finally disintegrated completely, then got a Razer Deathadder.

The Diamondback is lovely, and they're finally bringing it back...

...for $90. Gotta pay for the rainbow lighting and 16000 DPI sensor somehow! :suicide:

I wonder how long it will be before the certified refurbished ones show up. I have a refurb Taipan that cost me $41 (compared to $80 for a new Taipan).

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

System Shock Enhanced Edition's not bad and all, but am I the only one who prefers to keep playing the original because of the music? I really can't stand Windows default MIDI soundfont (or SC-55 for the spergy ones).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I tend to use 8MBGMSFX.sf2 through BASSMIDI instead of relying on Windows' built-in crap. I recommend doing the same - well, BASSMIDI, at least, I'll leave which soundfont is used up to personal preference.

Although now I kind of wonder if there's a way to get the Mac version of System Shock's music into the game...

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Both Shock games are better played with music off for maximum spooky effect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

I tend to use 8MBGMSFX.sf2 through BASSMIDI instead of relying on Windows' built-in crap. I recommend doing the same - well, BASSMIDI, at least, I'll leave which soundfont is used up to personal preference.

Although now I kind of wonder if there's a way to get the Mac version of System Shock's music into the game...

I'd recommend OPL-3FM.sf2 instead, unless you're specifically after the low end sound card sound of 8MBGMSFX.sf2

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Friend posted:

Both Shock games are better played with music off for maximum spooky effect.

Yeah I'm not terribly familiar with 1 but System Shock 2's music was weirdly inappropriate and the atmosphere got a hundred times better when I turned it off and the ambient noise--the hum of the ship and nearby electronics (and the distant cooing of midwives and robo-butlers)--took over.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'd recommend OPL-3FM.sf2 instead, unless you're specifically after the low end sound card sound of 8MBGMSFX.sf2
I'm afraid I disagree with that assertion. It's actually remained one of the best soundfonts I've come across - and I've tried several purportedly high-end ones in the past. Generally they all have one or two quirks that send me running back to the relative comfort of this one. That might be just because I've been using it for like 15 years, since it came with a Sound Blaster Live! that I'd used in a computer back then. (Although, I tend to use CT4MGM.sf2 as well, so I can get those additional instruments for the few MIDIs that bother to bank change to them - e.g., a triangle wave.)

Don't really get the urge to make my MIDIs sound like an old Adlib/Sound Blaster that often. I assume, then, you're suggesting an OPL3 soundfont specifically for System Shock, though, where it'd kind of make sense...?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm afraid I disagree with that assertion. It's actually remained one of the best soundfonts I've come across - and I've tried several purportedly high-end ones in the past. Generally they all have one or two quirks that send me running back to the relative comfort of this one. That might be just because I've been using it for like 15 years, since it came with a Sound Blaster Live! that I'd used in a computer back then. (Although, I tend to use CT4MGM.sf2 as well, so I can get those additional instruments for the few MIDIs that bother to bank change to them - e.g., a triangle wave.)

Don't really get the urge to make my MIDIs sound like an old Adlib/Sound Blaster that often. I assume, then, you're suggesting an OPL3 soundfont specifically for System Shock, though, where it'd kind of make sense...?

It's more that the opl3 set was the target for most games that weren't specifically targeting one of the Roland externals or the Gravis UltraSound. 8MB etc is a good representation for the lower end Midi synthetic, while the full opl3 pack represents a high end one with better quality samples.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm a little confused, though. An OPL3 soundfont would sound like FM synthesis, while 8MBGMSFX sounds more like the actual instruments - yet the FM synth is the high-quality one?

I mean, it could be high-quality samples of FM synth, and I do like me some good FM synth now and then, but at the same time this strikes me as comparing a Genesis to a SNES...

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

This sounds extremely dubious to me, I don't see how you could possibly map the waveform generation of OPL2 or OPL3 into General MIDI Instruments and have it sound right with most games.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I replayed the Azure Sheep mod for Half-Life 1 to see if it was as good as a remembered.

It's actually kinda bad.

The map design sucks. About 50% of the mod consists of square and barely-detailed Wolfenstein 3D-like tight corridors and plenty of doors, with one or two being usable. all of the corridors in an area look the same, making the whole thing feel like a copy and paste job gone wrong. I'd say about 20% are rehashes of HL1 maps, while the rest are decent, but not impressive maps. The only parts that really stand out are the outdoor bits at the start and the final area, which consists of you fighting through ruined buildings in order to reach a jeep to escape.

The first part is a bit obnoxious. Your most powerful weapons are the Shotgun and Grenades, while the only armor you get is a vest that gives you 15 armor points at the start of the campaign. That means you're going to be spending most of the time charging enemies with the Shogun while having no armor. Thankfully, the map designer isn't stingy with Medkits, but it's still stupid.

The second half is a bit better because you finally get more weapons like the Crossbow and Hivehand, but it straddles you with a mostly useless reskinned security guard named Kate you must protect. The only thing she's useful for is killing trash aliens like Headcrabs and Zombies. Anything more powerful than an Alien Slave will shred her to bits in seconds because she has only 100 HP and her pistol is about as effective as the average guard's. The best way to deal with her is like you'd deal with the partners in pre-1.3 Daikatana; leave her at the start of an area, clear it out as much as you can, then drag Kate over to doors that only she can open. Then, leave her again and repeat until you get to the end. It's a complete waste of time and the game would only be improved with her removal.

There's also some really weird bits where you team up with Grodon and Adrian for no apparent reason. With Gordon, you suddenly drop in on him from a vent in the room at the end of Apprehension with the ninja chicks. You have to clear out all of the ninjas yourself (with your most powerful weapon being the Shotgun), open a door for Gordon, then kill the soldiers that captured and threw him into the trash compactor, which makes the whole sequence feel like really bad fanfiction. Then, much later on, you enter an outdoors area where Adrian is just chilling in an office for no apparent reason, even though the area never appears in Op4. You lead him over to a door he has to kick down, but afterwards he's abducted by Alien Slaves. The whole sequence is completely pointless.

The mod has some really intresting ideas, like an old version of Black Mesa buried underground and a combat-filled version of the areas the tram ride at the start of HL1 went through. However, it squanders such ideas with bad map design that almost feels copy and paste at times, then adds insult to injury in the first half by giving you no armor and barely any really powerful weapons, while the second half shackles you with a worthless NPC.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 24, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Please replay Point of View if you want endless corridors or samey nothing. I made it all the way through Azure Sheep including the completely bullshit Apache fight at the end that I had to shoot down with mp5 grenades, but I got so lost in PoV that I quit halfway through. Please tell me it's worth playing through again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

Please replay Point of View if you want endless corridors or samey nothing. I made it all the way through Azure Sheep including the completely bullshit Apache fight at the end that I had to shoot down with mp5 grenades, but I got so lost in PoV that I quit halfway through. Please tell me it's worth playing through again.

I destroyed the last Apache with the regular MP5 by somehow hitting the right spots. I thought it was nice how the map designer forgot to put enough RPG ammo to defeat four Apaches in the final area. :waycool:

I had enough of endless samey corridors with Azure Sheep, but I may go through Point of View just to see how much worse it can get.