Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think the Blackberry Venice looks great and the Nexus 6P looks hideously, hideously, ugly. I wonder if there is a correlation there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Why do people care? 99% of people put their phone in a case that makes it look like a hunk of rubber.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lowen SoDium posted:

Why do people care? 99% of people put their phone in a case that makes it look like a hunk of rubber.

It's probably lower than that, but even as a hunk of rubber the drat thing has that geordi laforge visor going on across the back.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Tunga posted:

I, too, wish my phone looked like a late 1980s sci-fi prop.

This, but unironically.

Would kill for some tricorder-level poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

No, it's suggesting that Star Trek is cool that I am questioning.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Endless Mike posted:

My mom thinks I am cool, and I think Star Trek is cool so there.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a thread for support with the tasker app? Just wondering where would be best to ask for some troubleshooting help

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So the 6p will be ugly as sin and have an 810 in it? Fantastic

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

mods

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Aaratek got banned for being gross, didn't you hear?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I kind of like that Nexus 6P. It's a little different than the cookie cutter build. I wonder what the cost will be.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Welp as it turns out the 16GB Moto X Pure only has 9.5 GB of actual storage which is a god drat criminal misrepresentation imo. And because I am evidently a loving retarded idiot, I actually believed you can move apps and their associated data to a big rear end SD card in Lollipop like everyone in this thread keeps insisting but nope - you can only move the app. So any game with a massive secondary data download, aka every single game there is, hogs up my 9.5GB of storage while my 64GB card sits basically empty. Add to that the fact that the god drat Google Camera doesn't even let you choose where to save your photos and videos.

Fool me once Android.... so, should I just root and fix this or is Marshmallow maybe coming soon for this phone? :ohdear:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I was able to select the SD card in the Camera app on my wife's Moto G just fine :confused:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Syrinxx posted:

Welp as it turns out the 16GB Moto X Pure only has 9.5 GB of actual storage which is a god drat criminal misrepresentation imo. And because I am evidently a loving retarded idiot, I actually believed you can move apps and their associated data to a big rear end SD card in Lollipop like everyone in this thread keeps insisting but nope - you can only move the app. So any game with a massive secondary data download, aka every single game there is, hogs up my 9.5GB of storage while my 64GB card sits basically empty. Add to that the fact that the god drat Google Camera doesn't even let you choose where to save your photos and videos.

Fool me once Android.... so, should I just root and fix this or is Marshmallow maybe coming soon for this phone? :ohdear:

Any camera app will let you choose to save pictures to an SD card instead of internal storage. Also, apps not moving all of their data to the SD card has been a thing since forever on Android.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Yeah I just got my Pure and discovered that bit of joy too. Should've just bit the bullet and gotten the 32 GB version. It's not the end of the world for me though as I barely play any games on my phone and I like the Moto camera app and that saves to SD no problem.

I really wish manufacturers would post the actual amount of storage you get and not some theoretical maximum you'll never hit because the OS takes up 5 GB.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
No mention of Qi on the 5X....it has quick charge, but those aren't compatible right?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Any camera app will let you choose to save pictures to an SD card instead of internal storage
Not the one from Google :suicide:

Is Manual Camera worth spending some rewards bux on since it uses the camera2 API?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe you should have spent that whole extra $100 (spread out over two years, or mostly gotten back when you sell) so you wouldn't have to janitor your phone even if it worked as you wanted it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe you should have spent that whole extra $100 (spread out over two years, or mostly gotten back when you sell) so you wouldn't have to janitor your phone even if it worked as you wanted it.

I know because the 16GB iPhone easily saves pics to it's SD Card.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Syrinxx posted:

Just took this screenshot on my 16GB Moto X Pure.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Red Warrior posted:

Android Police think that it will be like the LG G4 and the 16GB model will have 2GB and the 32GB will have 3GB. Hope so.
The hell?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't think anyone here would have insisted Lollipop would save everything to SD card, but that is supposedly a Marshmallow feature.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I know because the 16GB iPhone easily saves pics to it's SD Card.
16 GB iPhones are no more excusable than 16 GB Androids. In either case, higher capacities are available and instead of having to root and move apps around and whatever, they both just work.

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't think anyone here would have insisted Lollipop would save everything to SD card, but that is supposedly a Marshmallow feature.
Marshmallow supposedly unifies SD card space with the internal space so Android doesn't see them as any different. I say "supposedly" because there are no SD card-equipped devices with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Endless Mike posted:

Marshmallow supposedly unifies SD card space with the internal space so Android doesn't see them as any different. I say "supposedly" because there are no SD card-equipped devices with it.

Anyone can test it on a nexus device because Google included the ability to force an attached USB drive to be adopted storage.

From what I've gathered reading up on it. It's pretty much an an all or nothing thing. If you adopt storage and allow it to move apps to it, it basically ceases to use internal storage for anything other than the system. It's very much a feature built around phones having a TINY bit of internal storage and an SD card slot rather than saying "Oh hey, I have a 64gb phone, let me add 128gb of storage and now I have 192gb in which to install apps!"

If you have a phone with large amounts of internal storage, you are not going to want to use adopted storage. You'll want to use it just as expanded storage like Lollipop today (fortunately, you have that choice.)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Anyone can test it on a nexus device because Google included the ability to force an attached USB drive to be adopted storage.

From what I've gathered reading up on it. It's pretty much an an all or nothing thing. If you adopt storage and allow it to move apps to it, it basically ceases to use internal storage for anything other than the system. It's very much a feature built around phones having a TINY bit of internal storage and an SD card slot rather than saying "Oh hey, I have a 64gb phone, let me add 128gb of storage and now I have 192gb in which to install apps!"

Really sounds like something for low-end android phones / AndroidOne style stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really sounds like something for low-end android phones / AndroidOne style stuff.

Yup, it's really for the 4 and 8gb phones of the world. 16gb is right on the border depending on your use case.

Really, 16gb is only a valid storage choice (with an SD card) if you don't use a ton of large games but want to pin large amounts of media for local storage.

Good news for Syrinxx is that Moto has a no questions asked return policy. So, the 32gb model could be obtained for an extra $50.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 23, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

I mean obviously would prefer that they all have more memory, but if the leaks are correct for the 16GB one then I'd sure prefer they put 3GB in the 32GB.

Speaking of the Nexus 5X, Android Police now have the press images, confirming the ice blue color.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/23/exclusive-behold-the-leaked-press-renders-of-lgs-nexus-5x-in-white-black-and-greenish-blue/

And the 6P images went up earlier too if anyone missed those:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/23/exclusive-the-nexus-6p-colors-white-black-aluminum-and-gold/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If you have a phone with large amounts of internal storage, you are not going to want to use adopted storage. You'll want to use it just as expanded storage like Lollipop today (fortunately, you have that choice.)
:stare:

Oh wow, that's actually worse than I thought. I guess, at least, it hopefully means it won't break things if you remove the SD card. Right?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

Good news for Syrinxx is that Moto has a no questions asked return policy. So, the 32gb model could be obtained for an extra $50.
Thanks, I picked it up from Amazon who also have a great policy. I'll probably stick it out with 16GB and try the adopted storage thing; I'm kind of a hotsauce in that I buy a phone around every 10-12 months anyway.

I would genuinely like to know what in the gently caress is taking up 6.5GB of the storage on the X Pure though. Most stock-ish ROMs I've ever seen are less than 1GB

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 23, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lenovo has to put their trackers in there somewhere. But maybe they just made /system really big for futureproofing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

I would genuinely like to know what in the gently caress is taking up 6.5GB of the storage on the X Pure though. Most stock-ish ROMs I've ever seen are less than 1GB

Not really sure what you are looking at. The X is in line with Nexus devices which usually have the most sparse ROM possible. For example, the 32gb Nexus 6 has 25.98gb available out of the box. So, just over 6gb used by the system.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The new nexus looks like it crams Project Tango sensors in there or something.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Logikv9 posted:

Contains both a finger print and barcode scanner

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Logikv9 posted:

That would be rad, getting the Tango stuff out into a more 'mainstream' device would be a good push

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks, I picked it up from Amazon who also have a great policy. I'll probably stick it out with 16GB and try the adopted storage thing; I'm kind of a hotsauce in that I buy a phone around every 10-12 months anyway.

Isn't the 6gb a partition, not files? So it has room for updates etc. Some of that space would be empty but inaccessible.
Also, hasn't having 16GB been too small for like 2 years? Either iPhone or Android devices?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

They should stop having 16GB be an option in flagships but then people would complain about price points

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Guys relax, mystery solved, the Nexus 6P black bar is actually a removable battery cover

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thoughts on the Xperia Z5 Compact to replace a Z3 Compact?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Any word on whether either of the new Nexus phones will have notification LEDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I doubt it. Notification LEDs seem to be replaced by ambient display.