Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Even if something ends in a phone call, it's nice if it starts with some text just so you can have some time to get ready and maybe look something up rather than just cold go to the phone and have a lot of dead air while someone looks something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

This is how I feel. Most of the people I deal with can't articulate poo poo well enough in text for me to do anything with it.

The product owner (project manager/dude in charge of what features we work on/etc) emailed me today asking about a problem and if there were any logs. Our logging is... inconsistent... and depending on what was happening the logs could have been in a number of places, so I asked him to tell me what he was doing in the program to get the error so I could help chase it down. I WANTED to, it's code I'm responsible for and want to get it as bug-free as I reasonably can.

An hour and 5 rounds of email ping-pong later, he managed to finally give me a vague idea of what path through the program he was taking. It's almost like he wanted to do it himself without me butting in, but this guy does this poo poo all the time. He almost never answers the question you ask directly, he dances around the edges of it and you just have to keep asking the same poo poo over and over. He also works 100% remote so it's impossible to just corner him in his office and make him demonstrate. Keep in mind this guy is not a random user, he is the product owner, he is intimately familiar with how our product functions and should function, and we shouldn't have to pull teeth to get information from him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

95% of the voicemails I get are from Comodo wanting to "urgently talk with me about my expiring SSL certificate." (gently caress Comodo for ever and ever for sales tactics like this, you've just guaranteed that I will never do business with you if I can help it throughout my entire career.)

4.9% of them are other vendors I've never talked with before

0.1% of voicemails are actually actionable and usually they were followed up (or prefaced) with an email.

Seriously though, I hate the phone. It's just a time suck most of the time because most of the time it's unnecessary. Just this afternoon, I sent a Dell rep an email that we were going to execute on a quote they gave us the day prior. The response I got back was "I would be happy to do that, please call me at the earliest convenience." The reason? He wanted to verify that the shipping address was correct. That's it. That's something that could have been done in the original email.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coredump posted:

Sometimes instead of emailing back and forth over the course of a day I just like to get something resolved over a 10 minute call.
I have a contact at our sister company who will email you with "call me" and nothing else when you ask him to do something. If you call him, he'll ask for some little bit of information, then put you on hold for 30 minutes while he works.

I just hang up on him when he does that.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

bull3964 posted:

95% of the voicemails I get are from Comodo wanting to "urgently talk with me about my expiring SSL certificate." (gently caress Comodo for ever and ever for sales tactics like this, you've just guaranteed that I will never do business with you if I can help it throughout my entire career.)

4.9% of them are other vendors I've never talked with before

0.1% of voicemails are actually actionable and usually they were followed up (or prefaced) with an email.

Seriously though, I hate the phone. It's just a time suck most of the time because most of the time it's unnecessary. Just this afternoon, I sent a Dell rep an email that we were going to execute on a quote they gave us the day prior. The response I got back was "I would be happy to do that, please call me at the earliest convenience." The reason? He wanted to verify that the shipping address was correct. That's it. That's something that could have been done in the original email.

I have an entire list of vendors that I'll never do business with because they literally harass the poo poo out of me.

You hear that Zones? You are never getting my loving business, because you called me every two days for three months straight.

I finally got them to gently caress off by having them run up a large number of time wasting quotes from me, then not buying from them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

I have a contact at our sister company who will email you with "call me" and nothing else when you ask him to do something. If you call him, he'll ask for some little bit of information, then put you on hold for 30 minutes while he works.

I just hang up on him when he does that.

Yeah, if you're not his direct report there are ways to address that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hey the people we told you were moving and we needed longer network cables and surge protectors and crap for?

We're not moving them. Thanks for rushing an ordering all that stuff earlier in the week!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coredump posted:

Yeah, if you're not his direct report there are ways to address that.
Nah he's just a sysadmin at another company owned by the same parent company as ours, which for some reason has been given the responsibility for the entire group's unified network and server systems.

From various little birds I know I'm not alone in being annoyed with his methods, so he might not be around for much longer.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

bull3964 posted:

No received email may have been lost, but we did have a few clients report to us that they got bounces during the day yesterday.

Shouldn't have been a hard bounce, just a delay notification. Most of my clients would immediately dismiss anything from postmaster@ as a bounce, as they tend to not Read Words.

Anyway, Mimecast issue turned out to be a DDoS. They recovered from it fairly gracefully considering. I wonder if it was related to the AWS issues around the same time. Surprises me that this type of thing doesn't happen more often.

Mimecast partner email posted:

I wanted to let you know, if you haven’t heard already, about a degradation in service yesterday that affected customers on our U.S. grid and caused significant disruption to their email services on Monday. I want to get this out in front of you so you hear it directly from me rather than from other sources.

At about 11.20am EST we saw malicious traffic from multiple IP addresses targeting our U.S. network. We experienced performance issues due to this traffic and consequently our service and email processing slowed. We worked to mitigate this issue and ultimately restored the services. The processing backlog has taken time to clear, resulting in service disruption of several hours. Our email is now processing normally and remaining customer queues have cleared or are clearing. We have seen no evidence of impact beyond this network service degradation. While we are very disappointed to have suffered this problem and appreciate the disruption it caused our partners and customers, it is important to remember that events like this are very rare and not limited to Mimecast. We communicated via Twitter and Blogs as well as via our Administration Console and texts with the most up to date information that we had available and responded as required.

A detailed incident report will be published by the end of this week and will detail this issue further.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
things that piss me off: forgetting to use sudo
things that make me happy: https://github.com/nvbn/thefuck

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

deep impact on vhs posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I'm confused why a github repo and python are required for
code:
$ alias gently caress='sudo !!' 
e: Oh, I see, it does a whole lot more than sudo fixes. But still, "sudo !!" is the best command to know.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
All that terminal ricing and completely pointless colorization
Arch
Install instructions like :barf:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I'm confused why a github repo and python are required for
code:
$ alias gently caress='sudo !!' 
e: Oh, I see, it does a whole lot more than sudo fixes. But still, "sudo !!" is the best command to know.

I was thinking this until I saw the repo. Regardless of how useful it actually is, it's pretty funny.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Today... some software called PartSmart.... Why in 2015 are developers still making software where the very first installation instruction is set the shortcut to run as Administrator?!

I have been trying for almost an hour watching RegMon/FileMon for Access Denied errors. I have resolved them, but yet it still refuses to run without admin. From the .NET exception it throws, it appears they are specifically checking if the software has Administrator and failing if not. I can find no other reason...

I try to keep a "admin free" environment as much as possible, but lazy loving developers really make it hard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thank you for this. Works awesome in OS X.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

All that terminal ricing and completely pointless colorization
Arch
Install instructions like :barf:

Just install it with pip.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome, I can just install this and use Linux without understanding it at all!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What pisses me off? People that request assistance, I respond immediately and then when they see me standing in their office doorway completely ignore me while they talk to a coworker. Yes, I understand you're in the middle of a discussion but at the very least I expect acknowledgement. I stood there for about five minutes before I'd had enough and went back to my office.

It's not hard to say "Please come back in x minutes."

mewse
May 2, 2006

Clear your throat and say "should I come back in a bit?"

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

What pisses me off? People that request assistance, I respond immediately and then when they see me standing in their office doorway completely ignore me while they talk to a coworker. Yes, I understand you're in the middle of a discussion but at the very least I expect acknowledgement. I stood there for about five minutes before I'd had enough and went back to my office.

It's not hard to say "Please come back in x minutes."

Don't you have like a 5 word title now? I'm more surprised that you're getting up and going to respond to help calls. (Not meant as a criticism!)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Awesome, I can just install this and use Linux without understanding it at all!

I'm a fan of all the helpful rules that will add recursive and force flags to previous commands like "rm".

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

I'm a fan of all the helpful rules that will add recursive and force flags to previous commands like "rm".

rf -rm
gently caress

Am I doing this right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You forgot the '.*' in there.

thefuck should redo it correctly and also add the sudo in there for you. You don't want to miss any files.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Don't you have like a 5 word title now? I'm more surprised that you're getting up and going to respond to help calls. (Not meant as a criticism!)

I'm the only I.T. person here so I still have to do all the grunt work. For most of my I.T. career I've been the only tech at my workplace.

They've been doing alot of hiring recently so that means lots of systems to prep, but at least today most of the office is out due to some sort of holiday so I can turn my music up instead of using earbuds. OMD for everyone!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm the only I.T. person here so I still have to do all the grunt work. For most of my I.T. career I've been the only tech at my workplace.

They've been doing alot of hiring recently so that means lots of systems to prep, but at least today most of the office is out due to some sort of holiday so I can turn my music up instead of using earbuds. OMD for everyone!

What is the point of being the Director of IT if you don't have people to direct?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Installed. It even works with YUM/RHEL-based OSes!

rf -rm
gently caress

Am I doing this right?

flosofl posted:

You forgot the '.*' in there.

thefuck should redo it correctly and also add the sudo in there for you. You don't want to miss any files.

RHEL 7 and dervitaves won't even let you do that anymore

quote:

$ sudo rm -rf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on ‘/’
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sickening posted:

What is the point of being the Director of IT if you don't have people to direct?

None, that's why I'm Sr. VP of I.T.! :pseudo:

:eng99:

In this case it's because they wanted someone who could handle I.T. strategy for a small but growing business that's far behind in terms of systems, processes and procedures. I mean, this is the first year they're trying to make budgets fer pete's sake! They recognized they needed alot of help so they made a nice title with a nice salary to try and lure someone like me in that's familiar with their industry and what it takes to whip them into shape.

Whether or not they intend to follow through with any or all of what I'm proposing is yet to be seen. But at this point I just want the money, and the title to help buff up my resume.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
New job in West Michigan is going well.

They expect me to be fully trained/certified on Asterisks (they are paying for the certification) in 6 months-ish. In the meantime I am in charge of fixing their horrendous network that is getting a 200,000$+ upgrade very soon.
I also need to hire two more people when I figure out what they actually need to fully do, and I am in charge of bringing our old embedded box up to date as RHEL5 is being EOLed in two years.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Lightning Jim posted:

Installed. It even works with YUM/RHEL-based OSes!

RHEL 7 and dervitaves won't even let you do that anymore

You missed that part of thefuck:

quote:

rm_root – adds --no-preserve-root to rm -rf / command.

in it's defense, that rule isn't enabled by default

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

You missed that part of thefuck:

in it's defense, that rule isn't enabled by default

:allears:

This is a good program

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

New job in West Michigan is going well.

They expect me to be fully trained/certified on (they are paying for the certification) in 6 months-ish. In the meantime I am in charge of fixing their horrendous network that is getting a 200,000$+ upgrade very soon.
I also need to hire two more people when I figure out what they actually need to fully do, and I am in charge of bringing our old embedded box up to date as RHEL5 is being EOLed in two years.

So are you doing some sort of embedded gateway? I support big iron Linux based PBX's and am always interested in what else is out there.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Dick Trauma posted:

None, that's why I'm Sr. VP of I.T.! :pseudo:

:eng99:

In this case it's because they wanted someone who could handle I.T. strategy for a small but growing business that's far behind in terms of systems, processes and procedures. I mean, this is the first year they're trying to make budgets fer pete's sake! They recognized they needed alot of help so they made a nice title with a nice salary to try and lure someone like me in that's familiar with their industry and what it takes to whip them into shape.

Whether or not they intend to follow through with any or all of what I'm proposing is yet to be seen. But at this point I just want the money, and the title to help buff up my resume.

Shouldn't you have a budget and be able to make hiring decisions on your own at this point?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So are you doing some sort of embedded gateway? I support big iron Linux based PBX's and am always interested in what else is out there.

The embedded part is our phone/messaging system itself, unfortunately a PBX is still a bit too much to handle in the embedded world for anything past 100+ calls at once, so we still have to use big iron Linux based PBX's.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sonicwalls can eat a loving sackful of cocks. Nothing on them really works right, and they insist on using some weird binary format for the config so it can get corrupted and then the official resolution is to wipe the box out and start again. If I have to reload then I'll spend my time configuring something that isn't as poo poo, but thanks for the offer.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You can export the config in plain text, but it does suck that you get to wait on hold for an hour and then all they tell you is that it should be working and you need to reflash or wipe it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Skandranon posted:

Shouldn't you have a budget and be able to make hiring decisions on your own at this point?

They literally have never had budgets before. This is the first year they're making a go of it and each department head is creating a budget. No I.T. budget will exist until I make the first one, for 2016. The review will likely drag on until at least the end of the year because my boss and the CEO operate in a wickedly inefficient fashion.

As for hiring although it would be nice to not do scutwork we're still too small to justify adding a person and it's not like my support workload is at all heavy. Most of my time is spent on strategy, proposals and building this budget in such a way as to make it as easy as possible for my boss to both understand it and approve it. When they finally see their OPEX who knows how that will affect their desire to improve and plan for growth? They might panic and SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING or they might wake up and recognize how aimless they've been operationally.

People being lovely has always been and probably will always be my biggest challenge and source of work dismay, especially since so many of these lovely people have been my superiors. I don't expect any better here, just want to hang onto this job as long as possible. The bar for how I expect to be treated at work has been set as low as can be. I think it's sitting on the floor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Happiness Commando posted:

You can export the config in plain text, but it does suck that you get to wait on hold for an hour and then all they tell you is that it should be working and you need to reflash or wipe it.

Yeah but you can't do poo poo with that export. You can SSH into the box and start typing stuff in but a bunch of it is read-only.

I think I'm just annoyed because I'm being dragged into this problem now after someone has tried to do it all themselves and not really bounce the plan off anyone else (they like to build empires). We lost a site a couple of weeks ago when an HA pair just failed for some reason, and despite being prompted to maybe try and work out what the gently caress caused the problem the answer is "welp, let's just start again". No gently caress you, find out why these things wiped their firmware loads out before we put a single service behind them.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 23, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't even. I literally can't handle the resolution to an issue that's been ongoing for nearly three weeks.

Let's say you have an account for a product.
Let's say that you have to import a license to the product that is tied to your account.
Let's say that you cannot log into your account.
Maybe you deliberately didn't give it a valid email address, and forgot your password, and thus cannot reset your password. You're totally locked out.
And let's say you're an employee of the company who creates the product (and account) you're locked out of.

What do you do?

Do you ask around to see if someone, maybe support, can forcibly reset your password? No, that would be far too easy.

Instead, you don't do any of these things. You don't mention any of these things. No, you find an old license for an old expired account (you know it's expired, because you logged into it to try grab the license, and couldn't because it was expired) on your harddrive somewhere.

Then you try to import that even though it is expired. The product, of course, tells you the license is expired.

This is when you go off the deep end. You create an internal escalation to engineering saying that the product has a defect.

You claim that a customer is using the license for a valid account, when none of this is true. You don't go to our support, because you'd be revealed as a liar in about 30 seconds flat. And because there have been some server-side license-related issues recently, the escalation directly to engineering is granted.

Engineering is baffled. Everything looks right on our side. The account they're looking at certainly isn't expired. Logs are gathered from the product and analyzed. Somehow, the license doesn't match. The one they're using doesn't match their account. Maybe the servers are somehow serving the wrong license?

You respond to every attempt to troubleshoot this with "That didn't work" and similar, and eventually start CC'ing management about how this problem is damaging our reputation with our customers. Remember, you didn't mention this account was for an internal account.

There's a massive kerfluffle. There are angry meetings with VPs and some C-levels about the problem. Everything points at engineering being incompetent or foolish.

Engineering spends hours on this, every day, and nothing makes sense! Everything looks good on our side. This account has the right license! We see no way they could be getting the wrong one.

Eventually, someone somewhere realizes that there really IS nothing wrong on our side, and forces the issue. We discover this elaborate cover-up.

The password is forcibly reset by Support.

The right license is downloaded.

It works, first time.

Jesus loving christ. I bet we spent at least $10,000 on man hours during this "crisis" trying to resolve it. Most expensive password reset ever.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why was that person not escorted out?