Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

This thread is going to be a magical place in the next week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Liberal Democrats' conference – New leader Tim Farron gets the party’s conference under way by saying they can provide creditable opposition to the Conservatives"

Telegraph:

Labour would renationalise railways 'line by line,' says Jeremy Corbyn; Novelist Jackie Collins dies aged 77

Times:

After Donald McGill.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

This morning's If is about the Lib Dem conference:

I usually prefer to do a weekend roundup but rest assured, I'll post straight away if there's something appropriately amazing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm here for the pig cartoons. Don't let me down thread.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Some cartoons from Main Thread:

fspades posted:

Can you tell which cartoonist is really excited about the recent news?

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Lib Dems' call for Labour defectors – Tim Farron says election of Jeremy Corbyn as leader could lead to disgruntled Labour MPs turning to his party"

Telegraph:

Lord Ashcroft 'not settling scores' with David Cameron book

Yesterday's Independent:

Jeremy Corbyn had 'fling' with Diane Abbott in the 1970s

Independent:

Times:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
They're... Are they actually defending him? What the everliving gently caress?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Well, Adams is more attacking Ashcroft, which isn't too awful as this is all basically a tantrum by him for cash not equalling political influence. Brookes' I could almost read as defending Corbyn if I didn't have all of Brookes' previous work on the subject for context. I guess nobody can directly defend Cameron at this point (except that guy from the Spectator) so the best they can do is point at someone else and say "look, they're also a poo poo!"

The joy and inner contentment that comes from a renationalised railway is comparable only to the deep bliss of romantic love, a good cartoon.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Having consensual sex with a black woman in the 1970's gets far more press ire than bumming a pig in the gob to get into a secret society.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am glad that people are more concerned with dead pigs than actual issues.

The Times cartoon is quite funny, though.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Paladinus posted:

I am glad that people are more concerned with dead pigs than actual issues.

Oh, do learn to enjoy yourself, for goodness sake.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Please tell me what world you live in where David Cameron loving a Dead Pig doesn't take precedent

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TomViolence posted:

Oh, do learn to enjoy yourself, for goodness sake.

Calico Heart posted:

Please tell me what world you live in where David Cameron loving a Dead Pig doesn't take precedent

I do find this bit of non-news funny and enjoy pig puns and what not, but ultimately it's still non-news. Even if Dave fucks his roast every Sunday, it hardly has any bearing on Tories' policies and the country's life. If Thatcher hosed a pig, I'm sure she would be less loathed today. In collective memory facts (or myths) like that often completely overshadow everything else. Who knows, maybe in fifty years people will only remember Hitler's missing testicle. So maybe it's all a carefully planned PR stunt. Like with that American politician who tried to cover up his affair with rumours about him being gay.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Once again, David Squires' football strip is more relevant than most professional political cartoonists

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Mousepractice posted:

Once again, David Squires' football strip is more relevant than most professional political cartoonists

Why am I not reading this all the time? "3. Mime" had me chuckling.

Edit: :stare:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Squires is class.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm not a huge football fan, but those cartoons are really good. I wouldn't mind seeing them more often.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I bet you're a member of one of those clubs were you go round each other's houses and do colouring-in books, aren't you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Wing posted:

What an odd place to find GY!BE.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Dead Flag Blues and sport go hand in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKC7cH1-kI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBhyXziy8Ic

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Paladinus posted:

I'm not a huge football fan, but those cartoons are really good. I wouldn't mind seeing them more often.
Yeah, I have literally no idea what any of them are about but I'm laughing all the same.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, I have literally no idea what any of them are about but I'm laughing all the same.

You should watch some vids from the Diego Costa thing for some grade-A cheating. He rubbed his hands on another guy's face like it was a dishtowel.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Guardian

Majestic.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Fans posted:

The Guardian

Majestic.

:eyepop:

Bell shows everyone how to make a pig joke with some substance.

By the way where is Rowson lately?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Green Wing posted:

Amazing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Rowson's just come back from his holidays so we might see something from him this week or after the weekend. Here's a 2009 cartoon of his that he tweeted out in the interim:

(After William Holman Hunt)

Based on context I'm assuming that this is about the expenses scandal and Brown is throttling then-Speaker Michael Martin, who to be fair pretty comprehensively hosed up by abusing expenses, failing to declare interests and then trying to use Parliamentary privilege to block the release of any incriminating information. Cameron is high on the hog (complete with taxpayer-funded duck house) along with (maybe) Ruth Davidson, who won stood in the by-election in Martin's former constituency.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 23, 2015

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Telegraph:

Volkswagen facing multiple US probes

Times:

I'm on holiday for the next couple of days.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Party Boat posted:

Rowson's just come back from his holidays so we might see something from him this week or after the weekend. Here's a 2009 cartoon of his that he tweeted out in the interim:

(After William Holman Hunt)

Based on context I'm assuming that this is about the expenses scandal and Brown is throttling then-Speaker Michael Martin, who to be fair pretty comprehensively hosed up by abusing expenses, failing to declare interests and then trying to use Parliamentary privilege to block the release of any incriminating information. Cameron is high on the hog (complete with taxpayer-funded duck house) along with Ruth Davidson, who won the by-election in Martin's former constituency.

Huh, no she didn't? She got 5% of the vote. Willie Bain won with more than 50%. Last time a Tory won in that part of Glasgow was 1931. So long ago that the Labour candidate was Keir Hardie's brother.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

forkboy84 posted:

Huh, no she didn't? She got 5% of the vote. Willie Bain won with more than 50%. Last time a Tory won in that part of Glasgow was 1931. So long ago that the Labour candidate was Keir Hardie's brother.

Doy, that's what I get for not properly looking things up first thing in the morning. Is that Davidson then?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It definitely could be. But I'd surprised if it was just because nobody knew who she was in 2009: she didn't get elected to Holyrood until 2011 (& then 4 months later became Scottish leader which is some turn around)

Can't work out who else it'd be though.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Times:

I'm on holiday for the next couple of days.

TITS

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

That's a wonderfully morose Farron.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If... 21-24 September

wuthering
Oct 31, 2012
Can anyone help me identify the person on the far right in this Dave Brown cartoon? It's from the end of February 2011, if that helps.

That's Ben Ali, Mubarak and Gaddafi respectively, but I don't think the last guy is an Arab Spring leader unless I'm forgetting someone.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
It looks a bit like Mervyn King but he didn't leave the BofE until 2012. Hmmmmmmmm

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Brian Cowen?

I will admit I cheated and just looked at the February 2011 page on Wikipedia.

wuthering
Oct 31, 2012

Wolfsbane posted:

Brian Cowen?

I will admit I cheated and just looked at the February 2011 page on Wikipedia.

That's probably it! It would certainly fit the theme at least, although this cartoon was published 28th February so the timing is a little odd.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

wuthering posted:

That's probably it! It would certainly fit the theme at least, although this cartoon was published 28th February so the timing is a little odd.

That's definitely old Biffo. The February date matches up with the 2011 election when his party took a drubbing at the polls - he'd already stood down as leader so it's probably more a comment on FF getting destroyed in the election more than anything.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Steve Bell's done another little video for the graun, this time about Jezza "Karl Marx meets Beatrix Potter" http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/sep/30/karl-marx-meets-beatrix-potter-steve-bell-draws-jeremy-corbyn-video

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

"I'm never going to let go of the pig's head I tell you, it's too good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

"I'm never going to let go of the pig's head I tell you, it's too good."

This one's pretty on the nose.

• Locked thread