Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not hard to use Powershell frankly. The issue is the truly hosed up operation modifiers. Doing a basic Get-Mailbox option | next option in itself for example isnt that bad either. It how loving outright insane it gets from there- as if they thought hey yeah, bash shell allows for a fuckton of switches so lets add more and badly document them! Yeah admins will LOVE that poo poo, see how much they love that in Linux!

No. Just.... no.

Especially on something as deeply complex as Exchange, having a good GUI is a very good thing. See, I cant even GET the web interface to work right now as the install was aware there was a trusted domain and another Exchange enviroment, thence it's expecting me to do a migration of the site - is now wanting the Organization Administrator to be migrated before ECP will work... as ECP also is throwing me back to OWA and that's failing because there's no mailbox to allow OWA to work with. Who was the contemptible idiot that allowed that scenario to happen?

Oh and I do notice that the usual google it to find exotic issue fixes just is not as prevalent as with older Exchange versions as it looks like no one wants to touch that crap.

Oh and when I do isolate the new install well enough so it does a New Org properly? Well gently caress me, now the installer says it cant find a domain controller despite it being quite well working and functional with NO firewalls on. Oh and of course DNS checks are clear and dcdiag is quite fine. Figuring THAT issue out right now. Lord Almighty.

I am going to choke the poo poo out of whatever idiot was the manager of this clusterfuck of a Exchange verison.
:iit:

ECP should be available without any mailboxes; I'd start there. Honestly these are the reasons why I don't recommend migrating from Exchange 2010 unless you're throwing poo poo up on O365, but that's just me :angel:

CommieGIR posted:

I found the root of your problem: Exchange
Exchange is an unruly beast, but it's the Most Prevalent Game In Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

I found the root of your problem: Exchange

...No. People presume it's for clicktards which is it's main issue - Clicktards should stay the gently caress away from it. Set up and run properly it Just Works and works quite drat well. I actually normally like running our various Exchange platforms.

Just like any other mail / groupware server, you let retards admin it, it's a shitfest.

quote:

unless you're throwing poo poo up on O365

gently caress O365 with a barge pole frankly.

quote:

Exchange is an unruly beast, but it's the Most Prevalent Game In Town.

When run like it should be, also the most featured and powerful platform going by some margin.

Interesting, doing a Setup.exe /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms shows more info, it cant find the Enterprise Organization container. Hmmmmm, possibly another prefight check didnt run properly. Okay, lets go look at the AD Forest and see what I am missing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

...No. People presume it's for clicktards which is it's main issue - Clicktards should stay the gently caress away from it. Set up and run properly it Just Works and works quite drat well. I actually normally like running our various Exchange platforms.

Just like any other mail / groupware server, you let retards admin it, it's a shitfest.

gently caress O365 with a barge pole frankly.

When run like it should be, also the most featured and powerful platform going by some margin.

Interesting, doing a Setup.exe /PrepareAD /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms shows more info, it cant find the Enterprise Organization container. Hmmmmm, possibly another prefight check didnt run properly. Okay, lets go look at the AD Forest and see what I am missing.

:shrug: I hate managing them. I rolled out Ubuntu mail server, so far so good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

After an hour in the box the turtle decided to take a poo poo, hail Satan

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

After an hour in the box the turtle decided to take a poo poo, hail Satan

Smoke that poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

:shrug: I hate managing them. I rolled out Ubuntu mail server, so far so good.

Dunno why Exchange gets hate, it's a great meal ticket.

Hmmm, this is very interesting with the preflight checks on this install. Narrowing it down to exactly what container in AD it's making GBS threads itself on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Replace Exchange with Sharepoint and read what you wrote.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I wish Mr. Regular wasn't gonna ruin the Falcon by replacing the I6 with a V8 :(

Nothing against the V8, it's just that every loving car at every loving meet is some old guy so proud that he--get this!--swapped the lame old flathead 6 for a SBC!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Nooooooooooooo!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

I wish Mr. Regular wasn't gonna ruin the Falcon by replacing the I6 with a V8 :(

Nothing against the V8, it's just that every loving car at every loving meet is some old guy so proud that he--get this!--swapped the lame old flathead 6 for a SBC!

At least he's using a SBF. v:shobon:v

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Enourmo posted:

At least he's using a SBF. v:shobon:v

I saw your sneaky edit, motherfucker.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Dunno why Exchange gets hate, it's a great meal ticket.

Hmmm, this is very interesting with the preflight checks on this install. Narrowing it down to exactly what container in AD it's making GBS threads itself on.

I've had to repair numerous exchange and domain boxes that were never setup right to begin with. They work for months, even years, and then suddenly fail. Ticking time bombs. I mean, yeah, you're right: That's every service and server.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

I saw your sneaky edit, motherfucker.

:v: me not were think good when i typed it out, only saw my fuckup after I posted.

Mostly because what I thought was "Ford small block" so my brain just replaced the first letter in the acronym.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Phone posted:

It's been well proven Sharepoint was a turd from birth. GG that poo poo is just the worst

Okay, this is really odd solution - BECAUSE there is a trusted Exchange 2007 environment, even with enough isolation to make Exch2013 do a standalone, it's looking for Exchange containers in AD. The fix is run schemaprep and prepareAD with Exchange 2007 Sp 3 to prepare the directory of the target AD.

Okay, lets give this one a whirl.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

When I bartend I squash that poo poo immediately. No religion or politics thankyouverymuch

I'm gonna come talk about politics as religion.

Then call the aclu when you squash it.

:v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm gonna come talk about politics as religion.

Then call the aclu when you squash it.

:v:

Where's your mk2 thread?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Frankly I preferred politics chat to IT chat.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrChips posted:

Which operating system should be elected president?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Nobody's happy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enourmo posted:

temple os

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

Where's your mk2 thread?

I was on duty yesterday, so literally home for the first time in 36 hours as of about half an hour ago. I'll get something up tonight.

Just got car mail too! Now to actually figure out what all these gaskets are...cause I definitely haven't removed this many.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Enourmo posted:

LoseThos

e: Same thing as TempleOS

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Jesus tapdancing christ what the FUCKhappened overnight????

Chill the gently caress out everyone and watch WRC. I'm doing that at work because this Exchange 2013 server would make me commit suicide otherwise..... what a complete fuckup this version of Exchange truly is. No MMC console? Web based????? Who was the moron that thought this was a good idea?

I am not primarily a Windows guy; I know just enough to be dangerous. But what I DO know is that Exchange 2013 is a horrible, flaming piece of dogshit that hit RTM months before it was actually a viable piece of software, to the point of it just straight not working, corrupting its own database, and causing nightly crashes being considered "normal issues" with the first several Cumulative Updates. It wasn't until CU7 that it could even be considered stable, and even so, there continue to be major issues such with its functionality and stability. I am the biggest idiot of the loving planet for deciding "Hmm, we hardly ever change major version of software in this standalone environment, now we have the funding and man-hours to do so, LET'S GET THE LATEST VERSION OF EXCHANGE SO WE'RE FUTURE-PROOF".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

IT chat is politics chat. Here, let me prove it.

VI or EMACS. GO!

Or I could really get a politics shitstorm going with "Hey guys I love SystemD!!! What about you?????"

Well poo poo doing a prepareAD with Exch2007 worked. Exch2013 is now installing. WTF.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

LoseThos

LoseThos is TempleOS now. http://motherboard.vice.com/read/gods-lonely-programmer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

VI or EMACS. GO!
vi. People who use emacs are assholes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
VI.

Vim

Notepad++ in Windows.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

VI or EMACS. GO!

Or I could really get a politics shitstorm going with "Hey guys I love SystemD!!! What about you?????"

Well poo poo doing a prepareAD with Exch2007 worked. Exch2013 is now installing. WTF.
Nobody other than crusty old 50+ y/o programmers use emacs anymore. Well, them, or their students.

I implore, no, direct you, to only do your Exch2013 install via the CU8+ installer, or you are going to be spending a lot of time at work this evening.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 24, 2015

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

I'm going to have a look at and probably buy a 1999 Mazda e2200 LWB van this weekend to convert into a cheap camper that I'm going to live in for a few months while I travel Europe. It's an ugly bastard of a van but at least that way no-one will want to steal it!
I'll probably make some kind of project thread while I'm converting it I guess??

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I'm going to have a look at and probably buy a 1999 Mazda e2200 LWB van this weekend to convert into a cheap camper that I'm going to live in for a few months while I travel Europe. It's an ugly bastard of a van but at least that way no-one will want to steal it!
I'll probably make some kind of project thread while I'm converting it I guess??

Do exactly that. I love the B2200, it's time to see what its non-American non-union van counterpart is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All of you angry fuckers are setting an at least three-year record for reports / poo poo posting in AI today (and I'm too lazy to go through the ancient reports sent to our lord and savior Sigtrap, assuming ones that old still even exist). Let off some loving steam already.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Choke on Poettering's nasty dick.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sigma X posted:

I am not primarily a Windows guy; I know just enough to be dangerous. But what I DO know is that Exchange 2013 is a horrible, flaming piece of dogshit that hit RTM months before it was actually a viable piece of software, to the point of it just straight not working, corrupting its own database, and causing nightly crashes being considered "normal issues" with the first several Cumulative Updates. It wasn't until CU7 that it could even be considered stable, and even so, there continue to be major issues such with its functionality and stability. I am the biggest idiot of the loving planet for deciding "Hmm, we hardly ever change major version of software in this standalone environment, now we have the funding and man-hours to do so, LET'S GET THE LATEST VERSION OF EXCHANGE SO WE'RE FUTURE-PROOF".

Yeah I'm rapidly working this one out. I run 12 Exchange organizations with various sizes and clustering / DRS (Depending on version) which serve 100+ sites and 27 countries singlehanded and have no issues with older versions. With a new org we're building from scratch we chose to bite the bullet with Exch2013 for the same reasoning, get it up to date and futureproof. Seems sane right?

Plus I wanted to get my teeth into multi-tenant as I could then demostrate a really neato way to bring all the Exchange infrastructure into one overall setup that doesnt care about what it hosts or how.

gently caress me, this poo poo is just baaaaaad. Updating so loving fast to latest CU/SP after I get it working it's not funny.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Let off some loving steam already.

my car is fwd please dont driftshame me

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

VI or EMACS. GO!

Mac OSX is the best OS to grace our planet

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

All of you angry fuckers are setting an at least three-year record for reports / poo poo posting in AI today (and I'm too lazy to go through the ancient reports sent to our lord and savior Sigtrap, assuming ones that old still even exist). Let off some loving steam already.

What if I'm straight? Can I do a skid chick?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

Do the skid backwards.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Was the previous record caused by me, by chance?

Seems to fit into the timeline :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Enourmo posted:

STFU FWD-Scum stop triggering me

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was in an 800hp rwd vehicle and it gave me PTSD please stop oppressing me with your anti-fwd hatespeech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Probably a couple pages too late, but have some more dog. This is my brothers new puppy.

• Locked thread