Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MiniFoo posted:

A ticket came in:

I'm not quite done closing the ticket yet, because there's still a few other things I need to do, but who here wants to guess what happened? :munch:

Someone's got their personal and work PCs linked on Dropbox and their personal PC is a cryptowall'd mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MiniFoo posted:

A ticket came in:

I'm not quite done closing the ticket yet, because there's still a few other things I need to do, but who here wants to guess what happened? :munch:

Nick is a sack of poo poo, final answer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Report the file as a false positive.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Report the file as a false positive.

Honestly HELP_DECRYPT.whatever isn't gonna hurt anything (based on my understanding of cryptowall anyway).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Honestly HELP_DECRYPT.whatever isn't gonna hurt anything (based on my understanding of cryptowall anyway).

The existence of the file is what indicates "THIS IS A CRYPTOWALL INFECTION", I think, since obviously any encrypted file is indistinguishable from an unencrypted one as far as the antivirus software is concerned. :thejoke: being that if you mark it as a false positive, cryptowall infections won't be alerted on.

Now excuse me while I dissect this frog.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

OriginalPseudonym posted:

The existence of the file is what indicates "THIS IS A CRYPTOWALL INFECTION", I think, since obviously any encrypted file is indistinguishable from an unencrypted one as far as the antivirus software is concerned. :thejoke: being that if you mark it as a false positive, cryptowall infections won't be alerted on.

That makes sense, though I have heard of some antiviruses helpfully deleting that file, removing even the option for people who might want to actually pay to get their stuff back.

I didn't really think about there not being any other indicator though.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

larchesdanrew posted:

Nick is a sack of poo poo, final answer.

He is a gross human being (a literal hoarder, actually - I dread whenever I have to go onsite), so I'll give you that. This wasn't his fault, though.

One folder in the Dropbox was shared with editing permissions to a client of his, which in turn held a single file (a .pdf). Checking the Dropbox event logs, this file was modified on Saturday morning, with three other files uploaded alongside it (HELP_DECRYPT.txt/.png/.url). Dude's computer probably got Crypto'd at that point. On "Nick's" laptop, the .pdf is the only file that won't open, and the .url file was the only one not downloaded yet because Avast caught it. Multiple times. Literally every fifteen seconds, because Dropbox kept on trying to sync it.

The entire folder's since been deleted via the account's web interface, and a full scan of the laptop revealed nothing else pertinent. Still have to check the other computers in his office, though.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

OriginalPseudonym posted:

6-time Cryptowall/locker warrior here. This is in fact the case, the help_dec.html/txt/etc file is put into every folder that the crypto virus found files it could encrypt. Most of the time, it is nailing readme.txts or other such non-vital .txt files so you will see the Help_Dec files all over the drive (and shares) but the virus itself does not reside in those folders. It is usually somewhere in appdata. The virus itself is easy to knock out, but this is because the purpose of the virus is not to hide, it wants to be seen in the form of help_dec files after the damage has been done so they can attempt to collect the ransom.

Many antiviruses will detect the help_dec, not because it is a virus but because it has been told to look for that particular file name. So yeah, if you delete all those help_dec files you will delete your instructions to pay the ransom. Then again, everyone backs everything up so there's no worry about lost data, right?

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

FireSight posted:

Being a former Ubiquiti employee (and tech support at that), I can say that the Ubiquiti AP's are incredibly good. If you just want a general AP, the UniFi line is your best bet. But knowing your boss, he's going to want to go for some cheapass consume grade linksys poo poo.

We've been running it for over a year with no issues. The AP Pros replaced the terrible Juniper AX411 that generated at least weekly complaints and were managed through an SRX firewall. Running the controller on a Debian VM is a huge bonus for having one less Windows dependent application.

OmniCorp fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 23, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have had less than great experiences with UniFi APs as well, but their point-to-point radios are really good.

Cisco have some crazy deals on at the moment for a controller, 2 APs and 25 licenses bundle. So that could be an option. If you want to admin it all yourself though then get Aerohive/Meraki.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can UniFi APs handle guest networks on their own without VLAN fuckery on the switch/router side of things?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector_666 posted:

Can UniFi APs handle guest networks on their own without VLAN fuckery on the switch/router side of things?

Yes. You will need to have the controller running if you want to pair that with landing page.

This is done by having the AP's block traffic to or from certain IP ranges (eg: corporate network) so it can be setup in an insecure way, whereas the vlan method only works if it's set up a secure way.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I managed to find a Cisco E1200 in the basement that may work if I can set it up with DHCP forwarding. I'll keep your offer in mind though if this dumb thing doesn't work.

Re: Mikrotik

We have a single E1500 stashed away in a networking closet, it's connected to a DSL modem in the basement, it reaches maybe the first two offices on that floor on a good day and half of my office on the floor below, and it also has to be reset every few hours or it just stops working. We constantly have employees and visitors asking about Wi-Fi and I have to either tell them no, or that the only Wi-Fi we have is a pile of poo poo and not worth connecting to.

So, one of my big long term goals is to get building-wide dual-band Wi-Fi set up so we can have employee access and guest/personal phone access. I've done this in the past, but it was for three separate small buildings and a single AP per building was ample enough coverage. This will be a first for setting up multiple APs in the same building.

Any suggestions for a decent system that won't absolutely demolish the bank? Is this a thing I can realistically set up and maintain myself, or is this the sort of task you outsource to professionals?

Meraki if you can afford it or Ubiquiti if the hardware costs are more important than the personnel costs. Now that Ubiquiti has centralized management it is a lot easier to find a problem.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The lovely Avid Unity that we're replacing with a StorNext SAN just did something super wacky. It "recovered" a missing drive to a spare drive and brought a bunch of unmountable workspaces back online. The "missing" drive had hosed up firmware or something.

What the gently caress Avid, I was not expecting that to actually work :psyduck:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

pr0digal posted:

The lovely Avid Unity that we're replacing with a StorNext SAN just did something super wacky. It "recovered" a missing drive to a spare drive and brought a bunch of unmountable workspaces back online. The "missing" drive had hosed up firmware or something.

What the gently caress Avid, I was not expecting that to actually work :psyduck:

The workspaces may be back but the files contained therein are probably hosed, which is what happened when my old boss forgot he'd turned mirroring off to get more storage and then had a drive fail.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Someone's got their personal and work PCs linked on Dropbox and their personal PC is a cryptowall'd mess?

DING DING

I had to deal with 2 infections like this with a client, both people had Dropbox, both had files synced on their home PC to their work PC. Only the PCs got infected (we've got a script that will detect the changed Crypto files and auto-disables all network connections) and ended up being wiped, and policies changed on personal file sharing/backup apps.

larchesdanrew posted:

An angry email from the GM came in.

Here's a news flash, though: I certainly can ignore it and it was kind of cathartic to point out to both the GM and news director that the lights they are suddenly so concerned with haven't been operational in over five years.

It's just a bizarre combination of mass hysteria and management cowing to the talent's whims. At the very least, I'm not climbing a rickety thirty foot ladder to change two light bulbs.

Man, and I half expected you to just waltz in and drop a box of duct tape and flashlights on the floor. Definitely put a reminder on your calendar for the last day to poo poo in both the GM and CE offices, preferably somewhere stealthy.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 24, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My CEO was asking if I could come up with a really good 1-to-1 teleconferencing solution. Like, a camera and laptop at one office to the same thing at another office.

We have Skype for Business, Bluejeans, GoToMeeting, and WebEx, and they all kind of suck from a quality/latency standpoint.

Isn't there something more like NVidia Gamestream or Steam In-HomeStreaming where it is a very low-latency, high bitrate peer-to-peer connection? Something like those but designed for a webcam.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

Isn't there something more like NVidia Gamestream or Steam In-HomeStreaming where it is a very low-latency, high bitrate peer-to-peer connection? Something like those but designed for a webcam.

You get that those only have very low latency when they only have to travel within a house, right? Once you're going out on the internet with Gamestream, you'll start to have latency issues.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just a personal gripe, but I think 12am or midnight should never be a valid user input for anything important because of the potential for misunderstanding. Use 11:59 PM or 12:01 AM.

Dell warranties expire at 12:59 am so if you have a problem with them on the day the warranty expires, oops too late.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Simple solution is to build a site to site vpn connection with qos enabled on both sides, but when that traffic is out on the internet you're at the mercy of the providers as far as latency goes.

Expensive solution is to purchase a private Ethernet link between your sites and detectable latency should practically disappear.

Either way I doubt it's the software services you're using.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had to implement an MPLS connection to get good video conferencing between two sites. VPN over the internet just sucked.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Chickenwalker posted:

The workspaces may be back but the files contained therein are probably hosed, which is what happened when my old boss forgot he'd turned mirroring off to get more storage and then had a drive fail.

Thousands and thousands of files starting with Badfile :allears:

The team doesn't seem too concerned about it though which is nice.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

We had to implement an MPLS connection to get good video conferencing between two sites. VPN over the internet just sucked.

I mean, I built us a site-to-site VPN from Boston to London, I checked just now and it gets 70ms ping round trip. That'd imply that UDP would only take 35ms to reach. But if you ever go to use say the camera on your phone, you can see that already introduces at least 100ms lag. I guess I'm wondering what I can do with regards to the hardware I'm using, codecs, etc, before going after the network which is going to be the most expensive component to improve upon.

Nintendo Kid posted:

You get that those only have very low latency when they only have to travel within a house, right? Once you're going out on the internet with Gamestream, you'll start to have latency issues.

I Gamestream from a 100 mile distance when I visit my friend, that only gets 20ms lag total, I know that's not exactly a long haul but it's pretty impressive since that's actually what I get in practice after taking everything into account. Probably helps that we're both on the same ISP. Still, the is a whole different thing since video allows for more lag than gaming, but also introduces more lag due to the webcams.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 24, 2015

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

larchesdanrew posted:

I asked the GM in passing about if wifi would ever be a possibility and he said 100% yes and to draft up a complete quote and proposal to present to corporate :stonklol:

Seriously what kind of poo poo-rear end facility do you work at and where

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Zero VGS posted:

My CEO was asking if I could come up with a really good 1-to-1 teleconferencing solution. Like, a camera and laptop at one office to the same thing at another office.

We have Skype for Business, Bluejeans, GoToMeeting, and WebEx, and they all kind of suck from a quality/latency standpoint.

If you're having issues with those services it's not the service's fault. Upgrade your network, nothing else is going to help.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

AP chat: We're an open plan office in downtown SF, old brick building (20+ stories), lots of people on wifi, everyone streaming twitch all the time (:rolleyes:).
We've got Aruba gear and it works great, but you'll need some time to fine-tune it.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Cisco Be6K and SX or EX endpoints. If you put a decent hi - def camera and speaker / microphone then webex can work for one to one.

It all depends on bandwith really. You can do a reasonable call in 1Mb each way.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I just had to share this one, as i'm in a pod at the new job, and never have good poo poo to share anymore.

Overseas NOC wakes me up as i'm oncall. Simple "Server is down, but i can't get to the iLO"
Its an HP blade in a dell shop, so I figure they are just confused or something. But nope, its legit:

(I made the noc wake them up and fix it, and it's already fixed, but I just found this hilarious)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Reading this thread somehow makes we wanna keep learning stuff. U guys inspire me.
During downtime, or times where it just isn't that busy, I prefer to study up on stuff, experiment, but today the head of our department caught me making some java code. He then told me. Do that stuff at home.
Is there a way I can say that I prefer to keep studying on stuff during down time? Tactfully? without killing my career? Or do I just keep my head down and keep studying at home?

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 24, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hurrah! Today's our turn to get crypto'd.
At least we have decent backups.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
As everyone on #BOFH may have noticed we're being DDoS'ed. It's periodic but still happening. :(

At least the users aren't mad at me. I took the time to write an extensive explanation outlining what is happening, how it works, what's affected, what we're doing, how long it is expected to last, and other useful bits of information in a mail to the IT-teachers and the headmasters. All of them have informed their staff and so far we're getting nothing but praise for keeping people informed while we try to get our ISP to put in a DDoS defense. At this time I'm practically hanging in the phone waving a check at them but they have their (slow!) procedures to follow so for now we're just riding it out.

At least it's not a permanent DDoS, but rather scattered attacks throughout the day.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Don't you work for a school system? Who the hell DDoS's schools? :psyduck:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Crowley works for a TV station IIRC?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It is entirely possible that I'm mixing up two different posters.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I had a classmate who ddossed his own school. I'm pretty sure students would DDos their own school

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sefal posted:

Reading this thread somehow makes we wanna keep learning stuff. U guys inspire me.
During downtime, or times where it just isn't that busy, I prefer to study up on stuff, experiment, but today the head of our department caught me making some java code. He then told me. Do that stuff at home.
Is there a way I can say that I prefer to keep studying on stuff during down time? Tactfully? without killing my career? Or do I just keep my head down and keep studying at home?

What does your scope of work look like? Are you t1/helpdesk? Junior systems admin?

Make your studying pertain to your job and suddenly it's business development. You may want to learn java right now, but maybe some powershell scripts can automate some tasks for you and your boss. It will be much easier to justify studying powershell on the clock in that case.

Right now I'm getting away with learning Kali Linux on a personal laptop at work (on a secluded private sandbox network I built) because network security is within my job scope. I can make the case that studying pen testing makes me better at my job.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Crowley posted:

As everyone on #BOFH may have noticed we're being DDoS'ed. It's periodic but still happening. :(

At least the users aren't mad at me. I took the time to write an extensive explanation outlining what is happening, how it works, what's affected, what we're doing, how long it is expected to last, and other useful bits of information in a mail to the IT-teachers and the headmasters. All of them have informed their staff and so far we're getting nothing but praise for keeping people informed while we try to get our ISP to put in a DDoS defense. At this time I'm practically hanging in the phone waving a check at them but they have their (slow!) procedures to follow so for now we're just riding it out.

At least it's not a permanent DDoS, but rather scattered attacks throughout the day.

Talk to Akamai/Neustar, be ready to spend $25K for emergency onboarding but they will filter that poo poo no problem.

Can you see what the type of attack is? UDP reflection is the most common recently. Maybe you cao do something with that. If the attack is only to one IP just tell the ISP to blackhole it (you might have to gently caress with BGP routes for this).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What does your scope of work look like? Are you t1/helpdesk? Junior systems admin?

Make your studying pertain to your job and suddenly it's business development. You may want to learn java right now, but maybe some powershell scripts can automate some tasks for you and your boss. It will be much easier to justify studying powershell on the clock in that case.

Right now I'm getting away with learning Kali Linux on a personal laptop at work (on a secluded private sandbox network I built) because network security is within my job scope. I can make the case that studying pen testing makes me better at my job.

I'd say T1 helpdesk. I've been hired to do T1. I answer calls from users and solve tier 1 tickets and a few tier 2 tickets. but I also build, manage and migrate servers, I write powershell scripts, I started studying powershell at work using the "powershell in a month of lunches" book. Didn't hear anything about it. in fact my coworkers had emailed me some useful pdf's on powershell. If they ever bitched about powershell, I could make a good case, but I don't do anything with java at work. Maybe I could get away with studying for the 70-410 mcsa exam that's coming up soon. Currently I'm trying to grasp how dhcp works and i''m going to try and migrate it to windows 2012. The reason that I truly want to know how it works, is so I can troubleshoot and fix it fast incase it stops working for whatever reason or if I gently caress the migration up.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Haquer posted:

Crowley works for a TV station IIRC?

Used to work in TV, yes. I :yotj: last year for a bigger job at a municipality. It's a bit further away from home, but the job is nice, the salary is better, pension is better, the hours are better, and my coworkers are simply awesome.

Who'd DDoS a school? hosed if I know. Our ISP tells us a number of municipalities are being hit so it's not just us. It's not consistent though, and hitting ramdonly 4-5 times per day for 2-12 minutes per time.

deimos posted:

Talk to Akamai/Neustar, be ready to spend $25K for emergency onboarding but they will filter that poo poo no problem.

Can you see what the type of attack is? UDP reflection is the most common recently. Maybe you cao do something with that. If the attack is only to one IP just tell the ISP to blackhole it (you might have to gently caress with BGP routes for this).
Our ISP in on the case. I just opened a ticket saying something like "this line is unstable. WTF guys?" and they took it from there. My only problem right now is being allowed to give them some money for their DDoS guard. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
"My computer is really slow and Premiere crashes when I try to open it. "

Well let's see wh-... 85% of your C:\ drive is taken up by folders on your desktop. Your media cache folder has 160k items in it and is using up another 18% of your drive.

I think I found your problem.

• Locked thread