Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

react might be the best UI kit i've ever used, including non html things.

uncurable mlady posted:

react is really nice

srsly.

what do yall use with react? right now im using fbemitter and the container component pattern and its very nice but i think im starting to see why flux would be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ruby off rails

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Bloody posted:

idgi are we talking displacement or distrance traveled

Total travel distance. Displacement is obviously 0.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

darthbob88 posted:

Total travel distance. Displacement is obviously 0.

is it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

total travel distance i deffo do not know the answer to and my interview answer would be "i dunno lol"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah the displacement is obviously not 0 but as always with these kinds of problems, the actual problem is trying to parse the english

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my answer would be *big sigh* "idk. who cares? google for an algorithm i guess"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you cant use an algorithm to solve it because we don't know the actual speed of the bee, we just know that it's greater than the speed of sound. so it's only possible to solve if it's a trick question.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well yeah its obviously a trick question with some sort of dumb answer so let's just go with 0

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it says the bee starts on the train, but it doesn't say WHERE on the train or if hes inside the train. if hes inside how does he get out? is a window open? how does a bee ask someone to open a door or a window? i don't think he weighs enough to pull the emergency brake thing but maybe he could construct a lever somehow. what could a bee use to make a lever and how much force does the emergency brake require? but if he uses the emergency brake then the train isn't moving anymore and the trains will not meet in the middle so clearly the answer is 0 cause the bee has to stop the train to get out and at that point the trains will never meet.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also do you have to factor in movement of the train after it is slammed into by the other train or are there similar bees with similar levers on the other train?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh maybe the bee chases someone and they pull the brake and open the door to get away from the bee.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you're overcomplicating it shaggar you're supposed to simplify it to some arbitrary point

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

traveling at supersonic speed would kill the bee. the distance is negligible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if we knew the type of bee we could probably find its average flight speed

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

also do you have to factor in movement of the train after it is slammed into by the other train or are there similar bees with similar levers on the other train?

i think it's a tunnel with two tracks, so no collision

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
scientists can't explain how bees can fly, QED

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the q says theyll meet in the middle tho and it wants to know how far the bee goes before they do meet in the middle

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The bee will be flying for one hour (the amount of time it takes the trains to crash) so assuming the bee can turn around instantly it'll travel (the bee's speed)*1 hour total distance, or alternatively 100 miles displacement. Since we don't know the bee's speed we can't give a precise answer for the total distance.

The real question is, can a bee fly at supersonic speeds at all? Even if the bee is Goku I think the way that the aerodynamics might make supersonic flight impossible.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
geez this bee poo poo sure is a dumb programming interview question

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VikingofRock posted:

The bee will be flying for one hour (the amount of time it takes the trains to crash) so assuming the bee can turn around instantly it'll travel (the bee's speed)*1 hour total distance, or alternatively 100 miles displacement. Since we don't know the bee's speed we can't give a precise answer for the total distance.

yeah i think the 'trick' that space whale is referring to is that initially you start thinking about subdividing the distance over and over when in reality it's just 1 hour * speed. we can assume by "supersonic" they meant "speed of sound" so the distance traveled is one parsec

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
heres a better programming question:
You are the designer of a train and have been asked by a train operator to add a bee-pressable door button to your current production train line. How will your sales team oversell the bee-button and what should you design into your train to prepare for the most likely feature changes/requests that will occur over the work order?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Some acceptable answers tho there is obviously no correct answer:
The sales team will tell them there will also be a separate, bee specific door that is opened by the button.
The client will expect the button to also be pressable by wasps even though its not in the requirements.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Symbolic Butt posted:

geez this bee poo poo sure is a dumb programming interview question

when can you start

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

heres a better programming question:
You are the designer of a train and have been asked by a train operator to add a bee-pressable door button to your current production train line. How will your sales team oversell the bee-button and what should you design into your train to prepare for the most likely feature changes/requests that will occur over the work order?

lmao.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

traveling at supersonic speed would kill the bee. the distance is negligible

who said the bee was alive at the start

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
assume a perfectly spherical, undead, super sonic bee...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

assume a perfectly spherical, undead, super sonic bee...

but enough about my fursona

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah i think the 'trick' that space whale is referring to is that initially you start thinking about subdividing the distance over and over when in reality it's just 1 hour * speed. we can assume by "supersonic" they meant "speed of sound" so the distance traveled is one parsec

you need a frame of reference. Given the bee starts on train1 and ends on train1 (we can assume given train2 meets train1 head on), it will have travelled 0m in total and would end in the same position by not flying at all

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Soricidus posted:

but enough about my fursona

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
given the size of the universe, the distance the bee moves is effectively 0

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

also the bee doesn't exist because statistically the universe is 100% hydrogen

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
also none of this matters since on an astronomical timeline we wont even

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ding ding diiiiiiiing

Interviewer admitted he only tortured me with it because he interviewed me alone and not with someone else to stop him.

He then later said he loved meeting me and thought I was great but ~"NOT QUITE WHAT THEY WANTED~"

Welp. gently caress bees btw.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Also I forgot to say they said the bee was supersonic and going 1000 mph for some reason and my tired brain only said supersonic bee.

Anyway lol.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
sorry, we're looking for someone who already knows the answer to this stupid loving puzzle

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

Some acceptable answers tho there is obviously no correct answer:
The sales team will tell them there will also be a separate, bee specific door that is opened by the button.
The client will expect the button to also be pressable by wasps even though its not in the requirements.

i didn't know we opened a Maine office

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

fleshweasel posted:

sorry, we're looking for someone who already knows the answer to this stupid loving puzzle

Riddles in the dark, silly con valley style.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

fleshweasel posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
if you're there for a programming job and the interviewer starts talking about trains and tunnels and supersonic bees, that's not a test, that's a cry for help

• Locked thread