Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KakerMix posted:

I want to remind everyone that Frontier didn't have a route planner in the original design of Elite Dangerous. It wasn't there and people defended this.
300 billion stars and no route planning. This is, to me, the crowning :frontear:
I'm not sure why you think this, route planning is part of the galaxy map design discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

KakerMix posted:

I want to remind everyone that Frontier didn't have a route planner in the original design of Elite Dangerous. It wasn't there and people defended this.
300 billion stars and no route planning. This is, to me, the crowning :frontear:

Still salty about the fact that you have to manually re-target after every jump

Forever salty

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Still salty about the fact that you have to manually re-target after every jump

Forever salty

since when? I set my final destination and each jump is automated until i get to the system i am after

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There's even a hotkey to target the next system on the route if you've target something in the current system

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So, I am unable to find a good breakdown of the features coming in Horizons. Everywhere I look there's some discussion that breaks down into insane bickering and I am as clueless as I was before.

Can anyone tell me WTF is on the way? Is it in the OP?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's Frontier. Nobody knows what we're getting and nobody knows what it'll look like when it arrives, but going by previous experience it'll minimum viable implementation.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I have a brief bit about it in the OP, but there aren't really any solid feature lists out there, that's just kinda how FDev operates. But a summary of what will be in the initial release is: Airless rocks will be landable (with volcanic and ice planets coming later, beyond that it's rather vauge which planets qualify for the initial release), at least one kind of rover, and planet-side bases/starports. People who own elite will get access to the Cobra MK4. Later in the season there will be looting and crafting and more planet types (but not any with life). There might be one or two other things listed officially, but I think they were said on a stream and not posted anywhere.

They are intentionally vague as always.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Noam Chomsky posted:

So, I am unable to find a good breakdown of the features coming in Horizons. Everywhere I look there's some discussion that breaks down into insane bickering and I am as clueless as I was before.

Can anyone tell me WTF is on the way? Is it in the OP?

SUre no problem, I am pretty sure it will involve landing on airless planets and hurrrrhhghhgh RABBLE RABBBLE THEY TOOK OUR JEEEERUMPS

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DatonKallandor posted:

It's Frontier. Nobody knows what we're getting and nobody knows what it'll look like when it arrives, but going by previous experience it'll minimum viable implementation.

Do not, please do not buy Horizons until you see a video or something on the planet stuff. I get the feeling it'll just be landing and driving around with zero extra stuff. Maybe I'll be wrong!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

frank.club posted:

Do not, please do not buy Horizons until you see a video or something on the planet stuff. I get the feeling it'll just be landing and driving around with zero extra stuff. Maybe I'll be wrong!

If I can fly down and crash into the surface, that'll be enough for me.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
So I just bought the game yesterday on Steam. I had previously created a Frontier account to play the Xbox One demo. When I try to validate the game key that Steam provided to my Frontier account, I'm told that the key is not valid. I've been going back and forth with the Frontier support guys trying to figure it out. They say the key is definitely valid, and I've unlinked the Xbox portion of the Frontier account just in case that was causing some kind of issue. Still I'm unable to validate the key and start playing.

Has anyone seen something like this? I just wanna spaceman already. :(

e: fixed it. I didn't have the name fields completed in my Frontier account. Glad I got to figure that out on my own with no help from :frontear:.

Ledhed fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 24, 2015

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
How about don't ever pre order anything? Just wait till it's out

Unless you reeeeeaaaaallly want the extra hardpoint on your Cobra

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh yeah, gently caress pre-ordering. I have more than enough games to last me halfway into next year.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DarthBlingBling posted:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

DarthBlingBling posted:

Unless you reeeeeaaaaallly want the extra hardpoint on your Cobra

The new Cobra has an extra hardpoint?!

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

DatonKallandor posted:

Oh poo poo..

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Literally Kermit posted:

SUre no problem, I am pretty sure it will involve landing on airless planets and hurrrrhhghhgh

Elite: Dangerous 1.5: RABBLE RABBBLE THEY TOOK OUR JEEEERUMPS

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DatonKallandor posted:

They introduced it as 3M2S, IIRC. I'm wondering if they're going to just make it straight up better than the original or if it's going to have some kind of huge downside.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Pretty sure you get the cobra even if you don't preorder, you just need to own the base game first, the only bonus to preordering is the 25% off deal which they have said will go away some time before release (which is really lovely but that's what got me to buy it.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RabidWeasel posted:

They introduced it as 3M2S, IIRC. I'm wondering if they're going to just make it straight up better than the original or if it's going to have some kind of huge downside.

It isn't going to be as fast they've said.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone play on a laptop? I am getting a i7-5700 with gtx970m and hoping it should be adequate for 1080p.

Also, is there a problem if the same account has it installed on 2 different pcs?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Anyone play on a laptop? I am getting a i7-5700 with gtx970m and hoping it should be adequate for 1080p.

Also, is there a problem if the same account has it installed on 2 different pcs?

If GPUboss is reliable, you should be fine. You might not be able to run with all settings on max, but it should be pretty good.

Yes, as long as they're not playing at the same time.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

slidebite posted:

I used to play on my laptop which had a GeForce 660M, and it was more than adequate (although I didn't try 1080p). I've since switched over to a beefier desktop. Logging in from different machines is no problem.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CQC is a lot of fun wow

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes when interdicting, the targeting UI freaks out and stutters between two positions super fast and I end up failing the interdiction shortly thereafter. Is this a bug? Anyone else run into this?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siets posted:

Sometimes when interdicting, the targeting UI freaks out and stutters between two positions super fast and I end up failing the interdiction shortly thereafter. Is this a bug? Anyone else run into this?

All the time, forever!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Great, thanks for the info. Tomorrow will be largely spent setting it up. We'll see how it goes. Oh year, back to finding a non-massive flight stick that can be packed in a suitcase.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously dude that happens to me 7/10 times. Sometimes if I hang with the original vector it'll snap back. That being said it's hard to judge because you can't see what you're doing really.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

frank.club posted:

I will concede all of the above is a possibility. Fortunately for me, if Horizons is indeed lovely, I pre-ordered with Rubles. :)

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Why is there such a lovely range of paint jobs? And why are they so expensive? I want to buy a single paint job, not a pack of 6

FDev :argh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
(Crosspost just in case someone misses the other thread)

Just a head's up: Frontier is giving away codes for free paintjobs over the next few days, so even if it pains you, you should probably log into the forum at least occasionally in that time period.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

So their plan is to get people to sit F5ing their forum all day and then try to be the first sperglord to input a code when it appears.

Genius. Does the paint job come with an actual certificate of virginity, or is that just implied?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 24, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

tooterfish posted:

So their plan is to get people to sit F5ing their forum all day and then try to be the first sperglord to input a code when it appears.

Genius. Does the paint job come with a virgin certificate?
People sitting around F5ing hoping to snag a code will probably lose to someone that did a script to automate the process.
Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of other ways they could've done this that would make players actually want to play their game, but this is :frontear: after all. :v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

frank.club posted:

Seriously dude that happens to me 7/10 times. Sometimes if I hang with the original vector it'll snap back. That being said it's hard to judge because you can't see what you're doing really.

Was really hoping someone would just post to tell me to update my video drivers and all would be well.

Welp. :frontear:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siets posted:

Was really hoping someone would just post to tell me to update my video drivers and all would be well.

Welp. :frontear:

I've been told it's a connection issue

Relevant https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128379

frank.club fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 24, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I glanced over at the forums for a moment and couldn't help myself..

I touched it..

I touched the poo..

I need a cleansing.. help me..

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Before the game entered beta (and especially when the DDF was up and running at full steam) the forums were delightful. Then, they became like every other game forum.

Then, they became worse.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

TheresaJayne posted:

since when? I set my final destination and each jump is automated until i get to the system i am after

You have to still point at the destination and press FSD

Sucks for you if its on the other side of a star

Yes I know it's the most pedantic of complaints but it just makes long trips more tedious than they already are

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I found an interesting explanation for the rank stuff :

I'd like to explain how the rank mechanic works. You are promoted when you complete rank ascension missions. These are unlocked by gaining a stat called faction skill.

This stat is similar to reputation but differs in a few key points. Like reputation, it is increased by doing work for or generally aiding the minor factions aligned with the major faction. However, skill affected more by combat related deeds.

Unlike reputation, faction skill will never decrease, even if you work against a faction.
[...]
The fastest way to gain rank would be to complete combat missions or turn in bounty vouchers at stations controlled by the federation. While non-combat Missions will increase your faction skill to a degree as well, the navies look for combat pilots, so the effect of missions not involving combat is very limited.

I hope this tip will speed your ranking up a bit, please let us know if you'd had any more questions, we are happy to help.

Best Regards,

CMDR Vega
Elite: Dangerous Customer Support

sorry if it's old news, but I never heard it, and it's pretty good to know. Especially as it basically means you should shoot more mans in space, which is always a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Calling bullshit on the bounty vouchers. I turned in tens of millions of credits worth in bounty vouchers and never saw a single rank ascension mission until I tried my hand at grinding charity missions.

• Locked thread