Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Xenomrph posted:

Do the bigger ships have gameplay rules for things like engine wash, blindspots, crazy stuff like that?

They have rules for running over smaller ships, by which I mean anything smaller than they are...don't park your Decimator too close to the Tantive IV or it'll get its rear end run over and destroyed, no save, and while they don't have rules for blind spots per se both sections on a bigger ship have their own firing arcs as well as Epic ship weapons (both inherent and those equipped onto hardpoints) have their own range requirements many of which feature minimum firing distances, so you can conceivably slip into a blind spot where the ship can't bring all its guns to bear on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
New thing I learned last Monday. Never fly an advanced facing an edge closer than 1 range* from the edge. he WILL die next turn.

Using Vassal, it looks like you have be approx. > 1 range (2 speed) from the edge to do a 2 turn to not fall out.
If you're doing a 2 bank and then 1 bank you need to be a little more than 2.5 range (or a little more than 4 speed) from the edge to not fall out.

*There is a tiny about of leeway, but 1 range seems like a good estimate rule.

I flew one ship out of arena in both the games I played last monday. In one the Advanced, and an interceptor in the other. It was sad in the second game because I had shredded pretty badly a fleet of Kihraxz fihgters, then things feel apart.

Neither of us were very experienced I think, we spent much of the last part of the game bumping into each other in clusters.

Edit: And using Excel I made a calculator, and I think the highest PS I can get in a swarm squad is:
Academy Pilot (Targeting Computer), Obsidion Squad (Targeting Computer), Saber Squad, Royal Guard and Maarak Stele (with X/1 and Adv. Targeting computer). Which is 21 PS total.

Without the targeting computer I know I could squeeze in a little more, but I love targeting computers. (I'll probably switch in the new TIE/FOs once I get them, or try to ruin a more tie-heavy larger squad.)

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 24, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Why are you adding PS together?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Why not to use as a way of seeing how much PS your squad has? I suppose a bit of more accurate would be to average it, which would be 4.2 PS / unit.
I was using PS as a deciding factor for which pilots to use, since I know which ships I'm using.
IDK, maybe some of the pilot abilities are better trade-offs for pilot skill.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 24, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Foolster41 posted:

Why not to use as a way of seeing how much PS your squad has? I suppose a bit of more accurate would be to average it, which would be 4.2 PS / unit.
I was using PS as a deciding factor for which pilots to use, since I know which ships I'm using.

PS is a weird thing- it's honestly only really useful insofar as you want to be higher than your opponent- how much higher doesn't matter. There are some circumstances where the low PS is better, too- for example, the Binayre Pirate's PS1 may seem to put it at a disadvantage against the Bandit Squadron's PS2, but, if you're trying to block an opponent, lower PS is better, because it puts you in the spot first, letting your ship take its action while their ship ends up being the one to bump and lose its action. There are also some advantages in having a list be all the same PS, because you can move in whichever order you want, allowing some self-bump options in order to change what you do in your moves.

If I were trying to analyze a list mathematically, I would be looking at how many red dice it puts out, and how many hitpoints/green dice it has. PS matters, but it's very difficult to discern anything from a measurement of averages.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm going to be teaching someone new to X-Wing tomorrow. He has the Episode 7 core set and absolutely nothing else, though he's an experienced Warmahordes player so concepts like "building a squad of ships with upgrades" isn't super alien to him. While I'm going to stick to the tutorial T70 vs 2x TIE/fo to begin with, if he decides he wants something more meaty what's a good selection of ships/upgrades that won't utterly overwhelm him? I have most everything but I don't want to plonk down a million tiny cards and plastic spaceships and have him thinking "Jesus Christ what have I gotten myself into?"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
He's a Warmahordes player, don't worry too hard about it.

That said, I'd suggest grabbing something like a Y-wing/Z-95/X-wing and a classic TIE Fighter/Interceptor, and then running through the little mini-campaign that comes with the FA set at 50 points (instead of the set-only-parts 36 points).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Doing the campaign is a good idea, yeah.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Panzeh posted:

PS is a weird thing- it's honestly only really useful insofar as you want to be higher than your opponent- how much higher doesn't matter. There are some circumstances where the low PS is better, too- for example, the Binayre Pirate's PS1 may seem to put it at a disadvantage against the Bandit Squadron's PS2, but, if you're trying to block an opponent, lower PS is better, because it puts you in the spot first, letting your ship take its action while their ship ends up being the one to bump and lose its action. There are also some advantages in having a list be all the same PS, because you can move in whichever order you want, allowing some self-bump options in order to change what you do in your moves.

If I were trying to analyze a list mathematically, I would be looking at how many red dice it puts out, and how many hitpoints/green dice it has. PS matters, but it's very difficult to discern anything from a measurement of averages.

Well, like I said, I already know which ships I'm using, so I'm pretty much stuck with the red and green dice. I only have these 5 ships right now (and a phantom, but starting at 25 points seems a bit expensive entry.).

I guess what I'm thinking is, I'm not really into blocking strategy, and I'd like to have as many of my units shoot first if possible, maybe taking something out before it can act, and since I don't know what the enemy will have higher PS = more likely to beat their PS.

With that in mind, maybe it's better to focus on bumping one (or two) up to as high as PS as possible and not worry about the rest being lower, rather than trying to have a higher average PS.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Foolster41 posted:

Well, like I said, I already know which ships I'm using, so I'm pretty much stuck with red and green dice. I only have these 5 ships right now (and a phantom, but starting at 25 points seems a bit expensive entry.).

I guess what I'm thinking is, I'm not really into blocking strategy, and I'd like to have as many of my units shoot first if possible, maybe taking something out before it can act, and since I don't know what the enemy will have higher PS = more likely to beat their PS.

With that in mind, maybe it's better to focus on bumping one (or two) up to as high as PS as possible and not worry about the rest being lower, rather than trying to have a higher average PS.

The more things a ship can do after(or in the case of BB-8 before) your normal maneuver, the better a higher PS becomes. You always get the shooting order advantage, but moving last most worth paying for if you can use having just seen the enemies moe to your advantage. The T-70 X-wing with BB-8, for example, gains a lot from being at a high PS, whereas the normal X-wing with a plain R2 does not gain much.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Although, the only reason the 'Critical Upgrades in packs you don't want' model is working is because X-Wing is still a high point in a sea of mediocrity and price gouging. It's easy to portray yourself as good when you can point vaguely at your nearest GW or Privateer Press product and say 'Hey, at least we're not them.' Basically, yes, here we all are, buying plastic spaceships, but they could build a lot of goodwill with a tiny loss relatively by being prepared to do 'Expansion decks' in the clamshells they use for Netrunner Data Packs these days.

The point that does confuse me is the whole 'buy ships to get cards' model surely only works for those playing tournaments, and non-local ones at that who will actually enforce the rule, which proportionately must cull a huge number of players. As long as it's printed in Full so you get the rules viewable, nobody here minds you turning up with an X-Wing Squadron Builder print out as your list, as long as you have the minis and the bases so people can look at your ships on the table and know what is what.

E: That said, I'm still surprised that nobody in miniatures gaming in 2015 has caught onto the idea that even bloody Disney has, where you supply physical miniatures in boxes, but all of the rules/upgrades/etc. are supplied as digital media through an App. Both turn up, slap your Wangs down, all rules are recorded, updated and wins/losses are tracked through the application. It's so obviously easy and good for customer entanglement that my mind boggles nobody has done it yet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Shockeh posted:

Although, the only reason the 'Critical Upgrades in packs you don't want' model is working is because X-Wing is still a high point in a sea of mediocrity and price gouging. It's easy to portray yourself as good when you can point vaguely at your nearest GW or Privateer Press product and say 'Hey, at least we're not them.' Basically, yes, here we all are, buying plastic spaceships, but they could build a lot of goodwill with a tiny loss relatively by being prepared to do 'Expansion decks' in the clamshells they use for Netrunner Data Packs these days.

The point that does confuse me is the whole 'buy ships to get cards' model surely only works for those playing tournaments, and non-local ones at that who will actually enforce the rule, which proportionately must cull a huge number of players. As long as it's printed in Full so you get the rules viewable, nobody here minds you turning up with an X-Wing Squadron Builder print out as your list, as long as you have the minis and the bases so people can look at your ships on the table and know what is what.

Well I'd say that the latter point is what makes the matter of "critical upgrades in packs you don't want" a much less onerous one than it might otherwise be. FFG insists on actual cards for official play which, okay, is fair, but they don't seem to give a poo poo about things like fanmade squad builder apps or the X-Wing wiki having full pictures of every pilot and upgrade card ready to be printed and sleeved as proxies, and so for the casual play and tournaments that don't give a poo poo, well, is it really a problem then? Does it really need to be solved if by and large the community seems cool with saying "yeah sure, go ahead and proxy C3PO" instead of some Games Workshopian "no you MUST SPEND $100 ON THE TANTIVE IV OR I REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE YOUR UPGRADE AS VALID"?

Like on the one hand, I can sort of see someone's irritation at the TIE Advanced/x1 title and Advanced Targeting Computer being exclusive to the Imperial Raider...but on the other hand, if you aren't going to a tournament that requires official kit only then the actual price of those upgrades is "a sheet of printer paper and maybe some card sleeves."

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Do the bigger ships have gameplay rules for things like engine wash, blindspots, crazy stuff like that?

A lot of huge ship weapons have minimum ranges, such as Single Turbolasers and Ion Cannon Battery. They also have three separate firing arcs, so it's pretty likely that a ship finds itself in a huge ship's blindspot.

Engine wash isn't in the rules.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Shockeh posted:

E: That said, I'm still surprised that nobody in miniatures gaming in 2015 has caught onto the idea that even bloody Disney has, where you supply physical miniatures in boxes, but all of the rules/upgrades/etc. are supplied as digital media through an App. Both turn up, slap your Wangs down, all rules are recorded, updated and wins/losses are tracked through the application. It's so obviously easy and good for customer entanglement that my mind boggles nobody has done it yet.

What happens if your phone dies during the match and you forget what upgrades you have?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Fantasy Flight will never print card packs of the upgrades and pilots that come with the huge ships, which is a shame, because it means I will never own those upgrades or pilots. I like the models of the huge ships, but I cannot justify paying that much for something that looks cool, but I never play. It seems like FF would maybe wait a year or so after the huge ship is released, then release the upgrades and pilots on their own. That way, they still get the sales of the ships, and people like me can still get the cards. It actually makes more business sense to do that too, because right now Fantasy Flight is getting $0 from me when it comes to those cards where as if they released the stand alone boosters they would be getting $10-$15 from me and people like me.

Of I can continue to proxy or borrow, and Fantasy Flight still gets my $0.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The Gate posted:

What happens if your phone dies during the match and you forget what upgrades you have?

Or you don't even HAVE a smartphone? I mean, I know a lot of people do, but not EVERYONE considers one worthwhile!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Did some rough outlining of SLAM SECTOR this morning. I'm not so good with bubble lettering so that one looks weirder. Squished together the letters from the original scrunt thread version too.
http://imgur.com/a/KDudY

I'm actually liking the OG scrunt version cuz the area between cockpit and main body of 2400 isn't as wide as I thought. Bubbling would be better for the hound's tooth. The arrows of course point to the turret and engine

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Shockeh posted:

thats been done and no one played it

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Gate posted:

Then you move out of your Favela, and concentrate on spending money on clean drinking water, I suppose?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Shockeh posted:

It's not quite as practical as one might think. Warmahordes has something that can theoretically do that but it ends up being clunkier than just having the cards and marking damage with a marker.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

look at this dead retarded bullshit http://golemarcana.com/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, the main reason tablet boardgaming hasn't taken off really is the mix of both the small screen size (having to pass it back and forth) and the physical feel of objects one can use to interact with the game. I wouldn't care if someone just had an app and they could roll all the dice for me if I trusted them. Hell, half the time I playtest a new build we just use empty bases with notes stickied on them. But, I know I'm in the tiny minority since people really like handling the goods.

E: And yeah I forgot about Golem Arcana. It's dead. Some new store asked me if they should start stocking it cuz I know about board games and "phone/app culture" (whatever that means.) I told them no cuz, as much as we want, there really is a limit to how much electronic and physical components people want to mix. I think portable gaming like pokemon is the limit to that, but people seem to want a different experience for board gaming.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 24, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Foolster41 posted:

If you want to do an aggregate of your squad's PS then the minimum PS among everyone except cheap swarms or blockers is the important part.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

enigmahfc posted:

Fantasy Flight will never print card packs of the upgrades and pilots that come with the huge ships, which is a shame, because it means I will never own those upgrades or pilots. I like the models of the huge ships, but I cannot justify paying that much for something that looks cool, but I never play. It seems like FF would maybe wait a year or so after the huge ship is released, then release the upgrades and pilots on their own. That way, they still get the sales of the ships, and people like me can still get the cards. It actually makes more business sense to do that too, because right now Fantasy Flight is getting $0 from me when it comes to those cards where as if they released the stand alone boosters they would be getting $10-$15 from me and people like me.

Of I can continue to proxy or borrow, and Fantasy Flight still gets my $0.

Of course if they did that it would mean that every huge ship they released would have a shelf life of one year if that before nobody would buy it ever again. And I'm willing to bet that the knowledge that if you just hang on and wait that you can buy the cards and such for a fraction of the price would cause overall sales of huge ships to trend downwards during that one year grace period.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Shockeh posted:

Then you move out of your Favela, and concentrate on spending money on clean drinking water, I suppose?

What does this even have to do with anything? Like, seriously? Phones don't have infinite battery life = you live in a third world slum?

Regardless, for the other reasons people have mentioned, it's not really a good plan to have digital only "cards". It would be cool if there was an official Squad Builder app with all the info, especially one that could tie together the sets you actually own, but there's third party apps for that already. List sharing via app would be neat as well.

Otherwise it's much easier to glance across the table and see what your opponent has laid out beside each ship, instead of scrolling through an app or a printed sheet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2T_zy_Hdo

Too bad that thing wasn't successful (who could have guessed?!)
That would be an elegant way to manage movement templates (especially between obstacles) and add precision.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

The Gate posted:

What does this even have to do with anything? Like, seriously? Phones don't have infinite battery life = you live in a third world slum?

I thought he was just trying to be melodramatic in a funny way with a twist on the 'first world problems' schtick. Not mock you.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2T_zy_Hdo

Too bad that thing wasn't successful (who could have guessed?!)
That would be an elegant way to manage movement templates (especially between obstacles) and add precision.

It really would be a ton of fun to set your ships down on your surface and have it track your movements. It'd be particularly cool to put the order-wheels face down, and have them read automatically so that it could place the movement template and so forth for you, automatically.

I wonder how the 'no measuring until it's time to shoot' thing would work with that, though.

Obviously, it would be pretty fun to see laser/ion/torpedos fly out from your ship with movie-sound effects playing from it.

Honestly, I think they gave up on it because of kinect. Kinect can *sort* of do similar things, but more of them, and it has the big-brother element (and fairly cheap), so I think they just assumed it would work better.

But man. If those were still a thing, I'd be saving for one. And I guess a house to put it in. It really had the potential to be the ultimate man cave/game den accessory.

Anyone old enough to remember table-top arcade games? I remember that was one of the coolest things at a bar (especially as a kid, when bars just meant a shirley temple, loud noises, and adults talking for hours). I mean. poo poo, you could even have had a mode that was vaguely skylanderish, where you plonked down one of your FFG fighters, and then played a game like Space War with your star wars ships and their equipment cards. It would be a sweet alternate use.

I hope it will come around again in 8 years when that tech is cheaper. I'd rather have a giant touch-computer table than some 4k 3d tv that has a camera on it that can watch and listen to me :/

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Kai Tave posted:

Of course if they did that it would mean that every huge ship they released would have a shelf life of one year if that before nobody would buy it ever again. And I'm willing to bet that the knowledge that if you just hang on and wait that you can buy the cards and such for a fraction of the price would cause overall sales of huge ships to trend downwards during that one year grace period.

Do the huge ships really have that large of a sales foot print past their initial release anyway? It feels like there is a big moment of sales, then practically nothing after that, which is why I said one year. I know plenty of people who bought the huge ships, knowing full well they would seldom/never be played just because they wanted the cool looking models. That, and I feel there is enough people in the hobby who just jump on everything the second it releases anyway because they are completists. I could sort of compare it to how individual issues of comics come out on a weekly basis, but collections and trades of those issues come out later. Those trades do not kill the sales of individual issues. Not the best comparison, but still.

Or you may be right and I'm wrong; I;m just trying to find a way to give Fantasy Flight my money and support for the stuff I want without buying a bunch of stuff I find useless, and without having to resort to 3rd party sellers.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Having used War Room on android I will never ever use an app based game. Glad FFG is sticking with the current model.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
X-Wing app, it's the full game with online and LAN play, and you buy ships exactly liek you do in real life, but with stats and a lot of poo poo automated

It'll never happen but :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I AM THE MOON posted:

No need for ableist slurs...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dre2Dee2 posted:

X-Wing app, it's the full game with online and LAN play, and you buy ships exactly liek you do in real life, but with stats and a lot of poo poo automated

It'll never happen but :allears:

No thanks, I won't be able to paint the ships.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Looks what came in the mail!

BattleMaster posted:

If you want to do an aggregate of your squad's PS then the minimum PS among everyone except cheap swarms or blockers is the important part.

That's a good idea.

I saw Golem Arcana displayed at a con I went to, and it looked neat but I wasn't interested in buying into another miniatures game. I'd actually thought using an app with a miniatures game would be neat for a while (seeing how the opposite of computer games enhanced by miniatures was taking off with Skylanders and Infinity), though had no idea how to actually do that.

I'm actually toying with designing a game (not really miniatures, since it's intended to be self-contained, at least for now) with some sort of app thing, because I can't think of any other way of doing it, since I want to have a secret movement system with an AI that responds to player's moves. So no crazy Questron pen thing, so more like the

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

I AM THE MOON posted:

Cut that poo poo out, no need to use "retarded". We might be goons, but slurs like that are below even us. Let's keep it filthy and not trashy, alright?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

lol

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cobbsprite posted:

Cut that poo poo out, no need to use "retarded". We might be goons, but slurs like that are below even us. Let's keep it filthy and not trashy, alright?

jivjov posted:

No need for ableist slurs...

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Cobbsprite posted:

Really? You're retarded.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The trajectory of this thread has been retarded by this derail.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I thought he was just trying to be melodramatic in a funny way with a twist on the 'first world problems' schtick. Not mock you.

It really would be a ton of fun to set your ships down on your surface and have it track your movements. It'd be particularly cool to put the order-wheels face down, and have them read automatically so that it could place the movement template and so forth for you, automatically.

I wonder how the 'no measuring until it's time to shoot' thing would work with that, though.

Obviously, it would be pretty fun to see laser/ion/torpedos fly out from your ship with movie-sound effects playing from it.

Honestly, I think they gave up on it because of kinect. Kinect can *sort* of do similar things, but more of them, and it has the big-brother element (and fairly cheap), so I think they just assumed it would work better.

But man. If those were still a thing, I'd be saving for one. And I guess a house to put it in. It really had the potential to be the ultimate man cave/game den accessory.

Anyone old enough to remember table-top arcade games? I remember that was one of the coolest things at a bar (especially as a kid, when bars just meant a shirley temple, loud noises, and adults talking for hours). I mean. poo poo, you could even have had a mode that was vaguely skylanderish, where you plonked down one of your FFG fighters, and then played a game like Space War with your star wars ships and their equipment cards. It would be a sweet alternate use.

I hope it will come around again in 8 years when that tech is cheaper. I'd rather have a giant touch-computer table than some 4k 3d tv that has a camera on it that can watch and listen to me :/

VASSAL has an incredible X wing module and you can get through games FAST with it- but that being said, having the physical miniatures there is a big burden, and you lose most of the physical advantages of the templates if it's all on a board- and if you're doing it all on the screen.. you might as well play VASSAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well the idea behind those tables was that they'd be full size (>3'x3') and detect the presence of the ships (something they were known to be able to do--there were already demo games where you put a shape or a card down on the table and it would respond with different effects or tools). So it would be like a tabletop game of Xwing, except the table top and attacks could be animated, and the measurements would always be 'perfect' because after the starting position, you'd just place the ship whereever it had to go as measured perfectly by the computer.

That way you get the fun of the models but with less of the hassle avoiding jostling them while moving or aiming or whatever.

VASSAL is kind of cool, but I like games like this specifically for their components and social face-to-face part.

• Locked thread