Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Looks about my size.

That looks way faster than an SV though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

So I got a nice surprise this morning. Sometime in the past 48 hours some dickless piece of poo poo hosed with my bike and shoved a screwdriver into the keyhole, leaving the tip lodged in there. So now it's stuck with the handlebars locked and parked on the street. I'm making a claim with the insurance, but apparently there's a $500 deductible for 'vandalism' as they call it, so I'm probably gonna have to eat that.

Honestly, what motivates people to try to steal these? In my neighborhood there are a ton of larger, more desirable, just-as-easy-to-steal bikes, so I wouldn't think a CBR250 would command much attention.

At least the bikes still there and street cleaning isn't until Friday though.

chupacabron fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 20, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Mike-o posted:

Honestly, what motivates people to try to steal these?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

El Mike-o posted:

So I got a nice surprise this morning. Sometime in the past 48 hours some dickless piece of poo poo hosed with my bike and shoved a screwdriver into the keyhole, leaving the tip lodged in there. So now it's stuck with the handlebars locked and parked on the street. I'm making a claim with the insurance, but apparently there's a $500 deductible for 'vandalism' as they call it, so I'm probably gonna have to eat that.

Honestly, what motivates people to try to steal these? In my neighborhood there are a ton of larger, more desirable, just-as-easy-to-steal bikes, so I wouldn't think a CBR250 would command much attention.

At least the bikes still there and street cleaning isn't until Friday though.

The motivation to steal cheap bikes is just that. They're cheap and the police rarely give a poo poo about tracking them down. Not so much when you jack a $25,000 ducati.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Never lock the handlebars. They'll just destroy more of your bike trying to steal it.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Z3n posted:

Never lock the handlebars. They'll just destroy more of your bike trying to steal it.

They'll destroy it either way Z3n. Sometimes its the one thing that keeps them from easily rolling it off.

Also get disc locks and a cover. All my methhead problems suddenly disappeared when I started covering my bike.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Z3n posted:

What? Lol no. The most common thief is the low effort thief, because humans are lazy. Locking your handlebars stops many, many more people from stealing your bike than that one guy that will break everything anyway to get it. He doesn't give a gently caress and will take it whether you lock it or not.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Also my insurance policy (and every one I've ever had) specifically doesn't cover me if the bike isn't secured* when parked, so there's that too

* They can be sneaky bastards about that - there was a big problem a few years back when one of the big underwriters (Lloyd's, I think) quietly changed their definition of "secured" from "Fitted and declared security measures must be used" to "You must have a security device from this very small list". They got called out on it and changed it back but they've also tried weaseling out of theft claims when people have had their keys stolen from their house or pocket.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R8GtrKtrZ4&t=90s

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd rather my bike be gone and there be a full insurance payout for me than come back to a hosed up bike with a screwdriver broken off in the lock. Especially considering that typically when they break the steering lock, they just thrash on it until it destroys the locking pin and the frame.

It's not actually about stopping the theft, they're going to get it if they want it even a little bit. It's about minimizing the damage they do to the bike so you either get the bike stolen and can go buy a new one or you don't walk out to a non-functional bike that you're going to pay a deductible on any repairs/towing/etc on.

No insurance company in the US I've heard of has ever tried to weasel out of a claim by saying it wasn't secured. I'm sure there's some examples, but that's why I pay a bit more for State Farm, they've been great through the handful of claims I've had over the years.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 21, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not everyone runs around with full coverage, you know.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

I'd rather my bike be gone and there be a full insurance payout for me than come back to a hosed up bike with a screwdriver broken off in the lock. Especially considering that typically when they break the steering lock, they just thrash on it until it destroys the locking pin and the frame.

It's not actually about stopping the theft, they're going to get it if they want it even a little bit. It's about minimizing the damage they do to the bike so you either get the bike stolen and can go buy a new one or you don't walk out to a non-functional bike that you're going to pay a deductible on any repairs/towing/etc on.

No insurance company in the US I've heard of has ever tried to weasel out of a claim by saying it wasn't secured. I'm sure there's some examples, but that's why I pay a bit more for State Farm, they've been great through the handful of claims I've had over the years.

Ooh, how quaint. Look at the simple American, with his "honest business practices" and "culture of litigation that keeps it honest". We wouldn't want to be like him, would we. No, give us getting mugged by an unassailable financial sector and left for dead while opportunistic scavengers go through our pockets for what little change is left any day. I'll bet you seal deals with a handshake too. You make me sick.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Geirskogul posted:

Not everyone runs around with full coverage, you know.

Everyone should. If you can't afford comp with a low deductible, you can't afford to keep a bike outside.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yeah pretty much if you live in an area where you are considering bike cover and locks you should have full coverage. At best you can use good chain and anchor but even then it's like a few minutes with an angle grinder and a van to get your bike. If you're not chained to something (disc lock/cover only) you might as well just start planning what you'll spend the insurance check on after it's stolen. Either pay up for comp or shell out for a garage. If your bike is so crappy you think no one wants to take it then insurance shouldn't be all that much.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Infinotize posted:

Yeah pretty much if you live in an area where you are considering bike cover and locks you should have full coverage. At best you can use good chain and anchor but even then it's like a few minutes with an angle grinder and a van to get your bike. If you're not chained to something (disc lock/cover only) you might as well just start planning what you'll spend the insurance check on after it's stolen. Either pay up for comp or shell out for a garage. If your bike is so crappy you think no one wants to take it then insurance shouldn't be all that much.

Shelling out for a garage would probably be upwards of 30 grand though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They also come with houses that are worth living in.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
That's pretty drat debatable around here :v:

I just want a garage :smith:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Things that suck about my new house: The garage is too small to fit a car in to. Seriously. It's wide enough if you weigh like 80lbs and you can slip out once inside, but it's just not long enough.

Things that are awesome about my new house: It has a motorcycle garage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

clutchpuck posted:

Everyone should. If you can't afford comp with a low deductible, you can't afford to keep a bike outside.

Holy poo poo gently caress you. Even basic comp, per six months, is worth more than my bike is worth in my area. I was merely arguing against the inconvenience of having a bike completely missing, which is much more likely in my case, than one that could be repaired.

If you have poo poo-tier motorcycles, then insurance like that is literally not worth it. Which means i lock the forks. Is that so hard to understand?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Geirskogul posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress you. Even basic comp, per six months, is worth more than my bike is worth in my area. I was merely arguing against the inconvenience of having a bike completely missing, which is much more likely in my case, than one that could be repaired.

If you have poo poo-tier motorcycles, then insurance like that is literally not worth it. Which means i lock the forks. Is that so hard to understand?

Full coverage for my 2005 FZ6 is about 1.2-1.4k/yr. I can't really remember.

I bought the bike for 3 grand. I'm about 4k into it after taxes/replacing consumables.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Marxalot posted:

Full coverage for my 2005 FZ6 is about 1.2-1.4k/yr.

:gonk:

Where the hell do you live, Tikrit?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

:gonk:

Where the hell do you live, Tikrit?

With those prices? I'm guessing Ontario.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Much, much more of a hell hole than Ontario or Tikrit.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

Much, much more of a hell hole than Ontario or Tikrit.

This man is right. I live just outside of Houston.

No tickets/arrests/felony hit and runs either.

e: For what it's worth, I live in an area where any idiot can go out and make 16-26/hr straight out of highschool if you can pass a drug test/you're not a complete unemployable retard. All of the oil/gas money pumped into this area means that crashing GSXRs and stealing our uncrashed GSXRs is kind of considered a sport around here; So insurance is hilariously expensive.
Also I'm 25 which puts me squarely in the "Most likely to wrap a superduke around a tollbooth while drunk at 3AM on a Saturday" demographic.

e2: My loving DRZ would be about a grand to fully insure with 1k deductables. I got pushed into a curb at 40 and all I did was scratch the rims (barely), scratched the fork guard, and scratched the right handguard. About $100 in damage if you don't count the scratched rim.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 22, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's similar in the area of Phoenix I live in. All of my bikes are worth like $600 max so I'm like whatevs and if they somehow manage to break the fork lock and not actually steal the bike (unlikely) a new cylinder is like $20 so I'm also like :shrug: lock the forks liability and under/uninsured/medical insurance coverage only vroom vroom don't you get it

If I had something that was worth anything, then maybe. But let's list the current fleet:

Royal Enfield (lol somebody steal this please)
1979 CB650
1982 CM250
1980 CM400TII (parts, kinda. I've been cannibalizing this one)
1978 CBX in boxes (I think I have most of it? gently caress carb syncing though this thing has lasted through two moves in boxes and there it shall remain, no title either so lolfuckthat)

The one that is parked on the street is the CB650. It's the redhead bastard child (1979 model year only poo poo, including the frame) of the bastard child line (CB650's), so really :shrug: as I said vroom vroom. And honest, I'm not a Honda guy, they just show up from friends and poo poo. A few BMWs and a Yamaha triple have come and gone over the years but only the bottom of the barrel remains.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 22, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

This is sort of the reason I only keep minimum liability (how much damage can I really do on a DRZ and live to tell about it?) and theft. Still costs me 50/mo to insure an 05 FZ6 and an 05 DRZ400sm, but considering how many (non-bike) thieves I've chased off theft is more of a when than an if.

e: I need to move before either I, or someone else, gets shot. Hopefully somewhere with a garage.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Jesus loving Christ, my 16k+ bike has a $500 deductible and full coverage is <$1k a year. I cannot fathom paying more than $1200 a year for any bike that costs below $20,000.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
When full insurance for my $2k, 10-year-old GS500 is $1k USD, I can't fathom paying less.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Minkee posted:

They'll destroy it either way Z3n. Sometimes its the one thing that keeps them from easily rolling it off.

Also get disc locks and a cover. All my methhead problems suddenly disappeared when I started covering my bike.

Someone needs to start making Buell Blast covers. I would buy one.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

builds character posted:

Someone needs to start making Buell Blast covers. I would buy one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:thurman:

Yall got some bonkers insurance. $165/year for me, that's including $2500 in medical payments, comprehensive, $3000 in accessory coverage, roadside assistance, and the higher (but not highest) levels of coverage for under/uninsured injury, injury liability, and property damage liability. $500 deductible for damage to my bike in the case of uninsured motorist, and $75 deductible on comprehensive.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 22, 2015

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yall got some bonkers insurance. $165/year for me, that's including $2500 in medical payments, comprehensive, $3000 in accessory coverage, roadside assistance, and the higher (but not highest) levels of coverage for under/uninsured injury, injury liability, and property damage liability. $500 deductible for damage to my bike in the case of uninsured motorist, and $75 deductible on comprehensive.

Holy poo poo; where do you live and who do you go through?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah I pay 400 every 6 months right now for stupid full coverages on the SuperDuke. S1000xr would be about 600 every 4 months. But seriously shop around, comp should be cheap - it's collision that's typically stupid expensive.

Also lol at that amazing rant about Americas culture of litigation making things ok for the poors.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Yeah I pay 400 every 6 months right now for stupid full coverages on the SuperDuke. S1000xr would be about 600 every 4 months. But seriously shop around, comp should be cheap - it's collision that's typically stupid expensive.

Also lol at that amazing rant about Americas culture of litigation making things ok for the poors.

;)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am at $500/year for a pair of 1100+cc bikes and we're reasonably well covered. Having a garage to keep them in helps insurance costs though. Having auto and home owners policies through the same people helps too. Having bikes old men ride doesn't hurt either.

Maybe it's an advantage of not living in a compulsory-insurance state, the folks who would usually claim up their policies just don't have insurance here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

I am at $500/year for a pair of 1100+cc bikes and we're reasonably well covered. Having a garage to keep them in helps insurance costs though. Having auto and home owners policies through the same people helps too. Having bikes old men ride doesn't hurt either.

Maybe it's an advantage of not living in a compulsory-insurance state, the folks who would usually claim up their policies just don't have insurance here.

But no state has mandatory comprehensive/collision, right? So how do folks "claim up" their motorcycle liability policies, since I'm assuming people that would rather not purchase insurance end up with the cheapest legal policy that is liability only?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah this part of the thread makes me pretty happy with my insurance situation. I have basically the same thing, except I don't carry any medical payment coverage, and pay $178 for the year. Massachusetts through Commerce insurance. My bike is a 9 year old Suzuki Katana 750 and my driving record isn't exactly spotless if that helps put any of that into perspective. I have an electric Vectrix scooter, 400cc equivalent, and I have the bare minimum on that thing and its like $68/year or something like that.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Well poo poo, I have Progressive in Massachusetts and it sounds like I should switch. They quoted me like $70-something for state minimum liability on a Buell Blast. Then the lady on the phone discovered that they were somehow not allowed to write it for less than $95/year. I thought she said it was state law? Either way, $95 still sounded cheap at the time and I was in a hurry to get the paperwork together between work and the RMV closing. I should look into that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have State Farm and my premium is $400 for one year with complete coverage for my FZ6-
$500 collision & comprehensive deductible
Liability
Underinsured for vehicle and body

Comes out to around $33 a month.
My agent kicks rear end.

E: I made sure to call her and check on the cost to insure the bikes I was looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah this part of the thread makes me pretty happy with my insurance situation. I have basically the same thing, except I don't carry any medical payment coverage, and pay $178 for the year. Massachusetts through Commerce insurance. My bike is a 9 year old Suzuki Katana 750 and my driving record isn't exactly spotless if that helps put any of that into perspective. I have an electric Vectrix scooter, 400cc equivalent, and I have the bare minimum on that thing and its like $68/year or something like that.

Progressive in Colorado, 20-year-old bike, clean record, couple small discounts.