Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BioEnchanted posted:

With precocious children I liked the kid in iron Man 3. I thought the scene with him and Stark parting was pretty funny. Earlier the kid tries to stop Tony leaving or some such thing, or wants to be his protege, I've forgotten teh context but he claims that they have a 'connection'
Later Tony is about to drive off, the kid tries to stop him by whining and this exchange happens:

Kid: :qq:
Tony :3:

:qq: I'm cold...
:3: I know. Wanna know how?
:qq: *Nods*
:3: Cause we have a ~connection~ :v: *Drives off at top speed*

I just saw this movie recently and that scene was amazing. Also cool that the kid gets Ahmed'd at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Is this really a thing?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One joke made by a solitary poster, time to start worrying about "IS this a thing!?!?!"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rurea posted:

Is this really a thing?

If it's not it should be.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

One joke made by a solitary poster, time to start worrying about "IS this a thing!?!?!"

Heh, welcome to the cutting edge of interweb culture. This is where the trends are hatched in the great goon hivemind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure Ahmed'd should be receiving a big box of free stuff at the end.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's because writers want/need a child character but can't write for them so they just wrote normal dialogue for adults and it sounds precocious spoken by a child.

Timmy was actually a pretty well written and believable child character in JP. Now, the little poo poo in Jurassic World? THAT little mother fucker was poorly written.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It feels cheap to have some divorced-parents backstory in JW seeing as it never comes into play again. Nobody gives a gently caress about you kid or your stupid parents, we came for the dinosaurs.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It feels cheap to have some divorced-parents backstory in JW seeing as it never comes into play again. Nobody gives a gently caress about you kid or your stupid parents, we came for the dinosaurs.

Makes you wish for a crusty old Sam Neill to threaten the kid with a fossilized raptor toe.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I don't even know why the kids were IN the movie tbh. Why wasn't it just Burt Macklin vs Dinosaurs for 2 hours?
I'm being fairly serious too.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Rurea posted:

I don't even know why the kids were IN the movie tbh. Why wasn't it just Burt Macklin vs Dinosaurs for 2 hours?
I'm being fairly serious too.

Unironic answer: Because Spielberg was involved in the production and damnit, Spielberg movies need kids.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

Makes you wish for a crusty old Sam Neill to threaten the kid with a fossilized raptor toe.

Which would have actually been about the size of a nail file, not the enormous prison shank thing he pulled out.

Also, what the gently caress is he doing carrying around a raptor toe to threaten kids with? Is he opening chip packets with it as well? There's maybe three complete skeletons of V. mongoliensis that have ever been found. Most museums would kill for a sample like that to put on display.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A mistake of many a film is the belief that a story about an unusual character has to be filtered through the viewpoint of a milquetoast lead character. Say you're your watching a movie about a dog or a robot or somebody foreign, there'll probably be a bland white guy whom the audience is supposed to relate to. They can't simply make a movie about Pablo Escobar, they have to put in Bread Man from the Hunger Games as the lead role. They can't simply make a movie about Optimus Prime, we need to see Even Stevens stutter for an hour.

I loved the last two Planet of the Apes movies, because no matter how dumb the story got, it was all held up by the incredibly likeable and tragic ape Caesar as the leading man. There was only scene in the two movies where I yelled to the screen "Get back to the loving monkeys ".

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Memento posted:

Also, what the gently caress is he doing carrying around a raptor toe to threaten kids with?

I feel that this question answers itself.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pook Good Mook posted:

Unironic answer: Because Spielberg was involved in the production and damnit, Spielberg movies need kids.

The only exception being the Twilight Zone movie.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Frostwerks posted:

Timmy was actually a pretty well written and believable child character in JP. Now, the little poo poo in Jurassic World? THAT little mother fucker was poorly written.

In the movie he was fine, but the book character is as bad as all of Crichton's characters, i.e. either a 1.1 dimensional villain, a caricature of an environmentalist, or a mouthpiece for the author.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rurea posted:

Clearly writers need to start keeping a handful of kids on retainer to write all their dialog for them.

Works for Axe Cop.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Van Dis posted:

In the movie he was fine, but the book character is as bad as all of Crichton's characters, i.e. either a 1.1 dimensional villain, a caricature of an environmentalist, or a mouthpiece for the author.

Timmy in the movie was kind of half and half and not the best example of what I'm talking about. The daughter from "Remember the Titans" is more on point. I was talking about, like someone else mentioned, kids who act, speak and behave like adults (often more "adult" like than the actual adults). Or they're just oh so incorrigible.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jurassic World has a bunch of inexplicable stuff, like pods to shove raptor faces through a wall like some kind of macabre living hunting trophy. That in and of itself could be cool as poo poo if they gave any good reason for it and the CG didn't look so bad - at times it really was reminiscent of the scene where King Koopa gets de-evolved to a pile of green slime in underrated cinematic tour de force Super Mario Brothers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Those pods were to keep the raptors still while medical checks and stuff were being carried out on them. Glorified cat cages, pretty much.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

A mistake of many a film is the belief that a story about an unusual character has to be filtered through the viewpoint of a milquetoast lead character. Say you're your watching a movie about a dog or a robot or somebody foreign, there'll probably be a bland white guy whom the audience is supposed to relate to. They can't simply make a movie about Pablo Escobar, they have to put in Bread Man from the Hunger Games as the lead role. They can't simply make a movie about Optimus Prime, we need to see Even Stevens stutter for an hour.
Reminds me of Hellboy where they had agent nobody as the POV character in the first movie and then in the sequel had a one line mention that they shipped him to Antarctica.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

poptart_fairy posted:

Those pods were to keep the raptors still while medical checks and stuff were being carried out on them. Glorified cat cages, pretty much.

Stull doesn't excuse the obvious CG in that scene. My biggest gripe with the movie is how they relied waaaaay too much on CG. Scenes where they could have easily used practical effects, like the already mentioned raptor cages or the egg hatching at the very beginning, they instead forced in CG that looks embarrassing compared to the effects in the original movie.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Jurassic World has a bunch of inexplicable stuff, like pods to shove raptor faces through a wall like some kind of macabre living hunting trophy. That in and of itself could be cool as poo poo if they gave any good reason for it and the CG didn't look so bad - at times it really was reminiscent of the scene where King Koopa gets de-evolved to a pile of green slime in underrated cinematic tour de force Super Mario Brothers.

I thought it was pretty clear what they were used for?? They aren't exactly animals you can walk up to and put a leash around.

The CGI was kinda weak though, especially since they actually used practical effects for the Raptor heads in the cages but ended up putting a thick layer of CGI over it anyway so it looks like poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah, I agree. I hate the whole "he's a fill-in for the audience, he asks questions so we can talk to the audience and explain what's happening" bullshit trope. Just... let things happen. Let me use my brain to figure them out. I don't need you constantly asking and answering every question for me.

I did think it was pretty silly that Netflix' show Narcos is really about Pablo Escobar but has to pretend its about some white guy narcotics agent instead. I think the reason though for that is racism, they were afraid "hey look at this half-Spanish show about Escobar" wouldn't sell as well to xenophobic US audiences as "watch this badass DEA agent go kick Escobar's rear end!".

I am seriously glad that they didn't do it all in English at least. All the Spanish-speaking characters seem to have spanish-speaking actors and its very comfortable and natural, and the flipping between English and Spanish is really cool. Like, my brain starts to think in Spanish for awhile after watching lots of those scenes, and then it has to switch back to English thinking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Eh! Frank posted:

My biggest gripe with the movie (JP2:The Lost World) is how they relied waaaaay too much on CG.

That's your biggest gripe with that horrible turd of a film?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm still baffled they didn't feature Carillo's actor more prominently; dude's a stone badass in Narcos.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Eh! Frank posted:

Stull doesn't excuse the obvious CG in that scene. My biggest gripe with the movie is how they relied waaaaay too much on CG. Scenes where they could have easily used practical effects, like the already mentioned raptor cages or the egg hatching at the very beginning, they instead forced in CG that looks embarrassing compared to the effects in the original movie.

Those days are gone man and likely not coming back.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BiggerBoat posted:

That's your biggest gripe with that horrible turd of a film?

I was talking about Jurassic World, not sure why you edited it to say Lost World, but yeah that's my biggest gripe with Jurassic World.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Eh! Frank posted:

I was talking about Jurassic World, not sure why you edited it to say Lost World, but yeah that's my biggest gripe with Jurassic World.

Oh poo poo. My bad. I got confused with Lost World.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I am seriously glad that they didn't do it all in English at least. All the Spanish-speaking characters seem to have spanish-speaking actors and its very comfortable and natural, and the flipping between English and Spanish is really cool. Like, my brain starts to think in Spanish for awhile after watching lots of those scenes, and then it has to switch back to English thinking.
Yeah, it's handled so well that it didn't even occur to me how unusual it is to have that much Spanish in a mainstream American show. I guess if you expect the Netflix crowd to sit through all those subtitles, it might seem necessary to shoehorn in a boring whitebread audience proxy. God he's boring -- and it's totally implausible that he'd be undercover in Bogota with no Spanish at all. I hope we get more bilingual TV though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

spite house posted:

Yeah, it's handled so well that it didn't even occur to me how unusual it is to have that much Spanish in a mainstream American show. I guess if you expect the Netflix crowd to sit through all those subtitles, it might seem necessary to shoehorn in a boring whitebread audience proxy. God he's boring -- and it's totally implausible that he'd be undercover in Bogota with no Spanish at all. I hope we get more bilingual TV though.

Literally the one good thing about Heroes was the way the characters spoke their native languages whenever appropriate.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Zaphod42 posted:

I did think it was pretty silly that Netflix' show Narcos is really about Pablo Escobar but has to pretend its about some white guy narcotics agent instead. I think the reason though for that is racism, they were afraid "hey look at this half-Spanish show about Escobar" wouldn't sell as well to xenophobic US audiences as "watch this badass DEA agent go kick Escobar's rear end!".

Yeah, the entertainment industry is hesitant to about putting non-white people in leading roles because they think it won't sell well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rurea posted:

I thought it was pretty clear what they were used for?? They aren't exactly animals you can walk up to and put a leash around.

....soooo it's supposed to be easier to herd them into some kind of windowless shed and get them to shove their heads through robot gloryholes instead? Because yeah, actually, I'm going to go ahead and say that it would be easier to leash them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ryoshi posted:

Is it weird that the thing that pissed me off most about Jurassic World was that in the beginning they had a crow or a raven or something and it just made regular bird chirping noises? I like crows but they make very distinct noises. They do not go chirp, chirp tweet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Yeah, the entertainment industry is hesitant to about putting non-white people in leading roles because they think it won't sell well.

After Earth being a good example and Will Smith is as white as a black man can get.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

After Earth being a good example and Will Smith is as white as a black man can get.

Yes, that is the reason that movie did poorly

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I know

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"Welcome to After Erf"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Will Smith pronounces Earth normally in Independence Day, you racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Is it weird that the thing that pissed me off most about Jurassic World was that in the beginning they had a crow or a raven or something and it just made regular bird chirping noises? I like crows but they make very distinct noises. They do not go chirp, chirp tweet.

I think it was just a blackbird.