Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But compared to the angle it started at tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Fruit posted:

Because it's even cheaper and slower than the 4 cylinder Mustang. Seriously, WTF Ford?
I am not a fan of the Ecoboost, real world mileage difference is minimal and the Ecoboost still suffers from turbo lag.

I've driven the 4-cylinder turbo ecoboost Mustang for a few days (rental), and while it's not a bad little engine it's just not proper. I feel stupid driving along in that thing doing 30MPG. I've driven the V6 one (2013 model I think it was), and it did feel a lot better engine-wise. Not sure what's up with the turbo lag, I've driven other cars with turbocharged I4's of similar displacement and power (2-2.5L, 300-ish HP) and lag was never as noticeable as with this.

Also, it has terrible OCD car stuff. Among the gimmicky electronic gauges you can choose from, one is intake manifold pressure ("Boost/vacuum"). It has different units for positive and negative pressure. I don't care if it's common use or ancient tradition, it really bugs me.

I'm returning it tomorrow, with the gauge/ambient light set to bright pink, because My Little Ponycar.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Those actually get pretty good mileage, I hear. Not only double digits, but it even starts with a 2 sometimes! :prepop:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Me too!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Don't worry, we are professionals

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

This new Ghostbusters film is going in directions I'm not clear on.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

I have so many questions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

This is hands-down the greatest and best thing I have ever seen involving one of those.

The lovely two-bit after market alloys really make it for me.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

Totally wrong thread.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Great Beer posted:

I have so many questions.

Its a zipcar? :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Well, it's definitely not a ford.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

That was the best option for crossing a river in Oregon Trail.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fart Pipe posted:

:vince:

Holy poo poo.

I Might Be Adam posted:

But seriously, you have died of dysentery.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Definitely a lot of cocks involved.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did that hit that tree?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

PCOS Bill posted:

Did that hit that tree?

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Definitely a lot of cocks involved.

Nah, if you watch closely you can see the brake lights go on near the end, so I'm sure it was fine.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Just Cars & Coffee things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DHWNifwB6E

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Seemed like the rear wheels got traction in between shifts when theres no power, is that why he snap oversteered?

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 23, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Never lift.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cage posted:

Seemed like the rear wheels got traction in between shifts when theres no power, is that why he snap oversteered?

He didn't shift, he lifted sharply with the wheels cranked over so it snapped around.

The three options for not hitting the curb:
1. don't do retarded poo poo
2. stay on throttle as you correct
3. both feet in and hope it slides to a stop in the lane.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My 2nd guess was lift, but I thought the rpm difference sounded like another gear up.

Never lift or shift.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ionn posted:

I've driven the 4-cylinder turbo ecoboost Mustang for a few days (rental), and while it's not a bad little engine it's just not proper. I feel stupid driving along in that thing doing 30MPG. I've driven the V6 one (2013 model I think it was), and it did feel a lot better engine-wise. Not sure what's up with the turbo lag, I've driven other cars with turbocharged I4's of similar displacement and power (2-2.5L, 300-ish HP) and lag was never as noticeable as with this.

Also, it has terrible OCD car stuff. Among the gimmicky electronic gauges you can choose from, one is intake manifold pressure ("Boost/vacuum"). It has different units for positive and negative pressure. I don't care if it's common use or ancient tradition, it really bugs me.

I'm returning it tomorrow, with the gauge/ambient light set to bright pink, because My Little Ponycar.

It doesn't have different units, that gauge is all PSI. I'm not sure why they decided to put inHG on the left.

Let's put it this way, if it ACTUALLY did 30 inHG, that would be 60PSI of vacuum. Good luck with that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sudo Echo posted:

What could possibly go wrong?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

It doesn't have different units, that gauge is all PSI. I'm not sure why they decided to put inHG on the left.

Let's put it this way, if it ACTUALLY did 30 inHG, that would be 60PSI of vacuum. Good luck with that.

You sure about that? I might be wrong, but standard atmosphere is 29.92 inHg, so drawing 30 inches of vacuum at sea level would basically be 100% vacuum - zero air pressure.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Linedance posted:

You sure about that? I might be wrong, but standard atmosphere is 29.92 inHg, so drawing 30 inches of vacuum at sea level would basically be 100% vacuum - zero air pressure.

You're wrong.

Hint: the gauge should measure at 0 when the car is off.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

MikeyTsi posted:

InHg is a common unit for vacuum and 30 on the gauge is effectively zero absolute pressure (going from InHg to psi you need to divide by two.) The gauge may seem odd, but it's using common units both for boost and vacuum.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah both those gauges measure gauge pressure (just in different units), not absolute pressure. So boost is PSI above ambient and vacuum is inHg below. If you just used an absolute pressure gauge you'd have to do mental math to get that info anyway. E: And in fact you'd need a second sensor to measure ambient pressure, so it gets even more complicated with two needles/gauges, unless you just display the difference... which is what that display and every other one like it are doing.

Much like how we don't use temp gauges marked in Kelvin.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MikeyTsi posted:

You're wrong.

I think you've got something backwards. It should read zero when off, but atmospheric pressure is around 14.7psi, if that gauge is displaying -20psi, then ugh, congrats on the negative absolute pressure, go collect your Nobel prize.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
They should just make it read bar anyways. Enough people are likely heard of it that they will kind of get it and the gauge will be just as useful and useless still.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i think it should be measured in cubit-stone.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Caught this sexy prius on the road today:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Caught this sexy prius on the road today:

Pretty certain that's from Aria. I'm sad that I know that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Geirskogul posted:

Pretty certain that's from Aria. I'm sad that I know that.

The really sad thing is I can say with 100% certainty that this guy works the same place I do, because I work at the only place in town that would pay someone this loving stupid enough money to do that to a car. Someone else I work with isn't a moron and bought a GT-R with his too much money. Meanwhile I'm in a lower-caste job and driving a completely rusted out 94 miata.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

You're wrong.

What makes you think the car is off?

20" vacuum seems to me to be a reasonable level of vacuum for an idling car.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

MikeyTsi posted:

My sources say quite the opposite. 30 inHg ≈ 15PSI (and 30PSI ≈ 60inHg)

MikeyTsi posted:

No, when the car is off, that gauge (which is an entirely computerized lcd panel) turns off as well. :downs:

"20 vacuums" is what it says at idle (as in the pic), which sounds pretty reasonable to me (about 0.7 bar).

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

torpedan posted:

They should just make it read bar anyways. Enough people are likely heard of it that they will kind of get it and the gauge will be just as useful and useless still.

It could be set to civilized units (that gauge was then in bars, also made fuel consumption be in L/100km and other nice things), but I kept it in heathen mode to have the cruise control display match the "MPH" signs by the side of the road. That boost gauge is just a gimmick anyway, mostly just tells you how far you've pressed down the gas pedal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I read that as mmHg and got confused as gently caress because I'm used to kilopascals. That conversion was super off.

Your MAP sensor should be reading 1atm at WOT on an N/A car.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Gauge pressure is the way any boost/vacuum should be measured. I'm guessing they used mmHg for vacuum so that the dial could be hemispherical instead of missing half of the vacuum measurement.