Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And knowing which song to use is simple once you understand them. Big aoe pulls with other physical dps in the party? Use the tp regen song. Lots of casters in your party? Use the magic damage boost song (and remember that healers can be considered dps casters except in extreme situations). Upcoming aoe heal extravaganza due to whole party damage like odin's gungir? Use the mp regen song. None of those situations apply? Then don't bother using a song since they cost you 15% of your dps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Sentient Data posted:

And knowing which song to use is simple once you understand them. Big aoe pulls with other physical dps in the party? Use the tp regen song. Lots of casters in your party? Use the magic damage boost song (and remember that healers can be considered dps casters except in extreme situations). Upcoming aoe heal extravaganza due to whole party damage like odin's gungir? Use the mp regen song. None of those situations apply? Then don't bother using a song since they cost you 15% of your dps

Keep in mind that Foe Requiem (magic resistance song) doesn't actually lower your damage, so feel free to use it more liberally.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Leofish posted:

I didn't want to bother any of the goon groups right away, since I'm still super new and I'm really casual, but if things keep getting more interesting I may go forward with it. My character is on Excalibur.

Come join Third Party Tools! You get an xp boost just for being in the FC and we're always happy to help people and answer questions. There's no reason whatsoever to wait.

Mazed posted:

If you want a giant John Madden clusterfuck, play Machinist endgame instead. Which I am now, because nobody else I know is, gotta be special. :shepface:

Machinist is really good now and can do some amazing DPS.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
theres a difference between dps and burst

mch can do good burst

it's still the lowest dps class in the game

it's slightly better at utility than bard but it's also exponentially harder and its rotation is pretty anemic outside of your cooldown burst

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
SE should feel really bad about how they made 3 new classes that are all annoying/clunky to play in their own way compared to the 2.x classes.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

There is something eminently satisfying about pulling off a perfect Wildfire burst. What fucks me up as a Machinist is mistiming boss phases so that Wildfire never goes off at all while other buffs just tick away impotently, i.e. Ravana's tendency to just leave the ring and waltz around offscreen while throwing stuff to dodge. This, however, I figure is just as much a matter of practice as it is to keep track of cooldowns, and having this much to juggle honestly makes for more engaging play than more predictable DPS classes. Granted, they might be parsing higher than I am, but gently caress it I'm having fun. :v:

Also, the ranged DPS gear sets are like head and shoulders above everything else in sheer swank factor, and if damage output is the price to pay for being the swashbucklingest princess, so be it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Eej posted:

SE should feel really bad about how they made 3 new classes that are all annoying/clunky to play in their own way compared to the 2.x classes.

Dark Knight is really good and the funnest tank.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I hate myself for getting into triple triad.

Still don't have the King Mog card and it's going to be a pain to get because nobody does Thornmarch Ex anymore.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Doublestep posted:

theres a difference between dps and burst

mch can do good burst

it's still the lowest dps class in the game

it's slightly better at utility than bard but it's also exponentially harder and its rotation is pretty anemic outside of your cooldown burst

This isn't true at all though? MCH does good overall DPS if played properly, because the massive size of the burst makes up for the dip between bursts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Avynte posted:

Gathering while waiting for dps queues is nice. There's no worry of having to sprint out of combat if it pops at an innoportune time.
I'm pretty sure I've had queues pull me out of combat.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure I've had queues pull me out of combat.

Yeah, you don't need to drop combat to enter an instance.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

kafziel posted:

This isn't true at all though? MCH does good overall DPS if played properly, because the massive size of the burst makes up for the dip between bursts.

http://www.fflogs.com/rankings/server/8/latest/#class=Global&spec=Machinist

http://www.fflogs.com/rankings/server/8/latest/#class=Global&spec=Bard

machinist does better on a3s because of the bursty nature of most of the fight

its still the lowest dps

i didn't say their dps was good or bad i said they're the lowest

not sure if fflogs clips out flaming arrow at all on faust, but its perfectly timed for machinists

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Veks posted:

Yeah, you don't need to drop combat to enter an instance.

But if you're leveling an alt class, you need to run out of combat to switch to your queued class, and then have your poo poo all on cooldown anyway because you're far enough out of town that you won't be able to make it back before the queue pops.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Eej posted:

AST could use a nudge up in DPS to stand toe to toe with WHM and SCH, but otherwise it isn't particularly annoying or clunky to play at all. Watching for card stuff is no more annoying than religiously watching for when ninjutsu is up.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The point to AST is they have intentionally low personal DPS because they offer raid boosts to DPS through their cards. They were initially weak on the healing front but the recent buffs they've gotten seem to have put them in a really good place amongst the healers.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The point to AST is they have intentionally low personal DPS because they offer raid boosts to DPS through their cards. They were initially weak on the healing front but the recent buffs they've gotten seem to have put them in a really good place amongst the healers.
The problem is that the cards are nowhere near strong enough to make up for a lack of personal DPS. Before the card buff, cards played absolutely optimally were about the same effectiveness as Selene's buff. Now they're marginally better, but not really enough to make up for the fact that a scholar or a white mage can comically outdamage an astrologian. The healing is about on par, but the DPS or the card effects need to go up.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I actually just got around to unlocking AST today, and the card thing is seriously super fun. Scholar and white mage feel sort of like two variations of the same thing, but neither of them are quite as much of a mad random-buff monster.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I hope that this is true, as what little I've seen so far has jazzed me a great deal more than the impressions I've had of other jobs within the first few levels of obtaining them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

AST could use a nudge up in DPS to stand toe to toe with WHM and SCH, but otherwise it isn't particularly annoying or clunky to play at all. Watching for card stuff is no more annoying than religiously watching for when ninjutsu is up.

IMHO the main issue with AST is that it has a basic WHM toolkit and then has cards and a couple extra abilities attached to it and because of that it doesn't really have a very good class identity compared to the other healers in the game (which can be blamed on there being only two healer slots per raid and the encounter designers only having experience with two specific types of healers).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The problem is that the cards are nowhere near strong enough to make up for a lack of personal DPS. Before the card buff, cards played absolutely optimally were about the same effectiveness as Selene's buff. Now they're marginally better, but not really enough to make up for the fact that a scholar or a white mage can comically outdamage an astrologian. The healing is about on par, but the DPS or the card effects need to go up.

This is probably true, I've been on a month or so hiatus so I'm a little out of touch with super current balance talk. I believe I've heard mention of AST being taken into Alex Savage with some success though.

Mazed posted:

I actually just got around to unlocking AST today, and the card thing is seriously super fun. Scholar and white mage feel sort of like two variations of the same thing, but neither of them are quite as much of a mad random-buff monster.

I hope that this is true, as what little I've seen so far has jazzed me a great deal more than the impressions I've had of other jobs within the first few levels of obtaining them.

Play what you enjoy and click with the most is generally the best advice while AST were pretty undertuned on release they are much better now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

seems like amazon has the base+expansion combo for the cheapest at 39.99 for pc? I've been tooling around as a free trial and having fun.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I think AST is fine. I prefer it for a1s, marginally prefer it for a3s. It's clearly not as good as WHM for a2s and a4s. Their low personal dps isn't too big of a deal because as a healer you're more likely to do damage in spurts, so dot damage with no accuracy requirements like combust 2 are actually pretty great. It is still lower damage than WHM, and the aoe damage potential is incomparably inferior of course, but then cards.. It's decent overall.
You could definitely design a fight to favour an AST if you tried, catering to the unique benefits of things like the new Synastry or moments of extremely high groupwide damage mitigation (for example stacking virus, disable, deployed adlo, sacred soil and collective unconscious). When current savage fights were designed though, synastry (and CU, disable and such) were clearly different skills altogether to the ones they eventually became through patches.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

phosdex posted:

seems like amazon has the base+expansion combo for the cheapest at 39.99 for pc? I've been tooling around as a free trial and having fun.

Check Green Man Gaming, they have a -25% sale when using the code on front page.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been playing SCH a bit (mainly as a way to easily level SMN so I have a DPS class) and I dunno, it feels... more panicked than WHM in higher level dungeons. I did an HLDR with a lovely tank who wanted to do massive pulls and I couldn't keep up with the damage he took (of course, he's not using cool downs). Also, him doing huge pulls seems to lower overall DPS since I have to focus on healing him instead of using spells. I'm curious to get it to 60 and try it in higher level gear.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just spam adlo and use lustrate if it's not keeping up if someone pulls too much. If you run out of juice, it's entirely on them.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Always blame fairy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Truga posted:

Just spam adlo and use lustrate if it's not keeping up if someone pulls too much. If you run out of juice, it's entirely on them.

Yeah, the guy died first pull because I wasn't aware he was gonna do a massive pull and went around the corner and out of my sight so he screwed himself. I revived him and he then went ahead with weakness and not waiting for a protect. Then he complained he wasn't getting healed enough when 3 mobs kill him in a second.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of PS4, the Heavensward PS4 bundle is on sale with a 60-day time card for $50:

http://www.amazon.com/FINAL-FANTASY...ward+ps4+bundle

This has a PC option too, so thanks for this. I haven't bought HW yet because I was hoping a deal would happen before I hit 50/finished the MSQ :haw:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
someone who's not bad at this game tell me if as is as ball busting as I've heard

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tarranon posted:

someone who's not bad at this game tell me if as is as ball busting as I've heard

What is your definition of ball-busting?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
let's say pre echo fcob as a comparison point

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tarranon posted:

1-2 are quite easy and at this level of gear available shouldn't take an organized group that much time. 3 in my experience so far has a lot going on, but you make steady progress as you learn each set of mechanics not unlike T13 / T9. I can't speak for 4.

It's probably more abusive to screwing up mechanics than early FCOB pre-echo was though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tarranon posted:

The casual motto: It's just a game.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Tarranon posted:

tl;dr: 1-2 = Coil, 3-4 = Second Coil Savage

1-2 have nothing beyond what's been seen before, and pretty much everyone has them on farm.

3 is as complex as an end-of-raid fight by itself, with a lot of varied, back-to-back mechanics and almost no wiggle room for error. The fight is scripted down to the second; it's a step dance, like Titan Ex was. You make it all the way to the end through the exact same actions with everyone more or less alive or you enrage and die. At launch it needed a lot of dps optimization; now that everyone's in i200+ it's less punishing in that regard, although you do still need everyone up and doing damage the entire time.

4 is technically worse than 3, but in a different way; it's more like Turn 8 on steroids, where there are a lot less individual mechanics to keep track of (and a few aren't even instantly lethal!) but requires significant DPS optimization on the part of your group to beat the hard enrage. I say "technically" worse because people have figured out how to neuter two of the more punishing mechanics, which makes the fight as a whole much easier to manage.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Which guild should I join if I'm now classed as a "filthy casual" in MMOs?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Which guild should I join if I'm now classed as a "filthy casual" in MMOs?

PBC.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
ah meiteron my old pal

it's too bad I had to bow out before I got to experience the joys of red scrip crafting. But it was a lot of fun being on the bleeding edge while it lasted

Those last two turns sound pretty intense. I never got a chance to run savage coil but I'm led to believe turn 8 was the worst of the lot. If I'm able to play again when it happens I'll probably come back around the time they take loot lockout off the first Alex raids so I can gear up fast. Any word on when they plan to do that?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Tarranon posted:

it's too bad I had to bow out before I got to experience the joys of red scrip crafting

Don't worry mate, none of us got to experience that

If it holds to the standard pattern loot lockouts will be removed when the content becomes obsolete; so 3.2, or probably 5 months from now.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Meiteron posted:

Don't worry mate, none of us got to experience that

If it holds to the standard pattern loot lockouts will be removed when the content becomes obsolete; so 3.2, or probably 5 months from now.

Isn't Alex Normal obsolete currently? Couldn't we see something in 3.1?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The rep scrip stuff looks liked they looked at older WOW's cooldown-limited crafts and thought they were a good idea, but then missed the fact that WOW's cooldown-limited stuff gave you raid equivalent gear that generally just had worse socket colours on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Klungar posted:

Isn't Alex Normal obsolete currently? Couldn't we see something in 3.1?

Savage mode is separate from normal progression. Alex normal gear will get it's loot lockout released when they put in a new raid that they expect everyone to do. 3.1 is likely, though it might be 3.1x

• Locked thread