Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Testekill posted:

I would say that bringing in someone that doesn't want to go to your team for 800k a season for five-six years isn't going to help out a team. It's why when a contracted player nominates a team and wants out then you don't want to keep them because they may very well effect player morale.

On the other hand if Dangerfield decides to not be the professional everyone says he is and sits out, he doesn't get any of that money.

Nick Stevens fit in at Carlton eventually. Even Buckley played 3 years for the Bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand if Dangerfield decides to not be the professional everyone says he is and sits out, he doesn't get any of that money.

Nick Stevens fit in at Carlton eventually. Even Buckley played 3 years for the Bears.

Buckley only played at Brisbane in 1993, he was drafted by them in 91 but he refused to go to them because he wanted to play in Victoria. So he sat out 91 & 92 while playing for Port Adelaide but the AFL would only let him go to Brisbane. He eventually signed a deal with Brisbane that would let him decide if he wanted to leave or not at the end of 93 and he actually was hoping that spending the year up in Queensland would change his mind.

thepokey posted:

I thought the Dogs ruled themselves out when it came to Carlisle?

I think that the Michael Talia situation has forced our hand. I have heard that we were trying to get May from Gold Coast or Haynes from GWS so I assume that both of those options have fallen through.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

Does anyone else think that forcing a side to pay 90% of their salary cap no matter what is highly detrimental to the development of bad teams? It seems absurd that a side like Geelong, that finished 10th in spite of a swathe of injuries, has more cap room than Carlton that have a joke of a list. Surely bad sides should have the luxury of having lots of cap space with which to attract free agents? Why should they be robbed of that trade tool just so they can artificially pay hacks like David Ellard way above market asking price?

It's now 95% but I don't really have an issue with it. There are plenty of ways clubs can pay players that allows them to meet the 95% while not overpaying players.

The Saints currently have no players on the Veteran list, and have been front loading and pre-paying our young kids contracts in order to make up the 95%. This in turn creates a massive amount of cap space in future years. The more you pre-pay the more space you accumulate. We'll also be able to spend 105% of the cap next year as part of the AFLs new rules that allow you to do that the year following only reaching 95% (I think that's how it works).

We are apparently offering Carlisle 5 years at around 700-800k. That's a shitload, but when you consider that next year we can put 3 or 4 players on the Veteran list and instantly free up 300-400k it really reduces the impact it could have. Even if we get Carlisle I'd expect us to be throwing some really large sums of money around next year.

The Blues hosed their list with some stupid contracts when they thought they weren't poo poo (Daisy and Jones). A smart club can use the system to its advantage.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Danger would probably get through to Geelong if he went into the national draft, would still result in them using their first pick though.

In the pre-season draft there is no chance in hell he would.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

It's now 95% but I don't really have an issue with it. There are plenty of ways clubs can pay players that allows them to meet the 95% while not overpaying players.

The Saints currently have no players on the Veteran list, and have been front loading and pre-paying our young kids contracts in order to make up the 95%. This in turn creates a massive amount of cap space in future years. The more you pre-pay the more space you accumulate. We'll also be able to spend 105% of the cap next year as part of the AFLs new rules that allow you to do that the year following only reaching 95% (I think that's how it works).

We are apparently offering Carlisle 5 years at around 700-800k. That's a shitload, but when you consider that next year we can put 3 or 4 players on the Veteran list and instantly free up 300-400k it really reduces the impact it could have. Even if we get Carlisle I'd expect us to be throwing some really large sums of money around next year.

The Blues hosed their list with some stupid contracts when they thought they weren't poo poo (Daisy and Jones). A smart club can use the system to its advantage.

The danger with front-loading is you leave players as unrestricted free agents.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I expect Geelong will give over this year and next years first rounders to get this done.That's about what we got for Ablett which seems fair (until you realise we blew one of those on Smedts but hey that's on us).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

I expect Geelong will give over this year and next years first rounders to get this done.That's about what we got for Ablett which seems fair (until you realise we blew one of those on Smedts but hey that's on us).

Yep, if it was collingwood or essendon I could see them attempting to get him through the draft, Geelong I don't see it as much.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

Buckley only played at Brisbane in 1993, he was drafted by them in 91 but he refused to go to them because he wanted to play in Victoria. So he sat out 91 & 92 while playing for Port Adelaide but the AFL would only let him go to Brisbane. He eventually signed a deal with Brisbane that would let him decide if he wanted to leave or not at the end of 93 and he actually was hoping that spending the year up in Queensland would change his mind.

Buckley was 19 years old, he still had 10 years of a career left after those 3 years. Dangerfield is 25, doing the same thing has him missing football at the prime of his career with only 4 years left to come back.

hiddenmovement posted:

And so they should. I think we might still try to add George Horlin Smith into the deal, but he probably doesn't want to leave, and the deal will stay at that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

but if he does go to the PSD melbourne will be happy to pick him up and give him a free V-Line pass.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

but if he does go to the PSD melbourne will be happy to pick him up and give him a free V-Line pass.

Aren't you guys sponsored by Range Rover? Couldn't you just get him one of those, and unlimited petrol.
He gets a rangey, and he can go up the snow during the week because based on results it's highly improbable Melbourne are actually training every week of the season which is also a bonus for Melbourne because most of their fanbase gets to say hello to their newest star.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Schlesische posted:

Aren't you guys sponsored by Range Rover? Couldn't you just get him one of those, and unlimited petrol.
He gets a rangey, and he can go up the snow during the week because based on results it's highly improbable Melbourne are actually training every week of the season which is also a bonus for Melbourne because most of their fanbase gets to say hello to their newest star.

mate, like a melbourne supporter would recognise a player without his number

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Buckley was 19 years old, he still had 10 years of a career left after those 3 years. Dangerfield is 25, doing the same thing has him missing football at the prime of his career with only 4 years left to come back.

And so they should. I think we might still try to add George Horlin Smith into the deal, but he probably doesn't want to leave, and the deal will stay at that.

Why on earth do you want George Horlin Smith? He's an inside mid that failed to break into a side that finished dead last for clearances.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
jon patton is in hospital with a concussion after getting attacked unprovoked in LA

i remember a similar thing happening to will schofield in geelong a few years ago. maybe some lunatics see a guy whos 6'5 and just want to try to knock them out for the hell of it?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

Why on earth do you want George Horlin Smith? He's an inside mid that failed to break into a side that finished dead last for clearances.

hosed if I know, but he was the player we were trying to engineer a trade for until the Tippett thing exploded and killed our draft picks. I don't actually know if we're still into him or not.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 24, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

jon patton is in hospital with a concussion after getting attacked unprovoked in LA

i remember a similar thing happening to will schofield in geelong a few years ago. maybe some lunatics see a guy whos 6'5 and just want to try to knock them out for the hell of it?

yeah, some fuckwits just really want to start fights for no reason

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

yeah, some fuckwits just really want to start fights for no reason

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

The danger with front-loading is you leave players as unrestricted free agents.

That's not really an issue when you are giving 2-3 year contracts to 18-20 year olds though. Plus these days clubs have a greater understanding of FA compared to when the Dees made the Frawley contract (no understanding cause it wasn't in yet).

snaeksikn posted:

That's pretty much it. A friend of mine is 6'6 and 150kg and when he goes out on a Friday/Saturday night he gets random dickheads saying all sorts of poo poo to him to try and start fights.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I get attention from idiots sometimes. The mentally ill seem to be particularly spontaneously attracted to me. Had a guy run up to me on Smith street and fly kick a tripod I was using. No provocation. Co workers didn't really believe me until we were out getting lunch one day and a guy stepped out of a shop and declared that 'I hope you get cancer, bowel cancer, and die you oval office.' Again, I'd never seen him before. Hadn't even been inside that shop.

Maybe I'm just goofy lookin'.

EDIT: Just remembered, Jill Maegher's murderer tried to have a crack at me outside the Quiet Man in Kensington. He woulda won, too.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 24, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Happy 162nd Birthday MCG (it was yesterday, shh)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
No Crowley for the final :(

But thankfully Griffen and Tabaner come into the side, Griffen can kick a goal or two and Tabaner can stop Pav getting double/triple teamed. Clancee and Zac Clarke are out.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

No Selwood either, if we make the grand final and he isn't selected that'd pretty much be a guaranteed trade trigger right there.

Also don't do it Woosha, don't dooo ittttt

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Also don't do it Woosha, don't dooo ittttt

BLUE PILL WOOSH BLUE PILL

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Wtf does a director of coaching even do

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Negligent posted:

Wtf does a director of coaching even do

Direct the coaching. Duh.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
"hey scott .."

"yeah woosha?"

"do some coaching"

"...ok john"

*collects paycheque*

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Negligent posted:

"hey scott .."

"yeah woosha?"

"do some coaching"

"...ok john"

*collects paycheque*

It's probably more like:

"Hey Woosha"

"yeah Scott?"

"I'm not sure who to pick this week"

"Dangerfield, Hunter, Stenglein, Sumich, same as I put in my email"

"Okay Woosha"

"Did I ever tell you about the time I won the premiership in 2006? How we got there?"

"Okay Woosha"

"Scott, are you listening to me"

"Okay Woosha"

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
"Do you have an Adam Hunter style defender? If so, send him forward occasionally"

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Apparently it was reported on SEN that Toumpas is probably going to be traded.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Periphery posted:

Apparently reported probably

But yeah I wouldn't be surprised. Doubt many clubs will be that interested. He's from SA. Maybe he could pull a Polec?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ollie wines *has aneurysm*

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Periphery posted:

That's pretty much it. A friend of mine is 6'6 and 150kg and when he goes out on a Friday/Saturday night he gets random dickheads saying all sorts of poo poo to him to try and start fights.

I'm 6'3 and used to have this happen to me when I was about town in my youth.

Best one I can remember is a bloke (coward?) coming up to me in a subway while I was looking at the menu board at about 3am and going "HEY MATE WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT, WANNA HAVE A GO?" I literally said to him I was looking at the menu board and then it was on. Funniest part was I didn't even get involved, a mate of mine grabbed him and threw him out before I could even move.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I'm about the same height as Boomer Harvey and have been about as obnoxious as Boomer Harvey out on the town for nearly as long as Boomer Harvey's careeer and no one's ever clocked me so this theory has legs imo

Boonys Cut Shot fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 24, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm 6'2 and nobody ever had a go at me like that in all my uni days and nights around Adelaide

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I'm only 6 foot and saw Luke Hodge leave a pub and get into his car and the next thing I know he was driving over my legs repeatedly in the car park and laughing about it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I'm only 6 foot and saw Luke Hodge leave a pub and get into his car and the next thing I know he was driving over my legs repeatedly in the car park and laughing about it

hosed up if true

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Sounds about right.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm 3'5 and everyone starts poo poo with me, they talk poo poo and get hit.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I'm 6'2 and never had random people try to fight me with the exception of the handful of times I ever went to the leederville hotel. I also saw nic naitanui there shortly after he was drafted, he's not as tall as I thought he would be.
I'm so glad the leederville closed down.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Essendon wants Dahlhaus for Carlisle. Dodoro showing that he's very enthusiastic about trading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

NTRabbit posted:

I'm 6'2 and nobody ever had a go at me like that in all my uni days and nights around Melbourne

• Locked thread