Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Werner-Boogle posted:

Really? I'm not American and English is only my second language, but I've always associated hinterland with... huge flat stretches of uncultured land. Far from civilization.

You've never been to Iowa or Indiana, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for all the heartland chat about my question, interesting stuff :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Werner-Boogle posted:

Really? I'm not American and English is only my second language, but I've always associated hinterland with snowy mountain peaks or huge flat stretches of uncultured land. Far from civilization. Places where like wolves and wild horses roam. While the heartland has a very clear apple pie, mom & pop, family values association to me that is distinctly American. Guess you learn something new everyday.

I mean, you're still talking about a backwater, just adding some nonsensical consolation prize for people who happen to live there.

It's a hinterland because the economic cores of the country depend on keeping it underdeveloped and manufacture that narrative to give people who enable the cores some sense of meaning (and so the hinterland also depends on the core for its identity). They're "small town America", not the unwitting humans on whom vampires regularly feed. It's definitely an interesting phenomenon unique to America because, say, Malaysian sweatshop workers don't have the same sense of kitschy nostalgia about their jobs or country. It's clear to them how they fall in the economic system, even if they can't necessarily articulate it. Even in Canada, we have nostalgia about our have-not regions, but we all understand and talk about how hosed up it is that all the young people justifiably go West. There are no pervasive illusions that Nova Scotians are the "real" Canadians, or that Saskatchewan is the "heart" of Canada.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

tuyop posted:

I mean, you're still talking about a backwater, just adding some nonsensical consolation prize for people who happen to live there.

It's a hinterland because the economic cores of the country depend on keeping it underdeveloped and manufacture that narrative to give people who enable the cores some sense of meaning (and so the hinterland also depends on the core for its identity). They're "small town America", not the unwitting humans on whom vampires regularly feed. It's definitely an interesting phenomenon unique to America because, say, Malaysian sweatshop workers don't have the same sense of kitschy nostalgia about their jobs or country. It's clear to them how they fall in the economic system, even if they can't necessarily articulate it. Even in Canada, we have nostalgia about our have-not regions, but we all understand and talk about how hosed up it is that all the young people justifiably go West. There are no pervasive illusions that Nova Scotians are the "real" Canadians, or that Saskatchewan is the "heart" of Canada.

Honestly, it is nonsense to claim that as a purely American value. I can't speak for Canada, but plenty of native city dwellers in other countries romanticise that national and traditional values live on in the countryside, away from the more multicultural urban centres.

Being considered a heartland of American values is not a consolation prize manufactured by the "economic core", just a case of rose tinted glasses of people who feel distanced from a sense of national identity.

You can see similar lines of logic in places like the UK, Japan, Scandinavia, and many other places. It's just grass-is-greener mentality, and mostly found in people born and raised in cities themselves.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Honestly, it is nonsense to claim that as a purely American value. I can't speak for Canada, but plenty of native city dwellers in other countries romanticise that national and traditional values live on in the countryside, away from the more multicultural urban centres.

Being considered a heartland of American values is not a consolation prize manufactured by the "economic core", just a case of rose tinted glasses of people who feel distanced from a sense of national identity.

You can see similar lines of logic in places like the UK, Japan, Scandinavia, and many other places. It's just grass-is-greener mentality, and mostly found in people born and raised in cities themselves.

I think it's possible that we're talking about the same thing. National identity comes from somewhere and is a product of systems, sometimes spontaneous and "organic", sometimes designed. It also serves a purpose, my perspective is that it's to alienate and disempower, subtly. I think you're talking about a psychological purpose (to find meaning?). These sound like group and individual perspectives, respectively, and they're not mutually exclusive.

As for specific countries, I think states struggle to define their national identity. Canadians are famous for this, so it makes sense that we wouldn't think of a region as a heartland that defines what it is to be Canadian. Nobody knows what that means.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

tuyop posted:

what it is to be Canadian. Nobody knows what that means.

Clubbing seals drenched in maple syrup with a hockey stick??

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Clubbing seals drenched in maple syrup with a hockey stick??

"I'm from Saskatchewan, there are no seals here or trees of any sort. Also, we play baseball in my town. I guess I'm not Canadian!"

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Werner-Boogle posted:

Really? I'm not American and English is only my second language, but I've always associated hinterland with snowy mountain peaks or huge flat stretches of uncultured land. Far from civilization.

Uncultured (lacking social graces) is said generally about people.

Uncultivated (Not developed for use by people) is said about land.

Though the play between the two is interesting.

One important point to keep in mind is that the cost of living is unbelievably different between the heartland, and the urban areas. For many people the ability to buy a house matters. And this is not really possible on a sliding scale as the move from heartland to urban.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I was able to find the name in the podcast transcription. It's (T)ERROR. Thank you though!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Excel formatting question:

I want to keep a running total that is only displayed when the total actually increases from a line total:

=IF((F3>0),(F3+Running Total 'A'),"")

I really have no idea how to "else' case it into blank if there is no increase.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kapalama posted:

I want to keep a running total that is only displayed when the total actually increases from a line total:

I'm not near my computer right now, but I don't think you want to use an empty string for your else argument, since the field is formatted as numerical. You might be better off using null instead. Or zero.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Four people are in a Facebook group message but the person who started the group kicks one of the members out but then invites him back in a few hours later. Does that person who got kicked out able to see the messages between the period he got kicked out and let back in?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So what's a good approach to take when you're managing volunteers in a (software) project and one of your volunteers isn't behaving according to your expectations? I'm in such a situation now - since the beginning of July one of my volunteers will not answer any correspondence unless I nag him repeatedly. I've confronted him about this twice and he's claimed to really believe in the project and has promised to improve and yet once again it has been a week since he's given me an update and I'm trying to have the next phase of the project ready by the end of October. I don't want to say "gently caress you, you're out" because I need all the help I can get and when he actually checks in his work is quite good -- he'll even go above and beyond and take on additional stuff on his own initiative -- and I don't want to go through another round of "hey I feel frustrated and disrespected, get your poo poo together already" because he is volunteering after all and I feel bad making demands on someone who's doing pro-quality work for free. Just how demanding can someone be of their volunteers anyway?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

tuyop posted:

"I'm from Saskatchewan, there are no seals here or trees of any sort. Also, we play baseball in my town. I guess I'm not Canadian!"

I guess not, eh

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Busy Bee posted:

Four people are in a Facebook group message but the person who started the group kicks one of the members out but then invites him back in a few hours later. Does that person who got kicked out able to see the messages between the period he got kicked out and let back in?

I recently left a Facebook conversation then was added back in and could see the messages in between.

A couple of differences though, I left the conversation (wasn't kicked), I was the one who started the conversation initially and there was only a few minutes between me leaving and getting added back in. I can't see these things making much of a difference though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Busy Bee posted:

If you want to talk about Alison's sweet sixteen behind her back, just group text Tara and Madison.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Do I put recyclables in a trash bag before putting them into the curbside bin? Presumably the trash bag counts as recyclable plastic?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Golbez posted:

Do I put recyclables in a trash bag before putting them into the curbside bin? Presumably the trash bag counts as recyclable plastic?

No bag. Just dump them all in. They are later sorted.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Here in Brussels we have a small refugee camp in one of our parks and I'm looking to donate supplies. One of the things they're asking for is warm blankets. I figure that these space blanks that I can get out of a local store will fit nicely. They're cheap and waterproof. The charity workers say they don't like space blankets because they're not built for long-term use, but these particular blankets are supposedly more rugged, with a guaranteed lifespan of 1 year. I haven't received feedback about these yet - do you think they would make a suitable donation?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 23, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

"They're not made for long term use" probably means "they're not intended/suitable for long term use", rather than "they're not durable enough". a.k.a. they want actual blankets, ones you can sleep in and on and wash after a while.

They're ok for not dying while you wait for the rescue chopper, not much else. I wouldn't wish sleeping under a sheet of plastic for the next couple of weeks on anyone, even if it's technically a step up from freezing to death.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
They're waterproof, and you can clean them just by wiping them down. Doesn't that sound ideal for camping? And these particular space blankets seem tougher than the usual disposable variety.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

They suck balls comfort wise though, is what I'm getting at. Nobody uses them for camping; they bring one for emergencies, not to sleep in. For a solid reason.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, seriously. Don't get space blankets. Imagine you were forced to leave your home, probably lots of friends and family members and most if not all of your worldly possessions behind so you wouldn't die or starve. You may never be able to return. You're in a strange place with different customs and you probably feel like a burden, but what can you do?

Do you want someone to give you a warm, comfortable blanket, or a sheet of plastic?

Hint: even if you still think the answer is "a space blanket," you are wrong. It's not about durability or ease of cleaning, it's about providing comfort and a sense of normalcy. These people have been just surviving long enough. Buy some normal blankets.

e: Totally agreed. \/ \/

Flipperwaldt posted:

Not dissing the willingness to help, though. That's super cool. There just has to be something else or some other way.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 23, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's actually pretty difficult to clean space blankets versus normal ones. Sure you can "wipe them down" but that's time consuming as hell when there's a lot, while regular ones can just be tossed ina few washing machines.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Not dissing the willingness to help, though. That's super cool. There just has to be something else or some other way.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Xibanya posted:

So what's a good approach to take when you're managing volunteers in a (software) project and one of your volunteers isn't behaving according to your expectations? I'm in such a situation now - since the beginning of July one of my volunteers will not answer any correspondence unless I nag him repeatedly. I've confronted him about this twice and he's claimed to really believe in the project and has promised to improve and yet once again it has been a week since he's given me an update and I'm trying to have the next phase of the project ready by the end of October. I don't want to say "gently caress you, you're out" because I need all the help I can get and when he actually checks in his work is quite good -- he'll even go above and beyond and take on additional stuff on his own initiative -- and I don't want to go through another round of "hey I feel frustrated and disrespected, get your poo poo together already" because he is volunteering after all and I feel bad making demands on someone who's doing pro-quality work for free. Just how demanding can someone be of their volunteers anyway?

I just did a huge 2 year volunteer project and basically, it's a pain in the rear end and you'll need a dedicated project manager. Meetings suck balls but you need regular meetings with the whole team together to give everyone visibility and make sure that nobody's blocked in any of their tasks. It also reminds people that there are other people working on the project too and milestones require everyone to pitch in so they get reached.

For this guy, you need to figure out how he wants to communicate. Email isn't working so does he prefer phone calls? Facetime? ICQ? Then try and schedule regular check-ins and make it clear they're opportunities for him to tell you what he needs to get his poo poo done. You've also got him to set his own deadlines or at least participate in the process so he'll feel more accountable. Try and get all the milestones and everyone's to-dos in something like Basecamp so everyone has public deadlines and it builds that whole team solidarity thing again. Also, set plan B deadlines because volunteer projects take an agonizingly long time even with a dedicated project manager. Good luck.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Does anyone know what tree these would come from?

The leaves have very small thorns at the end of each vein on the side of the leaf. Anywhere that I try to ID it through suggests that, by the leaves, it's an American Beech or American Chestnut, but those come in seed pods that don't look like this. This one's nuts look like they're half-way between an acorn and chestnut when on the tree, which I can't find any match of.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

OneEightHundred posted:

Does anyone know what tree these would come from?

The leaves have very small thorns at the end of each vein on the side of the leaf. Anywhere that I try to ID it through suggests that, by the leaves, it's an American Beech or American Chestnut, but those come in seed pods that don't look like this. This one's nuts look like they're half-way between an acorn and chestnut when on the tree, which I can't find any match of.

I googled "spiky acorn" and it looks like we've got a match: the tanoak.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

greazeball posted:

I just did a huge 2 year volunteer project and basically, it's a pain in the rear end and you'll need a dedicated project manager. Meetings suck balls but you need regular meetings with the whole team together to give everyone visibility and make sure that nobody's blocked in any of their tasks. It also reminds people that there are other people working on the project too and milestones require everyone to pitch in so they get reached.

For this guy, you need to figure out how he wants to communicate. Email isn't working so does he prefer phone calls? Facetime? ICQ? Then try and schedule regular check-ins and make it clear they're opportunities for him to tell you what he needs to get his poo poo done. You've also got him to set his own deadlines or at least participate in the process so he'll feel more accountable. Try and get all the milestones and everyone's to-dos in something like Basecamp so everyone has public deadlines and it builds that whole team solidarity thing again. Also, set plan B deadlines because volunteer projects take an agonizingly long time even with a dedicated project manager. Good luck.

Thanks, that all sounds pretty good. UGH this is so stressful I'm like actually worked up and angry right now but I know I just need to chill since it'll all be OK.

E:

Just repeating this to myself over and over :smith:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 24, 2015

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps a strange question or maybe just my imagination or something but, why does it take so long to unload luggage from a plane?

The people manage to get off and through immigration before the luggage gets there and then have to continue standing around for a while. It's not like they're being careful or anything. And I'm sure they are all boxed up and ready to pull off the plane.

Is there a reason?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Shadow0 posted:

Perhaps a strange question or maybe just my imagination or something but, why does it take so long to unload luggage from a plane?

The people manage to get off and through immigration before the luggage gets there and then have to continue standing around for a while. It's not like they're being careful or anything. And I'm sure they are all boxed up and ready to pull off the plane.

Is there a reason?

This varies from airline to airline. I just flew with Alaska airlines, and they have a guarantee that your bags will be ready within 20 minutes of landing or you get $25 credit, so there must be a way to do it.

That being said, I never really thought it was a super long time waiting for my bags to arrive in reality. It probably seems longer because either you're anticipating getting where you want to go, or modern air travel (especially through Ohare) is a lovely experience, and you just want it over with as soon as possible.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Xibanya posted:

Thanks, that all sounds pretty good. UGH this is so stressful I'm like actually worked up and angry right now but I know I just need to chill since it'll all be OK.

E:

Just repeating this to myself over and over :smith:

Hey I made it so you can do it too! :sympathy:

I was right there with you with the rage and the stress so try and break things down and really delegate one person to just do the project management. Also, make an effort to get out of using email as a primary communication channel... there are bottlenecks everywhere and it lets everyone think they're fighting a war in their own foxhole and everyone dies a slow death alone. Teamwork is a loving bitch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Trello has been really good for team stuff with non-centralised workers for us this year. We have sites in sub-Saharan Africa, USA, Latin America, Southeast Asia and Australia. Getting people to respond to things in a timely fashion is difficult. Trello's not a magic bullet but it helps.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Trello has been really good for team stuff with non-centralised workers for us this year. We have sites in sub-Saharan Africa, USA, Latin America, Southeast Asia and Australia. Getting people to respond to things in a timely fashion is difficult. Trello's not a magic bullet but it helps.

We have a really small team (3 people) but a bunch of tasks, we were getting really frustrated with email and meetings and we switched to Slack and Trello and as far as I can tell it's been smooth(er) sailing.

I imagine programmers would be better about these sorts of things but I'm probably wrong. If someone tells me that an app or service might help keep something from stressing me out, I'm all over it. One of our partners is just super reluctant to do anything different with technology, and it's really frustrating because she's the one complaining most about being left out of decisions. Like, if you don't like a task or have a question about it FOLLOW THE PROTOCOL, write a comment on Trello or at least hit me on slack. Don't just stew for two days. :argh:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

Quoting myself in case anyone else needs to do this.

What I did was just keep a running total in one column, which of course results in many repeats of an unchanged running total, and then added another column with the logic

=IF((G2=G3),"",G3) (all relative values)

Which blanks the display of the previous columns running total when it is a repeat of the value above, and and displays it the running total if it is a new value.

And then I hid the running original running total column, which was too busy to scan for information easily otherwise.

SO now I have a overly busy many repeating values running total column (that I hide) and a new column which only displays a value when the running total is updated, which is what I wanted. I just forgot to use the hidden columns to get things done.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

What about something like =IF(SUM(F$1:F3)>SUM(F$1:F2),SUM(F$1:F3),""), which would avoid the hidden column?

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
Couldn't find a good thread for this so:
I'm looking into getting contact lenses again for the first time since 2006. Does brand matter at all or is it super subjective and I should be fine regardless of what brand I purchase?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

This varies from airline to airline. I just flew with Alaska airlines, and they have a guarantee that your bags will be ready within 20 minutes of landing or you get $25 credit, so there must be a way to do it.

It varies from airport to airport as well. I used to live in the Seattle area, and no matter what airline you were on the baggage handlers took forever to get everything unloaded. It wasn't unusual to wait 45 minutes for the carousel to start going.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Can anyone tell me what kid of mushrooms these are? Or point me to the thread for that sort of thing. I searched but couldn't find it. Thanks.

These popped up within a few days in a friends yard in western Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

It varies from airport to airport as well. I used to live in the Seattle area, and no matter what airline you were on the baggage handlers took forever to get everything unloaded. It wasn't unusual to wait 45 minutes for the carousel to start going.

It's mostly this I think. How much staff per bag does the airport have basically, plus extra time for actually getting stuff from the plane to the carousel. Less staff means stuff takes longer, but more staff means expensive staff downtime outside of peak hours. And just regular paying more money I guess.