Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Another vote for our good pal Benedict. He's always got our back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Update

When I started scanning there was a small majority in favour of getting the captain to deal with Ironjaw, which has since switched around to letting SuGaBA handle it. Sorry about that, I guess that happens sometimes. If it helps any letting SuGaBA handle things just leads to the status quo, as opposed to the beating we're about to receive.

Completed page 132:

We go for 87:

Probably wish it was just a bunch of skinks, I guess. This is actually a really tough fight even with the jaw and the ship defences.
Close combat works a little differently than ranged combat and much more like normal combat in Sword of the Bastard Elf. You decide how much energy you're going to spend on an attack, then roll your FIST dice and try to beat the opponent's score (plus the highest of their FIST dice, if applicable).
Whoever gets the highest score hits and causes a wound (take one health off whoever lost). If the scores are tied then no one is injured and you move onto the next round.
The fight continues until one side runs out of health, the captain runs out of energy or some condition given in the text is met (ie a number of rounds). In this case it's a simple fight to the death against a very tough opponent.

It takes five rounds. I use 10 energy each round (out of 11 possible) because I'm worried about the captain's energy levels. He started the fight with only 60 energy.
We win round 1, lose rounds 2 and 3 and win rounds 4 and 5. The croc, with 3 health, survives three hits. In the end we lose 50 energy (!) and two health. Since we're the captain we don't roll on the wound table for him or take any negative modifiers, he's considered tough enough to shrug off almost any injury. Still, better try to take it easy on the guy in this sector since if he dies it's game over. Anyway Ironjaw is no more and we need a new security officer.

We were heading to Becrux on page 93 but before we get there let's meet the new crew members:

The new Engineer, Benedict:

The Valet, Donald Plover:

and the Security (shields) officer, Bob:

May their reigns be as long and glorious as their predecessors'.

We arrive in Becrux (93)

We've jumped into the middle of a radiation storm which has hit us for 10 ENERGY and will do it again every day we're here. Hopefully we're not sticking around long anyway since we've only got 3 days to get clear of this part of the galaxy.
This is the first date check we've had, it commonly happens if you move into systems where another species is likely to be passing through. The date is 2047.261, so we turn to 363:

I have to apologise for the botched scan job, I got the contrast settings wrong in my hurry to get it out to you guys. I'll get it rescanned as soon as possible.
Anyway we're now half an astronomical unit away from the Disco Alliance Ganymed, the starship of another species that is roughly as powerful as our own.
What do we do?

Starship manifest:

Current location (Becrux):

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 24, 2015

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
There appears to be an error here, that's page 202, not 363.

My mistake, it seems to be the correct page. Well then, let's try opening hailing frequencies, and if that fails, raise shields and go to yellow alert.

Pyroi fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 24, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Do we have any Rysian Infospheres?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also,

Gilganixon posted:

The new Engineer, Benedict:

"Cannot be deposed by Captain"
That sounds like it might be trouble once his crapulence score starts to rise :stare:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Applewhite posted:

Do we have any Rysian Infospheres?

Nah, we have to make do with what we've got on the manifest, plus the talents of our wonderful and useful crew.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
put their leader onscreen, have plover hovering above you ready to drop sunglasses on your head at a moments notice

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Applewhite posted:

Also,

"Cannot be deposed by Captain"
That sounds like it might be trouble once his crapulence score starts to rise :stare:

Benedict is a guy who can wreck your game if his crapulence starts rising. If his crapulence raises, then we should just start tossing him into the game's super lethal combat.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Open hailing frequencies and tell the Discobots "10 print 'Take all our items' 20 goto 10"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Obscil posted:

Benedict is a guy who can wreck your game if his crapulence starts rising. If his crapulence raises, then we should just start tossing him into the game's super lethal combat.

I'm sure we can keep his crapulence down if we treat him with trust and respect. He seems like the type of croc who could be our right-hand man. Why, just yesterday he kissed us on both cheeks!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Applewhite posted:

I'm sure we can keep his crapulence down if we treat him with trust and respect. He seems like the type of croc who could be our right-hand man. Why, just yesterday he kissed us on both cheeks!

His interpretation of "trust and respect" would be giving him total control over the entire ship! He'll be the death of us all if we don't keep him on a tight leash!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pyroi posted:

His interpretation of "trust and respect" would be giving him total control over the entire ship! He'll be the death of us all if we don't keep him on a tight leash!

Relax, he's all the way down in the engine room. What harm could he do us there? It's not like he's up on the bridge.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Applewhite posted:

Relax, he's all the way down in the engine room. What harm could he do us there? It's not like he's up on the bridge.

Think about that for a second.

HE HAS CONTROL OVER OUR ENGINES!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pyroi posted:

Think about that for a second.

HE HAS CONTROL OVER OUR ENGINES!

Exactly. Those things we use to run away from danger? It's in his best interest to keep them in peak condition.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Let's send Benedict to the Disco Alliance ship alone, but carrying a binary SuGaBa interface as an emissary of the Caimans. Nothing will show those robots that we get it more than a way of talking to our computer. Also, we can't afford to be enemies or SuGaBa might turn on us.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

spectres of autism posted:

put their leader onscreen, have plover hovering above you ready to drop sunglasses on your head at a moments notice
Main Screen Turn On

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Invite them to PARRRRRTY

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Fire instantly our Gaton Torpedos and Ghaser Cannons, we won't get a better chance to kick them in their shiny metal balls. Put only the minimum in Shields in the first round, they can't make a good attack back because most of their Power is still in Engines. If they survive our initial attack, put half of our Power in Shields in following rounds.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
FIRE!

BadgerSeat
Feb 28, 2006

Would you like to see where I keep my severed heads?
Fire then hail then fire again

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Use maser to put on a disco light show in the microwave wavelength region

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

5 for hailing and 4 for letting them have it.

If we do go into the fight there are a few ways to handle it:you let me run it entirely and put up with the consequences (like last time), agree a general strategy ITT and let me handle it, or I can run through the battle on an IRC channel on SynIRC if whoever's around wants to nerd it out.

Let me know which of the options you prefer and I'll do that from now on. There will probably be at least two or three more starship fights in this game so I'll stick with whichever option we pick now.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If we hail them we should first come up with some good paradoxes to ask when they answer.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

If we hail them we should first come up with some good paradoxes to ask when they answer.

ha, i was thinking about the same thing

Gilganixon posted:

5 for hailing and 4 for letting them have it.

If we do go into the fight there are a few ways to handle it:you let me run it entirely and put up with the consequences (like last time), agree a general strategy ITT and let me handle it, or I can run through the battle on an IRC channel on SynIRC if whoever's around wants to nerd it out.

Let me know which of the options you prefer and I'll do that from now on. There will probably be at least two or three more starship fights in this game so I'll stick with whichever option we pick now.

if we're going to have only a few starship fights, then i think that we could vote for the tactics itt

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If we have a strong first move advantage then kill them. Otherwise hail them and inform them about the evil aliens.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Can SuGaBa embed a virus in our hail? How does our super computer stack up against a race of sentient machines?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

If we have a strong first move advantage then kill them. Otherwise hail them and inform them about the evil aliens.

All the main species' ships are roughly equal (as far as combat ability, anyway). We don't have a strong advantage or disadvantage here.

Can SuGaBa embed a virus in our hail? How does our super computer stack up against a race of sentient machines?

Probably could but not immediately. The Caiman ship is far and away the most advanced in the game, the Disco Alliance ship is the oldest and crummiest. The robots are malfunctioning to the point where they behave more like humans than anything else.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 24, 2015

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hail and ask them "what is love". If they start dancing "baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more" then fire all weapons simultaneously while they are distracted. Spin up the engines and advance while firing. If we start to lose I want to already be at ramming speed.

Or we could try the Picard Maneuver TM. Make a short jump and pop back into normal space right in front of them.

In any case some kind of treachery is needed. We aren't humans we can't just barge in and kill everyone we meet.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 24, 2015

assemblyrequired
Jul 14, 2014

Gilganixon posted:

Probably could but not immediately. The Caiman ship is far and away the most advanced in the game, the Disco Alliance ship is the oldest and crummiest. The robots are malfunctioning to the point where they behave more like humans than anything else.

Well that obviously means we need SuGaBa to get cracking on a shutdown virus (or one that makes them loyal to us), and we need to stall like our life depends on it because it kinda does. Maybe invite some aboard for an arms trade (which we could just take back after) or a fanciful space tea party?
e: added context

assemblyrequired fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 24, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Sleep, Data. Sleeeep.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

assemblyrequired posted:

Well that obviously means we need SuGaBa to get cracking on a shutdown virus (or one that makes them loyal to us), and we need to stall like our life depends on it because it kinda does. Maybe invite some aboard for an arms trade (which we could just take back after) or a fanciful space tea party?
e: added context

Yes this. Hail them, throw out logic paradoxes, invite them over for a disco dance off, do SOMETHING to distract them while SuGaBa formulates a plan. By deceit or by force we want that disco ship under our control. They will work for us or they will never leave this system.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
maybe they would join us if we simply asked them to

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sudo ./give_us_all_your_stuff.sh

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Hail and present them with all the amazing logical paradoxes our crocodilian brains can conceive. (ok maybe ask the valet)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Hail them and invite them to a dance party. Send over some dancing slaves to entertain them and then fire all weapons.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Hail them and invite them to a dance party. Send over some dancing slaves to entertain them and then fire all weapons.

This

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We can dance right? Like we may be fat lazy reptiles but our culture is known thru out the galaxy for being party animals. Humiliating other species with a dance off might be perfectly normal for us. Nothing suspicious here no sir.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
send them an ascii goatse

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Let's try to be civil here, it's likely their homeplanet was blown up to, perhaps we can come to an arrangement. After all, we know the aliens have at least two ships, so if we team up with the Disco Alliance, we can at least match them in number, if not in firepower.

Also their ship will make a great meatshield if we move too slowly and get caught by the aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Well is defeating the aliens even possible? Or is the game all about reaching the void?

• Locked thread