Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
You're right, I don't think Garak showed any romantic interest in Ziyal at all. He just enjoyed the treat of lunching with an attentive half Cardassian gal pal and together they could wile away the afternoon appreciating Cardassian literature and maybe even talking a little bit about Cardassia with someone who wasn't a skeptical Starfleet doctor.

I think even Garak was a bit embarrassed that Ziyal hadn't yet figured out he had zero sexual interest in her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Getting high is how he deals with the pain and misery of being Miles O'Brien.

That was a great thread. Too bad O'Brien killed the sequel for its bread.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Figaro posted:

You're right, I don't think Garak showed any romantic interest in Ziyal at all. He just enjoyed the treat of lunching with an attentive half Cardassian gal pal and together they could wile away the afternoon appreciating Cardassian literature and maybe even talking a little bit about Cardassia with someone who wasn't a skeptical Starfleet doctor.

I think even Garak was a bit embarrassed that Ziyal hadn't yet figured out he had zero sexual interest in her.

Dukat certainly thought he did even though he spent all his time saying "girl, I'm bad news, stay away from me"

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Garak is too clever not to appreciate what an asset cultivating a friendship with Ziyal could be, especially with Dukat off station killing Klingons. He probably did use Ziyal primarily at the beginning to gain intel on Dukat and keep tabs on the situation back home, after all Ziyal was ridiculously naive and trusting for someone who'd spent her formative years in a Breen mining camp and she'd probably share everything she knew with Garak.

But Garak also started enjoyed her company and when you get down to it, he's the loneliest man on Deep Space Nine. Garak can be so charming when he wants to be, she probably never realized she was subtly being pumped for information.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It all would have ended with her dead body being blown out an airlock early one morning, dressed in a Dr. Bashir suit and clutching a nine-tailed whip

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

a good tumblr

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tujague posted:

It all would have ended with her dead body being blown out an airlock early one morning, dressed in a Dr. Bashir suit and clutching a nine-tailed whip

Nah man, do you know nothing about spies?

She would be found dead locked in a sports bag and Odo would declare it a case of suicide.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Figaro posted:

"She loved you." "Yes, and I could never quite figure out why."

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

garak never does anything for just one reason

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
IIRC Andrew Robinson always saw Garak as bisexual, so I think Garak is at least supposed to be attracted to Ziyal. Could it be possible that an otherwise-talented gay actor might have trouble pretending to be attracted to the opposite sex? :iiam:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

IIRC Andrew Robinson always saw Garak as bisexual, so I think Garak is at least supposed to be attracted to Ziyal. Could it be possible that an otherwise-talented gay actor might have trouble pretending to be attracted to the opposite sex? :iiam:

He presumably pretended pretty well to his still-wife then.

(That girl that visits old Jake in The Visitor was his daughter)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pththya-lyi posted:

quote:

I started out playing Garak as someone who doesn't have a defined sexuality. He's not gay, he's not straight, it's a non-issue for him. Basically his sexuality is inclusive. But – it's Star Trek and there were a couple of things working against that. One is that Americans really are very nervous about sexual ambiguity. Also, this is a family show, they have to keep it on the 'straight and narrow', so then I backed off from it. Originally, in that very first episode, I loved the man's absolute fearlessness about presenting himself to an attractive human being. The fact that the attractive human being is a man (Bashir) doesn't make any difference to him, but that was a little too sophisticated I think. For the most part, the writers supported the character beautifully, but in that area they just made a choice they didn't want to go there, and if they don't want to go there I can't, because the writing doesn't support it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So what we are saying is that Garak would have had a Tumblr account?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
No Garak actually still worked at his job despite all this

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Just watched a Season 4 Voyager episode titled Unforgettable. In this episode, Voyager saves a woman from a cloaked ship that was being attacked. The woman claims to have known everyone on the crew because she lived with them for 2 months. Nobody remembers because somehow her biology blocks long term memory in the brain. Her society is built around nobody knowing who they are. She was tracking down a stowaway that was trying to use Voyager to escape. She caught the stowaway and then placed a virus in Voyager's computers to erase every record of her being aboard. Nobody remembers anything and has no way to prove it. Instead of putting her on the brig, her and Chakotay pal around and rediscover their "love" for each other. Long story short, some of her people attack Voyager a couple times, then sneak on board and wipe her memory. Now she wants to go back.

Last scene basically goes like this: They're standing around the transport room and dude says, "Well Captain, we're very sorry about all this. We'll be taking her back to our world now. We've implanted a virus in your computer that will wipe all record of our being here." Then they beam out.

The audience doesn't get to know whether the computer was altered with or without Janeway's permission, but either scenario is pretty inexcusable. Sometimes people paint Janeway as a bit of a tyrant, but I like tyrant maniac Janeway a hell of a lot better than ... whatever that was.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The only thing I remember about that episode is that Chakotay starts writing things down so he won't forget. Considering it's never mentioned again I can only assume that when he did read what he wrote after he forgot, he must have put it down to bad e-pot/"spirit journey".

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

So what we are saying is that Garak would have had a Tumblr account?

He strikes me at the type to go out and do something rather than whine about other people being mean, so no

MikeJF posted:

He presumably pretended pretty well to his still-wife then.

(That girl that visits old Jake in The Visitor was his daughter)

He's still married as far as I know, so...

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 25, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Blazing Ownager posted:

He strikes me at the type to go out and do something rather than whine about other people being mean, so no

Except he totally would, but it would be a troll blog to distract people from what he's really doing. Like running a tailor shop.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Garak runs a fashion blog about foraging for ancient earth sofas in the space dump and turning them into stylish jumpsuits.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dicere posted:

horrible voyager episode

Man, that was Virginia Madsen. And they actually banged out some p good scenes.

:saddowns:

Garak directed it

Tujague fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 26, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dicere posted:

Just watched a Season 4 Voyager episode titled Unforgettable. In this episode, Voyager saves a woman from a cloaked ship that was being attacked. The woman claims to have known everyone on the crew because she lived with them for 2 months. Nobody remembers because somehow her biology blocks long term memory in the brain. Her society is built around nobody knowing who they are. She was tracking down a stowaway that was trying to use Voyager to escape. She caught the stowaway and then placed a virus in Voyager's computers to erase every record of her being aboard. Nobody remembers anything and has no way to prove it. Instead of putting her on the brig, her and Chakotay pal around and rediscover their "love" for each other. Long story short, some of her people attack Voyager a couple times, then sneak on board and wipe her memory. Now she wants to go back.

Last scene basically goes like this: They're standing around the transport room and dude says, "Well Captain, we're very sorry about all this. We'll be taking her back to our world now. We've implanted a virus in your computer that will wipe all record of our being here." Then they beam out.

The audience doesn't get to know whether the computer was altered with or without Janeway's permission, but either scenario is pretty inexcusable. Sometimes people paint Janeway as a bit of a tyrant, but I like tyrant maniac Janeway a hell of a lot better than ... whatever that was.

Waching this episode because you bring it up. Harry starts the episode with technobabble and Chakotay will have none of that poo poo.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Met posted:

Waching this episode because you bring it up. Harry starts the episode with technobabble and Chakotay will have none of that poo poo.

Kim: The radar isn't working because Seven of Nine is still doinking with it

Chakotay: I dunno, just fix it. Or fix it when it's ready. Dumbass.

Kim: I don't have permission to order the computer to fix stuff.

Chakotay: Well, just ask Seven of Nine to tell you when she'll be finished!

Kim: I did. She pulled rank on me and cited my low information clearance.

Chakotay: WELL BLOW YOURSELF OUT A loving AIRLOCK I HAVE TO PORK VIRGINIA MADSEN

Kim: I HAVE TO ASK NEELIX TO OPEN THE AIRLOCK FOR ME

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I happened to catch the end of Preemptive Strike on BBCA yesterday and in it, Ro Laren defected from Starfleet to join the Maquis. But for some reason, she shows up on DS9 in ST Online. Which begs the question ... Why the gently caress can't Star Trek people just let go and move on?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Because there is a hard ceiling on the number of fake restaurants that can exist. If you want to do anything meaningful its either esoteric fields of research or joining a terraforming crew. Starfleet has a virtual lock on every other substantial profession, diplomatic responsibility and humanitarian effort. Its what gave rise to the common earther phrase of "You can either beat your meat or join the starship fleet"

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

No, I mean, characters leave the show and then end up coming back because the fans or the producers can't abide change.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Actually now that I think about it, that episode was dildos. Voyager runs into Unheard Of Civilization That Can Make Spaceships Very Close To Voyager # 3704, which appears to be made up of plot-driving contrivances (People forget them! Computers can't scan them! They can't talk about it!), then it turns out that two of these people recently snuck onboard Voyager to clown around in poorly-lit flashbacks.

Okay, the aliens don't show up on security cameras, but wasn't there some record of, I dunno, Chakotay talking to ghosts in the cargo bay or grunting and thrusting his pelvis into a blurry figure in his quarters? Or the captain of the ship having a diplomatic meeting with an empty chair? No? Well, then to wrap up the episode a third guy sneaks onto the ship and hoses the lady down wth a literal *MEMORY ERASING RAY*

Which causes Chakotay to pull his phaser and say "Drop it!" but it was Toooooo Laaaaaate

There were good scenes between Virginia Madsen and Chakotay but the poo poo stringing them together was so dumb it ruined everything

Edit: Okay when I write it out like this it sounds like a TOS episode, except that was like 50 years ago, and it would have been either Kirk or Sulu who had fallen in love with the alien, and Spock and/or McCoy would have argued against the whole thing from square one, and it would have been better

Tujague fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 26, 2015

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tujague posted:

Actually now that I think about it, that episode was dildos. Voyager runs into Unheard Of Civilization That Can Make Spaceships Very Close To Voyager # 3704, which appears to be made up of plot-driving contrivances (People forget them! Computers can't scan them! They can't talk about it!), then it turns out that two of these people recently snuck onboard Voyager to clown around in poorly-lit flashbacks.

Okay, the aliens don't show up on security cameras, but wasn't there some record of, I dunno, Chakotay talking to ghosts in the cargo bay or grunting and thrusting his pelvis into a blurry figure in his quarters? Or the captain of the ship having a diplomatic meeting with an empty chair? No? Well, then to wrap up the episode a third guy sneaks onto the ship and hoses the lady down wth a literal *MEMORY ERASING RAY*

Which causes Chakotay to pull his phaser and say "Drop it!" but it was Toooooo Laaaaaate

There were good scenes between Virginia Madsen and Chakotay but the poo poo stringing them together was so dumb it ruined everything

Edit: Okay when I write it out like this it sounds like a TOS episode, except that was like 50 years ago, and it would have been either Kirk or Sulu who had fallen in love with the alien, and Spock and/or McCoy would have argued against the whole thing from square one, and it would have been better

This reminds me of the episode where Kirk gets kidnapped by weirdo lady from the planet where they can whip up a nearly perfect replica of the Enterprise overnight, but can't invent condoms to solve their Malthusian catastrophe

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

skasion posted:

This reminds me of the episode where Kirk gets kidnapped by weirdo lady from the planet where they can whip up a nearly perfect replica of the Enterprise overnight, but can't invent condoms to solve their Malthusian catastrophe

That's because they had super sperm that broke through condoms or something. And vasectomies didn't work because they were supposed to have regen powers.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tujague posted:

I know Takei is pretty popular these days, but when was Sulu ever involved in the main plot as main character?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

My Q-Face posted:

I know Takei is pretty popular these days, but when was Sulu ever involved in the main plot as main character?

He steals the show in Naked Time and he's the one who's gonna die if they can't fix the transporter in Enemy Within. His turn in Mirror Mirror is pretty good as well. Can't recall that he ever did any serious romantic lead stuff though, this was the 60s.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That's because they had super sperm that broke through condoms or something. And vasectomies didn't work because they were supposed to have regen powers.

pulling out: an advanced 24th century technology

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

blowfish posted:

pulling out: an advanced 24th century technology

By the 24th century they can just use holocock.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
the episope when Jean-Luc Picard wears no underwear and you can clearly see his dick swinging back and forth.

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.
so many dicks on trek.

ffs you see jake sisko dick when he's like 14 :gonk:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

I Love Jesus posted:

so many dicks on aatrek.

ffs you see jake sisko dick when he's like 14 :gonk:

FYP

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

HAMMOCK TIME

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

doodlebugs posted:

the episope when Jean-Luc Picard wears no underwear and you can clearly see his dick swinging back and forth.

which uhhhh which one is that. a friend wants to know, for a project

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
every episode where he wears his mini silk robe in HD, the full list is on memory alpha under Penis_(Human)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sinding Johansson posted:

every episode where he wears his mini silk robe in HD, the full list is on memory alpha under Penis_(Human)

I bet it had timestamps and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tujague fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 28, 2015

• Locked thread