Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

UndyingShadow posted:

Complicated configuration.

The wizard setup is super easy now. The only issue I had was using the wrong password in bridge mode...

I'm pissed I bought to early otherwise I'd get the edge router X and the Unifi ac ap right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Yeah.. Ubiquity stuff is stupid easy to setup for just basic home use. They just have the ability to do much, much more through command line.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Prescription Combs posted:

Yeah.. Ubiquity stuff is stupid easy to setup for just basic home use. They just have the ability to do much, much more through command line.

The ubiquity gui interface is easier than most home routers. Least I think so. Mikrotik, nope.. still not anywhere close to hard.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Those Unifi AP's own. A customer had one and of course we use Sonicpoint so we deployed them and their wireless went to poo poo. Put back the Unifi AP and added two more and it's night and day. You also can't beat the price.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'll say it one more time, I've installed a bunch of Mikrotiks and they all have performed flawlessly since installation. No reboots, no odd wifi cut outs, no bandwidth problems. SO nice. :D

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Popehoist posted:

I use a streaming site to watch sports events and over the past couple months I've noticed within 45-60 minutes of tuning in the stream will start skipping, it slowly gets worse and worse and the audio begins to skip as well until eventually it becomes unwatchable. I've tried connecting to the site via the flash player, direct streaming to media player classic, and onto my phone/tablet but it doesn't change a thing, so I'm suspecting my ISP is throttling me. I'm fairly sure it's not the site because it works fine if I switch to 3G.

When I run speedtest I can pull down my full 150Mb/s despite seeing the stream completely die in the next tab over, so they're clearly specifically picking out and throttling just the stream. Do I have any options to avoid this? Would a VPN or something work for me here?

Well as long as your vpn connection is fast enough and your isp doesn't throttle that traffic vpn should work.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached peak antenna.

I didn't know Brackmann and the cybrans worked for Asus.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

MikroTik routers sound awesome from their Amazon reviews. It doesn't look like they offer ac wireless though; how would you set that up? Daisy chain it to a wireless router?

Seems like adding layers on the router cake may make things too confusing to bother with.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DNK posted:

MikroTik routers sound awesome from their Amazon reviews. It doesn't look like they offer ac wireless though; how would you set that up? Daisy chain it to a wireless router?

Seems like adding layers on the router cake may make things too confusing to bother with.

They are coming out with some home/business AC units this year but yeah right now they have outdoor antenna's which are AC, one has a 23 deg antenna and the other has a 90.. the 90 would work for a house but again, these are not really the main uses. But to answer your question, adding an Ubiquity AC unit on a Mikrotik router would work great and gives you more flexibility in the future. So yeah just plug the AP into the router and done.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Speaking of Ubiquity, how is their routing stuff? I'm kind of preplanning some home networking stuff, and noticed they put out a lot of decent stuff. Might get their cameras and NVR as well. Anyone have experience with it?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gothmog1065 posted:

Speaking of Ubiquity, how is their routing stuff? I'm kind of preplanning some home networking stuff, and noticed they put out a lot of decent stuff. Might get their cameras and NVR as well. Anyone have experience with it?

Their routing stuff is excellent. I have heard bad things about the cameras but I don't know first hand.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

StealthArcher posted:

I didn't know Brackmann and the cybrans worked for Asus.

What they don't tell you is that every Asus router is actually powered by a small brain floating in a jar instead of a normal CPU.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

DNK posted:

I would pair a MikroTik router with a Unifi AP of some sort. The UAP-AC-Lite and UAP-AC-Pro are both nice. Personally I like having my router and AP be separate devices as it lets me upgrade one or the other as needed. Its also nice to be able to place my APs for optimal coverage without needing to worry about where I can put the cable modem.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I enabled jumbo frames on my ethernet connection because I could. Now I'm noticing that any torrent upload stays consistently at or very near the cap I set (500 kB/s) when it struggled to keep up a decent speed without jumbo frames. Are these things related or is it just coincidence?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Panty Saluter posted:

I enabled jumbo frames on my ethernet connection because I could. Now I'm noticing that any torrent upload stays consistently at or very near the cap I set (500 kB/s) when it struggled to keep up a decent speed without jumbo frames. Are these things related or is it just coincidence?

What kind of filthy casual torrents from his personal pc

Enabling jumbo frames should have nothing to do with it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
A filthy casual who doesn't torrent enough to pay for a seedbox :colbert:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Panty Saluter posted:

99% coincidence. The internet doesn't transfer jumbo frames. I've tested.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Ah well. It doesn't seem to hurt anything so I'll leave it alone. Probably won't hurt Plex performance or the odd local file transfer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
jumbo frames actually fucks up plex.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Been OK so far, but I've only been streaming music recently. You'd think jumbo frames would be good for big files but here we are.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Panty Saluter posted:

Been OK so far, but I've only been streaming music recently. You'd think jumbo frames would be good for big files but here we are.

It's great for large files

... across your LAN.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

99% coincidence. The internet doesn't transfer jumbo frames. I've tested.

Sure it does! With just a little reassembly at the end you can transfer whatever size* frame you want!

*1500 bytes at a time.** :v:

**Actual payload size may vary based on weather conditions, time of day, VPN tags, MPLS tags, and TAG tags.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Well maybe some weak link in his network has an abysmal cpu and fastpath can better handle jumbo sized frames which of course get clamped and fragmented later up the stream

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/products/cable/wireless-gateways/ddw36c-advanced-wireless-gateway

I'm using of these sacks of poo poo so maybe :v:

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

bobbilljim posted:

Well maybe some weak link in his network has an abysmal cpu and fastpath can better handle jumbo sized frames which of course get clamped and fragmented later up the stream

Real routing hardware is terrible at dealing with anything larger than 1500 byte frames. When power, space, and cooling need to be used as efficiently as possible to push as many packets as possible as fast as possible the answer is hardware ASICs that do literally all of the packet forwarding without any packet ever touching the CPU. As a result real routers have rather low power CPUs that are terrible for doing anything other than BGP updates and maintaining the running config of the device in memory so the ASICs can be updated with new rules as needed. The moment frames get larger than 1500 bytes the ASICs can't be used due to hardware constraints and you have to fall back to the main CPU which causes throughput to plummet. As a result most internet routers just drop frames that are larger than 1500 bytes.

So if you want to talk to the internet, stick to 1500 byte frames. Save the jumbos for the LAN where you don't need a multi gigahertz CPU to fragment and reassemble them at a reasonable speed while hoping that none of the fragments got dropped in transit triggering a TCP re-transmit.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Are there routers/network adapters that intelligently detect jumbo frames and only use them on LAN? Or ethernet adapters that won't use them (even when enabled) for WAN traffic?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Generally you can set the MTU on a per interface basis so you could have g0/0 and g0/1 set to an MTU of 9000 while g0/2 could bet set to an MTU of 1500. (Using Cisco interface naming conventions here.) This would allow jumbo frames to pass between g0/0 and g0/1 but force the router to either do fragmentation of or drop any jumbo frames that tried to exit g0/2 depending on how you configured things and whether or not you want to allow the router to send ICMP MTU exceeded messages.

That is enterprise gear though. Consumer grade stuff doesn't let you get so granular with the settings. Client NICs either have jumbo frames enabled or they don't. Jumbo frames are a layer 2 thing so they are inherently unaware of layer 3 things like IP addresses and subnet ranges. You can't really convert between jumbo frames and normal frames without a large CPU usage hit so once a jumbo frame is made you just have to hope that everything between the source and the destination supports jumbo frames. The only place you could switch between jumbo and normal frames would be on the client PCs that initially generate the frames. But I have never heard of any NIC driver that was able to look at the destination IP of a packet being assembled and then dynamically alter the frame size based on that. Its much easier to just do hardware offloading of the TCP header and checksum generation and just send 1500 byte frames at silly rates. Any PC made in the past 10 years can easily saturate a gigabit link with 1500 byte frames and any PC from the past 5 years can do the same with a 10 gigabit link assuming it can generate or read the data that it wants to send fast enough.

Jumbo frames are an artifact from a time when CPUs weren't powerful enough to generate TCP headers and checksums fast enough to allow a PC to push enough 1500 byte frames down the wire per second to saturate a gigabit link. These days the only real advantage they offer is lower TCP protocol overhead and unless you are doing high speed stock trading, running a massive Oracle database, or collecting data from a particle accelerator the small amount of extra performance jumbo frames offer just isn't something you are going to notice. Partly because 1500 byte frames can be sent at silly rates on modern hardware and partly because modern OS's do a very good job of dynamic TCP window sizing, which provides almost as much reduction in TCP protocol overhead as jumbo frames do.

UDP traffic doesn't benefit from jumbo frames at all on modern hardware as UDP just doesn't have the protocol overhead that TCP does. Games, VoIP, Skype, and many other time sensitive things use UDP.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 23, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CuddleChunks posted:

Sure it does! With just a little reassembly at the end you can transfer whatever size* frame you want!

*1500 bytes at a time.** :v:

**Actual payload size may vary based on weather conditions, time of day, VPN tags, MPLS tags, and TAG tags.

I am triggered

Antillie posted:

Jumbo frames are an artifact from a time when CPUs weren't powerful enough to generate TCP headers and checksums fast enough to allow a PC to push enough 1500 byte frames down the wire per second to saturate a gigabit link. *etc*

True. Very good information, though there's something to be said about throughput lost to inter-packet latency... which is easily overcome by using multiple streams. And of course none of this really matters until you get internet connections speeds above 100mbps at which point I have to question who you're expecting to allow you to transfer that fast to/from.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 23, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Interesting. Explains why they were disabled by default...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Recommendations for a small cheap 4 or 8 port gigabit switch that is VLAN aware? I doubt VLAN and CHEAP go in the same sentence but I guess I'll check in case you have any diamonds in the rough.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Recommendations for a small cheap 4 or 8 port gigabit switch that is VLAN aware? I doubt VLAN and CHEAP go in the same sentence but I guess I'll check in case you have any diamonds in the rough.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-8-Port-Gigabit-Tag-Based/dp/B00K4DS5KU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443030188&sr=8-1&keywords=8port+vlan

$23?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CuddleChunks posted:

CrazyLittle posted:

I am triggered

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, that was easy. Thanks.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Are there any end-user network/traffic monitoring tools out there? I've been getting absolutely absurd levels of latency at intermittent periods all week, and I'm trying to narrow down possible causes. Google suggested Wireshark, but to call that program intimidating would be an understatement.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bieeardo posted:

Are there any end-user network/traffic monitoring tools out there? I've been getting absolutely absurd levels of latency at intermittent periods all week, and I'm trying to narrow down possible causes. Google suggested Wireshark, but to call that program intimidating would be an understatement.

I came into this thread to ask the same question.

I've been having the same problem, but with only a 1.5mB [strike]pipe[/strike] straw, I want to make sure it's not some program updating in the background.
plus, the wifi connected other PC>

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bieeardo posted:

Johnny Aztec posted:

I came into this thread to ask the same question.

I've been having the same problem, but with only a 1.5mB [strike]pipe[/strike] straw, I want to make sure it's not some program updating in the background.
plus, the wifi connected other PC>

I have a program like this on my work laptop, I will double check the name when I'm in the office tomorrow. If I don't post, one of you PM me about it?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Networx on windows is pretty useful https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

If you're on windows 10, task manager can show per application usage under the Users tab.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

phosdex posted:

If you're on windows 10, task manager can show per application usage under the Users tab.

Windows 7 displays the same information in resource monitor under the network tab.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
NetBalancer is the app I used. The site seems different and kind of hinky now though https://seriousbit.com/netbalancer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I've used cFosSpeed in the past and noticed an immediate, huge improvement in ping times. It works best if you have one huge throughput machine rather than many equal throughput devices.

You can install the software on multiple Windows computers on the same network and it will coordinate data transfer (I.e. You have a torrent box and a gaming box but want higher network priority for gaming traffic than torrent traffic).

It allows for you to keep your bandwidth near capped and still hit those sub 30ms pings. Pretty cool software.