Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Danger posted:

The best Simmons is about Obama's Muslim Caliphate taking over the U.S.

Is it as nuts as Tom Kratman's Caliphate? Because I can read that for free.

quote:

Demography is destiny. In the 22nd century European deathbed demographics have turned the continent over to the more fertile Moslems. Atheism in Europe has been exterminated. Homosexuals are hanged, stoned or crucified. Such Christians as remain are relegated to dhimmitude, a form of second class citizenship. They are denied arms, denied civil rights, denied a voice, and specially taxed via the Koranic yizya. Their sons are taken as conscripted soldiers while their daughters are subject to the depredations of the continent's new masters.

In that world, Petra, a German girl sold into prostitution as a slave at the age of nine to pay her family's yizya, dreams of escape. Unlike most girls of the day, Petra can read. And in her only real possession, her grandmother's diary, a diary detailing the fall of European civilization, Petra has learned of a magic place across the sea: America.

But it will take more than magic to free Petra and Europe from their bonds; it will take guns, superior technology, and a reborn spirit of freedom.

guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Almost no one is as crazy as Kratman.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, apart from his fellow neo-nazis.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

ravenkult posted:

Do you trawl all the threads to defend racists and bigots or just the Book Barn?

Not saying Simmons is either, but holy poo poo if that character isn't cartoonishly evil.

a) I was poking fun at the rah rah people have over writing versus author's prejudices, and b) I don't trawl to defend, I opportunistically poke fun at those uppity people.

And I pretty much only frequent the Book Barn so its a numbers game.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You're the worst.

thehomemaster posted:

I opportunistically poke fun at those uppity people.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I dunno, Hitler was pretty bad.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I really enjoy how, in the name of "opportunistically poking fun at uppity people", you've got people pretending that Dan Simmons is capable of writing an ending to a story, or of continuing stories beyond their halfway point.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Simmons is a neo-con loon and H.P. Lovecraft was an drat dirty racist and a pretty lovely writer. There I said it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
wow that really took some bravery

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The Terror has me in some kind of trance, where I read 300 pages but then my reader says it's actually only been 10.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Try to count how many times he lists everyone who's died and by what means they passed. I'm honestly curious.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Since we're talking about Dan Simmons, anyone read Carrion Comfort? It looks interesting based on the back cover blurb.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I thought it was pretty unremarkable. Don't remember much about the story other than something involving vampires maybe?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Rat posted:

I thought it was pretty unremarkable. Don't remember much about the story other than something involving vampires maybe?

Mildly interesting twist on vampire mythology. If the blurb piques your interest, it's probably worth a shot. But as you say, it's not all that memorable.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

ravenkult posted:

The Terror has me in some kind of trance, where I read 300 pages but then my reader says it's actually only been 10.

Non-euclidean page counts. :spooky: I gave up halfway through. May get back to it someday, but doubtful.

On another note, I'm halfway through Annihilation Score and am thinking that it would be great short story had it not taken place in the Laundry universe. I kind of liked Mo previous to this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My main issue with that book is how little of it actually turns out to be relevant to anything; not to mention the POV switch to Mo seems really unnecessary and badly executed. A lot of people who liked her before that book apparently stopped.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

michel houellebecq posted:

Si le style de Lovecraft est déplorable, on peut gaiement conclure que le style n’a, en littérarure, pas la moindre importance; et passer à autre chose.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'd probably rather hang out with Lovecraft than Houellebecq, because while ol' HPL was a racist nerd, at least he wasn't a racist pedo nerd.

Mind you, I'd rather hang out with neither of them.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

My main issue with that book is how little of it actually turns out to be relevant to anything; not to mention the POV switch to Mo seems really unnecessary and badly executed. A lot of people who liked her before that book apparently stopped.

I didn't mind it, but I also thought the insane power creep of Bob means that we're in a bit of a corner as far as where his story goes. I mean, is the next book going to be him running around putting out all of the fires that the death of Angleton has started? My only real critique is that we got very little in the way of Mo BEFORE this book, so suddenly being all Mo and Bob is ultimately a footnote to the goings on of Annihilation Score.

The fallout of Score is the death of the Zahn Violin and Mo has made, and been kicked out of, a civil service for the use and apprehension of meta-humans, right? And Mo is on track to become an Auditor at some point in the not too distant future?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'd probably rather hang out with Lovecraft than Houellebecq, because while ol' HPL was a racist nerd, at least he wasn't a racist pedo nerd.

Mind you, I'd rather hang out with neither of them.

how many great authors would be fun to hang out with though

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Clipperton posted:

True, true.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In an effort to swing this thread back to something vaguely interesting...

The latest Humble Book Bundle is full of Phillip K. Dick Award winners. Now, most of them are sci-fi and fantasy, but I want to draw your attention to The Cipher by Kathe Koja because it is really loving weird!. The basic premise is that a guy and his friend find a mysterious hole in a utility room in his apartment building and start experimenting with it.

Things get very weird, very fast, but not necessarily in the ways you might thing. For one thing, and I'll spoil this even though it's something that doesn't happen, no one goes spelunking in the mystery hole, which honestly is a drastic shift away from the usual genre trope. The book isn't particularly scary (which is fine, horror is not required for weird fiction), but I think a lot of folks that post in here will like it. If you don't want to buy the bundle, it's available on Kindle for like three bucks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

The latest Humble Book Bundle is full of Phillip K. Dick Award winners. Now, most of them are sci-fi and fantasy, but I want to draw your attention to The Cipher by Kathe Koja because it is really loving weird!. The basic premise is that a guy and his friend find a mysterious hole in a utility room in his apartment building and start experimenting with it.

Sold! I don't even need to hear more.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Clipperton posted:

I really wish I could travel through time and meet Robert E. Howard, but he wasn't "great" in the sense that his stories have a lot of literary merit. He just wrote a lot of fun stories. :allears:

("The Worms of the Earth" is pure pulpy cosmic horror goodness)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Things get very weird, very fast, but not necessarily in the ways you might thing. For one thing, and I'll spoil this even though it's something that doesn't happen, no one goes spelunking in the mystery hole, which honestly is a drastic shift away from the usual genre trope. The book isn't particularly scary (which is fine, horror is not required for weird fiction), but I think a lot of folks that post in here will like it. If you don't want to buy the bundle, it's available on Kindle for like three bucks.

Just to clarify, it looks like this is the latest Story Bundle, not the Humble Book Bundle. The current Humble Book Bundle is banned comics.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Clipperton posted:

It takes a certain kind of person to lock yourself up alone in a room and imagine onto paper/a screen for months on end. Depression and social anxiety are very common.

With that said, I'd have loved to hang out with Kurt Vonnegut. Sure, he doesn't have the liver-busting party-animal power of Hemingway or Bukowski, but there such essential warmth and humanity in his work. He'd have been fun. Him or William Gibson, who never fails to astound me with how much utterly mad crap he knows about.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
gibson these days looks like he has the worst case of old-person-smell ever (the peripheral was great though)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Clipperton posted:

Lucius Apuleius.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

mdemone posted:

Mildly interesting twist on vampire mythology. If the blurb piques your interest, it's probably worth a shot. But as you say, it's not all that memorable.

The title was the best thing about that book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Clipperton posted:

a lot of the substance abusers might have been fun in small doses

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Effectronica posted:

Lucius Apuleius.

Petronius Arbiter (no homo)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neurosis posted:

a lot of the substance abusers might have been fun in small doses

Aren't small doses exactly what you wouldn't get with them, though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clipperton posted:

Is it as nuts as Tom Kratman's Caliphate? Because I can read that for free.

guns

It never fails to terrify me that Kratman was Director (Rule of Law) for the Peacekeeping and Stability Operations Institute for the US Army War College. I mean, how does one job description have so much multilayered :stonk: in it?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hunter Thompson - get high and threaten to shoot you
William Burroughs - get high and actually shoot you
Norman Mailer - get drunk and fight you
Arthur Koestler - rape you
George Orwell - bad breath
Ernest Hemingway - cat-pee smell
Arthur Conan Doyle - would probably talk about fairies all the time
Neil Gaiman - would definitely talk about fairies all the time

idk a bit of pathological racism is starting to look pretty good

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Lovecraft would be amazing to hang out with. Watching him grow more and more horrified as you described American society and how we treat one another, the fact that most people faced the bubbling nothingingness at the core of reality shrugged and kept on keeping on, and topping it off with Obama? It's us, we're Nyarlothotep.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm actually certain you could show Lovecraft a picture of Eva Mendez and he'd rescind his racist ways instantly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm actually certain you could show Lovecraft a picture of Eva Mendez and he'd rescind his racist ways instantly.

Nah, wouldn't work. Go for a really sexy piece of African architecture instead.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
The Penguin Classics reprint of Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe will be out on the 6th, just in time for some October/Halloween themed reading.

I bought Teatro Grottesco a while back since it was one of the few works of his not out of print and exorbitantly priced and really enjoyed it. For the most part the stories were fantastic and creepy so I have high hopes for this one :spooky:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ramadu posted:

So I grabbed this based on this and I'm like 10 chapters in and my impression is "Oh my god this is the most British thing I've ever read". Like some of the slang and sentences are words that are English, I can tell, but they are put together in some weird rear end ways. Pretty cool scenes when she reaches the Red House though, that was really well done with the eyes and other stuff.

What stood out to you as being super British? I mean being British i may have just not noticed it but I didn't notice it being full of bewildering to outsiders slang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Geokinesis posted:

What stood out to you as being super British? I mean being British i may have just not noticed it but I didn't notice it being full of bewildering to outsiders slang.
kerb