Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Why yes, I am secretly a 14 year old boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

New Knitty?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Peppercat posted:

New Knitty?

I might modify Rail Yard a bit for my tastes (different collar/buttonband, remove front cables). I could use another bulky weight cardigan if this winter is anything like the last.

I do genuinely like the Sticky Note sweater and might make that for my husband. I might make one for me, too! Then we can wear matching sweaters; truly every couple's dream.

effika fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 2, 2015

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Peppercat posted:

New Knitty?

I was just looking yesterday for a pair of gloves to knit and the Candy Kane gloves were one of t he first options. I kinda like them. But I've never knit a pair of gloves before, so I have nothing to compare the pattern to.

Speaking of, looking for a good beginning glove pattern that has some interesting element to it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Knotty Gloves

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Lovelovelove her designs. Such a shame that she isn't doing them anymore.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

BBC article about the last person to make sea silk: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33691781

She doesn't sell it though :sigh:

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Perfect! Thanks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

a friendly penguin posted:

Perfect! Thanks.
It's perfect for knitters who have some experience but are new to gloves, because the cables keep you from falling asleep, but they're all but over before the actual glove part begins. Come back if you have any questions, I'm kind of obsessed with gloves.

left_unattended posted:

Lovelovelove her designs. Such a shame that she isn't doing them anymore.
Agreed, I love her insanely complex cabled poo poo and I can't deal with her leaving. I'm just hoping she'll eventually come back with some new stuff and a handy donation link.

Sodium Chloride posted:

BBC article about the last person to make sea silk: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33691781

She doesn't sell it though :sigh:
This is really interesting, thanks! I had never even heard of real sea silk, only Claudia Handmaiden Sea Silk -- I didn't even know it was trying to mimic something else.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
So I was thinking that for my sister's birthday this year I'd make her the Girl Friday sweater, but altered in the same way that another goon in this thread did (with a longer body so it's not as frumpy). But this thread is over 200 pages now, I don't remember how long ago the other goon talked about their finished sweater (or what their name is), and I couldn't find it when I did a forums search. :(

Is that goon still hanging around the thread, and if so, would they mind letting me know what alterations they made to the pattern?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Look on Rav so you can find 20 modifications you might like, not just one. Don't forget you can search by stuff like helpfulness, likes, keywords ("longer" "lengthen" "alter" "mod"), colors.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

suddenly cats posted:

So I was thinking that for my sister's birthday this year I'd make her the Girl Friday sweater, but altered in the same way that another goon in this thread did (with a longer body so it's not as frumpy). But this thread is over 200 pages now, I don't remember how long ago the other goon talked about their finished sweater (or what their name is), and I couldn't find it when I did a forums search. :(

Is that goon still hanging around the thread, and if so, would they mind letting me know what alterations they made to the pattern?

It is me! Here is the project on Ravelry with all the mods listed. Let me know if you have any questions!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Perfect! Thanks so much!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Well, this may have relevance to the whole FibroFibers fiasco.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

It looks like quite a few of the people who supported her are filing complaints with the FTC and the Massachusetts Attorney General as she apparently used her Kickstarter funds to move from NC to MA.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Well, this may have relevance to the whole FibroFibers fiasco.

Google isn't helping me. What was the deal about FibroFibers?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Short version: Indie dyer does a Kickstarter, fails to deliver on promises. Backers get antsy. Dyer continues to fail to deliver. Backers get pissed.

Dinglehopper
Oct 27, 2010
Hi! I have a pretty basic question if you don't mind! I'm trying to knit a scarf in seed stitch, which I've never used before, using this pattern - http://www.poshpatternsblog.com/free-knitting-pattern-seed-stitch-scarf/

The Youtube tutorials I've looked at show seed stitch as starting on a knit stitch on row 1, then starting on a purl stitch on row 2 and alternating. To me this pattern looks like I should always start on knit, repeating the same row each time. Have I misunderstood it?

I'd appreciate someone's help, I've never got any more complicated than stockinette before!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

It would start on a purl stitch on row 2 if you had an odd number of stitches. Seed stitch is basically alternating k1, p1 and then on the next row you knit all the purls (as they appear to you from that side) and purl all the knits. So if you have an EVEN number of stitches, row 1 would be k1, p1 across, then row 2 would be p1, k1 across. If you have an odd number of stitches, it's k1, p1 across ending with a k1, and then p1, k2 across ending with a p1.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Wouldn't row 2 be k1, p1 across with an odd number of stitches? If you end on a knit you should start with a knit.

Dinglehopper
Oct 27, 2010

It would start on a purl stitch on row 2 if you had an odd number of stitches. Seed stitch is basically alternating k1, p1 and then on the next row you knit all the purls (as they appear to you from that side) and purl all the knits. So if you have an EVEN number of stitches, row 1 would be k1, p1 across, then row 2 would be p1, k1 across. If you have an odd number of stitches, it's k1, p1 across ending with a k1, and then p1, k2 across ending with a p1.

left_unattended posted:

Wouldn't row 2 be k1, p1 across with an odd number of stitches? If you end on a knit you should start with a knit.

OK, knit the purls and purl the knits makes sense. That'll help me keep track of which stitch I'm on thinking of it that way. I'm starting row 2 on k1 as I'm on an odd number of stitches.

Thanks for your quick replies, I was poised ready to start row 2 but didn't want to mess up quite so soon! :)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

left_unattended posted:

Yes, sorry, got myself confused. :saddowns: This is why I just read the knitting when doing anything knit-purl based.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Are any California goons planning to do Lambtown this year?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Lambtown sounds like a Mad Max event for knitting.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

Lambtown sounds like a Mad Max event for knitting.

That would be amazing
:swoon:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
WHO RUN LAMBTOWN?

WHO...RUN....LAMBTOWN?!

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I got to attend Stitches! Texas and took a Portuguese knitting class. Omg, this method is the best thing since sliced bread. Andrea Wong taught it and was a delightful individual. She also has a craftsy class with a 50% off discount on her website: http://andreawongknits.com/. CONVERT! CONVERT TO THE NEW WAY OF KNITTING!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
yay, actually finished a thing!

Whispers in Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Wow, congrats! That looks like it was a lot of work and it's a beautiful color. For you?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

a friendly penguin posted:

Wow, congrats! That looks like it was a lot of work and it's a beautiful color. For you?

Yeah, I'm not selfless enough to knit for anyone else. I want it ALL!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Yeah, I'm not selfless enough to knit for anyone else. I want it ALL!

That is awesome. Ultra Alpaca is great. I have some chunky laying around and I just want to sleep on a pile of it.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Wow! This is awesome!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm doin' a mystery knit along. I've never done it before. Should be...interesting!

I tried to make a gradient of beads. Might skip the lightest color and just get more of the darkest. It was much harder than I thought to put that many colors together!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I'm doin' a mystery knit along. I've never done it before. Should be...interesting!

I tried to make a gradient of beads. Might skip the lightest color and just get more of the darkest. It was much harder than I thought to put that many colors together!

Those colors! :syoon: Which MKAL is it, for the curious?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Those colors! :syoon: Which MKAL is it, for the curious?

Boo Knits VooDoo MKAL - still time to join! The first clue is out on Thursday. :)

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
We're throwing a baby shower for my coworker next week and I thought I'd knit something up for her. I don't feel that a week is enough time for me to make something that I'd be happy with, so I thought I'd give her a card with a "Good for 1 of..." handmade coupon thing in it. So far I'm thinking 1. Booties/cap 2. Sweater 3. Cap x 3 4. Booties x2 pair. I'm not looking into getting roped into a blanket, as she's a good 7+ months along already and I'm a terrible procrastinator. That being said, any other suggestions? I'm going to include a "giftcard instead please!" option too, in case she's not interested in having something handmade. Also, any good pattern ideas? I'm terrible at finding things I like on Ravelry. TIA!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ignore me if you guys are besties, but I would offer 1 hat or 1 pair of booties max. That takes plenty of time and it's more than enough to be a legit gift (especially if you're pitching in for a group present at work).

Have you tried Rav searching knit + newborn/baby/toddler + hat [or booties] and then sorting by popularity?

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Stupid question but I'm doing the same MKAL and I've never done beaded work before.... do I have to string a thousand beads before I even cast on? That will probably put me off ever doing it again after this, haha.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Stupid question but I'm doing the same MKAL and I've never done beaded work before.... do I have to string a thousand beads before I even cast on? That will probably put me off ever doing it again after this, haha.

You use a tiny crochet hook to take the stitch off the needle, pop the bead on, and then knit the stitch. Or at least that's how patterns I've used that called for beads did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Sex Hobbit posted:

You use a tiny crochet hook to take the stitch off the needle, pop the bead on, and then knit the stitch. Or at least that's how patterns I've used that called for beads did it.

Oh thank god.