Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nvidia is bringing the crazy.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/nvidia-crams-desktop-gtx-980-gpu-into-monster-17-inch-notebooks/

quote:

Nvidia has partnered with OEMs like Asus and MSI to cram the full desktop version of its high-end GTX 980 graphics card into laptops.

Nvidia has also managed to convince OEMs to let users overclock the GTX 980 too

Naturally, cramming a 165W GPU into a laptop chassis does come with some compromises. For starters, all the notebooks available at launch feature a 17-inch or larger screen, which—when coupled with the gargantuan external power supplies they require—mean that they're not exactly something you want to carry around with you too often. All the launch models also only come with 1080p displays, albeit displays that support Nvidia's variable refresh rate technology G-Sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Does it have retractable cooling fins and a steam dump for when it gets too hot?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

No. Get a 256gig SSD. You can add it yourself cheaply/easily to most laptops.

sarehu posted:

The real distinction is dual-core vs. quad-core, low voltage vs. standard voltage, and guess what, quad-core CPUs are twice as fast and that can matter! But you could easily be fine with a low voltage dual-core CPU, some i5.

So I'm following you guys' advice, and going for 8gb and a separate bigger SSD. I don't really need extra storage since I can just archive stuff onto an external if I need to. Right now I'm looking at a Lenovo Z51 on sale:

- 5th Generation Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (2.20GHz 1600MHz 3MB)
- 15.6" FHD LED Anti-Glare (1920x1080)
- 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz
- Intel® HD Graphics 5300
- 500GB 5400 RPM SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical

$750 plus $130 for a Samsung 250gb SSD that I will put in totals to around $1000 with taxes. I feel like this is decent for the price especially with a nicer screen. I think the sale is ending soon so I have to make a decision. Thoughts?

E: Found a Thinkpad L450 with similar specs and a 256 gb SSD already at $1000

Kritzkrieg Kop fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 23, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

When I was looking at laptops back in May the 900-series Y50 wasn't available in Canada either. I don't know, maybe Lenovo just offloads their older models on non-US customers?

The 960 equipped model is definitely available in Canada. When I got my product replacement I got one with a 960, even though I originally had an 860m.

(And to think I started with a DDR3 y410p! Bless product replacements)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Require More Fire posted:

So I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Dell Chromebook 13 but Toshiba just announced a refreshed Chromebook 2, with an i3 processor and a backlit keyboard. It's $100 less than the equivalent Dell model but I suspect the build quality isn't the same.

http://www.androidcentral.com/toshi...m_medium=dlvrit

I didn't think I would appreciate the backlit keyboard as much as I do. With a black keyboard it's almost mandatory after sunset. Pretty sure that's the first Chromebook with s backlit keyboard.

Pretty sure the Dell Chromebook 13 is a nicer overall laptop than the Toshiba, though.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
[Deleted drat mispost. Where's the friggin' delete button when you need it?]

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I see why people buy thinkpads. I took mine apart, and anything that doesn't have to be soldered to the mainboard isn't. I was able to find the fault quickly, and order a replacement part that will be almost assuredly be here tomorrow ($3 more than standard service) for $50 (camera/power button cable). From start to finish it took five minutes to find what part I needed and about 12 minutes to order it by phone.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Hadlock posted:

I didn't think I would appreciate the backlit keyboard as much as I do. With a black keyboard it's almost mandatory after sunset. Pretty sure that's the first Chromebook with s backlit keyboard.

Pretty sure the Dell Chromebook 13 is a nicer overall laptop than the Toshiba, though.

Yeah a backlit keyboard is a big thing for me as I tend to use the laptop a lot at night while I'm watching TV. The 2nd gen Pixel and the Dell Chromebook 13 both have backlit keyboards as well, though.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

~$1000 for a moderately outfitted ThinkPad x250 (i5-5200U, 1080p IPS screen, 8GB memory and a 180GB SSD) is a good deal, right? I'm thiiiiis close to pulling the trigger here, I just need to wait for my paycheck to come in.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I see why people buy thinkpads. I took mine apart, and anything that doesn't have to be soldered to the mainboard isn't. I was able to find the fault quickly, and order a replacement part that will be almost assuredly be here tomorrow ($3 more than standard service) for $50 (camera/power button cable). From start to finish it took five minutes to find what part I needed and about 12 minutes to order it by phone.
If yours was still under the generous retail warranty, you shouldn't even have had to pay for it. I had a key pop off my T430 keyboard and after a nice conversation with their CS rep they next-day-air'ed me an entire new keyboard (retail ~$150). Not even a discussion of "sir, did you break it?" Just "oh, it failed? Let me confirm your address and ship the part out." Lovely people.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hadlock posted:

Backlit keyboards are so very nice. The Dell, btw, will also be sporting a backlit keyboard on all models, apparently.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Philip Rivers posted:

~$1000 for a moderately outfitted ThinkPad x250 (i5-5200U, 1080p IPS screen, 8GB memory and a 180GB SSD) is a good deal, right? I'm thiiiiis close to pulling the trigger here, I just need to wait for my paycheck to come in.

Good but not amazing. Have you looked out the Lenovo outlet? You can find some insane deals, if you are patient.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Under my suggestion my roommate just bought a Thinkpad T420 refurb from woot a few weeks ago for $199. That thing has a Sandy Bridge i5, 4gb RAM, and a 500gb 7200RPM HD. I had him buy a $50 120gb SSD, a $20 4gb stick of RAM, and an HDD caddy for $15 to replace the DVD drive.

I installed all the upgrades for him. I am seriously impressed at the way Thinkpads are designed. Upgrading it was probably the easiest time I've ever had with any laptop. Replacing the HDD with an SSD in my Ideapad was way more of a pain in the rear end.

Basically speaking, he has one of the best sub $300 laptops I've ever seen. Core i5, 8gb RAM, 120gb SSD, and 500gb HDD. It's crazy fast and I can tell it's going to be durable and reliable for a long time. If it wasn't for the lack of a dedicated graphics card I'd be jealous.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

arisu posted:

Under my suggestion my roommate just bought a Thinkpad T420 refurb from woot a few weeks ago for $199. That thing has a Sandy Bridge i5, 4gb RAM, and a 500gb 7200RPM HD. I had him buy a $50 120gb SSD, a $20 4gb stick of RAM, and an HDD caddy for $15 to replace the DVD drive.

I installed all the upgrades for him. I am seriously impressed at the way Thinkpads are designed. Upgrading it was probably the easiest time I've ever had with any laptop. Replacing the HDD with an SSD in my Ideapad was way more of a pain in the rear end.

Basically speaking, he has one of the best sub $300 laptops I've ever seen. Core i5, 8gb RAM, 120gb SSD, and 500gb HDD. It's crazy fast and I can tell it's going to be durable and reliable for a long time. If it wasn't for the lack of a dedicated graphics card I'd be jealous.

Yeah I think refurb business laptops have a serious chance of hurting the laptop market. Especially in a year or two when refurb laptops start coming with SSDs more often than not.

The GPU on a Skylake laptop is going to be better, but the performance gap between Sandy Bridge and Skylake is going to be less than 20% once you add the neccessary SSD and 4GB RAM. Assuming you even do anything remotely capable of taxing an i5. It's pretty rare to see my CPU creep above 15% for more than 30 seconds at a time. What does the additional $400 get you for a new laptop? Well.. a slimmer chassis and, probably an extra couple hours of battery life. But a replacement 9 cell battery is cheeeeap these days, if you really need it.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So I want a thin and light and I'm willing to wait. I'm excited about the 28W Skylake-U chips coming out in 2016Q1, as they're going to have the integrated Iris graphics with eDRAM. While I know a discrete card is always going to better, I'm looking forward to having something portable and cool that is as gaming capable (for the older games I mostly play) as possible. Are we likely to see those chips on a more budget friendly Windows ultrabook? As far as I've been able to see, the top of the line iGPUs are the realm of macbook pros, which I'd rather not buy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I fear you will wait a while. The only 28W cpu laptops from broadwell I can think off are MacBook pros.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

ThinkPads hold up so well over time that even one a couple of years old is gonna be real solid. I really want to find a good deal on an X200 soon because I love love love the form factor, but part of me also just wants to splurge on a new X250 because I haven't had a nice computer in a long time and I know I could kit it out to be wonderful for years to come.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I think refurb business laptops have a serious chance of hurting the laptop market. Especially in a year or two when refurb laptops start coming with SSDs more often than not.

The GPU on a Skylake laptop is going to be better, but the performance gap between Sandy Bridge and Skylake is going to be less than 20% once you add the neccessary SSD and 4GB RAM. Assuming you even do anything remotely capable of taxing an i5. It's pretty rare to see my CPU creep above 15% for more than 30 seconds at a time. What does the additional $400 get you for a new laptop? Well.. a slimmer chassis and, probably an extra couple hours of battery life. But a replacement 9 cell battery is cheeeeap these days, if you really need it.

What segment of the market would they actually hurt, though? The large enterprises who lease these or replace them on a 3 year cycle won't ever stop buying new business laptops, and people buying new plastic grandma specials at Best Buy aren't going to switch to buying refurb laptops for the same $300-400 price point.

Consumers buying business laptops is a pretty small segment overall I'd imagine, I don't think they'd be missed if they entirely switch over to buying 2 or 3 year old refurb models.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

The Iron Rose posted:

The 960 equipped model is definitely available in Canada. When I got my product replacement I got one with a 960, even though I originally had an 860m.

(And to think I started with a DDR3 y410p! Bless product replacements)

They're on the Lenovo Canadian website now, but they weren't there back in May when I was shopping for laptops.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Twerk from Home posted:

What segment of the market would they actually hurt, though? The large enterprises who lease these or replace them on a 3 year cycle won't ever stop buying new business laptops, and people buying new plastic grandma specials at Best Buy aren't going to switch to buying refurb laptops for the same $300-400 price point.

Consumers buying business laptops is a pretty small segment overall I'd imagine, I don't think they'd be missed if they entirely switch over to buying 2 or 3 year old refurb models.

I think it would hurt, if only because they do design laptops for consumers, and most of those lines will suffer at the hands of the refurbed business line. Might see those go away (which is no big loss, they look ugly and are crap).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The segment of their market aware enough to look into that is probably tiny.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Philip Rivers posted:

ThinkPads hold up so well over time that even one a couple of years old is gonna be real solid. I really want to find a good deal on an X200 soon because I love love love the form factor, but part of me also just wants to splurge on a new X250 because I haven't had a nice computer in a long time and I know I could kit it out to be wonderful for years to come.

I'll make you a deal on the X240 I have in sa-mart

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

They're on the Lenovo Canadian website now, but they weren't there back in May when I was shopping for laptops.

Must have been unlucky then! I got my laptop replaced in early June/Julyish iirc so it was only a month or two difference.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

The Iron Rose posted:

Must have been unlucky then! I got my laptop replaced in early June/Julyish iirc so it was only a month or two difference.

It worked out pretty good for me. I got a great deal on a more powerful laptop anyways. :)

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I'll make you a deal on the X240 I have in sa-mart

That's super tempting. Is it just the base TN screen or is it the IPS one?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Philip Rivers posted:

That's super tempting. Is it just the base TN screen or is it the IPS one?

base 1366x768

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Isn't a 980 pretty hardcore overkill for 1080p?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Like the other poster I am pretty tempted by an x250. I'm going to be mainly using this for general browsing, watching things, some minor photo editing and minor gaming. Will this work for me? Anything else to consider? The XPS 13 is temping but here in New Zealand it's another $500 more.

Asus Zenbooks seem to be cheaper for better specs on paper but I'm guessing I'm losing build quality and access to hardware etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Deuce posted:

Isn't a 980 pretty hardcore overkill for 1080p?

Clearly you haven't visited the Skyrim modding thread.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

4K catgirl titties e'ry day

With accurate physics fur rendering and jigglebone technology :getin:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Ynglaur posted:

No, I'm not familiar wi-

Hadlock posted:

4K catgirl titties e'ry day

With accurate physics fur rendering and jigglebone technology :getin:

:stare:

edit: :catstare:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What's the verdict on external graphic cards for laptops via expresscard readers or mini-pcie?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Tsyni posted:

What's the verdict on external graphic cards for laptops via expresscard readers or mini-pcie?

Stupid/a waste of money/just get a desktop already

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

External gpu via expresscard is the least good way of doing this thing, on top of it already being silly. You'll only get 3-ish gbit/s from it which in graphics card world is not a lot. Compared to thunderbolt 2 it's positively slow as molasses (for reference tb2 run 20 gbit/s).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You should feel bad for asking that

Realistically your best option is to buy one of those 12 hour battery life chromebooks for $149 and then spend the other $850 on upgrading your desktop

Someday someone will release a usb type-c/thunderbolt PCI-e GPU adapter for under $100. Today is not that day. Keep dreaming.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

slidebite posted:

Sorry, should have been more clear. The 960 does, but the 965M+ is a GM204 and major leap over the 960 if you can find one of those.
http://laptopmedia.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-965m-benchmark-results-and-gaming-tests/

Unless you are getting an absolutely smoking deal on that 860, I'd do my best to find at least one of those if you want something with a separate GPU.

Thanks, for the feedback. It seems that Lenovo don't have much customisability, at least on the Y series.

Are other recommendations for the UK market?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Like the other poster I am pretty tempted by an x250. I'm going to be mainly using this for general browsing, watching things, some minor photo editing and minor gaming. Will this work for me? Anything else to consider? The XPS 13 is temping but here in New Zealand it's another $500 more.

Asus Zenbooks seem to be cheaper for better specs on paper but I'm guessing I'm losing build quality and access to hardware etc.

I'm still able to do some light gaming on my old X220 (HL2, Civ 5) which is the most taxing usage of those you listed, so the X250 should be mighty fine for what you want to do with it. You should get the full 1080 display however, if you don't want a cramped screen.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The jump from the GPU in the x220 to the GPU in the x230 was 50%, what's in the Broadwell chips now is another 25% on top of that. Mobile gaming on low end hardware isn't an issue like it has been in the past

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My brother had asked what laptop he should be looking at with a budget of $600. He's going to be using it to edit video and photos on site (typically at an outdoor firing range, he and my cousin have gotten into competitive shooting). Would the T-series still be recommended? Been scouring Lenovo outlet but haven't found anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

The jump from the GPU in the x220 to the GPU in the x230 was 50%, what's in the Broadwell chips now is another 25% on top of that. Mobile gaming on low end hardware isn't an issue like it has been in the past

Well it depends what people mean by 'light/minor/a little/etc. gaming'. Not everyone uses it the same. Some mean old games, some mean newer low end games, some might even mean in terms of hours per week.

Like occasionally people will post they'd like to do some light gaming and give the Witcher or Batman or something as examples.