Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

It's not implausible at all.

Basically, Rothfuss' writing fails at the first hurdle of decent Fantasy, which is that the unusual setting allows the reader to suspend their disbelief. This poo poo wouldn't be acceptable in a 99p self-published kindle book, never mind a published and lauded author. It's pants.

Jokes on Ruthfuss. Some kid has self-published a 99p kindle book which completely rips off Name of the Wind and has now been picked up for print. It's called A Crucible of Souls and is just another half baked D&D campaign with the barest bones of character. The story is structured around the Mary Sue who is an orphan who is better than everyone at everything and is taken in by notHogwarts and quickly masters everything and is also a master swordsman. Also all the ladies love him but he doesn't know what to do about it. Also there is a mysterious story about his dead parents.

The writing is less pretentious than Rothfuss (not hard) but is ridiculously childish. But he is pumping the books out fast and is eating Patrick's lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Saw a new post in the thread. Was not disappointing.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kvothe is currently #3 in this poll and I'm not sure how to feel about this. Kvothe > Phédre nó Delauney de Montreve and countless others? Hmm...

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 12, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well of course he's best. The Best. At everything.
edit: Considering I have no loving idea who numbers 1 and 2 are, that poll probably doesn't reflect too much.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 12, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Not enough love for Tehol & Bugg. Too many GRRM characters to begin with.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

No Locke Lamora, no deal.

What even is that website though and why should anyone care?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

anilEhilated posted:

Well of course he's best. The Best. At everything.
edit: Considering I have no loving idea who numbers 1 and 2 are, that poll probably doesn't reflect too much.

I'm assuming the authors of those two series I've never heard of mentioned the site on their blogs and their entire readership went and voted.

No Sam Vimes, no sale.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
loving Rothfuss. goodb oks? I will poo poo rightout my arse. This is what is wrong with fantasy. the hwole genre, I loving cannot stand this juvenile rear end genre, this lovely excuse for a categroy of books about swords and bustular maidens and now there's blood and rape so suddenly it's for adults. It's not for adults it's for loving idiot childrne except now they're large children with the capacity for erections. Ugh!!! hate these poo poo books

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I just finished Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death and she namedrops Rothfuss for proofreading and editing her - much superior - book. I find it weird how he seems to be this influential author despite having written like three books none of which is exactly great.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i want to squirt him with a nasty hose

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: If you're looking for all the entries of the read-through, theyre here, on page 122!

Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger is the story of Balram Halwai, Bangalore entrepreneur and murderer. Commenting on an impending state visit, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao states that he wants to learn the secret of Indian business success from Indian entrepreneurs themselves. Balram Halwai obliges, and addresses his own success story to the Premier. He chronicles his rise from "the Darkness" of rural India to the start-up paradise of Bangalore. And it is a confession of the great crime behind the great fortune, of why Balram is the White Tiger, the rarest of all beasts.

India in Adiga's novel is a world of grasping poor, tyrannical landlords, corrupt ministers, and liberal hypocrites. The White Tiger is decidedly iconiclastic: there is nothing holy, not religion, not family, not the state, not democracy, not caste, not class - and definitely not the masters. But Adiga does not default to nihilism. Even at its most corrupt and caricatured, the story retains a core of humanity in Balram's character and in India. This humanity is not consolation, but an affirmation. The novel is not cynically distant, but close: Balram's life in present Bangalore is one of detachment and speculation, but his recollection is felt in body, in clothes, and in touches. But the novel omits ecstasy and delirium, allowing the reader to stay close but not lose sight of themselves. As it explores the relationship between master and servant, Adiga appeals to our understanding instead of pathos. This is the strength of The White Tiger: it's clarity.

But this clarity leads to what I think is the novel's principal weakness, its stylistic indecisiveness - the novel seeks to be both realistic and fabulistic, but ends up sitting uncomfortably between these two poles. It is too easy-flowing to be authentic, and too particular and close for a fable.

The character remains sketches and caricatures save for Halwai and his master. Despite being addressed to the former Premier of China, it feels more aimed at Western skeptics of Hindu chic. But it is necessary story: not as a reminder that there is a human cost to economic growth, but that that growth itself is a predator. It is a story about human dignity, and looking behind myths and conventions to discover that dignity.

And strangely, Adiga takes three-hundred pages to tell the story that Rothfuss has not yet told in two-thousand.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 15, 2016

Neener
Apr 23, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I just finished Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death and she namedrops Rothfuss for proofreading and editing her - much superior - book. I find it weird how he seems to be this influential author despite having written like three books none of which is exactly great.

Rothfuss and Nnedi are not two authors I realized move in the same circles. Huh. Well. I enjoy both of their works for different reasons, though only one has reliably scratched my long-standing literary itch for a sexually open-minded mute ninja academy with a leaf-blade tree.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Doesn't he have a writing Ph.D? Personal terrible writing aside he has an enormous amount of editing/proofreading experience and probably does a fantastic job. That and he's probably the guy going "New book? Yeah sure I can proof/edit it for you! I'm not busy at all!"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why is Avshalom in this thread, has somebody mentioned Ariel Sharon?

pentyne posted:

Doesn't he have a writing Ph.D? Personal terrible writing aside he has an enormous amount of editing/proofreading experience and probably does a fantastic job. That and he's probably the guy going "New book? Yeah sure I can proof/edit it for you! I'm not busy at all!"

So like George Martin?

Do we have a release date for the third book? At least there will be a new Sanderson book next month, but it would be nice to finally finish Kvote's story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Martin wrote for a long time and some good stuff before he started off ASoIaF, though; Rothfuss is a literary nobody. It's probably going to be the academic thing.

edit: I actually misquoted it, it's something like "Thanks to Pat Rothfuss for reading and critiquing this book in its infancy", hence my bewilderment - but you probably don't need to be a good writer to be a good critic.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 21, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Why is Avshalom in this thread, has somebody mentioned Ariel Sharon?

So like George Martin?

Do we have a release date for the third book? At least there will be a new Sanderson book next month, but it would be nice to finally finish Kvote's story.

I doubt we'll get a conclusion to Kvothe's story even when the third book comes out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I doubt we'll get a conclusion to Kvothe's story even when the third book comes out.

Considering how Rothfuss has made mention that after book 3 he's apparently going to do books focused on Bast, then others, yeah we won't. We'll probably get more Harry Potter fanfic with the book ended after he gets kicked out of school and sums up everything between then and the present in a couple sentences like "...and so after I got kicked out by the vulture-looking professor who always had it out for me I did [dumb thing] and [other dumb thing] then I killed [rear end in a top hat noble whose name I forget] and that started the current war."

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering how Rothfuss has made mention that after book 3 he's apparently going to do books focused on Bast, then others, yeah we won't. We'll probably get more Harry Potter fanfic with the book ended after he gets kicked out of school and sums up everything between then and the present in a couple sentences like "...and so after I got kicked out by the vulture-looking professor who always had it out for me I did [dumb thing] and [other dumb thing] then I killed [rear end in a top hat noble whose name I forget] and that started the current war."

"I killed the king and rescued the princess ... but you know all those stories already."

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

bartlebyshop posted:

"I killed the king and rescued the princess ... but you know all those stories already."

"let me tell you more about being truly poor"

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
It was a poorness of three parts

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
Unless you have willfully glossed over the interesting sections of a personal history, you can never know what it is to be truly poor.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

More Bast is just fine by me. That short story of his may be the most interesting story that has come out of all the Kingkiller Chronicles to date. Then again, Kote making cider is more interesting than Kvothe learning to love and how to sword things.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You know, if in book 3 Chronicler asks Kvothe "So wait, when did you realize she was your aunt?" And Kvothe replies "Wait, what?" All's forgiven.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Arbite posted:

You know, if in book 3 Chronicler asks Kvothe "So wait, when did you realize she was your aunt?" And Kvothe replies "Wait, what?" All's forgiven.

That would be truly glorious.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Pash posted:

That would be truly glorious.

If every other character was sane and only Kvothe was insane, these books would be amazing- but I don't know how you backtrack through that, unless book 3 is just Chronicler going, "Nice story, I'm going to go fact check now." Then he rides off and Kvothe is like, "...gently caress."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kvothe's story really isn't that flattering though. "And then I was overconfident and hosed up", "And then I hosed up because I'm a clueless rear end in a top hat", "And then I jumped off the roof because I'm a big loving idiot".

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Khizan posted:

Kvothe's story really isn't that flattering though. "And then I was overconfident and hosed up", "And then I hosed up because I'm a clueless rear end in a top hat", "And then I jumped off the roof because I'm a big loving idiot".

And then I got over confident and hosed up while I was being trained as a sex ninja by sex ninjas.

And then I hosed up because I'm a clueless rear end in a top hat while sleeping with a fae goddess.

And then I jumped off the roof because I'm a big loving idiot while I was doing loving magic.

Do you really not see how his try/fail cycle is shallow and still meant to reinforce the fact that he is the greatest dude ever?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
"And then I fast talked my way into the Maer's court", "And then I seduced by aunt", "And then I seduced a fairy succubus", "And then I impregnated sex ninja's", "And then I..." etc.

Its pretty flattering for a teenage fan fiction.

Known facts: Kvothe was good with a lute (Appears the be the general cultural opinion), Stood trial for using magic against a guy (So, he spoke the language well, and used some sort of magic.). Served in the Maers court as a minstrel, before being sent away.

Bast is probably a more reliable narrator the Kote at this point. My pet theory is that Denna's "Magic of words that make things true" is the power of the Singers. Possibly demonstrated by her weaving the word beautiful into her hair, which Kvothe saw through as the word instead of the abstract "name" beautiful applied to herself. Bast and Chronicler are trying to do the same thing with this book. Possibly in conjunction with Skarpi. Kvothe's father and mother were true Singers, and he may have inherited some of it. Make Kvothe a badass hero for real by making the story true, so that they have a badass hero to fight the issues that Kvothe may or may not have ushered in.

And just as an aside Lorren is definitely an Amyr.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

My pet theory is that Denna's "Magic of words that make things true" is the power of the Singers. Possibly demonstrated by her weaving the word beautiful into her hair, which Kvothe saw through as the word instead of the abstract "name" beautiful applied to herself. Bast and Chronicler are trying to do the same thing with this book. Possibly in conjunction with Skarpi. Kvothe's father and mother were true Singers, and he may have inherited some of it. Make Kvothe a badass hero for real by making the story true, so that they have a badass hero to fight the issues that Kvothe may or may not have ushered in.

I was going to post something similar. If it's true, it'd be interesting what the implication are ie. there's still a silent war going on where the Amyr and Chindarian are trying to get rid of all of the records of themselves and possibly rewrite their history/existence. Example is discrepancy between Skarpi's story and Denna's song of Lanre. Also Chronicler's book about the Draccus where he made it less dangerous...why is it mentioned so much? It's just weird...unless if it's for Chronicler's benefit.

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 24, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I like the part where Kvothe decides to poison and kill a dozen people because a single one of them mentioned he committed petty shoplifting once.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like the part where Kvothe decides to poison and kill a dozen people because a single one of them mentioned he committed petty shoplifting once.

You mean the dozen who assisted bandits in killing and raping a Ruh troupe. Then used their fake credentials to thieve from the towns they performed in. Then they kidnaped and raped two girls?

I think you might be remembering that part different.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

M_Gargantua posted:

You mean the dozen who assisted bandits in killing and raping a Ruh troupe. Then used their fake credentials to thieve from the towns they performed in. Then they kidnaped and raped two girls?

I think you might be remembering that part different.

At the time Kvothe poisons the stew, he hasn't seen any of that. The kidnapped girls have not yet appeared. He chooses to kill a dozen people based solely on the shoplifting comment.

Of course, after he makes that decision the narrative contorts itself to make sure that his mass murder plan happened to only kill bad people.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

At the time Kvothe poisons the stew, he hasn't seen any of that. The kidnapped girls have not yet appeared. He chooses to kill a dozen people based solely on the shoplifting comment.

Of course, after he makes that decision the narrative contorts itself to make sure that his mass murder plan happened to only kill bad people.

I actually never noticed this before.

I think he had reason to suspect they weren't really Ruh before that too but that's still a really lovely reason to poison a bunch of people.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Reene posted:

I actually never noticed this before.

I think he had reason to suspect they weren't really Ruh before that too but that's still a really lovely reason to poison a bunch of people.

He also tests them by asking them if they know a certain song... but only after he poisons the stew. One of the troupe actually becomes ill from the poison before the kidnapped girls are introduced.

Once the child sex slaves show up, Kvothe touches them a lot even when the rest of the troupe isn't watching, and keeps talking about how lovely they are and how much they look like his love interest.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The poisoning wouldn't have killed them; just made them ill. Kvothe probably saw that as fair punishment for portraying the Ruh in a bad light. He didn't actually get murderous until he finds out that they not only are pretending to be Ruh, but killed an actual troupe and kidnapped and raped the town girls.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kvothe: wizard, musician, diplomat, lover, vigilante.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jivjov posted:

The poisoning wouldn't have killed them; just made them ill. Kvothe probably saw that as fair punishment for portraying the Ruh in a bad light. He didn't actually get murderous until he finds out that they not only are pretending to be Ruh, but killed an actual troupe and kidnapped and raped the town girls.

So... what was his original plan? Wake up in the morning and go "Your discomfort last night, was caused by me. Well, see ya later." And then just walk away?

It's clear from all the comments he makes while talking to them, like telling the chef that anyone who doesn't like her stew isn't a real Ruh, that he's 100% convinced from the start that they're not real Ruh, based solely on the evidence that one of them stole something. Except... Kvothe never shuts the gently caress up about how he is a true Ruh. And Kvothe himself steals constantly, even from his close friends, and when asked for a single word to describe himself he chooses "thief".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Ar you suggesting Rothfuss might be a bad writer? :monocle:

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

So... what was his original plan? Wake up in the morning and go "Your discomfort last night, was caused by me. Well, see ya later." And then just walk away?

It's clear from all the comments he makes while talking to them, like telling the chef that anyone who doesn't like her stew isn't a real Ruh, that he's 100% convinced from the start that they're not real Ruh, based solely on the evidence that one of them stole something. Except... Kvothe never shuts the gently caress up about how he is a true Ruh. And Kvothe himself steals constantly, even from his close friends, and when asked for a single word to describe himself he chooses "thief".

I think - if we're going to the place where Rothfuss has a plan to make us say "Ohh, I get it. It's not clever but...I get it" in Book 3, that this section is meant to show off that Kvothe himself has the tendency to act like an Amyr, like the bloody-handed, justice-obsessed one in the story he tells Will and Simmon. He (Kvothe) also metes out bloody judgement on his own justification, because he knows what's right. Pretending to be Ruh and by extrapolation, having done away with the Ruh who owned the wagon before, is (supposed to be) justification for disabling them until he can get to the bottom of who these non-Ruh are, so that if he's right he can stright up murder them.

This is of course, retarded, because apparently, according to the SAME STORY meant to establish the rules of knowing a "true" troop of Ruh, the Ruh will welcome any-goddamn-one traveling on the road into their company and family. So the idea that the difference between a group of Ruh and a group of scoundrels who clearly MUST have killed them and taken their carts, is a stolen barrel of food from the last town, seems pretty flimsy. But I think in Rothfuss' mind, it works, because the Ruh are all 100% virtuous, high-minded and honest to a fault, even as they hoover up the detritus of society walking vagabonds into their band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Also; the fake Ruh didn't present it as theft out of necessity or for survival. They played it as "hey, we're Ruh, of course we stole stuff"

• Locked thread