Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

No no no. The rompler shits, MC-303 thru MC-909. Gimme 1 lovely ARIA box instead of 4 lovely ARIA boxes I can make a complete(ly) lovely track with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I hate to be that guy, but it's Aira as in the "era" they are trying to recapture.

Super excited to see Autechre next week in Seattle. I just saw they have a track on an old EP called Yeesland and Yees Land is the stage after Fors Yard in Space Harrier 2... just one of those little discoveries that no one else will give a poo poo about but where else am I gonna say it?

\/\/\/ poo poo never mind about the second part then!

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 18, 2015

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Fors Yard posted:

I hate to be that guy, but it's Aira as in the "era" they are trying to recapture.

Just checked how the Japanese pronounce it, and they say it's eye-ra.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Fors Yard posted:

Super excited to see Autechre next week in Seattle. I just saw they have a track on an old EP called Yeesland and Yees Land is the stage after Fors Yard in Space Harrier 2... just one of those little discoveries that no one else will give a poo poo about but where else am I gonna say it?

Holy gently caress thanks for the heads-up. I would have missed this show. Hell yes Autechre!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Fors Yard posted:

\/\/\/ poo poo never mind about the second part then!

Aria is an opera term, it's a piece of music written for a vocal solo. Sometimes when words sound like other words they don't exactly mean the same things....

I will also be seeing Autechre though in Philly! I think it's just going to be a DJ set but might be just as fun as seeing them do their own material. I imagine it's going to be along the lines of the 4 hour DJ set they just did for Dekmantel: https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl/dekmantelpodcastautechre

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Aria is an opera term, it's a piece of music written for a vocal solo. Sometimes when words sound like other words they don't exactly mean the same things....

The brand isn't Aria, though. Seems like a stretch.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Bolange posted:

$600 for a full voice + 32 patch points and built in sequencer? :circlefap:

RIP In Peace my dollars....

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

I will also be seeing Autechre though in Philly!...

i'm gonna be seeing them in London, supported by Russel Haswell, Objekt & Rob Hall (Skam?) :getin: gig's like 10pm to 6am too :frogsiren:

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Sometimes when words sound like other words they don't exactly mean the same things...

Spelled, even!

Hope your Autechre gig is live and not just a DJ set. Though I hear live isn't really performing existing material and just improvisational. Either way I doubt they disappoint.

Richard Devine is playing Wednesday here too which I'm also excited for. The modular patches he posts on facebook are always amazing and hearing some of that live will be a great experience.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

The brand isn't Aria, though. Seems like a stretch.

I'm going to guess they based their name on what was short, pronounceable, cost the least to buy up on adsense and had the least conflicting trademarks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Lol zzounds leaked Roland's new keyboards. They're actually desktop modules with an optional snap-on keyboard. Pretty brilliant way to do it I guess really.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Tayter Swift posted:

Lol zzounds leaked Roland's new keyboards. They're actually desktop modules with an optional snap-on keyboard. Pretty brilliant way to do it I guess really.

I am now suddenly very interested :v:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The world sure has been crying out for a four voice virtual analog.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They're like $300 each :shrug:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I don't understand the new Yamaha mini things either. If you're going to celebrate classic synths of yesteryear and release updated hardware versions then actually do it otherwise just knock out a vst.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Good thing they got the most important part right, 2 banks of loving factory presets.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tayter Swift posted:

Who could ever forget the korg radias.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Wasn't such a bad synth really, just not much point in having that kind of megasynth outside a computer anymore, except maybe for poo poo like the Virus and Nords which people still use for live work with bands.

These one knob per function things make a little more sense in hardware though, we'll see if anyone buys it, but I guess the Airas have done well enough if they're making these so why not.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The stupid synth chic of the past, like, 7 years has driven up the second hand price of pretty much anything interesting so high that it has created a healthy market for sub 500$ new gear. That's my theory anyway. That's why we've seen volcas and arias and minibrutes and poo poo, because it's no longer possible to find a broken polysix for 100-200$ or an ax-60 for less than 500$.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Fors Yard posted:

Spelled, even!

Hope your Autechre gig is live and not just a DJ set. Though I hear live isn't really performing existing material and just improvisational. Either way I doubt they disappoint.

Richard Devine is playing Wednesday here too which I'm also excited for. The modular patches he posts on facebook are always amazing and hearing some of that live will be a great experience.

Hahah you know what? This thread is the first time I'm realizing it's actually spelled AIRA and not ARIA. I blame acute undiagnosed dyslexia.

EDIT: what a loving stupid name, AIRA.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Tayter Swift posted:

That really is a brilliant design decision. I already have full-sized keyboards and don't want a bunch of mini keys that I'll never touch taking up space in my room, whereas I do have several keyboardless desktop modules around.

If this thing were a true analog unit a la Pulse 2, I would probably buy it no questions asked. (My MKS-30 has a broken voice.)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Sizone posted:

The stupid synth chic of the past, like, 7 years has driven up the second hand price of pretty much anything interesting so high that it has created a healthy market for sub 500$ new gear. That's my theory anyway. That's why we've seen volcas and arias and minibrutes and poo poo, because it's no longer possible to find a broken polysix for 100-200$ or an ax-60 for less than 500$.

thats why i switched my habit from vintage synthesizers to vintage samplers :whatup:

also drat reading that made me do the math and yeah ive had my polysix for over 7 years. thank god i bought one with broken keys and a battery replaced before the leak

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

thats why i switched my habit from vintage synthesizers to vintage samplers :whatup:

Even that. You can't get an fz-10m for the cost of shipping anymore either.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Sizone posted:

Even that. You can't get an fz-10m for the cost of shipping anymore either.

I swear samplers have been climbing since January 2, 2013 when I got a Roland S750 for $25. There was an Emu EIIIXP near me for $50 shortly before that but it slipped away. Haven't seen anything like that in a while.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

First EPS I had I paid $20 for. Been looking for a 16 rack local since they were ~100, now they're 300+. Supply and demand :choco:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Fors Yard posted:

Spelled, even!

Hey Seattle buddy. You going to any workshops today or the rest of the week?

I should be at the Richard Devine show at night, and at the Autechre thing too. Plus some other showcases. Going to check out some workshops during the day(s) too.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There was another Beatstep Pro update today and the changelog is pretty long:

quote:

###V 1.2.0.6

####New Features
* Huge improvement of external clock handling for higher internal resolution
* Show firmware version on the four sequencer displays during startup

####Fixed Bugs
* Switching from CLK to INT sync while the sequencer plays would sometimes freeze the sequencer.
* Looper would not behave correctly when sync is set to "CLK"
* When slaved to a MIDI clock, the sent clock was half the tempo
* On Sequencer 2, legato playing while in record mode would cut the CV output when releasing the first note
* Displayed tempo and real tempo sometimes would not perfectly match
* In some cases, metronome notes were not sent in time with the external clock sync
* Control Map was not loaded properly from the MIDI Control Center
* MIDI was not always transmitted correctly when synchronized to an external clock
* No gate off messages were sent when synchronized to an external clock (1 pulse per step)
* Playback would stop when saving a project
* Tempo display was wrong when slaved to USB in some DAWs
* DIN 24 sync was late
* When synchronized to USB, BeatStep Pro does not transmit the MMC Play message back.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hopefully this means syncing to the desktop app actual,y does something for me now. No pattern quantization yet tho, shame.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tayter Swift posted:

Hopefully this means syncing to the desktop app actual,y does something for me now. No pattern quantization yet tho, shame.

I really want them to add the ability to assign different midi channels to each pad of the drum sequencer so I can use it instead of the one on the sample.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Guys! Late breaking news from one of the synthesis workshops I went to today as part of the Decibel Festival dB Conference: Randy Jones (maker of Aalto and Kaivo, if you don't already know -- you should own these already!) is making a new virtual instrument! "Virta", as he describes it (in short) a "sound controlled synthesizer"; it should be out soon (like, a month to maybe mid-December for a wide range).

I also got to meet him and shake his hand and tell him I'd volunteer my time to work on Windows drivers for Soundplane. Turns out there's another guy with a Soundplane already doing that, who has also already produced a beta Linux driver too! So we'll see what happens on that front.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Werkstatt on massdrop for $159 which is cheaper than JRR's recent blowout, I believe.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

Werkstatt on massdrop for $159 which is cheaper than JRR's recent blowout, I believe.

gently caress yeah, I was gonna pick one up next month anyway. My bizarro Moogerfooger Modular is crying out for a VCA.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i just got my hands on a Rene and it's the best thing ever :swoon:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
So i'm thinking of getting rid of my pressure points now that I have a beatstep - wondering what people think I could get in the space left over.

I am leaning towards a filter with a ton of character (any suggestions? I heard the a-108 is the business) and another basic envelope generator. with the beatsteps 10 drum/trigger outs I can see myself wanting a ton of envelope generators. maybe that's not necessary? I think that'll still leave me with 4-8hp too.
what would you guys put there with this setup?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/181557

e: I also have a seperate mixer now so I dont need a mixer. a 4-8hp percussion module that can be mangled into a range of sounds would be cool. not sure if one exists that goes that far in a small format.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 24, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
as far as characterful filters go, if you're comfortable with DIY I really like the Erica Polivoks filter. other than that it looks like you might benefit from some clock utilities maybe? unless the beatstep pro does all of that for you. if you want tiny envelopes you probably want the ALM pip slope.

also ModularGrid does 1U rows now :ssh:

breaks
May 12, 2001

I like the Erica Polivoks as well. I think the "Black Polivoks" prebuilt module is the same thing with a different panel (and maybe they also fixed up the knob ranges?).

They also have the buffed up Dtech version of it, which looks badass, but I haven't used it personally. That one is DIY only I think. Back in the day they would sometimes build the DIY stuff for you if you emailed them and asked real nice, but I don't know if they are still doing that now that they have the big line of prebuilt stuff.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Mr. Glass posted:

other than that it looks like you might benefit from some clock utilities maybe? unless the beatstep pro does all of that for you.

It has a master clock and i've got a ton of drum outs that can be programmed to different polyrhythmic sequences - anything i'm missing that a clock divider/whatever would bring?

I am a big fan of diy'ing, the dtech version looks pretty mean and is super cheap. I like the idea of being able to go full band pass on it. that is current winner, thanks for the suggestion!
that leaves 8hp left over... 4hp for env.
If you think I could use some clock tools (i've never used any and dont know how i'd use them) i could get the smaller polivoks and sacrifice BP to make room.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

It has a master clock and i've got a ton of drum outs that can be programmed to different polyrhythmic sequences - anything i'm missing that a clock divider/whatever would bring?

that makes sense, i forgot it had individual triggers for the drums. you can probably do without. here's a great overview if you're interested, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilo52K8Oje8

breaks
May 12, 2001

The straight clone does have bandpass also! The Dtech version gets you the adjustable cutoff and resonance slopes and CV control of resonance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Just found this.

You weren't planning on working the rest of today were you?