Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

Now that skyboxes work with DX11, I'm trying to make mine look less like rear end. Unfortunately DX11 does some on-the-fly adjustment depending on skybox brightness, so all my uploads look like washed-out poo poo.

Here are examples of the Caldari skybox as it is now and a new version:
http://imgur.com/a/B0X2t

That skybox got picked up by some popular servers and Youtubers, so it's got 32k subscribers. This makes me reluctant to make major changes to it. Should I leave it as it is and add a newer DX11 version as a different mod (which people might never find out about), or change this one and upload the old one as a new DX9 mod (which might piss people off)?

Make a new version, stick a link to it at the top of the old one. Change the name of the old one with a "(LEGACY VERSION)" at the end, and that should get at least some people coming to poke at the workshop page to see what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Regarding the ~0 stacks thing, if you open it up with SEToolbox, you'll see that the stack is no longer a whole number--it's a decimal of some sort. Somehow, the game managed to put .4 of a plate somewhere, or something. Gotta be a rounding error. Eject it to space, never speak of it again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Regarding the ~0 stacks thing, if you open it up with SEToolbox, you'll see that the stack is no longer a whole number--it's a decimal of some sort. Somehow, the game managed to put .4 of a plate somewhere, or something. Gotta be a rounding error. Eject it to space, never speak of it again.

Uhh... what if your ship only has internal hangar connectors and none that are open to space? :ohdear:

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Sounds like a design flaw to me. :colbert:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uhh... what if your ship only has internal hangar connectors and none that are open to space? :ohdear:
If you can't eject things to space what do you do with stone :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eject it into the hangar, vent the hangar, duck?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LegoMan posted:

Stone never even makes it to my mothership. The mining drones have four ejectors hooked up to conveyor sorters to throw out all the stone as they drill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stack-A-Station Workshop Comment posted:

I'm confused as to where to get the other parts of this pod station. :(
I subscribed and it adds one blueprint for the part with the 4 green landing pads plus that control room above it. Where would I get other pods or am I mimsunderstanding?

Sometimes I think I should stop trying to do clever things with projectors :cripes:. It's even obvious just from the thumbnail pic.

LegoMan posted:

Drill down to the ore vein with right-click before leaving the drone to drill automatically :v:. That oand dump it before delivering a mining drone back to the ship.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

GotLag posted:

Stone never even makes it to my mothership. The mining drones have four ejectors hooked up to conveyor sorters to throw out all the stone as they drill.

Four?

Try 78, stone doesn't even touch the cargo containers.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If your ships don't have the ejector located at back so it looks like the ship is pooping stone then I don't even.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

If your ships don't have the ejector located at back so it looks like the ship is pooping stone then I don't even.

Made a quick effort to update mine and best I can manage is spraying them out to the sides, sadly. However it's fully capable of mining on its own. The trick's just to set it to constantly fire some of its thrusters forward until a sensor detects there's no asteroid right in front of it anymore. Granted, it might stop in a cave, but better than finding it went flying off into deep space.

The design's somewhat constrained because they're meant to be carried and deployed like so. Basically Jump to a suitable asteroid, set it down via remote control to start mining on its own, go back for another.

It's also the same way my Bumblepods are designed to get around for construction or looting work that doesn't directly involve the Battleship itself.

Amechwarrior posted:

Four?

:worship:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HardDisk posted:

I have a small ship miner with paired ejectors mounted upright behind the cockpit cab, so it looks like truck smokestacks! I need to update that actually, it had a great drill configuration but the design is from before sorters and oxygen.

OTOH I avoid ejectors on large bulk miners, especially anything that's using gravity while mining. At that point throwing tons of rocks around is mildly dangerous (if they fall in gravity and hit something) and makes the game chug. Push it all into dedicated stone containers and dispose of it later.

Amechwarrior posted:

Sadly, I've realized the game actually suffers from a virtual Kessler effect. Too much space debris makes travel impossible due to collision detection lag.
Make sure you turn on "trash auto-removal" in the advanced settings for your world saves. That's a critical thing in a save where you're shooting at things and producing wreckage.

Anything smaller than blocks (rock & ore blocks, dropped components, etc) obeys the max objects limit, but stray chucks of armor or whatever else knocked off a ship when fighting does not.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Klyith posted:

Make sure you turn on "trash auto-removal" in the advanced settings for your world saves. That's a critical thing in a save where you're shooting at things and producing wreckage.

Anything smaller than blocks (rock & ore blocks, dropped components, etc) obeys the max objects limit, but stray chucks of armor or whatever else knocked off a ship when fighting does not.

I actually have a few questions about this feature. Does it work on dedicated servers at all? How can I test that it's working?

I know for a fact that it's enabled on the infinite server my friend runs, but then we end up with tons of debris floating around millions of KM away from us after we blow poo poo up or even just eject some stone in to the void to prevent post-mining lag. We have to use SEToolbox to manually delete all floating items and those random 1-2 blocks of ship that end up crossing the galaxy and this is where we learn that the scrap has traveled so far. I've read the KSH post about the trash removal rules, but it seems like it isn't working at all.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
If I was the .98 iron plate goon, I would have loaded that platelet into a ramming ship and let it go in a blaze of glory.

Dead pirates and dead aspiring platelets cause no !Exceptions.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Amechwarrior posted:

I actually have a few questions about this feature. Does it work on dedicated servers at all? How can I test that it's working?

I know for a fact that it's enabled on the infinite server my friend runs, but then we end up with tons of debris floating around millions of KM away from us after we blow poo poo up or even just eject some stone in to the void to prevent post-mining lag. We have to use SEToolbox to manually delete all floating items and those random 1-2 blocks of ship that end up crossing the galaxy and this is where we learn that the scrap has traveled so far. I've read the KSH post about the trash removal rules, but it seems like it isn't working at all.

I don't know... It should work on dedicated servers if it's working at all. Scanning through the keen forums, you get people who say that it's not working, and people who say that it's working too much because it's deleting parts connected to a rotor head.

But my experience running a little dedicated server (2-3 people) was that occasionally it would get super laggy, and just having everyone disconnect for half a minute then get back on would cure it. Could be that when you stop the server to use SEtoolbox to clean stuff out, the second part was actually totally superfluous and restarting the server was what fixed the lag.

I don't even think that a grid object drifting 1000km away has much performance impact. The game only calculates physics & collisions in a zone around the players, I'm pretty sure.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The game has little to nothing in the way of optimization at the moment, so just plain server memory leaks are very much a thing, too. Restarting frees up the memory and makes things run faster until the junk data starts building up again.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Amechwarrior posted:

Four?

My drones only have four drills. That blueprint's a bit out of date, the sorters are immediately before the ejectors.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

HardDisk posted:

Whenever I'm traveling to an asteroid I purge my stone behind me and then when I get there I move out of the way and watch all the small rock pieces crash into it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have another small drone with an assload of batteries and a rotor-mounted gravity generator which I park by my mine site. Set the range to maximum, aim it at the sun, and stone ejected by miners is flung away.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

I have another small drone with an assload of batteries and a rotor-mounted gravity generator which I park by my mine site. Set the range to maximum, aim it at the sun, and stone ejected by miners is flung away.

Why not just jettison it vertically out of the mined hole into space?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why not just jettison it vertically out of the mined hole into space?

It's tidier :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So, uh, the Avalon's now got Shields as well as triple-layer armor. 700,000 points worth, or however you want to quantify the units. There's two rows of Shield Generators stacked vertically between the Hyperdrive ones, with enough room for access to all the upgrade slots. Each Shield Generator has two pairs each of Capacitors (more shield capacity) and the recharge blocks. At the very least it should cut down on accidental back-stabbing between the Heavy Defense Turrets.

I also sorted the area between the Gravity Cannons into something livable and sealed-off. Before it was just an ugly kitchen sink of O2 tanks and Jump Drives stuffed in. The blue line and catwalk's a general warning for the lack of gravity in the middle area (a necessity for the gravity cannons). The Jump Drives are just for an emergency getaway if the Hyperdrives are still charging. Or if the ship gets cut in half and both pieces need to flee.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Is "Target Missiles" completely useless?

I'm building my first large combat ship and was going to use interior turrets as an Anti-Missile System. However during testing I found that interior and full size Gatling turrets can't shoot down missiles headed right at them even from near max range. They have too little time to track and put enough bullets on target before impact. Even with a testing rig, 10 interior or 4 Gatling turrets, not once was a missile stopped before hitting the target from 700-800m away. Turrets were set to only target missiles, no idle animation, 800m range.

Oddly, when this same rig is set to anti-meteor it works fine vs meteors. I only need about 375m turret range to track and kill an incoming meteor. It looks like the turrets are perfect shots vs meteors but crap against missiles. The turrets seem great at leading a target with a constant velocity, even at 104m/s. Either missiles are traveling much faster (I think they do, but not sure) or they are acting like real missiles by constantly accelerating or both. Either way, the "Target Missiles" setting is just a waste of ammo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amechwarrior posted:

I'm building my first large combat ship and was going to use interior turrets as an Anti-Missile System. However during testing I found that interior and full size Gatling turrets can't shoot down missiles headed right at them even from near max range. They have too little time to track and put enough bullets on target before impact. Even with a testing rig, 10 interior or 4 Gatling turrets, not once was a missile stopped before hitting the target from 700-800m away. Turrets were set to only target missiles, no idle animation, 800m range.

Oddly, when this same rig is set to anti-meteor it works fine vs meteors. I only need about 375m turret range to track and kill an incoming meteor. It looks like the turrets are perfect shots vs meteors but crap against missiles. The turrets seem great at leading a target with a constant velocity, even at 104m/s. Either missiles are traveling much faster (I think they do, but not sure) or they are acting like real missiles by constantly accelerating or both. Either way, the "Target Missiles" setting is just a waste of ammo.

Placement is as important as quantity. Missiles are indeed much faster than meteors (otherwise firing them off at 104.4m/s would make your ship explode when it crashes into them immediately like they used to) and you really need to spread your turrets out across the ship if you're only adding a few. That way you'll likely have at least one that's facing them relatively head-on and stand a much better chance of popping it.

The alternative is to place them in big AA/AM banks and use mass-fire to saturate the skies and increase the odds of a hit :orks101:.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Amechwarrior posted:

It won't shoot down friendly missiles, so if you are testing in creative mode you need to change the other ship to a different owner.

quote:

Oddly, when this same rig is set to anti-meteor it works fine vs meteors. I only need about 375m turret range to track and kill an incoming meteor. It looks like the turrets are perfect shots vs meteors but crap against missiles.
They track fairly well while the meteors are incoming, but as soon as one makes it far enough that it's moving past the turret they can't track them well. And then you have a cascading effect where everything is targeting the closest meteors which are all hard to track, eventually one hits.

You can overcome that with a big enough number of turrets, or with a gimmick of recessed turrets with walls that keep their attention focused upwards. I had a design that would protect a small solar farm fairly well at the "storms" level. Wasn't enough at armageddon, I think the bigger meteors may also take more than one hit to kill. But the sun rotation made it obsolete.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of turrets, the Avalon's now gained a full set of internal turrets. Just one or two in each compartment (except CIC, which has four), but I figure if someone manages to get inside the ship in-force they're probably already hurting badly in the attempt or really committed.

I'm going to see if I can use the Configurable LCD Script to try and rig up one of the CIC displays to list the ammo contents of them all.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of turrets

Didn't one of the mod packs you recommended include a flak cannon thing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pound_Coin posted:

Didn't one of the mod packs you recommended include a flak cannon thing?

Ah, I know the one you mean, I was actually playing with it recently too. It's SEI's Weapon Pack. They're okay for stopping missiles, and look really cool, but they don't do much more than dent the hull on small-block ships.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I don't know if any of you watch w4stedspace on youtube, but he got a bunch of devs in chat on his stream answering and asking a few questions. He's going to have a interview with a couple of them for his next patch video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApvlWkrkhnA

Also a new finished hull, still working on the interior. Building asymmetrically is a bit of a pain, but I really like how the side thrusters turned out. The other stuff in the shots are the unfinished hull of the destroyer-type ship that I'm using the same side thruster design for, my other ship with the GPC now with a blue-gray paint, and a concept broadside for a battleship.

Mods are great for tons of glowy poo poo in reactor rooms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really hope they add projection map support for lights at some point because it would go a long way to making the lighting look cooler, even if only for some objects.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of turrets, the Avalon's now gained a full set of internal turrets. Just one or two in each compartment (except CIC, which has four), but I figure if someone manages to get inside the ship in-force they're probably already hurting badly in the attempt or really committed.

I'm going to see if I can use the Configurable LCD Script to try and rig up one of the CIC displays to list the ammo contents of them all.

How does this deal with a lance ship?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Klyith posted:

It won't shoot down friendly missiles, so if you are testing in creative mode you need to change the other ship to a different owner.

That wasn't a problem. I had a "Nobody" turret on a spinning platform with a timer block set to constantly shoot missiles at the target block. The "Me" owned turrets would try to shoot down the missiles, just fail badly at it. I learned the same things you posted about meteors incoming angle and recessed turrets back when building my first large ship, our server was going to go storms enabled before the pirate update gave us something else to survive against. The missiles are just too fast or too tough for the number of turrets tested.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That way you'll likely have at least one that's facing them relatively head-on and stand a much better chance of popping it.

The alternative is to place them in big AA/AM banks and use mass-fire to saturate the skies and increase the odds of a hit :orks101:.

Here is a screen of the test bed I had setup. The missiles were coming at the target more or less head on already. I'm only looking at building a smaller corvette type of combat ship able to quickly and safely take over pirate bases and any reinforcements called. This 10 interior/4 Gatling AMS setup was my "ludicrous" number as that was way more turrets then I had planned on having dedicated to AMS per side. Earlier tests had the turrets on the face of the armor slab (its a 10x10x10 heavy armor chuck) but this didn't change the ineffectiveness of the turrets as the missiles would take some out as they impacted the target.

I may go back and make the whole target face int. turrets just for :orks101: testing. If 100 of them can't then why bother.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Welp, looks like the patch broke my survival world save. RIP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

How does this deal with a lance ship?

Three+ layers of heavy armor and a shitload of broadside turrets :v:.

Time for patch notes. Watch the video, if only for the demo about the exploding landing gear fix at the end. :allears:.

quote:

Summary
This week we added turrets for small ships. There are currently two types: gatling and missile. Additionally, we have applied several improvements that will optimize the performance of ship destruction and turrets, allow more moving ships in a server, and also stabilize constraints and collisions. We also added a pirate raiding carrier that will approach its nearest enemy and spawn light attack drones. Eventually it will leave on its own. But keep in mind, there is a large but well protected treasure hidden inside it! Moreover, we implemented more encounter ships from workshop creations. Thanks a lot to JD.Horx for his IMDC faction fleet! More additions will continue in the future. Last but not least, the exploding landing gear issue has been fixed! We are sorry that it took us so long, but we are happy that it’s finally solved and we hope that it won’t destroy your creations any more :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOjz05imzI

Features
- turrets for small ships
- pirate raiding carrier
- new encounter ships from workshop creations

Workshop Links
- Pirate raiding carrier: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523910745
- IMDC faction fleet: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jdhorx/myworkshopfiles/?appid=244850

Fixes
- fixed exploding landing gears
- improved ship destruction performance
- improved moving objects performance
- improved autopilot behavior
- improved turret performance
- fixed message about missing components showing to every player
- fixed Assailant Mk1 not avoiding collisions
- fixed tooltip overlapping with gravity HUD

I look forward to that new Carrier finding me.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

So happy they fixed the landing gear. Been hating that bug for a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The new small-block turrets are nice, but I wish the bases were flat instead of octagonal. I tweaked my shuttle a little to replace the the OKI Gatling turret it had with one.

Probably for the best anyway, so it can actually use looted ammo from derelicts :v:.

edit: Also looks like there's actually some performance improvement with this week's patch, because holy crap my battleship's a shade less chuggy :eyepop:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 25, 2015

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Welding/grinding seems to be causing random explosions on large ship grids for me, it might be caused by (and is definitely causing) decompression events.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix time.

quote:

EDIT 09/25/15:
Update 01.101.027

- fixed multiple crashes
- fixed warnings and animation of jump drive
- fixed turret definitions
- fixed jetpack power usage

Also be aware a few mods and scripts are broken as of the latest patch, because apparently KSH changed some code classes. Including the Configurable LCD script :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 25, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Landing gear fix is great. The side effects of causing control lock-out when you attach to another ship are amusing, but in some ways make for good RP. (obviously your ship's computer disengages the engines when set the parking brake!) About the only downside I see from it is that a limpet-mine type thing is now impossible. Upside, towing ships around with a tub boat works great.

How does it work when connecting to asteroids? That's not a grid merger, so it can't be doing the same thing as locking to a ship.

The small turrets are pretty reasonably balanced. Gatling shoots half as fast as a large ship one, which is good enough against light targets but not terribly effective against anything heavy. Missile turret fires 1/3 the speed of a large one. That's probably as low as you can go and still have them usable, though IMO any type of turreted missile on small ships is a bit OP.

The main thing though is that both the small turrets have a max range of only 600m rather than 800m. So if you're attacking a large ship you need to come well inside their gun envelope to use them. They're also nearly as expensive as large turrets. My verdict: as long as it's possible to make stuff like this the small turrets are ok by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
As someone who hasn't played SE in a while, but heard about AI enemies and wants to get back into it, what should I know?

• Locked thread