Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Don't really see how both Dipper and the girls can be in the right. If Dipper didn't do anything wrong they shouldn't have been angry at him.

It's not that either side is right, it's that neither side is wrong. It's just a big misunderstanding. Dipper is not wrong to practice being confident and talking to girls. Not turning into a stuttering wreck around people you're attracted to is a vital life skill. The girls are not wrong to be upset that somebody they perceived to be interested in them is in fact playing the field, so to speak. It's just a problem of communication - each girl thought Dipper was interested in them exclusively so their hurt feelings are understandable. But Dipper didn't hurt them intentionally and his only crime is a failure to accurately communicate his level of interest.

Unfortunately as I said before, the PUA deriding moral doesn't work well on a Disney show where they can't accurately demonstrate the levels of asshattery that PUAs actually get up to. So instead it comes off as Dipper (and to an extent, Stan) being punished for completely benign poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Between his facial hair and his creepy "tee-hee I totally used to have a crush on you haha wouldn't it have been crazy if we went out lol I might have based a character in my show off you just saying" back-and-forth with Lauren Faust I have no problem believing that this episode's weird message might be because Alex Hirsch is not exactly a grandmaster in dating and relationships himself.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I had a gander at the AV Club for the first time, and it seems like they're having the same problems as us with the execution of it. Someone mentioned that it seems like Disney didn't let them make Stan or Dipper more of a jerk, and it sounds about right.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Seemed like a heavy handed poorly executed metaphor to me and also stalling on my loving Illuminati demon shenanigans.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
jesus gently caress you guys are overanalyzing this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Welcome to the drat internet in the year 2015, where a cigar is never a cigar but rather a metaphor for "toxic masculinity" or some other nonsense.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

oh no, people are talking about a cartoon in that cartoon's thread, whatever shall we do

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's mostly you guys trying to tie a PUA or feminist message to a classic plot structure I saw on Boy Meets World 15 years ago. Or maybe it was Lizzie McGuire. Can't remember.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

As I have never watched Boy Meets World and have only vague memories of watching Lizze McGuire (mostly the cartoon segments) it's very possible that this is not a particularly new plot structure. But the point is, who cares? Some of us have the impression that this is the message it's trying to send; maybe you don't share that opinion, and that's okay, but what's wrong with us discussing it?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

I don't think it reflected poorly on him at all. Who knows, maybe his newfound confidence will bring about the Pacifica/Dipper ship that the AV Club reviewer for Gravity Falls spent an entire review talking about, for some hosed-up reason.
I only remember the ship being mentioned "in depth" at the beginning and in passing at the end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'll take it over fan theories. At least there's an actual conversation going on. Ya know?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Suspicious Dish posted:

I wondered when someone was going to come in and post this. Like someone does anytime anyone discusses anything anywhere in any level of detail, for any length of time, ever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Cat Mattress posted:

Dipper's main fault was acting guilty. A girl he met before appears while he's with Candy, and instantly he panics. In his mind at least, what he did was bad, and from his behavior the girls could see that what Dipper did was bad.

Yeah, really, I saw Dipper at the end there return to panicking -- just like he did at the start of the episode when trying to talk to one girl. The main thing he did wrong was act like he was doing something wrong, and since nobody really had any history with him they believed his own assessment of what he was doing.

That said, it didn't help that he took Stan's advice and didn't even think about how he'd get in touch with anybody after this was over. I don't know if it would have stopped him panicking, given Dipper, but it didn't help.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Really, the whole thing is muddled by the fact that Dipper does in one episode what Mabel has done through the whole series: want a fun summer romance so bad as to fling themselves at anyone who happens along. It's hard to judge Dipper that harshly when Mabel's been so boy crazy as to chase any male she takes a shine to, and there's never been any criticism of her in the show for doing that. The only difference is that she chases one boy at a time where Dipper had to be girl crazy for only one episode.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's mostly you guys trying to tie a PUA or feminist message to a classic plot structure I saw on Boy Meets World 15 years ago. Or maybe it was Lizzie McGuire. Can't remember.

Wait, isn't a story being universally used even more a sign it has some specific meaning in a culture, not proof it's just some random thing you can't be allowed to think about?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
When Stan literally calls him and Dipper pick up artists at the end of the episode, I think it's a reasonable stop on the train of thought.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

don Jaime posted:

Really, the whole thing is muddled by the fact that Dipper does in one episode what Mabel has done through the whole series: want a fun summer romance so bad as to fling themselves at anyone who happens along. It's hard to judge Dipper that harshly when Mabel's been so boy crazy as to chase any male she takes a shine to, and there's never been any criticism of her in the show for doing that. The only difference is that she chases one boy at a time where Dipper had to be girl crazy for only one episode.

I disagree with that. Dipper's goal in this episode seems fairly clear: Get my mind off of Wendy. He sees meeting other girls as a good way to do that (and to be fair, he's right). It's not exactly righteous to use other people to deal with his emotional problem, but Dipper isn't meaning any real harm either. His other problem is that meeting some other girl who he'd likely never see again is at best a temporary fix.

Wendy is pretty girl who's also friendly and who is around all the time. It's easy to say "Dipper, stop obsessing over Wendy" but Dipper is a like a guy trying to diet while living in a do-nut shop. Wendy is on Dipper's mind all the time in part because she's in his space all the time.

To me the ironic thing is that if Dipper and Wendy somehow got together and started dating, they'd probably break up fairly quickly because they are very different people with personalities that would likely clash. Dipper's Type A focus would rapidly get on Wendy's nerves and Wendy's laid-back "whatever happens, happens" attitude would set Dipper's teeth on edge.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dipper is also 12 to Wendy's 16. I realize you're not saying they would ever realistically get together, but that's really the most important thing to remember. Not just for viewers, but for Dipper. He says early in the episode that he "blew he chances with Wendy" and Stan rightfully rolls his eyes and says "yeah, chances". Dipper likes to think he's older and more mature than he actually is, and I think part of the reason he can't get over his crush is his refusal to acknowledge that he is twelve years old and Wendy was literally never going to date him.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I thought Dipper acknowledged the age gap and that helped him give up his hope of being with Wendy. When Dipper and Mabel were time traveling and ran into a young Wendy and Tambry, he realized how creepy it was for a much younger person to crush on you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I'll take it over fan theories. At least there's an actual conversation going on. Ya know?

red pillers vs. blue pillers is not a worthwhile conversation, sorry

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Dazerbeams posted:

I thought Dipper acknowledged the age gap and that helped him give up his hope of being with Wendy. When Dipper and Mabel were time traveling and ran into a young Wendy and Tambry, he realized how creepy it was for a much younger person to crush on you.

CuwiKhons posted:

Dipper is also 12 to Wendy's 16. I realize you're not saying they would ever realistically get together, but that's really the most important thing to remember. Not just for viewers, but for Dipper. He says early in the episode that he "blew he chances with Wendy" and Stan rightfully rolls his eyes and says "yeah, chances". Dipper likes to think he's older and more mature than he actually is, and I think part of the reason he can't get over his crush is his refusal to acknowledge that he is twelve years old and Wendy was literally never going to date him.

There's a lot of factors that conspire to keep Wendy in place as Dipper's hopeless crush. Wendy is attractive and Dipper is right at the age to start appreciating that. Wendy is amiable. If she'd met Dipper's crush with something like "Get away from me, you weird little pervert!" it would've been easier for Dipper to move on. Wendy is nice and doesn't want to hurt his feelings so his feelings for her continue. Wendy is also around all the time. She works at the Mystery Shack where he lives. That situation is compounded by the fact that Dipper and Mabel are visiting for the summer. If they lived and went to school in Gravity Falls, Dipper would be interacting with a lot of other kids his own age. He'd probably be a little bit of a rock star for finding/creating a shrink/growth ray out of something he found in the forest and showed off in science class. Figure baking soda volcanoes could suck it next to that.

And yes, he is twelve and worse, Dipper probably actually is smarter and little more mature and insightful than most kids his age, especially considering all the stuff he's endured investigating Gravity Falls. For all those reasons, even though Dipper knows there's no way Wendy would date him and knows that pining for her is just going to be embarrassing and painful, he can't help do it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

johntfs posted:

There's a lot of factors that conspire to keep Wendy in place as Dipper's hopeless crush. Wendy is attractive and Dipper is right at the age to start appreciating that. Wendy is amiable. If she'd met Dipper's crush with something like "Get away from me, you weird little pervert!" it would've been easier for Dipper to move on. Wendy is nice and doesn't want to hurt his feelings so his feelings for her continue. Wendy is also around all the time. She works at the Mystery Shack where he lives. That situation is compounded by the fact that Dipper and Mabel are visiting for the summer. If they lived and went to school in Gravity Falls, Dipper would be interacting with a lot of other kids his own age. He'd probably be a little bit of a rock star for finding/creating a shrink/growth ray out of something he found in the forest and showed off in science class. Figure baking soda volcanoes could suck it next to that.

And yes, he is twelve and worse, Dipper probably actually is smarter and little more mature and insightful than most kids his age, especially considering all the stuff he's endured investigating Gravity Falls. For all those reasons, even though Dipper knows there's no way Wendy would date him and knows that pining for her is just going to be embarrassing and painful, he can't help do it.
It's the same basic process that causes a lot of kids to have a crush on one of their teachers, except it's even worse because it's a teenager who isn't related to him (which is something most kids his age just don't really interact with often), so he thought it was actually kinda attainable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Suspicious Dish posted:

red pillers vs. blue pillers is not a worthwhile conversation, sorry

Kind of is. They are really bad people, and it's good that kids are getting a nice lesson in not being a creepy garbage person.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

It's the same basic process that causes a lot of kids to have a crush on one of their teachers, except it's even worse because it's a teenager who isn't related to him (which is something most kids his age just don't really interact with often), so he thought it was actually kinda attainable.

The age thing is exacerbated by the fact that Wendy is 15, so she's sort of just on the other side of "too old." If she was 12-13 it'd be fine. 14 would still be possible but 15 dating a 12 year just isn't going to happen.

I kind of want an episode with Blendin showing to help Dipper out. "Dipper, look, in ten years, Wendy's a hippie-chick forest ranger. Meanwhile, in five years Pacifica turns into this:"

Yeah, the Kate Upton bikini thing was a little much, so I went more Gravity Falls relevantish.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 25, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love how some goons still think these discussions can be had without terrible things inevitably happening.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

johntfs posted:

The age thing is exacerbated by the fact that Wendy is 15, so she's sort of just on the other side of "too old." If she was 12-13 it'd be fine. 14 would still be possible but 15 dating a 12 year just isn't going to happen.

I kind of want an episode with Blendin showing to help Dipper out. "Dipper, look, in ten years, Wendy's a lesbian hippie-chick forest ranger. Meanwhile, in five years Pacifica turns into this:"
Let's not sexualize a 12 year old itt, even... future-projection-sexualize, thanks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

counterfeitsaint posted:

I love how some goons still think these discussions can be had without terrible things inevitably happening.

I mean, it wasn't going horribly. I had hope!

Then that happened.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Now deploying tactical positive thread derailment HOT TAKE

Soos should have stayed with GIFfany, they could have worked through the craziness. Thoughts??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still wish Wendy had more screentime this season, since she's a great character on her own merits.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I know that thing up there isn't a pig making GBS threads on his own balls, but is there any way we can have it removed? Maybe we can invoke out-of-place NSFW...

JT Jag posted:

Soos should have stayed with GIFfany, they could have worked through the craziness. Thoughts??
You're crazy!

Pick posted:

I still wish Wendy had more screentime this season, since she's a great character on her own merits.
True that. Although I'm happy with what we already have, one episode in which she was center-stage and another two in which she got to accompany the twins (especially Mabel) on a big adventure.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 24, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Let's count this as an honest mistake and go on.

Pick posted:

This is true and correct. I loved her in the Last Mabelcorn.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Pick posted:

This is true but in addition to this, I want to see more of Soos! He's barely been in like the last four episodes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CuwiKhons posted:

I think part of the reason he can't get over his crush is his refusal to acknowledge that he is twelve years old and Wendy was literally never going to date him.

A crush isn't something you willfully choose to have, and it certainly doesn't depend on if you realistically have any chances with the person in question.
Dipper may or may not acknowledge that he's only twelve years old, but it's not going to change how he feels regardless.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

CuwiKhons posted:

This is true but in addition to this, I want to see more of Soos! He's barely been in like the last four episodes.

Soos got lost in the corn maze, and his grandma told him to stay put.

At least he eventually reenacted Homeward Bound.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Has the Waddles pancake already been posted in here?

http://i.imgur.com/vLWsrLd.gifv

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

johntfs posted:

I kind of want an episode with Blendin showing to help Dipper out. "Dipper, look, in ten years, Wendy's a lesbian hippie-chick forest ranger. Meanwhile, in five years Pacifica turns into this:"

You should feel very bad about this post. For several reasons.

In fact, a lot of people should feel very bad a lot of recent posts.

Content: I like to imagine the wind rippling through the corn maze was a Children of the Corn reference.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sup guys, just pointing out that this fictional cartoon child may turn into this hot model in sports illustrated in a few years' time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It kinda made me uncomfortable how much I related to Dipper in this episode.

Speaking of uncomfortable things: No I'm not going to touch that other discussion going on up there and neither should you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hey guys what happened in this ep-

The hell?

• Locked thread