Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Oh lord, I just noticed reading this that his Twitter ID is "@reckless"

Why? Just why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Probably a dumb question but if I start using 1password, should I start removing passwords from my iCloud keychain? I've never used a password manager before and don't really know best practices.. I'd be using it for my iPad, iPhone and possibly MacBook if I like it on the mobile devices.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Probably a dumb question but if I start using 1password, should I start removing passwords from my iCloud keychain? I've never used a password manager before and don't really know best practices.. I'd be using it for my iPad, iPhone and possibly MacBook if I like it on the mobile devices.

You're fine using both, I do. 1Password is more flexible, but iCloud keychain is way more convenient for Safari.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

101 posted:

I assume since you're in the iOS Apps thread you don't mind if they're Apple focused:

Connected
Accidental Tech Podcast

I was hoping for something that covers all of tech news, but I'll check those out.

Kaizoku posted:

This a hundred times. Having never heard Vergecast, though, I can tell you it's nothing like Vergecast.
I'll check it out anyways, looks cool. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

flosofl posted:

You're fine using both, I do. 1Password is more flexible, but iCloud keychain is way more convenient for Safari.

I do this, it's the best. Make 1password your source of truth, and just hit remember when safari asks.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Concerning the verge stuff, that site is complete and utter trash, ad blockers don't fix the garbage content on it anyways.

Anyone find out they were running any apps developed by idiots using the bad Xcode package that was passed around on Baidu?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I skimmed the past 10 pages or so, but apologies if this has been talked about.

What's the best app to annotate/take notes on PDFs with a stylus? I'm looking for something like Drawboard on Windows. I have Goodreader and love it for just reading/highlighting, but I want to try to do more full editing on my iPad, and want to include basic handwritten notations with a stylus.

I saw PDFPen Pro that looks like it does all I want, but is it worth the $20?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
PDF Expert (https://readdle.com/products/pdfexpert5) is what I use and it works well. I use PDFPen on my Macbook, but don't really see a reason to use it over the less expensive PDF Expert on iOS.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

keevo posted:

I was hoping for something that covers all of tech news, but I'll check those out.

This Week in Tech probably covers what you're looking for.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Dr Monkeysee posted:

This Week in Tech probably covers what you're looking for.

I like the TWiT network so I can give a yes to the show (and many others). Some dislike Leo (he can be super annoying at times) but his guests/co-hosts are generally pretty good.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

maduin posted:

PDF Expert (https://readdle.com/products/pdfexpert5) is what I use and it works well. I use PDFPen on my Macbook, but don't really see a reason to use it over the less expensive PDF Expert on iOS.

That looks perfect, thank you!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Loving the change log for Transit.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
walter white is dead

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

walter white is dead

Should have used transit, you got on the bus to hell. Oops!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

chaosbreather posted:

I do this, it's the best. Make 1password your source of truth, and just hit remember when safari asks.

Very cool, thanks!

Got another question: is it possible to get a refund on an in-app purchase? I purchased the 'Pro' upgrade for PlayerXtreme to unlock NAS support, but it won't play any audio for my MKV files. The only reason I purchased the upgrade was to get to my files which subsequently don't work, so I'd rather get my money back as the app is useless. And actually, on that note, what's the best video player for streaming from a NAS? I've got a variety of files from dvd, bluray and TV rips and I would love to be able to play them on the iPad.

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Very cool, thanks!

Got another question: is it possible to get a refund on an in-app purchase? I purchased the 'Pro' upgrade for PlayerXtreme to unlock NAS support, but it won't play any audio for my MKV files. The only reason I purchased the upgrade was to get to my files which subsequently don't work, so I'd rather get my money back as the app is useless. And actually, on that note, what's the best video player for streaming from a NAS? I've got a variety of files from dvd, bluray and TV rips and I would love to be able to play them on the iPad.

iMore has you covered: http://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store

*edit* My mind drifted right over the "in-app" part of your question, but should still work...

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

For the iOS 9 built-in calendar, can I silently accept or decline a meeting invite? I work at a large company and frequently do not want someone to receive a notification that I've acted on their invite.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want an app that keeps track of time like the stopwatch app but I also want it to record when I start/pause and want to be able to export the data like "started at h:mm, duration, stopped at h:mm" or whatever

Is there an app for that

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Hours?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want an app that keeps track of time like the stopwatch app but I also want it to record when I start/pause and want to be able to export the data like "started at h:mm, duration, stopped at h:mm" or whatever

Is there an app for that

You can use IFTTT and its DO! Button app to log every time you press it to a spreadsheet. Do you could have one button in the app for start and one for stop

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Google Keep is the latest Google service to have an accompanying iOS app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-keep-your-thoughts/id1029207872

Keep is Google's free service for taking down notes and managing checklists.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Rastor posted:

Google Keep is the latest Google service to have an accompanying iOS app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-keep-your-thoughts/id1029207872

Keep is Google's free service for taking down notes and managing checklists.

Awesome! I have been waiting for this for years, literally. Now that it is officially cross platform I may stop using Simplenote and ICloud notes.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Was about to post about google keep as well. Been waiting for ages. Got one problem though. Sounds for reminders don't seem to work for me. Do they work for you guys?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crystal Ad Block has apparently entered a deal where companies can pay him to be whitelisted from the blocklist. Glad I got it while it was free. Probably gonna switch to Purify.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Endless Mike posted:

Crystal Ad Block has apparently entered a deal where companies can pay him to be whitelisted from the blocklist. Glad I got it while it was free. Probably gonna switch to Purify.

What an absolute piece of poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just about every major ad blocker in the desktop world has done the exact same thing so it's not unprecedented.

It's just part of the arms race. :buddy:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Endless Mike posted:

I saw that on Twitter. Good thing you can use multiple ad blockers at once.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Crystal Ad Block has apparently entered a deal where companies can pay him to be whitelisted from the blocklist.

That's not even remotely accurate, despite how The Verge (of all publishers) is trying to report it.

Not saying we won't get there, but we're not there yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So why don't you explain it in easier terms?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Seconding the request because I find it interesting. (And potentially appalling.)

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Endless Mike posted:

Eyeo, the company behind Adblock Plus's development, is funding Crystal's dev in exchange for using their 'acceptable ads' whitelist (in addition to a separate user-modifiable whitelist). The history behind Adblock Plus's whitelist is long and has been written by writers far better than I, so I won't get into it. The option will not be mandatory, and will not be automatically turned on.

I'm assuming the other poster is up in arms about the fact that companies cannot pay Crystal's dev in exchange for a spot on the whitelist, which is true (and may or may not have been underreported or glossed over by tech journalists. I don't know, I don't read many of them). However, as the dev does not manage Eyeo's whitelist (and has no intention to manage his own whitelist), companies are free to go over to Eyeo and negotiate with them, which will affect Crystal's whitelist.

All this information is sourced directly from the Crystal dev blog post.

Make of it what you will, I don't use Crystal to begin with. I don't intend to inject my own thoughts into this particular post!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Crystal Ad Block has entered a deal with the AdBlock Plus people where the companies who pay them to be whitelisted from their blocklist are whitelisted from the blocklist.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

bronin posted:

Was about to post about google keep as well. Been waiting for ages. Got one problem though. Sounds for reminders don't seem to work for me. Do they work for you guys?

Anyone?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sounds like the "acceptable ads" option is just a toggle and not forced so yeah, all good as far as I am concerned.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Google Keep legitimately looks like the ugliest app I've ever seen.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
1Blocker seems to have the greatest speed improvements anyway...

http://lifehacker.com/the-ios-ad-blockers-that-speed-up-your-browsing-the-mos-1732345592

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Not to say that speed isn't important, but I think there are other factors that would be more valuable than fractions of a second. People should be looking at the block lists that these things are pulling from -- are they keeping their own? Using EasyList? Pulling from a few different block lists? And looking at the people/companies behind them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maduin posted:

Not to say that speed isn't important, but I think there are other factors that would be more valuable than fractions of a second. People should be looking at the block lists that these things are pulling from -- are they keeping their own? Using EasyList? Pulling from a few different block lists? And looking at the people/companies behind them.

1Blocker also seems to be among the most configurable, so there's that as well.

All that said, I got Peace during the small window when it was up and I'm just gonna keep using it until the dust settles some more.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Gillman posted:

Hours?

You can use IFTTT and its DO! Button app to log every time you press it to a spreadsheet. Do you could have one button in the app for start and one for stop

That sounds like what I'm looking for thanks.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Wow... just wow. The Verge is once again mis-reporting information regarding Ad Blockers. When I fix read the article I was pretty angry at Crystal until I read their actual website.

They are NOT forcing anybody to enable these "Acceptable Ads".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You probably should have calmed down the instant the letters "verge" appeared in your url bar because it's a near certainty that any story under that umbrella has some glaring factual error in it.