Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Sorry if I came across like I was picking on you; I really do see similar sentiments all the time and it got to be kind of a pet peeve. I'm glad my answer made sense, at least.

I don't know why anybody would put any kind of human hair on a Khajiit at all, as it would look stupid in any case, but I guess it's nice for some people to have the option if they want it?

Most of the long hairstyles look fine on normal-looking people, and it's good to have them since none of the vanilla hair goes past people's shoulders. Even some of the short, messy styles look fine in the right context. You just have to be a little selective.

For my big Cidhna Mine mod, I wanted a lot of the new prisoners I added to look like they hadn't seen a barber in years, so I wanted them to have long, unkempt hair. I took these screenshots so people knew what they would be getting into with the Apachii version of the mod. I didn't even use the expanded male/female hair packs, which offer a lot more realistic options, and I was still able to give the characters a lot of diversity without any of them looking cartoony or too glamorous. They just look like what people with long hair actually look like in real life. Some of them have thick or wavy hair, some tie it back or part it to one side, and one guy has some dreadlocks going. I do offer a vanilla version of the mod, but I feel like it takes a lot of individuality away from those characters.

I use some mods by other people that distribute certain of those hairstyles to NPC's, and they generally also have the good sense to stick to the ones that look plausible and not overly styled. I think the game feels a lot more realistic when every single person you meet isn't sporting chunky braids 1 through 5.

I'm the argonian with the streched facial textures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Heh, I went and did like 17 other things and showed up at Kynesgrove about three weeks later. Wouldn't you know it, I was just on time :haw:

Alduin is nothing if not polite and accommdating.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Woolie Wool posted:

Alduin is nothing if not polite and accommdating.

To say nothing of Delphine!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I would be really surprised if I showed up at Kynesgrove after becoming the Listener for the Dark Brotherhood, saving the College of Winterhold, finding the Lost Bow of Auriel, and singlehandedly killing all the Stormcloaks in the world, and the quest had progressed as normally; if Delphine said something like "Where the gently caress have you been? Alduin woke up some dragon by yelling at a skeleton, and then they flew away. Thanks a lot, 'Dragonborn'."

I would actually respect Bethesda a lot for that, if they'd do that in Fallout 4.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

That's because there really isnt any good info on LOD generation out there. I learned a bit about it by trial and error that I'm willing to share, but as I have no access to a PC at the moment ( :qq: ), it'll have to be from memory.

Do you have the tree billboards from the LODgen page installed? Some tree types don't have billboards even with those installed.

I have them installed. Guess those tree types don't have any.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Welp I'm in my usual cycle of reinstalling and getting really into Skyrim after a six month absence.

Where does recent Nexus Mod of the Month Expanded Towns and Cities fall on the bugginess and fucks-a-bunch-of-poo poo-up spectrums? I normally don't like to mess with cities in huge ways that inevitably screw with quests and create conflicts, but this mod looks like it's pretty low-key and adds so me nice flavor.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 24, 2015

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Hey, Tamriel Online has functioning NPC synchronization now. On top of being way further than any other Skyrim multiplayer mod has gotten, it means it's possible to play Skyrim with friends and do quests together and poo poo.

The dream is real.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think it's a terrible shame that Skyrim cannot use multiple face and body skins because really there is no "best" face skin (though there are certainly worst ones) for Skyrim--the best one to use is entirely dependent on the features of your character. My main character looks good with the Fine Faces for Men skins and terrible with the SkySight skins. The SkySight skins are by all objective standards much better--more detailed, more lifelike, better-made. But they don't fit this particular character's face and make him look like he hasn't slept in a week and forgot to put his dentures in, and the other skin set doesn't work well with other characters' faces (Eorlund in particular looks ridiculous).

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Trustworthy posted:

Welp I'm in my usual cycle of reinstalling and getting really into Skyrim after a six month absence.

Where does recent Nexus Mod of the Month Expanded Towns and Cities fall on the bugginess and fucks-a-bunch-of-poo poo-up spectrums? I normally don't like to mess with cities in huge ways that inevitably screw with quests and create conflicts, but this mod looks like it's pretty low-key and adds so me nice flavor.

Pros:
That mod is amazing and I can't picture playing without it until somebody does an even cooler overhaul of the entire gameworld. The only other contender, Immersive Settlements, was actually taken over by the maker of ETaC and it now combines the best of both. It's been really well maintained over time and bugs have been thoroughly ironed out. Performance hit in towns is negligible, even with the optional meshes and textures that give certain towns unique architecture. All the new additions feel really right; each town feels like it has an identity of its own.

Cons:
A lot of the vanilla buildings have been physically moved to make room for new stuff, which means it can conflict with almost any other mod that affects towns. It can even screw with NPC's whose AI packages rely on them hitting certain markers. There are a shitload of optional patches for popular mods, but after you install ETaC you will forever be walking on eggshells with regards to installing other poo poo. I use hundreds of mods with it just fine, so it's workable, but you have to really pay attention to compatibility.

Probably my least favorite thing about it is that the author maintains all the individual towns as separate mods and sucks at merging them together. If you install the full "complete" version you're looking at something like 6 different plugins right now, NOT counting patches. These plugins will also fight you loving tooth and nail if you try to merge them yourself. I would advise not even attempting it, because you'll break compatibility with all the patches that require that long list of plugins as masters, and you can't really get away with merging the patches into it or you'll get load order problems. It also fucks up the navmesh and has a lot of trouble reading the .bsa archive if you don't keep all the individual plugins separate. Basically the reason the author hasn't combined them all into one big plugin is that it's drat near impossible. When you install this you are making a very serious commitment to dedicate a goodly chunk of your load order to it from that day forward.

I want to repeat here that it IS worth it, in my opinion. It's a really excellent mod, and it works great as long as you accomodate it. It's just really really not something to take on lightly. I suppose it's a bit like Open Cities in that regard. All your other mods will have to tiptoe around it. It's the nature of it, and there's not much anybody can do about it.

Side note: I specifically built "Immersive Laundry" to work BETTER if you use ETaC. It is pretty widely compatible with other stuff, but my approach to compatibility went ETaC > vanilla game > everything else, from day one. I got a personal thanks from the author of ETaC for that, which was really nice.

EDIT:

Woolie Wool posted:

I think it's a terrible shame that Skyrim cannot use multiple face and body skins because really there is no "best" face skin (though there are certainly worst ones) for Skyrim--the best one to use is entirely dependent on the features of your character. My main character looks good with the Fine Faces for Men skins and terrible with the SkySight skins. The SkySight skins are by all objective standards much better--more detailed, more lifelike, better-made. But they don't fit this particular character's face and make him look like he hasn't slept in a week and forgot to put his dentures in, and the other skin set doesn't work well with other characters' faces (Eorlund in particular looks ridiculous).

It's actually super easy to give individual characters unique skin textures, and it's standard practice with follower mods. If there's a vanilla game character you like and you want to give them a unique look, a quick search is likely to turn up a mod that assigns them a custom skin. You can also give your player character a custom skin by using any custom race and dropping your preferred textures in its texture folder. Ditto with body/armor meshes, actually. I like to use Bodyslide / Outfit Studio to give armors really unique builds and then equip them on different followers so no two of them look alike. It's not just a sexy lady mod, it works fine on full-coverage male armors. Outfit Studio is an extremely versatile mesh editor, and I've used it to make crazy stuff like those custom Briarheart bodies.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 25, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How does it compare to the Dawn of ____ series, which is my favorite set of city mods?

And has there ever been a mod that replaces the tavern bards with competent singers who have listenable songs (in an appropriate style, not rock or J-pop or whatever idiotic thing a typical :nexus: modder might come up with)?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 25, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Woolie Wool posted:

How does it compare to the Dawn of ____ series, which is my favorite set of city mods?

They don't change the same things; as far as I know, Dawn of Skyrim changes the major hold cities, ETaC does not.

That said, both Dawn and ETaC will conflict with the full JK's Skyrim package, unless some madman has made a patch for the whole mess.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Woolie Wool posted:

Here I am editing posts so I'm not spamming the thread, when I'm just gonna keep replying anyway...

ETaC doesn't change any of the actual CITY-cities, the ones with separate world spaces, so you can use it alongside stuff like Dawn of Skyrim and/or JK's without conflicts as long as you use "major cities only" versions. The only technical exception to this is Whiterun, in that it adds more houses and shops outside the city walls. That part of it is totally compatible with JK's Whiterun Outskirts, too. I love it because I can sell my loot to street vendors without zoning into Whiterun proper. There really is a functional aspect to the mod, like it adds inns and shops to little villages that didn't have them before, so if you use something like Frostfall or a mod that makes nights too spooky-dark to navigate, it gives you more places to crash for the night.

By the way, in regards to the thing about skin textures, if there's a specific character you'd really like to customize and a mod for them doesn't already exist, I could slap one together in a pretty short time. Much quicker if you don't want to mess with meshes. I do this kind of thing all the time. I have this gigantic, unwieldy NPC overhaul mod where I merged a bunch of separate character mods into it and edited a bunch of other people myself. I can't ever share it legitimately because I stole assets left and right, and even packaging it for sharing would be an absolute nightmare and probably take days of work... but it's sure fun to mess with. If you ever wanted to try dicking around with the creation kit, taking a big NPC overhaul mod and editing the poo poo out of it is a pretty fun and easy starting point.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

They don't change the same things; as far as I know, Dawn of Skyrim changes the major hold cities, ETaC does not.

That said, both Dawn and ETaC will conflict with the full JK's Skyrim package, unless some madman has made a patch for the whole mess.

I only use the parts of JK that don't affect the hold cities, so the two don't overlap.

Also Skyrim started crashing on combat again. It turns out this time Hoth, who was still forced under EFF, was causing issues, and Inigo, who was now recruited properly, was doing fine.

Moral of the story: :siren: Never, ever EFF force recruit followers who have special scripting. The EFF scripts and the follower's own scripts will fight and you will suffer. :siren:

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

And has there ever been a mod that replaces the tavern bards with competent singers who have listenable songs (in an appropriate style, not rock or J-pop or whatever idiotic thing a typical :nexus: modder might come up with)?

I haven't seen anything like that, but I have found this mod which makes it so they only sing if you ask them to and just play instruments otherwise: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58555/

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Praetorian Mage posted:

I haven't seen anything like that, but I have found this mod which makes it so they only sing if you ask them to and just play instruments otherwise: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58555/

Thanks. I don't understand why the bards are so bad at singing, with the money Bethesda threw at Skyrim they could have hired Hansi Kursch to do bard voices and the expense would have been a rounding error.

Monni
Apr 24, 2010
So,, co-op.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67038/

Who wants to marry my gay lizard man?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Good news... Sort of! It turned out that the problem with my PC was I had a bad stick of RAM, but since it was paired I had to remove two. So my computer functions. With 2GB of ram. The nice news is that at least I haven't lost my 6 months of work on Last of the Dwemer. The less nice news is I probably won't have any free cash to buy more ram until the end of November. :qq:

poo poo, at least my PC isn't a loss. :)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SkyBirds is next on the mod chopping block for causing crashes (Inigo got lost so I decided to enter Windhelm again to guide him out, but the game kept crashing when I tried to do this. The log showed SkyBirds firing scripts as the last few lines, I disabled SkyBirds, the crashes stopped). I hope my saved game can cope with having mods ripped out of it, there is no alternative. :(
This crash appeared to happen for basically no reason, but I found that by waiting several seconds after loading the game before transitioning between the outside and Windhelm (after the scripts for OBIS, Helmet Toggle, etc. load), then I can avoid the crash.

E: looks like SkyBirds has a reputation for this too.

(also reproccing Patchus Maximus over and over gets really old)

Agents are GO! posted:

Good news... Sort of! It turned out that the problem with my PC was I had a bad stick of RAM, but since it was paired I had to remove two. So my computer functions. With 2GB of ram. The nice news is that at least I haven't lost my 6 months of work on Last of the Dwemer. The less nice news is I probably won't have any free cash to buy more ram until the end of November. :qq:

poo poo, at least my PC isn't a loss. :)

A drat shame, hope your luck improves soon. When you get more RAM do you plan on adding PerMa to your ASIS inis?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 25, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They already have PerMa support. I, as a rule, don't distribute overhaul perks to NPCs, for a variety of good reasons - NPCs still get vanilla perks. If you're wondering why, read the article on the improved INIs page entitled "Why vanilla perks are fine."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I saw some discussion on Purity a few pages back and I have a couple questions. I use Pure Waters and PW - Waterfalls already. I'd give Purity a shot because it looks really pretty, but I have a lot of things dependent on Climates of Tamriel and the weather portion conflicts, and it also recommends not using an ENB on top of it because it's yet another mod that claims you don't need one if you use this, so I'm a bit on the fence. I'd use it in a clean/new game but I'm not wild about starting yet another new one for hours just to see what it has to offer. So if anyone's tried the full package it, a) is it better than CoT, b) is it good enough to replace RealVision ENB or should I use both, and c) can I add it without starting a new game?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The problems just won't stop! Now Inigo is causing crashes again. I found a "followercompatibility.esp" that is supposed to make Inigo compatible with EFF, but works with old versions of both mods. I deleted that, disabled Inigo, and now I'm purging the scripts to both mods from my save file. Maybe I can re-enable Inigo again and without the broken followercompatibility.esp he will actually work this time. I'm going to run out of horses to give him.

E: I've done everything I can think of. I will just have to do without Inigo, introducing him causes crashes every time.

E2: It's still happening! Is my saved game completely ruined?

E3: gently caress this. Time to nuke it and start over. 30+ hours of a new character down the drain...

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 26, 2015

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Woolie Wool posted:

The problems just won't stop! Now Inigo is causing crashes again. I found a "followercompatibility.esp" that is supposed to make Inigo compatible with EFF, but works with old versions of both mods. I deleted that, disabled Inigo, and now I'm purging the scripts to both mods from my save file. Maybe I can re-enable Inigo again and without the broken followercompatibility.esp he will actually work this time. I'm going to run out of horses to give him.

E: I've done everything I can think of. I will just have to do without Inigo, introducing him causes crashes every time.

E2: It's still happening! Is my saved game completely ruined?

E3: gently caress this. Time to nuke it and start over. 30+ hours of a new character down the drain...
You can't really rip things out of an ongoing save and expect things to go well (unless it's something innocuous like retextures). You likely still have lingering scripts despite the changes you made; try running your save file through this script cleaner to see if you can salvage anything. You might get lucky!

Also, yeah, SkyBirds has a reputation for causing all sorts of problems. This list covers it and other mods that should be avoided.

EDIT: Whoops, it looks like I need to work on my reading comprehension! I'll leave this here just in case anyone finds these links useful.

basalt fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 26, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm restarting from a clean install, there were bits of mods from my old playthrough drifting around in my data folder most likely and it was not likely to be salvageable.

New load order:
0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
3 3 Dawnguard.esm
4 4 Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
5 5 HearthFires.esm
6 6 Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
7 7 Dragonborn.esm
8 8 Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
9 9 ApachiiHair.esm
10 a ApachiiHairMales.esm
11 b EFFCore.esm
12 c ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
13 d Solstheim Climate Overhaul.esm
14 e moonpath.esm
15 f RaceCompatibility.esm
16 10 ApachiiHairFemales.esm
17 11 Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
18 12 HighResTexturePack01.esp
19 13 HighResTexturePack02.esp
20 14 HighResTexturePack03.esp
21 15 Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
22 16 SkyUI.esp
23 17 Extended UI.esp
24 18 When Vampires Attack.esp
25 19 BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp
Proper Aiming.esp (merged)
26 1a InstantMining.esp
27 1b Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
28 1c Realistic crime report radius.esp
29 1d FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp
30 1e Masters of Death.esp
31 1f Babette.esp
32 20 ConvenientCrossbows.esp
33 21 Character Creation Overhaul.esp
34 22 CCO - Diverse Races And Genders.esp
35 23 CCO - Dynamic Skill Progression.esp
36 24 Bounty Gold.esp
37 25 UIExtensions.esp
38 26 CommonClothes.esp
39 27 FloraRespawnFix.esp
40 28 HowitzerW2Conv.esp
41 29 Baraban-Steel-Helms.esp
42 2a Baraban-Steel-Plate.esp
43 2b Baraban-Dawnguard-Plate.esp
44 2c LordOfWar_TW2.esp
45 2d Perfect Legionnaire - Troops Re-equipment.esp
46 2e HelmetToggle2.02b.esp
47 2f ArmorOfIntrigue.esp
48 30 VioLens.esp
49 31 Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
50 32 Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
51 33 Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp
52 34 Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
53 35 Solstheim - The Lost Levels.esp
54 36 Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp
55 37 OBIS.esp
56 38 OBISDB.esp
57 39 OBISDB-FaceMasksFix.esp
58 3a PerkusMaximus_Master.esp
59 3b ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
60 3c Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Brighter Dungeons.esp
61 3d BlackSacramentDBReplacer.esp
62 3e AOS.esp
63 3f Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
64 40 HARODATH_ImmersiveSoulgems.esp
65 41 Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
66 42 PerMa Expansion 1 - Wintermyst.esp
67 43 TH3WICK3D1-BlueStripesEliteArmor.esp
68 44 PerkusMaximus_Mage.esp
OpenFaceHelmets.esp (merged)
69 45 Black Mage Armor.esp
70 46 Brawl Bugs CE.esp
71 47 EnchantedArsenal.esp
72 48 NPC_Overhaul_V_1_.esp
73 49 Combat Evolved.esp
74 4a dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
75 4b AOS2_EBT Patch.esp
76 4c AOS2_CoT3_1_patch.esp
77 4d ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
78 4e ISCompendium AOS Patch.esp
ISCompendium CCO Patch.esp (merged)
79 4f ISCompendium Enhanced Blood Patch.esp
80 50 Solstheim Climate Overhaul - COT compatibility.esp
81 51 WATER.esp
82 52 WATER DG.esp
83 53 RevampedExteriorFog.esp
84 54 Civil War Overhaul.esp
85 55 Bring Out Your Dead.esp
86 56 Brothers.esp
87 57 Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp
88 58 DawnofSolitude.esp
89 59 DawnofWindhelm.esp
90 5a Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
91 5b JK's Falkreath.esp
92 5c WATER DB Waves.esp
93 5d JK's Dawnstar.esp
94 5e JK's Riverwood.esp
95 5f TheChoiceIsYours.esp
96 60 Dogs-of-Skyrim.esp
97 61 Run For Your Lives.esp
98 62 EFFDialogue.esp
99 63 Inigo.esp
100 64 DawnofRiften.esp
101 65 DawnofWhiterun.esp
102 66 Lore Weapon Expansion.esp
103 67 Ket_WEAPONIZER.esp
104 68 High Level Enemies.esp
105 69 Cloaks.esp
106 6a Point The Way.esp
107 6b SMIM-Merged-All.esp
108 6c moonpath_questdata.esp
109 6d Atlas Legendary.esp
110 6e Immersive Patrols II.esp
111 6f JK's Ivarstead.esp
112 70 konahrik_accoutrements.esp
113 71 flaho_shi_eagles_nest_ENG.esp
114 72 CCO - Permanent Birthsigns.esp
115 73 Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
116 74 DeadlyDragons.esp
117 75 LegendaryRings_Eng.esp
118 76 LegendaryRings_Rus.esp
119 77 DawnofMarkarth.esp
120 78 skyforgedShields.esp
121 79 Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp
122 7a ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Cold.esp
123 7b Unique Uniques.esp
124 7c AOS2_GDO Patch.esp
125 7d WATER Plants.esp
126 7e The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
127 7f HoldBorderBanners.esp
128 80 konahrik_accoutrements_db.esp
129 81 TBMTrueSnowElf.esp
130 82 Imperious - Races of Skyrim.esp
131 83 zzzSXP.esp
132 84 Convenient Horses.esp
133 85 KK_Lola_companion_wolfdog.esp
134 86 Guards armor replacement.esp
135 87 SRTOParallax.esp
136 88 dD-DG-DB-Immersive Creatures EBT Patch.esp
137 89 dD-Larger Splatter Size.esp
138 8a CL Ebonyblade.esp
139 8b skyforgedWeapons.esp
140 8c The Stamford.esp
141 8d CL Nettlebane.esp
142 8e CL BladeofSacrifice.esp
143 8f Insanity's Red Eagle's Bane.esp
144 90 InsanityEbonySword.esp
145 91 Real Months.esp
146 92 Real Days.esp
147 93 RaceMenu.esp
148 94 RaceMenuPlugin.esp
149 95 Atlas Compass Tweaks.esp
150 96 SFO - Dragonborn.esp
151 97 High Level Enemies - Dawnguard.esp
152 98 High Level Enemies - Dragonborn.esp
153 99 Immersive Music Temples.esp
154 9a Immersive Music Replacer.esp
155 9b garm_jr_no_armor.esp
156 9c BlackSacramentArmor.esp
157 9d Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
158 9e TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
159 9f CampingKitNorthernRanger.esp
160 a0 TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
161 a1 Apocalypse - PerMa Compatibility Patch.esp
162 a2 PerMaDefluffedPerkDescriptions.esp
163 a3 PerkusMaximus_Warrior.esp
164 a4 PerkusMaximus_Thief.esp
165 a5 Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and BOOZE.esp
166 a6 Apocalypse-PerMa-DefluffedPerkDescriptions.esp
167 a7 Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_v2.1.esp
168 a8 konahrik_accoutrements_dpe.esp
169 a9 QuieterDogs.esp
170 aa HonedMetal.esp
171 ab AMatterOfTime.esp
172 ac DeadlyCombat.esp
173 ad DeadlyCombat_GiantsAIFix.esp
174 ae Bashed Patch, 0.esp
175 af merged patch.esp
176 b0 ASIS-Dependency.esp
177 b1 ASIS.esp
178 b2 DeadlyCombat_ASIS_Patch.esp
179 b3 Patchus Maximus.esp

Hopefully I can open one of my old saves long enough to enter showracemenu and export my character's face. This will be his third time through, he's practically Roland from the Dark Tower now, doomed to endlessly repeat his quest until God stops blowing up the world with bad mod combinations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sweet Talos, the mod lists you guys use :stare:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Probably half of those plugins are patches to make mods play nice with Dawnguard/Dragonborn/each other, the actual number of discrete mods is much lower.

E: The old saves loaded successfully so I exported my character's face and hair. The old saves are AN ENTIRE WORLD OF NAKED PEOPLE.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 26, 2015

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Using Mod Organiser will solve the issue of lingering files potentially causing problems with your set up, as it uses a virtual directory rather than throwing things right into the data folder. If you're starting over regardless I'd take the opportunity to switch over.

Monni
Apr 24, 2010
Is noone seriously gonna care that skyrim now has multiplayer? I thought that was kinda of a big thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Monni posted:

Is noone seriously gonna care that skyrim now has multiplayer? I thought that was kinda of a big thing.

Skyrim has poorly implemented NPCs that are sorta controlled by other players but its hardly like... proper multiplayer. Its too gimmicky to use.

Monni
Apr 24, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Skyrim has poorly implemented NPCs that are sorta controlled by other players but its hardly like... proper multiplayer. Its too gimmicky to use.

I don't think we're talking about the same mod unless you just installed and tried it. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67038/.
The major npc sync was just added to the mod.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Monni posted:

I've spent 13 years trying to shoo filthy multiplayer away from my beloved Elder Scrolls, and I ain't gonna stop now. :colbert:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If there's going to be multiplayer Skyrim, there better be arena gladiator tournaments where players can battle to the death.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Monni posted:

We're goons. Posting in these threads is already at the outer limits of our human-contact comfort zones.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Deadly Dragons is so much better than Dragon Combat Overhaul or Dragons Diversified. Both of the latter are full of really gimmicky poo poo, while Deadly Dragons feels more seamlessly integrated into Skyrim, making dragons suitably climactic boss battles without feeling out of place.

(in my last playthrough, the supposedly incredibly difficult DCO only affected Mirmulnir, while the other dragons I fought, all from Dragons Diversified, were completely unaffected. Mirmulnir threw me around like a ragdoll while Irileth and the guards did the work of killing it, while the Dragons Diversified Dragons just...sat there and died, like vanilla dragons. The Frostsage's AoE attacks could have been deadly but I play as a Nord and had PerMa's Leathercraft effect and the Weatherward Circlet ring (from that pack that converts Morrowind rings to Skyrim), so I was all but invulnerable to frost damage.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 26, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Before you dismiss DCO as a poo poo mod: It really isn't really designed to make dragons tougher, just to make them less predictable. They fly around a lot more and it adds some randomization to when they will take off and land. It adds a few extra abilities and stuff too, but it's designed to be used alongside a mod that affects how strong they are, not as a replacement. It does make it incredibly tough to get close to them, so it's better suited to a ranged playstyle. Depending on how you play, it can either be a lot of fun or it can be a huge pain in the rear end. Or maybe both?

You can't really fault a mod for not being compatible with everything. If you've got one mod that edits vanilla dragons and another that adds non-vanilla dragons, you're really taking a gamble that the one will apply to the other at all. It sounds like they used different systems. This was actually one of the major arguments against paid mods: It's entirely possible to get two mods that each work flawlessly on their own, but when you install both together it's a disaster. Every mod list is inherently a teetering house of cards. If you expect every mod to be a polished product that integrates seamlessly with everything else, you're setting yourself up for a lot of disappointments. I mean, the game is barely compatible with itself!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Before you dismiss DCO as a poo poo mod: It really isn't really designed to make dragons tougher, just to make them less predictable. They fly around a lot more and it adds some randomization to when they will take off and land. It adds a few extra abilities and stuff too, but it's designed to be used alongside a mod that affects how strong they are, not as a replacement. It does make it incredibly tough to get close to them, so it's better suited to a ranged playstyle. Depending on how you play, it can either be a lot of fun or it can be a huge pain in the rear end. Or maybe both?

That didn't really come through clearly in the description, because of Apollodown's "unique" style. The description seemed to promise super tough epic dragon battles but then his descriptions rarely actually describe anything.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah like, through all his quirks the consistent message I got from DCO's description is that he designed it to be a ball-busting supertuff difficulty mod for dragon fights. So if it's really just about unpredictability, well that explains a number of things about my experience with it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just encountered a lightning breath dragon spawned by Deadly Dragons and holy poo poo did that lizard hit like a freight train. It would have one-shotted me if I was playing on a higher difficulty (I usually start on Novice and then raise the difficulty to Apprentice, Adept, and then Expert as my character becomes more powerful). :stare:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah like, through all his quirks the consistent message I got from DCO's description is that he designed it to be a ball-busting supertuff difficulty mod for dragon fights. So if it's really just about unpredictability, well that explains a number of things about my experience with it.

Yeah that dude is a freakin' nut and his descriptions are a hot mess, but what can you do.

The mod does make dragon fights more difficult, but not in terms of their stats and stuff, it affects their strategy. In the base game, a dragon basically flies around you in tight circles until it hits something like 25% health and then lands and stays there. DCO adds a random chance that they might get grounded every time they get hit, and also a chance to recover from being grounded and take off into the sky again. They also fly faster, fly further away from you when they're on the defensive, and have some stagger moves when they're on the ground. I think he did a lot of it by messing with the timing of their animations and editing their combat style. They're basically harder to hit. I think he might have even added location damage, like if you hit their wings they're more likely to drop, and if you hit their head it does extra damage. I found it mixed pretty well with a simple stat boost mod, but after a while I got tired of the fights taking so drat long, so for now I'm just using DCO by itself. It was fun for a while being terrified of dragons though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

DCO on its own never honestly made me worry about dragon fights, per se. It made me dread them because they became tedious for a number of reasons. Like, the fact that they stay in the air longer wasn't a big deal at the time because I was playing an archer but it sounds like it would be a huge slog for a melee character. Then there is the fact that it seems like dragons will randomly become fixated on things that are not you (despite you being the most credible threat to it), or run from fighting you when they get low on health (which "makes sense" but also "makes the fight a huge waste of time" and "loving sucks"), and then there is "limit break," where they bust out some ultramove when they are at low health sometimes. In theory this is a good idea, in practice a lot of them were spells that as far as I could tell you had no defense against, they would just kill you. So this has the same effect as running away in making the fight a huge waste of time with the added benefit of making me want to savescum. A system where they go into some kind of final desperation phase and they are more dangerous would be fine, making GBS threads apocalypse from the sky at random is not.

Maybe newer version addressed some of this. It didn't even have an MCM when I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I think he might have even added location damage, like if you hit their wings they're more likely to drop, and if you hit their head it does extra damage.

There was locational damage, but he removed it later on due to it being janky and clunky.

A surprisingly clarifying Apollodown paragraph posted:

"Why did you get rid of locational damage? Ultimate Dragons does it, why can't you?! Loser."

Locational Damage in skyrim doesn't work. I've tried it. The way it "works" is that when the object is hit by an arrow/sword/Schlong of Skyrim, a script calculates where the player is in relation to the hit object, and from that calculates which side was hit. What this means is that this system fails ALL THE TIME. Imagine if instead of a dragon, it's really a box. Sometimes, you'll fire at the wings, but it'll register it as a front hit. Other times, you'll fire at the tail, but because you moved to the side a bit too much after firing the arrow, or you have script lag, the hit shows up on the side as well. I didn't like how unreliable and unrealistic it was, so I got rid of it.

• Locked thread