Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

kazil posted:

One thing that drives me nuts about MGSV is when you extract a person, regardless of their stats, Miller goes "You're going to extract him?"

Could be A+ in every category, that fucker makes it sound like a chore to have him.

Miller is a weird jerk.

Speaking of the repeated tips every time I see tarragon Ocelot calls me to tell me that it contains trace amounts of benzos. Every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The helicopters and tanks have location based damage. Tanks and choppers take more damage from the rear, and hitting the tail rotor of a chopper will gently caress It Up.

The thing I hate the most about the random radio bits is that it will silence the cassette I'm listening to. MILLER SHUT THE gently caress UP I'M TRYING TO LISTEN TO YOU TALK ABOUT HAMBURGERS.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

ChaosArgate posted:

"Boss, get down! That's an enemy sniper."

"That's an enemy gunship. It's gun could cut a man in two."

Good god are the repeated tips annoying. Yes, Ocelot, I get it, I'll crawl to make sure those things can't see me. Speaking of gunships, gently caress gunships, the later stage ones are sturdy enough to withstand several volleys of rocket barrages. :argh:

You knocked out the enemy's anti-air radar? That wasn't one of the objectives but it's created a hole in their air surveillance network. You could probably land a chopper nearby now.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

SpookyLizard posted:

The helicopters and tanks have location based damage. Tanks and choppers take more damage from the rear, and hitting the tail rotor of a chopper will gently caress It Up.

The thing I hate the most about the random radio bits is that it will silence the cassette I'm listening to. MILLER SHUT THE gently caress UP I'M TRYING TO LISTEN TO YOU TALK ABOUT HAMBURGERS.

They completely silence the tapes, AND the tapes keep playing under it, so you have to go back into the iDroid menu to try and pause and rewind the tapes while you wait for him to shut up. It would be acceptable if Miller popping in paused the tape for the duration of his call, but no, he has to decide that he's more important than developing the latest burger technology.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Mad Max an early story mission involves you getting a bunch of stuff ready to blow up and tear down a gate that blocks off the other half of the map. Everyone acts like this is the only way to get there, until after you get it done. Then all of a sudden the guy who helped you tells you to steal a tanker truck and you blow up a blocked tunnel, giving you another way across.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

"Boss, get down! That's an enemy sniper."

"That's an enemy gunship. It's gun could cut a man in two."

Good god are the repeated tips annoying. Yes, Ocelot, I get it, I'll crawl to make sure those things can't see me. Speaking of gunships, gently caress gunships, the later stage ones are sturdy enough to withstand several volleys of rocket barrages. :argh:

beep by grandpa posted:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Boss, that's the target
He's coming too?

---

DoubleNegative posted:

You knocked out the enemy's anti-air radar? That wasn't one of the objectives but it's created a hole in their air surveillance network. You could probably land a chopper nearby now.

This one pisses me off every time I hear it. He sounds so confused, like you're a crazy person for doing something not directly related to the objective. And he says it every time.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

kazil posted:

One thing that drives me nuts about MGSV is when you extract a person, regardless of their stats, Miller goes "You're going to extract him?"

Could be A+ in every category, that fucker makes it sound like a chore to have him.

The thing that drives me nuts about extractions is even if I have the enemy drugged, or choked out, or whatever, they still scream out load when they go up.

On the other side, I smile every time I hear an extracted prisoner's jubilant "Whoooaaaa-hoo-hoo-hoooooo!" When they get taken up.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

10 Beers posted:

The thing that drives me nuts about extractions is even if I have the enemy drugged, or choked out, or whatever, they still scream out load when they go up.

I'm pretty sure this is entirely for comedic effect and the other enemies can't hear the scream. They only notice the balloon extraction if it's in their line of sight.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
On the positive side, enemies don't really hear their yelling. And if they're awake, they yell for someone to save them.

I really miss Miller's excited reaction to rescuing female prisoners in Peace Walker.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure if you extract someone who is awake and yelling for help, their screams can actually be heard from farther away. This might just be confirmation bias though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jmcrofts posted:

They only notice the balloon extraction if it's in their line of sight.

In their line of sight, and no more than ~30 feet away from them. MGS5 has some of the most hilariously blind enemies in any game I've played, where it can be broad daylight with you standing right in front of them pointing a gun at their head and they'll still be in the phase where they're trying to figure out whether or not this should alert them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

I'm pretty sure if you extract someone who is awake and yelling for help, their screams can actually be heard from farther away. This might just be confirmation bias though.

They can. That's why you shouldn't extraxt conscious guards. You can't even get guards to come look in the area before calling an alert.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In their line of sight, and no more than ~30 feet away from them. MGS5 has some of the most hilariously blind enemies in any game I've played, where it can be broad daylight with you standing right in front of them pointing a gun at their head and they'll still be in the phase where they're trying to figure out whether or not this should alert them.

30 meters. :eng101: That's much further than 30 feet.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

And why are we fighting this wizard and corrupted heroes from the history of Wraeclast? Their names have been heavily mentioned in the lore, but only as flavour, and there is no real reason for you and them to be fighting

What I hated about that is that these legendary heroes apparently have nothing better to do than stand around alone in the centre of large empty rooms waiting for you to show up.

Daresso was done better at least. There's still the "what am I doing in a dreamworld anyway?" issue, but at least they put some effort into it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It took a page from the Diablo 3 Saturday Morning Cartoon villains

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

kazil posted:

Oddly enough, in the Japanese version, the subtitles have it as the same question, but the audio is a more positive, "Roger, we're extracting him."

The NPCs can in fact do their own Pooyan thing and successfully shoot down guys you try to Fulton in their sight. It might have to do with their combat rank, since in the beginning they always failed but later in the game they seem to get a lot better at it.

In other Japan version news, Akio Otsuka's "Yosh, yosh" when petting DD is :3: as hell.

Edit: Crap, got the threads mixed up, thought this was the Little Things one.

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Sep 24, 2015

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Ryoshi posted:

The thing dragging D3 down for me is that it is so bland that even after beating it with two characters I legitimately cannot remember this.

If you were playing the game when "beating it" was still a thing that people did then you should give it another try, it got a pretty intensive overhaul to make it a Good Game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Morpheus posted:

They bring the best biscuits.

The deviled eggs are to die for.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

The worst part about this is that the game never gives any indication about the point of radars beforehand. You will never know that blowing them up is actually really quite useful until you do it out of boredom or accident, and afterwards you will hear about it every drat time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

If you were playing the game when "beating it" was still a thing that people did then you should give it another try, it got a pretty intensive overhaul to make it a Good Game.

Wasn't Destiny also really poo poo at launch? I'm amazed people kept playing that one, after Titanfall overstayed its welcome I would've thought it'd disappear too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't Destiny also really poo poo at launch? I'm amazed people kept playing that one, after Titanfall overstayed its welcome I would've thought it'd disappear too.

Destiny was actually pretty solid at launch and it got terrible reviews because it didn't suck you off while you played and it wasn't as supposedly earth shattering as balding middle aged reviewers misremembered the original Halo.

The amount of content was pretty big even if you did end up going through a lot of it several times, and in any case it was deeper than the CoD style of grinding (where you just play multiplayer over and over with new guns) that nobody seems to have a problem with.

The one thing that sucked about it early on and still today is that the story is a needlessly cryptic wet fart told almost entirely through weapon descriptions and a companion smartphone app.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perestroika posted:

The worst part about this is that the game never gives any indication about the point of radars beforehand. You will never know that blowing them up is actually really quite useful until you do it out of boredom or accident, and afterwards you will hear about it every drat time.

They mention it in the very first mission where you have to go to an outpost and blow up their communications radar. But they don't tell you what the anti-air radar looks like and since you can't mark it on your map at all, and the base of it is completely indestructible, I only found out by accident like two hours ago.

One really nitpicky thing that's getting on my nerves about Phantom Pain is that some enemies are just flat out psychic. I shot one dude at this outpost and a guy hops on the mortar and suddenly he knows where I am constantly. Even if I keep out of sight and on the move to prevent alerts or getting seen, without fail the mortars have near perfect aim. Snipers are bad too in the same way, I've literally been shot through walls by them when they shouldn't have had any reasonably line of sight.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ryoshi posted:

Destiny was actually pretty solid at launch and it got terrible reviews because it didn't suck you off while you played and it wasn't as supposedly earth shattering as balding middle aged reviewers misremembered the original Halo.

The amount of content was pretty big even if you did end up going through a lot of it several times, and in any case it was deeper than the CoD style of grinding (where you just play multiplayer over and over with new guns) that nobody seems to have a problem with.

The one thing that sucked about it early on and still today is that the story is a needlessly cryptic wet fart told almost entirely through weapon descriptions and a companion smartphone app.

Destiny was poo poo at launch and the only thing that saved it was some really loving solid core gameplay and the pedigree of Bungie. Yeah, the story sucked super balls (or, if we're using Destiny-style descriptions, it proto-sucked archon-spheres or some poo poo), filled with a grab-bag of random nonsense terms and lack of explanation anywhere except that dumb companion app. The fact that you'd randomly just get grimoire cards all over the place was neat until you realized there was no way to read them in the drat game.

I hear that the latest expansion is really fixing this though, everything from the quest structure to story to dialogue.

Anyway, I just got Shadow of Mordor: Game of the Year Edition and what's really dragging it down is the GOTY part. It feels awkwardly added into the game, requiring you to start new save slots or something for the side campaigns (instead of, like, presenting them as some sort of flashback or whatever, accessibly from the main campaign), and even in the title card of the game, when Talion is looking over the wastes of Mordor and SHADOW OF MORDOR comes on screen all dramatic and such, they for some reason felt the need to add in GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION underneath it, which was...I mean, why the heck did they think that was necessary? I'm waiting for someone to say "Yes, he is truly the Shadow of Mordor *turns to the camera* gameoftheyearedition."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Destiny was poo poo at launch and the only thing that saved it was some really loving solid core gameplay and the pedigree of Bungie. Yeah, the story sucked super balls (or, if we're using Destiny-style descriptions, it proto-sucked archon-spheres or some poo poo), filled with a grab-bag of random nonsense terms and lack of explanation anywhere except that dumb companion app. The fact that you'd randomly just get grimoire cards all over the place was neat until you realized there was no way to read them in the drat game.

I hear that the latest expansion is really fixing this though, everything from the quest structure to story to dialogue.

Yeah don't get me wrong aspects of the game were a hot mess on release but unlike 99% of shooters where it's completely accepted that nobody gives a poo poo about the story for some reason nerds really really wanted to know exactly WHY their space zombie wizard was mowing down hordes of evil space math robots. Like you said though, the core gameplay was solid as hell and it didn't have any "Press X to pay respects" bullshit so whatever, I'm still playing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

They mention it in the very first mission where you have to go to an outpost and blow up their communications radar. But they don't tell you what the anti-air radar looks like and since you can't mark it on your map at all, and the base of it is completely indestructible, I only found out by accident like two hours ago.

You can just shoot the dish? I've been wasting c4 on those things

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You can shoot the communications equipment, the dishes, and maybe the AA Radars, but I'm not sure on that.

Also you can point the binocs at the Radars and press the call button and miller/ocelot will give you intel. Then you can tag it yourself. It does suck that there's no automatic tagging for radars/dishes/power supplies/comms equipment.

Also when you get the water pistol you can shoot it at the vulnerable parts of stuff and it cause it to short out and blow up. Radios? Easy. Power Supply? Anywhere in that exposed panel. Communications dishes? Shoot some water into one of the vents. It will explodes shortly. Unfortunately enemies still suspect someone did something, which is unfortunate.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong aspects of the game were a hot mess on release but unlike 99% of shooters where it's completely accepted that nobody gives a poo poo about the story for some reason nerds really really wanted to know exactly WHY their space zombie wizard was mowing down hordes of evil space math robots. Like you said though, the core gameplay was solid as hell and it didn't have any "Press X to pay respects" bullshit so whatever, I'm still playing.

We prefer the term Immortal Space Loot Zombie, tyvm. :tipshat:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

Destiny, like Halo, was and is garbage. Everything it does has been done better somewhere else and with less multi million dollar marketing in your face.

Grawr.

Hearthstone: God drat the game is fun, but I wish it wasn't so card dependent. I go in to play some of these matches and people are whipping out cards I have never SEEN before that just shut down my standard-deck-having rear end.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Clearing out all the roadblocks/outposts in Arkham Knight is unnecessarily annoying because of psychic enemies. I take out a couple guys, fly off for a minute, then get nailed to a wall because the remaining militia/drones tracked me through a dozen buildings somehow.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rick_Hunter posted:

We prefer the term Immortal Space Loot Zombie, tyvm. :tipshat:

I love that this is an actual in game description of how the fallen think guardians are, a bunch of space assholes wielding space magic who just want to shoot and loot.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Shovel Knight's penultimate level is short, but has you fight all eight of the previous bosses. Luckily, they give you a platter with some chickens that refill your health and some magic after each one, so it's easy.

New Game + ups the difficulty by making enemies do twice as much damage, removing many level checkpoints, and making all platters that previously dropped chickens now just drop bombs. Luckily, every other platter in the boss rush still drops chickens. It can get pretty tough.

When playing as Plague Knight on New Game + in the new expansion, only one real health platter drops, after you kill four bosses :suicide:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

I love that this is an actual in game description of how the fallen think guardians are, a bunch of space assholes wielding space magic who just want to shoot and loot.

And never loving die. The guardian way must be a hell of a thing to be on the receiving end of. "Well guardian, there's only so many of them, just take this shotgun and run right at them until there aren't any left. Ghost will patch you up, no big."

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love MGSV, but there are long stretches of story missions that are just uninspired slogs with no story payoff. I'm specifically thinking about the ones from the first sniper fight to the FOB tutorial, then from the FOB tutorial to the next big story beat.

The briefing: "Boss, you need to sneak into a tightly clustered crowd of enemies with no cover. Yes they're the same ones from before but they have full body armor now. Yes that's the whole mission. Next time do the same thing but extract a tank. Then do the same thing and extract a truck. Then kind of do the same for eight missions."

The debriefing: "Boss, you wouldn't believe it but the people who hired us to do this thing are shady somehow."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

I love MGSV, but there are long stretches of story missions that are just uninspired slogs with no story payoff. I'm specifically thinking about the ones from the first sniper fight to the FOB tutorial,
Mission 12? 13? 18? 20? Some of the best (or at least most unique/story-important) missions in the game in that space.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fighting the Skulls in MGSV suck pretty much every time. They're very bullet spongey and have annoying abilities.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I picked up Shadow of Mordor for the 360 the other day, and while I've grown to really enjoy it, there's a lot of technical stuff that's bogging it down for me.

First of all, it's clearly a next-gen game they dumbed down for those of us with old consoles. The load times are as annoying as they are frequent (MENU SCREENS SHOULD NEVER HAVE LOAD TIMES, DAMMIT), the FMVs stutter and flicker, the audio cuts out at odd intervals, and the FPS is less than stellar. I'll accept a little cut content here and there -- because there's only so much a 360 can do compared to a PS4/Xbone -- but there's no excuse for the game to look as muddy and play as shoddily as it does.

It puts me in mind of Sonic Unleashed for the PS2, which is about as damning an admission as one could make for a game.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I picked up Shadow of Mordor for the 360 the other day, and while I've grown to really enjoy it, there's a lot of technical stuff that's bogging it down for me.

First of all, it's clearly a next-gen game they dumbed down for those of us with old consoles. The load times are as annoying as they are frequent (MENU SCREENS SHOULD NEVER HAVE LOAD TIMES, DAMMIT), the FMVs stutter and flicker, the audio cuts out at odd intervals, and the FPS is less than stellar. I'll accept a little cut content here and there -- because there's only so much a 360 can do compared to a PS4/Xbone -- but there's no excuse for the game to look as muddy and play as shoddily as it does.

It puts me in mind of Sonic Unleashed for the PS2, which is about as damning an admission as one could make for a game.

Get a real console.

Eta:saw your post in the other thread. apologies.

Bunni-kat has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Sep 27, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

muscles like this? posted:

Fighting the Skulls in MGSV suck pretty much every time. They're very bullet spongey and have annoying abilities.

Fighting them is actually optional almost every time. And usually escaping them is the easier option.

-When rescuing Kaz they of course outclass you by leaps and bounds, so you can't fight them anyway.
-Getting the Honey Bee you've got a good way to counter them, so it's easier to fight them than not, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to leave.
-Extracting the truck from the airport is tricky no matter what, but both fultoning and just driving the truck out are both a lot easier than fighting them.
-I'm pretty sure you can just pass them in Lufwa Valley, but even if you can't then they're different and far less painful Skulls anyway. Dunno why we didn't get more of those.
-Only at the crashed chopper is fighting the Skulls mandatory. And while that is a bitch of a mission, you can at least specifically gear for it.

They're a bitch to deal with, yes, but trying to kill them every time is a mistake.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Sep 27, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Screaming Idiot posted:

Should have bought it on PC since it's very well optimized. Probably cheaper too

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Away all Goats posted:

Should have bought it on PC since it's very well optimized. Probably cheaper too

Eh, my laptop's even more of a dinosaur than my 360. The drat thing breaks down in tears when I try to run something as simple as Flash. Still, if a company's going to release a game they need to make sure it runs well across all platforms. Shadow of Mordor may be a recent game, but I've got older 360 games that look a lot better and have practically the same amount of content -- look at the Arkham games, for example.

EDIT: Also, I bought my copy of Shadow of Mordor for $15, new. Last I checked it was still about $20 on Steam, though it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

Seconding Away all goats. I intentionally got it for PC once I heard they dumbed down the Nemesis system for the 360, and I only have a 360. They said they had to strip it a bit due to tech limitations.