Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

blinking beacon nose posted:

Some of the controls make no God damned sense. (Old Moto360 here.)

Long press the watch face, the screen that's active most of the time, to change watch faces? I don't need access to other watch faces on demand. I especially don't need access to them on accident.

The only times I have the watchface switcher pop up uninvited is when the screen is wet or when the UI kept locking up in one of the previous updates.

Maybe it's a #roundwatch thing? I can't even figure out how to reproduce it on purpose. The most obvious way (folding arms) just activates the palm screen gesture.

Skywalker OG posted:

I'm asking this because I have the G Watch and it's a bit stuttery. Would performance be any better on these new ones if they're using the same soc?

Depends on exactly what the "Snapdragon 400" in the new devices ends up being. The 400 in pre-IFA Wear devices (aka everything which isn't the 360 2014) was only single core since 3 out of the 4 cores was disabled. The new watches might be using the identically named dual core Krait version of the 400. Or maybe they're using the quad core 400, but Qualcomm was able to tweak the architecture such that 2 cores out of the 4 can run with a similar footprint to last year (and then kept the same name to make things as confusing as possible). Or maybe it really is exactly the same so performance is exactly the same.

There's no way to know until Arstechnica/Anandtech post full reviews of the IFA watches.

Rastor posted:

Huawei Watch vs. Moto 360 2015. Lots of pictures included.

I think JR Raphael's take over at Computer World did a better job at highlighting the differences: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2984496/android/huawei-watch-new-moto-360.html

Reverse Centaur posted:

Basically "pay $50 to have the flat tire removed."

I can understand why it may be a bit more difficult for those who actually have access to motomaker in their country, or really really love qi charging, but otherwise...

For me the killer blow is the fact that AP ripped open a Huawei Watch and confirmed it has a speaker:

Given the Phandroid blogger who leaked 1.3 in its entirety has come out and said he was already told by an insider that it had hidden hardware and back in May the AP head said Wear was due speaker support it seems pretty clear Google intends to release it as part of the AW Marshmallow update.

Credit due to Samsung - I thought watch phone calls was a stupid idea 2 years ago, but after seeing Apple Watch in action I'm a complete convert. Though to be fair, Samsung Gear 1 ad didn't exactly help my initial bias:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nJKWJTsUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vagrancy posted:

Maybe it's a #roundwatch thing? I can't even figure out how to reproduce it on purpose. The most obvious way (folding arms) just activates the palm screen gesture.
I wear shorts a lot when sitting around in my house and my arm touches my leg and triggers the watchface change.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I trigger the change watch face constantly by folding my arms.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I was totally leaning towards the 360-2, but if that speaker thing is true that flips my world upside down.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

uPen posted:

I trigger the change watch face constantly by folding my arms.
So do I, and it's very annoying.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I'm always smug, thus constantly triggering watch face changer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Well the Huawei is super-tempting but the lack of universal wireless charging is a huge huge huge deal breaker.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

My favorite watch face you can't even see the flat tire. (not that I care the slightest bit about the flat tire)

BadApps Quartz

I like its retro feel.

I tried to use that one, but I thought the square face looked weird on my round 360.

I've found that Ranger Watch Face displays a lot of info, and is very user friendly:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

360 v2 looks pretty great here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJd-kWJ-88M

I'd prefer it over the Huatch if it was full circle.

I will have my Huatch on Friday.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Huatch review from pocket now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYbUi7XuyY

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ars has their review up now for the new 360.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/the-second-generaiton-moto-360-a-beautiful-compact-design-without-much-new-tech/

Their review unit was a 42mm one since the reviewer has smaller wrists.

The following image is interesting when compared to the Huawei.

Part of the difference is due to the smaller size watch, but part of it is how Huawai obtains slim bezels without the flat tire. They stuff the display control circuitry in between the lugs of the watch which push them out a bit further. That causes it to fit a little worse on smaller wrists.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That photo is a joke. He's not resting it flat on his wrist like the 360 and the band is not fitted so of course it looks worse. Why do people feel the need to do this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

That photo is a joke. He's not resting it flat on his wrist like the 360 and the band is not fitted so of course it looks worse. Why do people feel the need to do this?

The lugs on the Huawei quite obviously sit up higher. How the photo is staged doesn't change that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Huatch is waiting at home for me right now. I'll post a photo that compares to the one on the right.

Those are like Three Olives sized wrists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing it did make me realize is that my nifty Qi battery pack won't work with the new 360 due to the lugs. The watch won't lay flat, the lugs will keep the body elevated.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's how it looks on me, unfitted, but sitting properly on my wrist. I can recreate his photo by putting on my wrist bone too.

Very first impressions, very nice build quality but almost too small - but I come from g-shocks and other ginormo watches. Definitely happy with it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In both pictures you do pretty much have the same effect going on, it's just not as pronounced since your wrist is bigger. The band more or less departs the watch at a 90 degree angle since the lugs come straight out from the body. It's not necessarily bad, but you can see where they made the fitment compromise to get the thin bezels.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
For comparison an original moto 360 can fit like this.

gently caress all y'all :smug:

Magog fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 24, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah, I see it, but coming from the Urbane it's miniscule. :) I'm very happy so far. Taking the links out was stressful as hell since I suck at it, must've accidentally turned the screen on at least four times, but I'm glad I got the steel link because it looks incredible.

Other thoughts:

-The charger is garbage compared to LG's ones, and of course Moto's. Too small and no guidance to help you line up the pins. The GWR/Urbane charger was no worse than the 360's, as far as "just place it down to charge," but this one is a step down.

-The vibration is bad compared to the Urbane, which I guess comes with being considerably smaller. Not sure if this is gonna be an issue yet.

-Screen is the best yet, leaps and bounds ahead of all older AW watches, and it seems to run smoother than every other AW watch I've tried too.

-Face selection is much better than LG's, and the "dim" mode on most is really great. Looks like real dials.

One more photo to show off the screen

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Huawei Watch vs. the new Moto 360: A detailed real-world comparison by JR Raphael over at ComputerWorld

"I've been spending the past week getting to know the new Moto 360 ($300 to $450, depending on style and options) and the Huawei Watch ($350 to $800, depending on model). I've been alternating every other day and wearing each watch from morning to night in order to get a feel for what it's actually like to use in day-to-day life. And, of course, I've been doing plenty of direct comparisons.

So which watch is the one to get? After living with both devices in the real world, the answer is more apparent than you might think.

When I look at the two watches sitting on my counter every morning, the Huawei is always the one I want to reach for. Why? Simple: After alternating between the devices for the past week, it's become abundantly clear that Huawei made the more balanced and pleasant-to-use all-around product."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Read the review. Agree with their objective points. Have no doubt the Huawei is backed by the better hardware solely due to the display. It seems silly to spend the same amount on the 360.

That said, I just desire the 360 2 more. Not sure what it is about it, I just like what I see better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

In pictures the 360 just looks better to me. I don't like the way the lugs look on the Huawei.

On the other hand, I'm intrigued by the rumor about the speaker in the Huawei.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a curiosity and it's obvious that google is going to add some sound support to wear. I just can't see where it will be a use to me. I keep my phone purely on vibrate most of the time and that's in my pocket. I don't want my wrist dinging and I have no interest in carrying out phone conversations from my wrist for any purpose other than pretending I'm a secret agent every once and awhile. NFC is a more useful add as far as I'm concerned, but I doubt we'll see watches with it until next spring and who knows when google is going to implement it.

I shipped my 360 in for RMA today for the cracked back and it really made me realize how much I've gotten used to having it on my wrist. Just having to enter my pin into my phone over and over again was annoying enough.

I keep hovering over the "buy" button on a moto maker 360 2. I would probably get it around the same time I get a 1st gen back from RMA. It makes sense to do it at this point if I'm going to do it since my RMA replacement will be nice and fresh and an easier sell. I still can't help feel as though I'm being silly though.

I think the biggest issue to me is I don't think the crack backing is a defect in material so much as the way you wear it. In other words, I have no confidence that it won't crack again on my wrist so it makes sense to trade up right after it is fixed.

Not that the cracks affected functionality outside of how watertight it is, but it annoyed me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Found a 42mm black/black Moto 360 2015 at bestbuy. Can verify it charges on my regular old qi chargers regardless of what moto says.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Found a 42mm black/black Moto 360 2015 at bestbuy. Can verify it charges on my regular old qi chargers regardless of what moto says.

I don't know, really, but based on what the internet suggests, it will not. For example, it won't lay flat, so charging on the Qi pads you already have won't work. I think the lugs prevent it from working in the OG 360 Qi dock (and flat pads).

If this is true, it's as bad as the Huawei proprietary charger. Qi is no longer a ubiquitous feature on the gen2 360.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

I don't know, really, but based on what the internet suggests, it will not. For example, it won't lay flat, so charging on the Qi pads you already have won't work. I think the lugs prevent it from working in the OG 360 Qi dock (and flat pads).

If this is true, it's as bad as the Huawei proprietary charger. Qi is no longer a ubiquitous feature on the gen2 360.

I had it charging on my lg lcw300 puck

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I had it charging on my lg lcw300 puck

Oh, carry on then. I have no clue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whelp, looks like I waited too long and now it's OOS on Motorola's site.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bull3964 posted:

It's a curiosity and it's obvious that google is going to add some sound support to wear. I just can't see where it will be a use to me. I keep my phone purely on vibrate most of the time and that's in my pocket. I don't want my wrist dinging and I have no interest in carrying out phone conversations from my wrist for any purpose other than pretending I'm a secret agent every once and awhile. NFC is a more useful add as far as I'm concerned, but I doubt we'll see watches with it until next spring and who knows when google is going to implement it.
I could see sound being good for fitness stuff, timers, & things like that. Basically a buzzer/chime function.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Two reviews I've read (Ars and ComputerWorld, I think) both reported that it charges just fine on the OG dock, despite Motorola claiming otherwise.

Don Lapre, any chance of a photo of it sitting on the puck, just to give an idea of how much (if at all?) it is raised from the surface? I occasionally charge my 360 using my Nexus QI charger and it'd be good if that is still an option. Though I haven't 100% decided to upgrade yet. Have seen a few initial reports that the battery life and/or performance are much improved but still sub-par.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea I think it's not actually charging. Just thinks it is but sits too far off. I'll see how fast it charges tonight.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Maybe it's for their new Nearby thing.

Android Central posted:

Google has introduced Nearby, a new way for smartphone users to discover and communicate with each other. Nearby will utilize Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and an inaudible sound to establish proximity for the communication. With this new API, people will be able to communicate cross platform between Android and iOS. With the most recent release of Google Play Services 7.8, all developers can have access to the new API, and the best part is Nearby does not require a Google Account.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-introduces-nearby-new-way-connect-everything-around-you

e: article link

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Is anyone's 2014 Moto 360 reporting ~12 hours battery life now after the recent updates? I distinctly remember getting 18+ a month or two ago.

Edit:
Oh also i bet the 46 mm 360 will charge on the old puck but the 42 mm wouldn't.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 25, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't noticed a difference. With ambient off I'm able to get two full workdays out of it.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Watched making noise isn't exactly unprecedented. I'd love my SW3 to beep as well as vibrate when a timer alert goes off.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

therobotking posted:

Watched making noise isn't exactly unprecedented. I'd love my SW3 to beep as well as vibrate when a timer alert goes off.

This. I don't want to conduct phone calls or listen to music on my watch, but an alarm beep option would be greatly appreciated. A lo-fi speaker would be enough for me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Was putzing around in Best Buy this afternoon and spotted one Huawei watch (and 3 new 360s) in the case. Ended up grabbing the Huawei. Not too enamored with the leather band, but it looks to be very swappable, so will grab a metal one later.

If you do get any watch at Best Buy, don't forget the $15 gift card offer. They had a stack of xeroxed papers by the display. Just bring it to the register and get your card (you can't use it on the purchase).

Looks pretty nice so far. The 360 looks good too, but the display is dim, jagged text and overall reheated leftovers from the 1st gen (I never liked the first one to begin with).

The BB guys were stunned they had one at all, as was I. Impulse buy for sure. $40 in reward credits plus the $15 gift card made it easier to just buy it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

What gift card offer?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

What gift card offer?

I really don't know. There was a small stack of black and white little square coupons with a bar code sitting on top of the watch case. I didn't even see them until the sales guy was like "oh, here's a coupon for a $15 gift card - works on any watch except the Apple Watch." He just scanned the bar code and I walked out with a gift card.

Says "demo days" or whatever on my receipt. No clue, really. Just free money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Apologies for repeating the previous poster, but... what reward credits? I'm looking through the current BB deals, and I'm not seeing it.