Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

To be fair the Jew kid has probably no idea how it really was to live in a ghetto in 1940

To be fair, if they were in a civics class neither of them probably knew what it was like to live in any ghetto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
This is an argument two highschoolers had comparing apples to nazi oranges. Both suck and does a disservice to both groups to compare them.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Just Offscreen posted:

This is an argument two highschoolers had comparing apples to nazi oranges. Both suck and does a disservice to both groups to compare them.

Would a nazi orange be like a blood orange?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Smelly posted:

Would a nazi orange be like a blood orange?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta#History

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Well poo poo, learn something new everyday.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

dreesemonkey posted:

I guess I'm just ignorant, but a few points about why I wouldn't have gotten that without explanation:

1. I knew about the "nazis making them wear such and such so we can identify jews", but I didn't know they called jews "Jude"
2. I've heard of Yom Kippur, but have no idea what it was for. For all I know it could have been a sacred Jewish holiday in remembrance of the holocaust like veteran's day/nine eleven/memorial day. So even if I knew about "Jude", it could genuinely be an image you could use to represent that.

Again, I'll freely admit I'm a dumb american.

I didn't know the context of that picture either so I thank you for asking that question.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Does that make "Hey Jude" a Holocaust remembrance song?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Juwes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Gorilla Salad posted:

You take it back, Jack!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Smelly posted:

Well poo poo, learn something new everyday.

And later, go read up on the history of Puma and Adidas.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, rip.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrBouvenstein posted:

There really were a bunch of great things coming out of Germany during that period, wasn't there? With a few exceptions I guess.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also Hugo Boss. There's a reason the Nazis were the best dressed army

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

Cacafuego posted:

Also Hugo Boss. There's a reason the Nazis were the best dressed army
Like a boss. Or something.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There really were a bunch of great things coming out of Germany during that period, wasn't there? With a few exceptions I guess.

Major soap exporters, for one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Marcade posted:

Didn't they do a brisk lampshade business, or was that a cottage industry cornered by Ed Gein?

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Marcade posted:

You had to pay premium if you wanted it in free range.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PaulBearer posted:

Like a boss. Or something.

Is this Al Bundy?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Is this Al Bundy?

Yes.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

RFC2324 posted:

Is this Al Bundy?

Nah, it's Jay Prichett.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

omnibobb posted:

Nah, it's Jay Prichett.

It's goddamn Al Bundy

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

flosofl posted:

Didn't they do a brisk lampshade business, or was that a cottage industry cornered by Ed Gein?

That only really happened at Buchenwald. The camp commandant's wife, Ilse Koch, was really into tattoos, so whenever a Jewish inmate with interesting ink was selected, she'd have them flense those bits off the corpse prior to cremation and then tan them into human leather in various forms.

Captain_Maclaine has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Sep 24, 2015

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That only really happened at Buchenwald. The camp commandant's wife, Ilse Koch, was really into tattoos, so whenever a Jewish inmate with interesting ink was selected, she'd have them flense those bits off the corpse prior to cremation and then tan them into human leather in various forms.

Having read Scourge of the Swastika by Edward Russell, I think there's a German word for it, can't remember it though

Edit: not sure a witness

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I had heard about this rumour but the article you linked seems to suggest it was very likely regular goatskin lampshades and the human skin leather was a sensationalist newspaper article:

quote:

Jean Edward Smith in his biography, Lucius D. Clay, an American Life, reported the general maintained that the leather lamp shades were really made out of goat skin. The book quotes a statement made by General Clay years later:

There was absolutely no evidence in the trial transcript, other than she was a rather loathsome creature, that would support the death sentence. I suppose I received more abuse for that than for anything else I did in Germany. Some reporter had called her the "Bitch of Buchenwald", had written that she had lamp shades made of human skin in her house. And that was introduced in court, where it was absolutely proven that the lamp shades were made out of goat skin.
According to the Buchenwald Report, there was a factory at Buchenwald that produced leather goods out of animal skins, but it had caught fire during an Allied bombing raid on the camp on 24 August 1944.[citation needed]

It's a big ambiguous because the last line isn't cited but still.

Edit - and this as well:

quote:

Under the pressure of public opinion Koch was re-arrested in 1949 and tried before a West German court. The hearing opened on 27 November 1950 before the Assize Court at Augsburg and lasted seven weeks, during which 250 witnesses were heard, including 50 for the defense. Koch collapsed and had to be carried from the court in late December 1950,[13] and again on 11 January 1951.[14] At least four separate witnesses for the prosecution testified that they had seen Koch choose tattooed prisoners, who were then killed, or had seen or been involved in the process of making human-skin lampshades from tattooed skin.[13] However, this charge was dropped by the prosecution when they could not prove lampshades or any other items were actually made from human skin.[15]

I Am Crake has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Sep 24, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I for one still don't trust people named Koch.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

New Leaf posted:

Does that make "Hey Jude" a Holocaust remembrance song?

Nah. Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

It's goddamn Al Bundy

Not wearing a gi, not Ed O'Neill.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

I Am Crake posted:

I had heard about this rumour but the article you linked seems to suggest it was very likely regular goatskin lampshades and the human skin leather was a sensationalist newspaper article:

Not to continue this derail much further, but I've read accounts from Buchenwald survivors that, while none of them claim to have seen the skinning and tanning firsthand, lend more credence to both her being a horrible monster generally, and also to having commissioned the human leather things. We should probably let it go, though, this being the funny pics thread and all.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Holy crap! When I was a kid, living in Germany, some old people called cola "fanta". Never understood why. Enjoy your refreshing Nazi-Cola!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Skaw posted:

Not wearing a gi, not Ed O'Neill.

It's not Ed O'Neill. It's goddamn Al Bundy

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Someone has had a bit of fun with the bad.horse url

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hyperlynx posted:

Nah. Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.

:golfclap:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Birb Katter posted:

Someone has had a bit of fun with the bad.horse url

Ha, that's got to be edited.

Oh my god, it works. :aaa:

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

President Ark posted:

and here I thought arbitrary tld's might be a bad thing... :allears:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

President Ark posted:

You're not the only one who thought it was bs at first, I checked before posting it.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Man, that's a creepy squirrel. Looks more like midget in a cheap costume than anything.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Man, that's a creepy squirrel. Looks more like midget in a cheap costume than anything.

What is wrong with you and the things you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Birb Katter posted:

You're not the only one who thought it was bs at first, I checked before posting it.

And of course the cherry on top is the site itself, http://bad.horse

• Locked thread