Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

For the love of all that is holy, get the 1/2 issue. It's free and one of my favorite single issues ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

head58 posted:

For the love of all that is holy, get the 1/2 issue. It's free and one of my favorite single issues ever.

Is that Nearness of You? Because hell yes, easily my favorite single issue of anything.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't really kept up with Astro City's newest volume lately, I'll eventually catch back up, but I definitely recommend dipping your toes in first before going all in. It's hard for me to put myself in the position of someone coming into it totally new while it's already so established but I can imagine some people being overwhelmed by the density of it all. I mean there's a lot going on in the Astro City comics and there's a lot to take in. And when you hear the pitch of a city of superheroes you might think one thing but the way the series approaches it is probably not what you're thinking you're getting into. That said, it is very rewarding and very much worth continuing if you dip your toes in and like what you're getting.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Opopanax posted:

Is that Nearness of You? Because hell yes, easily my favorite single issue of anything.

It is. I haven't read it in years because every time a-blu-blu-blu.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

head58 posted:

It is. I haven't read it in years because every time a-blu-blu-blu.

I think it's worth pointing out that those are sorta-happy tears, at least for me, considering 'it makes you cry' is about all people want to say about that issue if they're not willing to discuss the actual content because spoilers. It's not 20 pages of utter depression, it's both tragic and a ringing endorsement of the strength of an ordinary person.

"No-one forgets. No-one." gives me chills every time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah, that and the one with the doorman are amazing, but the first issue is pretty damned good about setting the tone of what Busiek's doing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man my Comixology subs are squirrelly as gently caress. Some subs download first thing after release, some never download and I end up having to get them through the store.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
That sounds like what happened to me with the iOS app, I had to logout and back in again.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Star Wars is on MU now, which might not be news. But they are offering :10bux: off, which is pretty rare, with the code SAVE. Not sure if you have to be a former subscriber.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Mouse-Guard-Sale/page/8134?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They added like 1500 star wars comics too. Lots of cool stuff

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Do we know if Marvel Unlimited is going to be upgraded to HD ever or is it going to have SD stuff forever? Id gladly pay more per month for HD.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Astro City is pretty awesome. I don't regret the over $70 I spent on digital comics.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Do any of you use an android app to keep track of what you've read, and plan to read?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Deathlok is on sale.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since they are on sale, are any of those recent New 52 books for Batman worth getting in this sale? I heard a lot of good stuff about Batgirl.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rirse posted:

Since they are on sale, are any of those recent New 52 books for Batman worth getting in this sale? I heard a lot of good stuff about Batgirl.

Batman and Grayson are good

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rirse posted:

I've really enjoyed Scott Snyder and Greg Cupullo's run of Batman so far.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Batgirl is great, but you have to wonder how well it will age. It is definitely a product of its time.

I hear great things about Gotham Academy, but it didn't seem like it was up my alley, so I never read it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, now's the time to try!

hadji murad posted:

What's the scoop on Grayson?

It's great! Grab Nightwing #30 where Grayson's writers transition in to the series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 22, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I really like Gotham Academy!

What's the scoop on Grayson?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've heard The Long Halloween is very good. Is it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OhFunny posted:

I've heard The Long Halloween is very good. Is it?

It's a really influential Batman story with great art and a plot that makes less sense the more you think about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It's also a really good standalone story if you don't read Batman regularly. Good introduction to his rogues gallery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Medullah posted:

It's also a really good standalone story if you don't read Batman regularly. Good introduction to his rogues gallery.

That's pretty much why it gets recommended a lot as an introduction. It's a big, broad, splashy story that hits a lot of the things that are associated with Batman.

The Arkham games have similar strengths and weaknesses in fact.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a new Humble Comics Bundle up, and it's all Banned Book Week themed. I had a nice list of what's inside, all typed up nicely, but then my modem decided to fall into a coma for the next few hours, and I'm not restyling that on a touchscreen! Bone's in it, though, so that's good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Kins posted:

There's a new Humble Comics Bundle up, and it's all Banned Book Week themed. I had a nice list of what's inside, all typed up nicely, but then my modem decided to fall into a coma for the next few hours, and I'm not restyling that on a touchscreen! Bone's in it, though, so that's good.

I was coming to post that!
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Bone
Wytches
Love and Rockets
Essex County
The Boys
Elfquest
LoEG

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 23, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bone was banned?

Also I guess I can't buy comics today, Comixology hasn't been able to process an order for me all day and the humblebundle page isn't working when I click on payment options :eng99:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I forget why Bone was banned, but I think it was because it depicts sexuality. I also know when it was colorized, Scholastic asked Jeff Smith to change beer to butterbeer or root beer or something and he refused.

Anyway, this is a fantastic bundle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If you click the individual titles in the bundle, there's a link to the CBLDF page explaining why they've been challenged and what the Fund did to help combat it. Bone seems to mainly be down to the fact that some of the Bones and other characters drink and smoke, with one case of someone complaining about violence.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, smoking is the one specific reason I remember Bone being under attack.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

If you click the individual titles in the bundle, there's a link to the CBLDF page explaining why they've been challenged and what the Fund did to help combat it. Bone seems to mainly be down to the fact that some of the Bones and other characters drink and smoke, with one case of someone complaining about violence.

Ugh, church ladies.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If you like Avatar: The Last Airbender and want to see some loose ends wrapped up from the original series, that's the latest Comixology sale. I read and enjoyed them all, Gene Luen Yang gets that series so well IMO.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pretty sure a bunch of collections just got added to the Batman Day sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-1000-and-Collections-Sale/page/8267?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Killing Joke, Hush, Snyder Batman vol1&3 (not #2), Earth One, Long Halloween, N52 Justice League vol1, Arkham Assylum, N52 Nightwing vol1, Batman Eternal vol1-2, N52 Harley Quinn vol1, N52 Batman and Robin vol1, Arkham Knight vol1, Batman '66 vol1, Grayson vol1, Batgirl (of Burnside) vol1, Gotham Academy vol1. $3.99 each.
That's a HUGE deal for stuff like Eternal which has 21 issues in one collection, and a HUGE bummer for anyone who just got the singles in the sale.

You can also get a free comic that includes the first issue of the Batman: Endgame storyline and a preview of Batman and Robin Eternal.
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-2...bnRBZGRpdGlvbnM

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 26, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm so glad I waited on Grayson and a couple others.

Yo buy Grayson.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Norns posted:

I'm so glad I waited on Grayson and a couple others.

Yo buy Grayson.

Same here with Batgirl and Gotham Academy. Guess I will grab Grayson since it still cheaper then buying the issues I would had otherwise.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Mother fucker! God dammit I got the singles day one

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I bought everything I didn't own. Doubt I'm going to see it cheeper than 4 bucks.

Man I'm go to be so happy when they finally add an unlimited sub...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I already purchased Gotham Academy and Snyder's Batman in the single issues sale plus Year One and Morrison's Batman.

Guess I'll pick up The Killing Joke, Hush, The Long Halloween, and Grayson trades.

Anything I've overlooked in this Batman binge I'm on? :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Anything I've overlooked in this Batman binge I'm on? :shepspends:

Might as well get on Batman Eternal with that price. A lot of it spins off of Snyder's stuff and some neat things are set up, like Catwoman's recent mob boss run and the current Specter for 'Gotham by Midnight'.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 26, 2015