Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
I love it when people refer to this game as 'art'.

While playing yesterday I found a tape that was just literally a recording of a man making GBS threads for 30 seconds.

It was called: "Solider with a stomach ache, recorded in the bathroom." or something.

Kojima is truly the finest auteur of our generation.

electricsugar fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

electricsugar posted:

While playing yesterday I found a tape that was just literally a recording of a man making GBS threads for 30 seconds.

It was called: "Solider with a stomach ache, recorded in the bathroom." or something.

So, next you'll tell me Caddyshack isn't art? It's art/entertainment. Art doesn't only apply to... whatever it is you apparently think it only applies to.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/24/transformable-metal-gear-sahelanthropus-figure-coming-to-japan-next-april/

AWWWW poo poo Get your wallets out

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Someone should probably alert all of those incredibly well-regarded authors and filmmakers that you can't make "art" if it has poop jokes in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

electricsugar posted:

Play the tape when you're hiding in the toilets and soldiers searching for you will steer clear.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Heavy Metal posted:

So, next you'll tell me Caddyshack isn't art? It's art/entertainment. Art doesn't only apply to... whatever it is you apparently think it only applies to.

I didn't mean to suggest that the Metal Gear games aren't artistic. On the contrary, I think they're amazing creative achievements.

But they're also juvenile and low-brow at the same time. That's part of why we all love them.

That said, it seems it undermine my arguments a bit when I spend 15 minutes trying to explain to my girlfriend why Kojima is brilliant and Metal Gear games are incredible and then a scene like this this comes up...

SynthOrange posted:

Play the tape when you're hiding in the toilets and soldiers searching for you will steer clear.

And that's why I love Kojima :swoon:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Also play it over the speaker during the jeep ride.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I want to play a game with a character named Hot Coldman.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Heavy Metal posted:

I love that ending. I've watched it several times, the bit where you get that smirk while looking through the broken mirror is my wallpaper, that's right. It sure has no relation to "and it was all a dream", like Dallas or something. Everything happened, and actually everything is very badass and cool.

I didn't say that it is a literal "it was all a dream" ending. I said that it was the Metal Gear equivalent, i.e. its version of that sort of boring last-second swerve, made worse by forcing a replay of the most boring part of the game when a condensed flashback version would have sufficed.

I wonder why they went with such bland bosses. Most Metal Gears have cartoony mercenary weirdos who at least have some personality or fun quirk to them. Between the Skulls and the Man on Fire, there were too many fights against mindless bullet sponges.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shine posted:

I didn't say that it is a literal "it was all a dream" ending. I said that it was the Metal Gear equivalent, i.e. its version of that sort of boring last-second swerve,

I'd compare it more to something like Fight Club. It's a cool revelation, at least for my taste.

On a more general discussion, I don't get why so many are really upset by the twist, somebody called it trolling, etc. Is the series Metal Gear Solid about being the guy from MGS3? It is not. Who is Big Boss? He's the guy from Metal Gear from '87, and a guy who is mentioned a bit in the hit Metal Gear Solid. In this game you play as the guy from Metal Gear ('87). You really are that guy. That guy isn't who you thought he is, but then again who did you think he was? He was a cookie cutter bad guy from a game not many had even played when MGS came out.

Naked Snake is a guy you care about and empathize with in MGS3, and he's practically a personality transplant of Solid Snake from the previous games. Only more naive and inexperienced. In that game it was cool even though we weren't the beloved Solid Snake from the previous games. What's the problem with Venom Snake not being the beloved guy from MGS3 and PeaceWalker? Why is that essential?

The guy you play as is "Big Boss", the legendary guy we've been hearing about in MGS. And so is another guy, who we first played as in MGS3. You're both Big Boss, together. Neither one of those people is the larger than life legend by themselves. I think that's cool. This puts a whole new spin on it.

Even if you don't happen to care for the revelation there, just curious what it is you find problematic about it?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SynthOrange posted:

Aw man did mission 43. :smith:

Dammit Quiet I researched that loving anti-material rifle for you and you barely got to use it.

Definitely get the mod that adds her back. After you run a mission with her, she even gets her pictures added back to the ACC.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

That twist is so sick because it neatly ties up why BB "forgot" (never knew, or was finding out on the spot) everything he'd msg you about, and how the call origin switched with this boss no longer "forgetting" stuff. I can't think of a single series that's attempted a 28 year story tie-up.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Shine posted:

I wonder why they went with such bland bosses. Most Metal Gears have cartoony mercenary weirdos who at least have some personality or fun quirk to them. Between the Skulls and the Man on Fire, there were too many fights against mindless bullet sponges.

This is true, but there enough different options when it comes to dispose of them, that I can kind of forgive it. You can also just straight up avoid most of them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I enjoyed the bosses. They tied back explicitly to elements under Skullface's control (so, less out of right field than the Beauties for example) They challenged you to use the full breadth of your available resources, to the extent that Quiet was potentially a tutorial on research and delivery.

And when its all said and done, you can go back and replay with a Serval and chuckle at what used to be a challenge.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I really enjoyed the boss fights in the game. My favorite was the snipe battle in the woods vs the Skulls. I beat Quiet the cheap way with the supply drop trick and felt like I cheesed my way out of a good sniper duel so I got really excited when they showed up. A big part of what made the boss fights good for me was how fluid they managed to make the controls during combat.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

OxMan posted:

That twist is so sick because it neatly ties up why BB "forgot" (never knew, or was finding out on the spot) everything he'd msg you about, and how the call origin switched with this boss no longer "forgetting" stuff. I can't think of a single series that's attempted a 28 year story tie-up.

get ready for twin peaks

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Modest Mao posted:

get ready for twin peaks

Hell yes. Sucks that the guy who played Bob died, I wonder if they'll get a similar looking guy for that kind of surreal spookiness.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/647244586037866496

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Quickly let neverbegameover know

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
RIP Castlevania pachinko machines.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Apparently that's just a photo from 2012 when it was smoking

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

CARRIERHASARRIVED posted:

There's actually conversation by two guys in Africa who basically say, "Why the gently caress does everyone hate Afrikaans? What's wrong with it?" and they sort of discuss that it was a weird hodgepodge of Dutch, English, and some other languages' words that Dutch colonists spoke. Then they started calling it Afrikaans and had the brilliant idea that everyone in Africa should speak it. Eventually the guards say that even though it's their language and they love it, they also realize that a lot of people probably see it as a tool of oppression with a lot of bad memories (I think they even mention the apartheid in South Africa) because it was essentially used to wipe out the mother tongues of, and control, lots of people.

I wish I could find it again because it was really cool to listen to.

That's pretty awesome, I wonder who the Afrikaans voice actors were, they did a Ace job and did a lot of dialogue by themselves (Although I don't know how well Kojima knows the whole Afrikaans/Africa/Dutch legacy, maybe he actually scripted it). Really cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Someone should probably alert all of those incredibly well-regarded authors and filmmakers that you can't make "art" if it has poop jokes in it.

Turns out Shakespeare isn't art.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like there's a lot of cool scripted guard conversations waiting to be found. I've only heard like, 2.

One was these mercs talking about Big Boss, and how he was behind the destruction at the Oil Fields. One of them wonders why he did that, and the other points out that Big Boss is obviously fighting a guerrilla war against some enemy they can't perceive. And it's possible that they are actually being hired by the opposite side, and they could end up guarding one of Big Bosses's targets. Which is a scary loving thought.

I really liked that, because it referenced the Legend of Big Boss and contextualized how happy some of the guys you fulton must be to join you. Like, their worst nightmare is being on the receiving end of Big Boss.

To wake up on mother base and realize you just got beat by BB, but he chose not to kill you, has got to feel like the luckiest day of your life.

Every time you see Big Boss, you salute, and every time he hits you, you thank him. Thank him for beating you instead of shooting you in the head.

Sometimes he gets off the helicopter covered in blood, and you don't know where he went or what he did, but you know not to expect too many new recruits. And every time that happens you thank your lucky stars that it wasn't a day like that when He found you.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 25, 2015

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Snak posted:

I feel like there's a lot of cool scripted guard conversations waiting to be found. I've only heard like, 2.

One was these mercs talking about Big Boss, and how he was behind the destruction at the Oil Fields. One of them wonders why he did that, and the other points out that Big Boss is obviously fighting a guerrilla war against some enemy they can't perceive. And it's possible that they are actually being hired by the opposite side, and they could end up guarding one of Big Bosses's targets. Which is a scary loving thought.

I really liked that, because it referenced the Legend of Big Boss and contextualized how happy some of the guys you fulton must be to join you. Like, their worst nightmare is being on the receiving end of Big Boss.

To wake up on mother base and realize you just got beat by BB, but he chose not to kill you, has got to feel like the luckiest day of your life.

Every time you see Big Boss, you salute, and every time he hits you, you thank him. Thank him for beating you instead of shooting you in the head.

Sometimes he gets off the helicopter covered in blood, and you don't know where he went or what he did, but you know not to expect too many new recruits. And every time that happens you thank your lucky stars that it wasn't a day like that when He found you.

Reading this post was almost more chilling than the actual game, seriously. For all the hype about becoming a demon and Big Boss covered in blood, I never really got the sense that Venom was a bad guy. I mean poo poo, he has his own private animal sanctuary.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do the animals that are only captured in cages not show up on the conservation platform? I don't see any sand cats walking around.:(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

New theory. Venom Snake is Raiden. After Solid beats him on Outer Heaven, Venom is in a coma for another 9 years. When he wakes up, he's given reconstruction surgery and hypnotized into thinking he's Raiden.

EVIDENCE: Venom Snake and Raiden's real names are revealed at the end of their respective games, and it's the same exact name. Coincidentally, they share my name. :tinfoil:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Snak posted:

This conversation was ruined for me when I got it during Pitch Dark, which is chronologically before (or well, while) Big Boss does that.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Detective No. 27 posted:

Venom Snake and Raiden's real names are revealed at the end of their respective games, and it's the same exact name. Coincidentally, they share my name. :tinfoil:

I was just thinking about this today. I wasn't even doing Metal Gear stuff. This game has affected my brain.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Snak posted:

Every time you see Big Boss, you salute, and every time he hits you, you thank him. Thank him for not telling the other Diamond Dogs that you were tricked by an anime poster.

FTFY.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Good god, could they have made that write-up any harder to read? Who the gently caress puts light grey text on a cream-colored background.

I also don't get what people are getting all worked up over when the guy specifically says that it is highly unlikely that the data will lead anywhere, and appears to just be corrupted fragments of Portopia code put in as an easter egg / tribute to the game that inspired Kojima to make games.

I agree, i dont think loving around with tape code is going to do anything and i think it was just there for someone to find poropia. whats weirder is the connections that portopia seem to have with mgsv. Namely the butterfly. In portopia, spoiler alert for a 30 year old game, the murder is your second in command, who refers to you as "boss" and is identified by the butterfly on his shoulder.

Now, with the code talker stuff about eyes on kazuhura and the weirdness about kaz in the game, his eyes, the way he gets you to hear out skullface first, the fact that the helipad area in okb zero has diamond dog logos all over it, how he doesnt want you to shoot down xof choppers in the research mission. Chapter 3 being called "peace" and kazuhira also meaning peace. The stuff about certain conditions being met to have kaz sunglasses removed from the motherbase photo (there is proof) there is something there about kaz we havent seen yet. Also unless its a patch coming on the 6th, the stuff they showed at tgs had them at 100% but still had quiet, could be they just put her back in for the show but seems abit weird.

I feel like there is more to unlock than just the nuke scene, not talking another 10 missions or some poo poo either, but there is more. Remember how the pw stuff unlocked? If you didnt know how to catch zadarnov that final time you pretty much had to luck out and stumble on to it.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 25, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vikar Jerome posted:

The stuff about certain conditions being met to have kaz sunglasses removed from the motherbase photo (there is proof) there is something there about kaz we havent seen yet.

I'm calling bullshit on this. You can't say there's proof of something like that and not post it. :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is the resolution to the dangling plot basically 'Eli died on the way back to his home planet'?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CJacobs posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this. You can't say there's proof of something like that and not post it. :colbert:

Check neverbegameover reddit. Im on my phone damnit, pasting is a pain but ill do it for you.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/416937800345508169/F1F45F93B9615A5299130BB6DB71A01700B14F55/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/416937800345507989/45C367EA1E7BED70A1C4B6E261D84B6246047DE7/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3m9duk/what_to_do_zoom_in_pictures_thread/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3ma9m9/spoilers_butterfly_kaz_peace/

Hang on scouring that loving reddit for the sunglasses poo poo.

Edit here:https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3m6543/tried_something_regarding_the_konami_code/ goddamn that was a pain to find on phone.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 25, 2015

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

Hang on scouring that loving reddit for the sunglasses poo poo.
You're looking for the konami code one, and while there have been other people confirming they've seen the pictures without the glasses, a bunch of people have done what apparently triggers is and not gotten it to work
Couple that with only the original person had any screenshots and I would say it's not true

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3m6543/tried_something_regarding_the_konami_code/

Found it myself. They put in the Konami code.

It's probably just random though. Either that or, as someone speculates in the comments, it's a bug and the model for the glasses just didn't show up because the photo isn't pre-rendered.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do the animals that are only captured in cages not show up on the conservation platform? I don't see any sand cats walking around.:(

Nope, only ones you physically catch yourself.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Is the resolution to the dangling plot basically 'Eli died on the way back to his home planet'?

Look up mission 51 on YouTube. It was cut from the game.

Basically him and the kids live on an island where he released the English parasite and chills in his metal gear all day. Snake fights the MG again, accidentally shoots eli, but he survives because he's wearing a bullet proof vest. Snake and diamond dogs take the metal gear back, Mantis removes the parasite from eli and takes him off the island before it's napalmed.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

While I'm less than pleased that mission 51 was cut as far as story goes, I'm fine with missing out on a third fight against Sahel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Words that my English-language spellchecker accepts which may be of interest to Russian government officials RE doomsday weapons: Soviet, apparatchiki, nomenklatura, commissariat, politburo, Pravda, vodka.

• Locked thread