Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The Midniter posted:

Bart, what's your opinion on the influx of GBS shitposters? Obviously it's good to have new blood, and this subforum could use some, but not when it's juvenile idiots mucking up every thread with their inane garbage.

The GBS supercrew ruffled some feathers, obviously. In some cases that was needed - you can't roast a chicken without ruffling a few feathers, obviously. GWS's response to the influx of new people wasn't exactly welcoming and did reward some of the worst bear baiting, which of course only encouraged more of it.

I am generally in favor of things that lead to GWS seeing more posts, more threads (especially short-lived focused threads that are interesting and/or funny, as opposed to megathreads), and more participants. I'm also in favor of a certain level of content in posts; dozens of lovely threads with low-effort posts don't help anybody. Then again. if nobody posts the forum dies. So posting is in general a net positive.

If you'll allow me another simile or metaphor or whatever, my opinion is this is a case of reaping what we sow. The level of vitriol I see thrown at some posters, warranted or otherwise, is unlikely to lead to an improved GWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just don't touch the poop.

If you see an obvious GBS shitpost then just keep scrolling. Quoting it and getting angry and whatever achieves their purpose of derailing and making you mad.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

bartolimu posted:

I am generally in favor of things that lead to GWS seeing more posts, more threads (especially short-lived focused threads that are interesting and/or funny, as opposed to megathreads), and more participants. I'm also in favor of a certain level of content in posts; dozens of lovely threads with low-effort posts don't help anybody. Then again. if nobody posts the forum dies. So posting is in general a net positive.

This is a very salient point imo. I like cooking but I would basically never consider regularly reading or participating in this forum. Between the weird home cook elitism and the fact that the average thread length on the first page is seriously 147 loving pages, it's not welcoming at all.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just hit last page and go from there. All the mega threads and even this one go in cycles i.e. what's a sandwich, this very topic or lmfao. I do think they could be closed/refreshed on occasion to help promote posting. I also think a lot of the perceived elitism is just that people don't like to be told that what they're doing is wrong or ineffective. There was similar backlash in the knife thread about the pull through sharpeners, but it truly is bad advise to advise their use if someone is looking to improve themselves or their cooking. GBS posts like freezing an egg whole is a good way to make it food safe :wtc: or "put a latin kick" is whitenoise garbage and if you follow it, only a good way to waste food.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I wish SA could upweigh new threads to the top of the list for a week or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wookums posted:

Just hit last page and go from there. All the mega threads and even this one go in cycles i.e. what's a sandwich, this very topic or lmfao. I do think they could be closed/refreshed on occasion to help promote posting. I also think a lot of the perceived elitism is just that people don't like to be told that what they're doing is wrong or ineffective. There was similar backlash in the knife thread about the pull through sharpeners, but it truly is bad advise to advise their use if someone is looking to improve themselves or their cooking. GBS posts like freezing an egg whole is a good way to make it food safe :wtc: or "put a latin kick" is whitenoise garbage and if you follow it, only a good way to waste food.

I think a problem is that people tend to react the same way towards an obvious poo poo post vs someone who is just uninformed and that's offputting for everyone.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

The GBS supercrew ruffled some feathers, obviously. In some cases that was needed - you can't roast a chicken without ruffling a few feathers, obviously. GWS's response to the influx of new people wasn't exactly welcoming and did reward some of the worst bear baiting, which of course only encouraged more of it.

If you'll allow me another simile or metaphor or whatever, my opinion is this is a case of reaping what we sow. The level of vitriol I see thrown at some posters, warranted or otherwise, is unlikely to lead to an improved GWS.

Well I'm just glad you're doing nothing about any of it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
^ this.

also "GBS supercrew"? lol what the gently caress are you smoking bartolimu

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I probably don't have much weight behind my opinion as I don't really post in this forum, but I read the poo poo out of it. The front page is like a wave of bookmarked/read threads. This forum taught me not just how to cook some meals, but really how to be an adult. There are a few forums I frequently spend my time reading, specifically GWS, YLLS and ML. ML helped me realise that pursuing music not at 8 wasn't a waste of time. GWS taught me that you can, in fact, make awesome food at home that was way better than poo poo you'd buy at a fast food place, and more importantly it taught me the joy of cooking. YLLS has taught me to not be a fat, lazy guy.

Point is, reading those three forums specifically really educates and entertains me. Sometimes people are a bit elitist, sure, but I'd rather see a genuine discussion over some obscure aspect of cooking, music, running, whatever than some bullshit posts. I get excited when I see a new thread about someone's pizza oven (Seriously that thing rules) because I know that hey, I may not have a wood fired oven, but drat it I'll learn something. I'm always learning in this forums, whether it's about wine or vegan tofu dishes. I approach things with enthusiasm and keenness.

I'm rambling, but when I click a thread about holiday cooking I'm thinking, "Yeah, some new dishes to change things up! Maybe try something I've never done before!" Instead I get a bunch of bullshit, unfunny posts that just try to push lame memes. Then I scroll down and see that pretty much the entire thing is that. It doesn't make me angry or sad, just a little disappointed.

I get that having elitist posters makes things awkward for newcomers. But I don't not post because I'm scared of being shouted at. I just don't feel I have anything to contribute that's worth typing out and other people reading. And I'd rather stay silent than post about crockpot salsa chicken or an ethnic kick for dishes. If it's a better scenario to post anything pertaining to the topic than lurking, then I'll start posting when possible. But I'd rather read people talking about something that excites them than a bunch of guys posting random stuff but ups the posting numbers.

Just my two cents.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

syntaxfunction posted:

I probably don't have much weight behind my opinion as I don't really post in this forum, but I read the poo poo out of it. The front page is like a wave of bookmarked/read threads. This forum taught me not just how to cook some meals, but really how to be an adult. There are a few forums I frequently spend my time reading, specifically GWS, YLLS and ML. ML helped me realise that pursuing music not at 8 wasn't a waste of time. GWS taught me that you can, in fact, make awesome food at home that was way better than poo poo you'd buy at a fast food place, and more importantly it taught me the joy of cooking. YLLS has taught me to not be a fat, lazy guy.

Point is, reading those three forums specifically really educates and entertains me. Sometimes people are a bit elitist, sure, but I'd rather see a genuine discussion over some obscure aspect of cooking, music, running, whatever than some bullshit posts. I get excited when I see a new thread about someone's pizza oven (Seriously that thing rules) because I know that hey, I may not have a wood fired oven, but drat it I'll learn something. I'm always learning in this forums, whether it's about wine or vegan tofu dishes. I approach things with enthusiasm and keenness.

I'm rambling, but when I click a thread about holiday cooking I'm thinking, "Yeah, some new dishes to change things up! Maybe try something I've never done before!" Instead I get a bunch of bullshit, unfunny posts that just try to push lame memes. Then I scroll down and see that pretty much the entire thing is that. It doesn't make me angry or sad, just a little disappointed.

I get that having elitist posters makes things awkward for newcomers. But I don't not post because I'm scared of being shouted at. I just don't feel I have anything to contribute that's worth typing out and other people reading. And I'd rather stay silent than post about crockpot salsa chicken or an ethnic kick for dishes. If it's a better scenario to post anything pertaining to the topic than lurking, then I'll start posting when possible. But I'd rather read people talking about something that excites them than a bunch of guys posting random stuff but ups the posting numbers.

Just my two cents.

These are two good cents.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
what

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

syntaxfunction posted:

Just my two cents.

you're a good poster. keep doing what you do.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

How do I measure a tablespoon of butter? Probably I cannot use an actual tablespoon, there were several pages of arguments about this specific topic recently. If I cannot trust a tablespoon, how can I trust any recipe? Is cooking food accurately even possible with this revelation? Should goons with spoons even exist if measuring accurate quantities is impossible?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Pivotal Lever posted:

How do I measure a tablespoon of butter? Probably I cannot use an actual tablespoon, there were several pages of arguments about this specific topic recently. If I cannot trust a tablespoon, how can I trust any recipe? Is cooking food accurately even possible with this revelation? Should goons with spoons even exist if measuring accurate quantities is impossible?

You scoop a tablespoon into some butter and then scrape off the excess from the top with your finger. Are you loving retarded?

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

gnarlyhotep posted:

You scoop a tablespoon into some butter and then scrape off the excess from the top with your finger. Are you loving retarded?

Well, a tbsp is 20ml in Australia and only 15ml in the rest of the Commonwealth nations and the United States *gets distracted by a passing train for 12 minutes* so measuring a tablespoon of butter accurately is impossible.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Pivotal Lever posted:

Well, a tbsp is 20ml in Australia and only 15ml in the rest of the Commonwealth nations and the United States *gets distracted by a passing train for 12 minutes* so measuring a tablespoon of butter accurately is impossible.

No, only if you're a goddamn idiot. Kill yourself and let the rest of us get on with breathing.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

syntaxfunction posted:

Just my two cents.

Thank you

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Pivotal Lever posted:

gnarlyhotep posted:

i cant believe this conversation is still going loving hell gws you are the worst forum ever

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
GWS isn't a forum any more, it hasn't been for years now. It's a large set of megathreads - really subforums - on specific topics. Which is a lovely format but what are ya going to do about it, short of killing all megathreads (lol).

Dinner thread is the closest thing to old gws.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 25, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So basically a bunch of GBS posters come here and poo poo all over the place, including one of their mods, and the the GWS mod's reaction is "Well you should have been nicer to outsiders."

Just delete the forum if you don't give a poo poo Bart.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
it would be cool if GWS could be a cooking comedy subforum instead of a den of autism about which I'm not being hyperbolic when I say a multiple-page discussion is ongoing here about goonish fear and anxiety over the appropriate measurement of a tablespoon, even though they own tablespoons.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So basically a bunch of GBS posters come here and poo poo all over the place, including one of their mods, and the the GWS mod's reaction is "Well you should have been nicer to outsiders."

Just delete the forum if you don't give a poo poo Bart.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, I don't think "well if you would've been nicer everything would've been okay" is true. The last few times somebody who wasn't a shithead made a new thread - which is the stated objective - it gets covered in shitposts from the GBS brigade immediately and anybody who might actually contribute ignores it because they don't want to deal with the idiots.

If close-minded elitism is what gave us awesome things like ICSA, then bring back the close-minded elitism please. I'd rather have somebody who genuinely knows what they're talking about tell me I'm an idiot for cooking lean meat in a slow cooker, which is good advice snobbery or no, than having fifteen people respond with "add lime to your salsa chicken for a latin kick!"

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

rj54x posted:

Yeah, I don't think "well if you would've been nicer everything would've been okay" is true. The last few times somebody who wasn't a shithead made a new thread - which is the stated objective - it gets covered in shitposts from the GBS brigade immediately and anybody who might actually contribute ignores it because they don't want to deal with the idiots.

If close-minded elitism is what gave us awesome things like ICSA, then bring back the close-minded elitism please. I'd rather have somebody who genuinely knows what they're talking about tell me I'm an idiot for cooking lean meat in a slow cooker, which is good advice snobbery or no, than having fifteen people respond with "add lime to your salsa chicken for a latin kick!"

but the problem is that somethingawful is a satire comedy retard autism troll forum for faggots; why you demand to have your serious cooking forum in the middle of it is absolutely mindboggling unless it's an insanely high tier of irony that i can't yet comprehend with my feeble gbs hivemind

cooking is good and cool but if the funniest thing is Nooner's lime and cilantro latin kicks then thats v sad imo, sorry nooner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

les fleurs du mall posted:

my feeble gbs hivemind

You're getting warmer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

les fleurs du mall posted:

it would be cool if GWS could be a cooking comedy subforum instead of a den of autism about which I'm not being hyperbolic when I say a multiple-page discussion is ongoing here about goonish fear and anxiety over the appropriate measurement of a tablespoon, even though they own tablespoons.

Well, some of that conversation was ironic. :smith:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hush now...

We would never have fun with discussing measurements because it is seemingly such a loving big deal in cooking, and we would never be sarcastic about it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Squashy Nipples posted:

tbf gassing really funny threads is basically autistic

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Squashy Nipples posted:

yea there were some good posts in there but it doesnt make up for th disturbingly serious ones in btween

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hey, GBS frequently dwells into sophisticated comedy, such as New York sandwich tax legislation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nooner came into the cajun thread and I thought it was pretty funny and obviously a jokepost and nothing happened after that was bad.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

Hey, GBS frequently dwells into sophisticated comedy, such as New York sandwich tax legislation.

Can we please talk about whether tomatoes are fruits or vegetables?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden posted:

Nix v. Hedden, 149 U.S. 304 (1893),[1] was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that, under U.S. customs regulations, the tomato should be classified as a vegetable rather than a fruit. The Court's unanimous opinion held that the Tariff Act of 1883 used the ordinary meaning of the words "fruit" and "vegetable", instead of the technical botanical meaning.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
As long as the GBS shitshow stays out of the industry thread.

Its pretty hard to have food jokes that aren't inclusive to elitist food culture. I make jokes on a daily basis about doing things in random esoteric ways that cooks will stop, look at me like I'm loving crazy, then laugh because it's obviously a joke, that just doesn't translate to people who know nothing about food or food prep.

Like if I came in and told you all that we're going to be measuring 4oz of garlic and 2oz of oil into vacuum bags, and SV'ing our confit garlic now as opposed to putting it in a 225F oven for an hour, 10 pounds at a time, you'd look at me like I'm some loving madman until you realize the joke.

So basically, food jokes aren't funny, and if you don't measure your butter by thumbs of ginger you should probably just stop cooking.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can we please talk about whether tomatoes are fruits or vegetables?

They're berries. :v:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Single serving bags of garlic confit would be awesome on an airplane.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Its pretty hard to have food jokes that aren't inclusive to elitist food culture. I make jokes on a daily basis about doing things in random esoteric ways that cooks will stop, look at me like I'm loving crazy, then laugh because it's obviously a joke, that just doesn't translate to people who know nothing about food or food prep.

Like if I came in and told you all that we're going to be measuring 4oz of garlic and 2oz of oil into vacuum bags, and SV'ing our confit garlic now as opposed to putting it in a 225F oven for an hour, 10 pounds at a time, you'd look at me like I'm some loving madman until you realize the joke.

So basically, food jokes aren't funny, and if you don't measure your butter by thumbs of ginger you should probably just stop cooking.

you sound ridiculous

look at the things you write

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
also i want to know why my lemonade made out of limes thread was closed

it was a good thread and nobody answered my question on how to make it yet

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

i can relate, most people don't have enough chromosomes to get my jokes

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

social vegan posted:

i can relate, most people don't have enough chromosomes to get my jokes

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien