Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Boten Anna posted:

Come join Third Party Tools! You get an xp boost just for being in the FC and we're always happy to help people and answer questions. There's no reason whatsoever to wait.

I think I'll take you up on that! Next time I'm on, do I just contact somebody in-game? My character is Leodore Lothaire. I suppose I should register on FFgoons as well.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm going to save you so much frustration right here: crafting to make gear as you level is not really worth it, it's much easier to just buy HQ gear if you need it (or ask goons who will almost certainly shower you with gifts). Crafting is really a game for people who have every crafting class at 50 or higher. Think of it as a totally different game from the battle side.

Yes, gathering really is that boring, and it doesn't change until post-50. Some people are into the zen-like mindlessness of it (and the ability to do it while blazed/watching Netflix/both), some can't stand it.

Vil posted:

Gathering will remain boring, though fishing has a certain zen to it. However, gathering will change from "boring and basically pointless" to "boring but gets you poo poo you can't buy from NPCs, only from other players who themselves gathered it". Generally somewhere around level 15. Below that, it's already true for shards, but shards are crap for experience after you gain a few levels.

See if you get into crafting, first. And don't blow off your combat jobs too much for the sake of crafting, unless you find you really love crafting. It'll still be there later, and you don't need to be able to craft your own gear to support your first job's gearing, since quests will do that. If you do get into crafting, gathering may help insofar as letting you get your own poo poo rather than buy it for a markup on the auction house.

So what I'm getting from this is that gathering is what it is, and crafting is as much of a sink as I expected. I was dabbling, but I blew through all of my early Gil trying to level Carpentry up to level 10 after leveling Leatherworking to 10. I wanted to sample a few other things before moving on with the story. I'm glad I tried Conjurer at least, because that class turned out to be surprisingly fun so far. So crafting is more of a gil-making game than a kill monsters game. I guess that ties into the style of what this game is trying to sell in terms of options. Cool.

Thanks for the replies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Leofish posted:

So crafting is more of a gil-making game than a kill monsters game.

Change that to gil-spending game, and you've got it. Don't do crafting to make money, you won't.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Klungar posted:

Isn't Alex Normal obsolete currently? Couldn't we see something in 3.1?

When they think it's obsolete, not when it's actually obsolete because they spent a month making Moghome sidequests and then programmed 2 endgame things to do in an overnight crunch session.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Will a physical copy for the expansion work with the steam version? It's not a big deal just asking.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

RBX posted:

Will a physical copy for the expansion work with the steam version? It's not a big deal just asking.

No, if you got the Steam version you're locked into Steam.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Leofish posted:

I think I'll take you up on that! Next time I'm on, do I just contact somebody in-game? My character is Leodore Lothaire. I suppose I should register on FFgoons as well.

Join ffgoons and it walks you through it, but basically either find someone with the <<EULA>> tag or come visit our house (Plot 19, 5th Ward, Mist in Limsa Lominsa) to get to the application and put in your ffgoons id. There's screenshots and a guide to make this super easy stickied to the top of the main ffgoons forum.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

megalodong posted:

The rep scrip stuff looks liked they looked at older WOW's cooldown-limited crafts and thought they were a good idea, but then missed the fact that WOW's cooldown-limited stuff gave you raid equivalent gear that generally just had worse socket colours on it.

They basically need to decide, once and for all, whether they're fine with crafters being able to make raid-quality gear or not, with all of the RMT encouraging that can bring. This half-assed stuff right now pleases no one. Otherwise, the only alternative is doubling down on glamour gear (e.g. the Thav stuff) for high-end crafting.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 25, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leofish posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that gathering is what it is, and crafting is as much of a sink as I expected. I was dabbling, but I blew through all of my early Gil trying to level Carpentry up to level 10 after leveling Leatherworking to 10. I wanted to sample a few other things before moving on with the story. I'm glad I tried Conjurer at least, because that class turned out to be surprisingly fun so far. So crafting is more of a gil-making game than a kill monsters game. I guess that ties into the style of what this game is trying to sell in terms of options. Cool.

Thanks for the replies.

Only do crafting if you really enjoy the premise. It's possible to make gil leveling up crafting, but it's way more likely that you'll be spending literally dozens of millions in the process instead.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
The gold seller spam in this game is about as bad as I expected; I'm level 16 now and I've gotten probably 40+ whispers from gold sellers.

I'm kinda surprised there's no "report spam" function in the chat.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's gotten a lot worse recently for some reason

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I haven't had a single spam whisper since Heavensward. Since before HW, even.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Mystery Prize posted:

The gold seller spam in this game is about as bad as I expected; I'm level 16 now and I've gotten probably 40+ whispers from gold sellers.

I'm surprised that the message spam is still prevalent given that trial characters can't send messages.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

TheHeadSage posted:

I'm surprised that the message spam is still prevalent given that trial characters can't send messages.

This is what happens when people don't use two-factor authentication. They get hacked and their accounts are used for this.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hivac posted:

It's gotten a lot worse recently for some reason
The game's due for another ban wave. The spammers and bots take awhile to build up after each wave and I imagine they're trying to get any sales they can before it hits.

TheHeadSage posted:

I've noticed spammers standing near the Ul'Dah marketboard on my server that occasionally hop and say their spam rather than telling people. Those are likely the trial accounts.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 25, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Questions

1) Does this game have bards, and are they any good
2) Does this game have player housing
3) How easy/hard is it to solo in this game as a bard
4) How much is the game and how much is the monthly cost

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

The best thing to do is to turn off the notification sound for whispers, and maybe move them to a different chat tab. The default whisper sound seems tailor made to startle me.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

khy posted:

Questions

Yes it has them, I haven't levelled one yet, but they seem decently good.

quote:

Yes, but it's stupidly expensive. You can, however, have a personal room in a free company for far less.

quote:

Pretty easy, they're dps classes

quote:

60 bucks for the base game + expansion, and 15 a month for the sub.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

khy posted:

Questions

1) Yes, they're support DPS classes. They use bows and arrows as weapons. They're not the strongest DPS, but are good to have in parties because of the benefits they give.
2) Yes, but depending on the server, housing is expensive. You can get a room for yourself in a free company house.
3) Not hard. Any class can solo the game (with the exception of dungeons).
4) The base game is on sale for $20. Heavensward will run between $30-40 for non-collector's edition. Standard cost a month is $12.99. You can add additional features to your account if you really want to.

efb, but I should mention the game is on sale on Amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy...nal+fantasy+xiv

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

khy posted:

Questions

1) yes/yes
2) yes but good luck ever affording it
3) all classes can solo soloable content

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been browsing the FF14 site and it's somewhat unclear as to the distinction between a class and a job. Can anyone clarify for me please?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

khy posted:

I've been browsing the FF14 site and it's somewhat unclear as to the distinction between a class and a job. Can anyone clarify for me please?

You start with a "class" then once you hit level 30, you can turn it into a "job" provided you have an appropriate cross-class leveled to 15. For example, bards require a level 30 archer and level 15 puglist. It's a weird system that they're going away from sort of with the expansion jobs.

edit: this explains it well: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Jobs

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

khy posted:

When you get a class to level 30 and have a certain secondary class to level 15, you can do a quest and get a job stone. Equipping the job stone gives you a sizable stat boost and gives you access to certain skills that are only accessible to the job, not the class, which you'll acquire at levels 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, and 60. The downside is you get fewer cross-class slots but that doesn't actually make a significant difference, so you should always get your job stone as possible and equip it right away.

The new jobs in Heavensward start at 30 and have no corresponding class; you're just always a DRK or AST or MCH.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

khy posted:

You start with a class. Jobs require level 30 in one class and 15 in another. In general, jobs are more specialized and more potent than classes. They also use the same level as the parent class. GLD at 30 and CNJ at 15 open the PLD job, which is a more effective tank than GLD.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Character creation is open on Excalibur now :toot:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Character creation is open on Excalibur now :toot:

"My name is boten Anna and I am an alt characteraholic"

"HI Boten Anna! Welcome!"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

"My name is boten Anna and I am an alt characteraholic"

"HI Boten Anna! Welcome!"

Spoiler alert: everybody else there is just another Boten Anna alt.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

i took the opportunity to roll my 5th and 6th characters that i will never use

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Put of curiosity are you just rolling alts because you like the story and want to redo it or is there some scheme behind this

Also ha sorry for spamming fc chat with questions tpt guys, thanks for all the really helpful answers. This chocobo is ducking cool

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I have no idea because i never use them anyways

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

khy posted:

The thread OP answers your past five questions and will probably answer the next five too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eerkik posted:

Put of curiosity are you just rolling alts because you like the story and want to redo it or is there some scheme behind this

Also ha sorry for spamming fc chat with questions tpt guys, thanks for all the really helpful answers. This chocobo is ducking cool

Free retainers!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hobbesmaster posted:

Free retainers!

Unfortunately you can't take advantage of them because you can only send mail to people on your friends list, and you can only send a friend request to someone online simultaneously :suicide:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You just need your alts on a 2nd account :v:

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
There was a brief window of time where if you disconnected while in Amdapor Keep on one character, you could go online on your second character and send a friend request to your alt while they still appeared as being online in an instance. I believe the people who managed to pull this off still have their alts on their friends list to this day. I wish I had done this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

You start with a "class" then once you hit level 30, you can turn it into a "job" provided you have an appropriate cross-class leveled to 15. For example, bards require a level 30 archer and level 15 puglist. It's a weird system that they're going away from sort of with the expansion jobs.

I actually really like the way each job requires a secondary class. I think it's a neat way to remind people that you can get cool stuff from other classes to help augment your main job.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

I actually really like the way each job requires a secondary class. I think it's a neat way to remind people that you can get cool stuff from other classes to help augment your main job.

Some of the cross-class stuff isn't very well thought out though. Why is Physick/Cure a cross-class for WHM/SCH? You never need it!

If ACN wasn't required for WHM you could get away with never levelling it in your Conjuring career. Eye for an Eye isn't that good.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Some of the cross-class stuff isn't very well thought out though. Why is Physick/Cure a cross-class for WHM/SCH? You never need it!

Because it can crit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ApplesandOranges posted:

If ACN wasn't required for WHM you could get away with never levelling it in your Conjuring career. Eye for an Eye isn't that good.

I love that PLD gets cross-class picks from MRD that require combos you don't have to be effective :geno:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eye for an Eye isn't that good.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I've played endgame on WHM since 2.0 without it, I'm inclined to agree. :v:

• Locked thread