Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Musluk posted:

Enchiridion books are able to put in pictures I believe. You could just take some pictures of a basic 3x3 reactor and put them into the book. Give the book with the quest for Yellorite or something.

By the way, loved BFSR.

Double thanks for the thumbs up and the mod suggestion. I did not find that mod when I was looking this up. I was assuming there was something somewhere that would let me attach a picture book. I can just make one big picture book or something, since I really only need to gate things to make the steps and progression more obvious. I was just going to show all the multiblocks in steps and show some more advanced configurations.

I guess I should ask Shukaro how his quest mechanics are going, because I'd like to put more advanced quests in the book, but I definitely then don't want to have to port those. I was figuring there should be a server-friendly cow farm project and then something that sets up a really long autocrafting chain in AE2: something that triggers a lot of equipment to come together to make a bunch of things together. The cow farm is something I did on mechaet's server after some trial-and-error. Something like one pen with a breeder, rancher, and a slaughterhouse. A chronotyper moves calves to a second pen to grow up and get processed in a second slaughterhouse. The first pen's slaughterhouse only turns on when there are X number of cows in order to prevent a population explosion. I guess I need that device that counts entities too. A rednet controller handles the logic. I suspect that would give new people a lot to chew on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Double thanks for the thumbs up and the mod suggestion. I did not find that mod when I was looking this up. I was assuming there was something somewhere that would let me attach a picture book. I can just make one big picture book or something, since I really only need to gate things to make the steps and progression more obvious. I was just going to show all the multiblocks in steps and show some more advanced configurations.

I guess I should ask Shukaro how his quest mechanics are going, because I'd like to put more advanced quests in the book, but I definitely then don't want to have to port those. I was figuring there should be a server-friendly cow farm project and then something that sets up a really long autocrafting chain in AE2: something that triggers a lot of equipment to come together to make a bunch of things together. The cow farm is something I did on mechaet's server after some trial-and-error. Something like one pen with a breeder, rancher, and a slaughterhouse. A chronotyper moves calves to a second pen to grow up and get processed in a second slaughterhouse. The first pen's slaughterhouse only turns on when there are X number of cows in order to prevent a population explosion. I guess I need that device that counts entities too. A rednet controller handles the logic. I suspect that would give new people a lot to chew on.

a botania eye of the ancients can count up to 16 animals

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

a botania eye of the ancients can count up to 16 animals

There is some MFR thing that can do it, but I forgot the name.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The problem I always had with using the traditional MFR breeder/rancher/chronotyper/slaughterhouse setup was that it always seemed like either my cows were periodically dying due to phasing into walls or else the machines'd get clogged and unlimited cows would wreck the server. It's not any criticism of MFR per se, it's that Minecraft mobs are hosed up to have to deal with in general. Sadly for MFR autospawner purposes you wind up needing SOME manner of essence input and grinding livestock is the easiest way to get it before you can afford a nether star to move a spawner with. Soul Shards 2 can ameliorate that somewhat.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

chairface posted:

The problem I always had with using the traditional MFR breeder/rancher/chronotyper/slaughterhouse setup was that it always seemed like either my cows were periodically dying due to phasing into walls or else the machines'd get clogged and unlimited cows would wreck the server. It's not any criticism of MFR per se, it's that Minecraft mobs are hosed up to have to deal with in general. Sadly for MFR autospawner purposes you wind up needing SOME manner of essence input and grinding livestock is the easiest way to get it before you can afford a nether star to move a spawner with. Soul Shards 2 can ameliorate that somewhat.

Fences and conveyor belts more or less fix the suffocation problem though, but yeah minecraft's plenty hosed up.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hi, some stuff happened:

- We like Discord a lot (too much?!?!) http://www.technicpack.net/article/we-love-discord.125
- Tekkit Legends is out! http://www.technicpack.net/legends

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
That (required) disclaimer at the bottom of the Discord post. :cripes:

Legends doesn't look to be my jam, but my god that's some pretty artwork. :haw:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Thyrork posted:

That (required) disclaimer at the bottom of the Discord post. :cripes:

Legends doesn't look to be my jam, but my god that's some pretty artwork. :haw:

Lin made the Totem of Dawn art in Blightfall and a few other things, too. She's swell.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
The Legends artwork is rockin' but also I feel like, by putting all these bad old mods in one place you're risking some sort of horrible mutant accident. Or maybe you'll finally summon Rutibex into the mystical land of 1.7, who can say.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Does anyone have a computercraft big reactors program?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Does anyone have a computercraft big reactors program?

There's always EZ-nuke.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nolanar posted:

There's always EZ-nuke.

Oh sweet, I used this a long time ago on one of the never stop toasting iterations. Thanks!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Hi, some stuff happened:

- We like Discord a lot (too much?!?!) http://www.technicpack.net/article/we-love-discord.125

Discord owns and has quickly become the go-to for my group of friends to shoot the poo poo while we play games.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Hi, some stuff happened:

If a chat program in Minecraft doesn't sneak into checking my steam friends list without my permission and false flag as a virus I don't think it's worth using buddy

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Blind Duke posted:

If a chat program in Minecraft doesn't sneak into checking my steam friends list without my permission and false flag as a virus I don't think it's worth using buddy

They're a startup, give 'em time!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ixjuvin posted:

The Legends artwork is rockin' but also I feel like, by putting all these bad old mods in one place you're risking some sort of horrible mutant accident. Or maybe you'll finally summon Rutibex into the mystical land of 1.7, who can say.

:ssh: you've discovered the secret of Tekkit Legends

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

30.5 Days posted:

They're a startup, give 'em time!

That won't happen until the devs have become disillusioned and disinterested to the point that they start to farm out services to folks who want to monetize the poo poo out of everything. So as long as they avoid participating in the larger minecraft community in any capacity, they should be fine.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

KakerMix posted:

Oh no. :ohdear:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

KakerMix posted:

i thought blightfall had the whole 'everything is afflicted with blight' thing covered

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I installed legends, but it felt weird to play something without AE2 (or jetpacks), so after 30 mins of doodling around, I quit. Is this the upgraded Tekkit for 1.7.x, or is it a standalone?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Datasmurf posted:

I installed legends, but it felt weird to play something without AE2 (or jetpacks), so after 30 mins of doodling around, I quit. Is this the upgraded Tekkit for 1.7.x, or is it a standalone?

Powersuits have jetpacks. That's what you should work towards if that's really what's missing for you.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
What's the best way of transporting power in Tekkit Legends? I found one way of doing it, but I'm not sure if jury rigging engineer's toolbox sockets as wires is the best solution.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

McFrugal posted:

Powersuits have jetpacks. That's what you should work towards if that's really what's missing for you.

It's not quite the same, though. And it's a bit clunky (sorry Claire) compared to a simple jetpack which takes ages to make in the start, having to get all that cryotheum, gold, redstone, and ender pearls.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Hey, all - I've enjoyed playing Blightfall for a while; do you guys have any recommendations on other story-driven / quest-driven mods?

In general, I like Minecraft, but eventually the "create your own objective" part leaves me cold, so anything that could give me a series of goals or a large, well-designed overall goal would be awesome.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Are there any good alarm/siren mods out there that aren't Nuclear Control 2? I'd love to use it, but it's reliant on IC2 and gently caress having IC2 installed.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I figured out how to make Pixelmon fun: Turn friendly mob sounds off :v:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Eschers Basement posted:

Hey, all - I've enjoyed playing Blightfall for a while; do you guys have any recommendations on other story-driven / quest-driven mods?

In general, I like Minecraft, but eventually the "create your own objective" part leaves me cold, so anything that could give me a series of goals or a large, well-designed overall goal would be awesome.

In theory Crash Landing is nice, but you may want to tweak the settings on the survival mod that requires thirst. Man is that obnoxious.

Otherwise tooling around the desert raiding cities for their loot is rather cool of a concept

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Eschers Basement posted:

I've seen a lot of youtube folks stick with one called 'Obscurity' which looks interesting.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

EricFate posted:

I've seen a lot of youtube folks stick with one called 'Obscurity' which looks interesting.

Obscurity is really bad imo, you spawn in the deep dark (darkness deals damage, mobs spawn regardless of light level) and torches are hell-nerfed (you need steel to light them - oh also flint and iron got removed - and can't make them from coal, and when you break them they drop sticks), as is using lava as a light source (spawns lava monsters that spray high damage projectiles at you) so, for me, mining consisted of digging a 1x3 tunnel (yay half speed mining) and half-slabbing everywhere I walked because when I didn't, I died horribly. Your only source of movable light early on is either the magnum torch you spawn with (you'd better be real sure your base is sealed and half-slabbed entirely or you'll get overrun when you take it with you), or redstone torches (which give just enough light to keep the darkness from hurting you in game, but not enough to keep the darkness from hurting your eyes IRL).

And in spite of all this, Obscurity was really fun while I was trying to set up a base in an insanely hostile environment and madly scrambling to not die, then turned into absolute drudge work tedium almost immediately. I spent like 3-4 hours mining in the dark, progressed a little, tried to progress a little more, realized it'd take me another like 5+ hours of mining to get anywhere, and quit. Like I feel like youtubers love it because youtubers are strange creatures who love mining for hours on end, and if that's your cup of tea, more power to you - I don't get it :shrug:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Magres posted:

And in spite of all this, Obscurity was really fun while I was trying to set up a base in an insanely hostile environment and madly scrambling to not die, then turned into absolute drudge work tedium almost immediately. I spent like 3-4 hours mining in the dark, progressed a little, tried to progress a little more, realized it'd take me another like 5+ hours of mining to get anywhere, and quit. Like I feel like youtubers love it because youtubers are strange creatures who love mining for hours on end, and if that's your cup of tea, more power to you - I don't get it :shrug:

Pity. I had hoped that getting away from the skyblock format might make it more accessible rather than more of a grind.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's not super well polished, but I've enjoyed what I've played of Refuge. It's certainly less grindy than Obscurity.

Skyblock isn't so bad once you get past opening stages of "sieve dirt for stone fragments to make cobble." AgSkies2 isn't terribly story driven, but it's got quests out the wazoo, and there's a goon server for it in PGS (Spergville 6) and I'd be happy to set newbies up with the tools for basic automation (which is, imo, where the game should start). Farming trees for three hours so you can get cobble generation going is no one's idea of fun, and it's really incongruous with the entirety of the rest of what you do in Agrarian Skies, which is automation, automation, and more automation. I'm a fair ways into the modpack and pretty much everything I do is either work towards automating some task or work on building my ideal super-base.

Also now that I actually think about it, Obscurity is certainly more grindy than Agrarian Skies 2. AS2 was a slog for the first like 2-3 hours then picked up significantly, Obscurity just stayed a slog interminably.

E: I've heard nothing but good things about Baby's First Space Race. It's goon made too, so you can tell Rocko he's a dumb butthead if you hate it :v:

Material Energy ^ 4 also looks interesting, I'm planning to give it a whack at some point. Lot of Spatial IO from AE2 from the looks of it, and a heavy tech focus. I think you have to like put in disks containing progressively more hostile areas into a prefab spatial IO system and punch mans until you can firmly call the place your own to progress, which sounds really cool to me.

E2: Yeah Wolpertinger has played it and is telling me that ME^4 has like no grind and is just crazy fights against overwhelming odds, and when you beat said fights you are rewarded with huge caches of resources. Which, imo, sounds absolutely awesome.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 26, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
As far as interesting modpacks go, I've been messing around with Material Energy^4 and Galactic Science and have been having a pretty good time with them.

Material Energy 4, which does some really interesting things with AE2's spatial IO system (which I hadn't really been aware of before this mod). Spatial IO lets you take a HUGE area of space (I think the main spatial area is at least 58x58x58 if not more) and store it in an AE disk. Press a button, and everything within a defined area vanishes, going into the disk, monsters and animals (and possibly players, I can't tell in single player) included. Swap another disk in, press a button, and suddenly that area is completely different. ME4 gives you a hub with all the parts to immediately set up a basic AE system with a crafting terminal and a few 1k disks, as well as a box full of enderIO parts and other misc. goodies, a bigreactor already stuffed full of yellorium (no coolant or turbine, though you find a massive cryotheum lake in the second spatial dungeon), and a minechem laboratory with an already built fusion and fission reactor (though they aren't hooked up to anything or functional yet, you need to finish hooking them up and setting up the infastructure). It's also chock full with a ridiculous amount of hidden treasure everywhere, it encourages you to break everything and look everywhere to find hidden goodies - even just random blocks on the walls/floor are actually disguised boxes with random reward bags in them.

The main gimmick is that you start off with a single disc for a basic dungeon that gives you the materials you need to get started, and if you can find the space-time wool at the end of each dungeon, turning in the quest that wants it will give you another disk for another spatial IO dungeon with a different theme and different materials you might need. They're stuffed with a lot of real difficult enemies that you need to clear out and fill the whole place with torches to actually turn it into a usable area you can return to regularly for the valuable resources there, and a lot of it seems to be finding ways to cheese them, since they're rather nasty compared to vanilla versions of the same mobs and in pretty huge numbers.

For example, it gives you a self-replenishing lake of cryotheum early on, and one thing you can do is fill florbs with them and use cryotheum grenades to clear out enemies, or using ineffable glass which is solid to enemies and projectiles, but not you, to murder everything with a ranged attack. You can also find side-dungeons from random reward bags as well as side quests or hidden in various chests throughout the dungeons. It's kinda brutally hard solo, but might be better with a small group on multiplayer.

Unfortunately I accidentally deleted my world on that like ten hours in in when I was messing with the curse client (dammit Curse) and have been too :effort: to redo it all.

Galactic Science is like some weird hybrid of Galacticraft and a skyblock (I've never played Galacticraft before this mod, though). You start on the moon instead of earth (the earth's uninhabitable and can't be visited), and the moon doesn't have ore, instead you have Ex Nihilo like a skyblock, however moon turf/dirt/rock works in a sifter like sand/dirt/gravel respectively, so, combined with minechem (you can turn one obsidian into 16 dirt or 16 gravel), and almost immediately getting an extra utilities cobblegen from a quest, it lets you skip the composting/dirt farm phase almost entirely. It has a bunch of unusual mods I had never really gotten into before (Minechem, RFtools, Refined Relocation, Modular Systems, EnderIO, Nuclear Reactors(not big reactors) Ultra Massive Tech, etc.) as well as a bunch of galacticraft addons that apparently add a lot more planets and content.
However, getting the actual rocket ship off the moon has been pretty slow for me since it pushes you to start setting up a ton of automation hard, and I'm new enough to modded minecraft on top of being unfamiliar with a lot of these mods that I'm bad and slow at automation, so I still haven't seen most of it. Still, from what I've seen it's pretty interesting.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 26, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
From what Wolp has told me of Minechem, it's absolutely hilarious. You can make a lake out of meth. As in methamphetamines. And jumping in will get you high out of your gourd

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

From what Wolp has told me of Minechem, it's absolutely hilarious. You can make a lake out of meth. As in methamphetamines. And jumping in will get you high out of your gourd

RFTools made it pretty amusing because you'd get lakes of cocaine. I felt like a 1980s hedge fund manager.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
But is it worth more than printer ink?

Also RFTools is the new mystcraft I guess.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Does RFTools burn down servers as badly as mystcraft does?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I liked ME^4 until the second half of the game where the new maps are just old maps with new types of blocks replacing old ones... and spawners everywhere. One of the maps has spawners with huge range that cause noticeable stuttering. Oh also almost all of the secret item blocks are in completely random locations around the base. Just random spots in walls. It's stupid and lazy.

ME^3 is faaaaar better designed.

Wolpertinger posted:

Galactic Science is like some weird hybrid of Galacticraft and a skyblock (I've never played Galacticraft before this mod, though). You start on the moon instead of earth (the earth's uninhabitable and can't be visited), and the moon doesn't have ore, instead you have Ex Nihilo like a skyblock, however moon turf/dirt/rock works in a sifter like sand/dirt/gravel respectively, so, combined with minechem (you can turn one obsidian into 16 dirt or 16 gravel), and almost immediately getting an extra utilities cobblegen from a quest, it lets you skip the composting/dirt farm phase almost entirely. It has a bunch of unusual mods I had never really gotten into before (Minechem, RFtools, Refined Relocation, Modular Systems, EnderIO, Nuclear Reactors(not big reactors) Ultra Massive Tech, etc.) as well as a bunch of galacticraft addons that apparently add a lot more planets and content.
However, getting the actual rocket ship off the moon has been pretty slow for me since it pushes you to start setting up a ton of automation hard, and I'm new enough to modded minecraft on top of being unfamiliar with a lot of these mods that I'm bad and slow at automation, so I still haven't seen most of it. Still, from what I've seen it's pretty interesting.

I looked this one up and it's still under active development so I'm gonna wait on it.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 26, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Does RFTools burn down servers as badly as mystcraft does?

I think the issue is fundamentally having all those dimensions loaded just bogs things down from attrition regardless of mod. I have to remember if there was some slow code people were mentioning but I cannot remember for certain.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I liked ME^4 until the second half of the game where the new maps are just old maps with new types of blocks replacing old ones... and spawners everywhere. One of the maps has spawners with huge range that cause noticeable stuttering. Oh also almost all of the secret item blocks are in completely random locations around the base. Just random spots in walls. It's stupid and lazy.

ME^3 is faaaaar better designed.

I looked this one up and it's still under active development so I'm gonna wait on it.

Oh, that's a shame - does ME^3 have spatial IO? The concept is so novel I wish more mods messed with it. I also liked the compact machines that let you fit 12x12x12 rooms in single blocks in Obscurity but actually getting anywhere in that mod is unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

Oh, that's a shame - does ME^3 have spatial IO? The concept is so novel I wish more mods messed with it. I also liked the compact machines that let you fit 12x12x12 rooms in single blocks in Obscurity but actually getting anywhere in that mod is unbearable.

Sure does! ME^3 more heavily relies on Minechem, too.