Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Today Porsche announced a 300mi range sporty EV and Audi announced a 310mi SUV. I guess this EV thing is actually gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Today Porsche announced a 300mi range sporty EV and Audi announced a 310mi SUV. I guess this EV thing is actually gonna happen.

That 300 mile quote is based on the European test cycle which is about 20-30% more generous than the EPA cycle so the real world range will probably be comparable to the 85 KWh Model S variants.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
When's Tesla's Model X supposed to come out? Competing with Audi of all companies for the SUV market seems pretty tough.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

New GM: Same as the old GM.

Have they had a product launch or relaunch in the past ten years that they didn't cock up, that didn't have "Corvette" on the front fascia?

:commissar:

Edit: I never noticed that the commissar smiles at the end. :v:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The comments say a dealer in Maryland is telling potential customers GM is not allowing him to sell out of state. Super lame. I was going to check out an out of state one when they launched but why bother. I am afraid to play the waiting game because it could be a damned year before I can buy a 2017 Volt if this crap is true.

Has anyone driven a plug in Prius? I am going to look at a 2013 Volt this weekend and the dealer has a 2012 plug in Prius also. They are both the exact same price (14,900). Both have 30k miles. I am going to check it out. I love driving my GF's Volt but the cargo space and lack of a roof rack has me second guessing my decision about buying one. You can't even put golf clubs in the trunk without dropping a seat. I surf and windsurf and while I can use my truck, it would be much nicer to get 2.5x the milage by taking a car to the beach instead of my truck.

I am not sure what a Prius offers for trunk space, but I know it has several roof rack options and the trunk can't be smaller!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My boss just told me last night he was thinking of keeping his leased Prius plug-in because he likes it so much. He can charge at work.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Regular 2010 prius here but surfboards fit great inside. Longboards too if you're by yourself. I think people fit 10 foot boards inside. I only have shortboards though.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The plug in Prius only gets like 11 miles per charge so it doesn't really seem worth it except for the fact every used regular Prius I see from that model year has like 90,000 miles and is only like a grand less than this plug in one with 30,000.

I'll let you guys know what I think this afternoon.

A 10 foot board doesn't seem possible. My short board is 6'4 but my windsurfing boards are both massive. One is like 4 feet wide (low wind) and the other is 12 feet long. That is why people smarter than me invented roof racks.

edit
I called the dealer on the way and they told me they had it charged up. I get there and the dealer is driving it, I guess to make sure everything is working, and he killed the entire charge. They were nice enough to offer to let me sit there for 2 hours while they charged it again (hah)

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 19, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ugh that kind of thing is why I kinda hate hybrids. They often end up being a weird mix of the worst of "both worlds". Apparently the plugin option is like god expensive but it can only go 11 miles? Like, why? :negative:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Boten Anna posted:

Ugh that kind of thing is why I kinda hate hybrids. They often end up being a weird mix of the worst of "both worlds". Apparently the plugin option is like god expensive but it can only go 11 miles? Like, why? :negative:

Lithium ion batteries are expensive. The regular Prius uses NiMH to keep the price low

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The price difference is thousands of dollars, enough to imply that they didn't put cheapshit batteries in it. Like I expected it to get 20-30 miles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s always annoyed me when I’m driving a hybrid on a long downhill grade, the battery fills up, and I have to waste energy by engine‐braking.

It would help if drivers were given just a little control over state of charge, e.g. to tell the car when there’s a long downhill segment coming up so it can draw down the battery in anticipation. If you don’t trust the driver not to abuse the control and hurt the battery’s lifespan, tie into the navigation system to get elevation data.

It’s something of an irrational irritation because it usually doesn’t waste all that much energy when it occurs, and it doesn’t come up in most locales. Still, the thought has occurred to me that a larger battery pack would help with this issue, in addition to being nice for very short trips.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Boten Anna posted:

Ugh that kind of thing is why I kinda hate hybrids. They often end up being a weird mix of the worst of "both worlds". Apparently the plugin option is like god expensive but it can only go 11 miles? Like, why?
I agree the upgrade to plug in isn't really worth any money in reality. The preowned one I looked at has almost no premium price for the plug in. 11 miles in a Prius is 1/5th of a gallon so not even 50 cents of savings, and that is before factoring in electricity. It is not worth any premium upgrade price. The one I drove, according to the dashboard computer, only had about 100 miles of electric driving if I read it correctly. The previous owner probably plugged it in the first month he owned it then never again hah.

I really did like the Prius though. I could see it holding golf clubs, surfboards, and whatever else I needed, with a roof rack for windsurfing (or take my truck). However, it is difficult to consider any other vehicle when I can get a brand new fully loaded Volt for 20k after the rebate. It is hard to justify paying 15k for a used vehicle with 35k miles (or more).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Priuses are weirdly roomy, like leafs are pretty decently sized and there's not much my wife's Matrix can do that my Leaf can't cargo-wise, but Priuses are made of the same poo poo the Tardis is I think.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Priuses are weirdly roomy, like leafs are pretty decently sized and there's not much my wife's Matrix can do that my Leaf can't cargo-wise, but Priuses are made of the same poo poo the Tardis is I think.

If only they were, I might be able to get some of the time I spend communing in mine back.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

Rumor has it the 4th generation Pruis will increase the plug-in range to something useful (around 30 miles).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tesla have sent out invites to the presumed Model X launch next week. Although I suspect it'll have even bigger supply issues over the model s.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Even as a huge Tesla fanboy, I bet those drat gullwing doors will have leaks or other issues.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Cockmaster posted:

Rumor has it the 4th generation Pruis will increase the plug-in range to something useful (around 30 miles).
Will it be able to use battery exclusively for the first 30 miles like the Volt? The way I understood it the gas motor still kicks on if you break 60 or at other random times even when you still have a charge? I do not know if this is true because the dealer drained it before I got there.

If the Prius I looked at got over 30 a charge I probably would have bought it. 30 on a charge could get me no gas usage probably 25 days a month (unless the engine really does randomly kick on all the time). 11 miles and I'm using gas every day.

I really wish the Volt had the Prius backseat and trunk. Everything else about it kicks total rear end. I'd have one in the driveway right now except for those two things :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ribsauce posted:

Will it be able to use battery exclusively for the first 30 miles like the Volt? The way I understood it the gas motor still kicks on if you break 60 or at other random times even when you still have a charge? I do not know if this is true because the dealer drained it before I got there.

If the Prius I looked at got over 30 a charge I probably would have bought it. 30 on a charge could get me no gas usage probably 25 days a month (unless the engine really does randomly kick on all the time). 11 miles and I'm using gas every day.

I really wish the Volt had the Prius backseat and trunk. Everything else about it kicks total rear end. I'd have one in the driveway right now except for those two things :(
Agreed. If I'm going hybrid I want the electric experience to be exactly the same as a full electric until the gas kicks in to provide additional range.
But I'm a serial hybrid fanboy, so take what you will from that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
For pure hybrids are Priuses better than the alternatives? My Leaf's lease is up in 7 months and I'm debating options and all the talk of hybrids has me wondering. Is Prius still top of the hill, or do alternatives like the Accord hybrid have compelling enough features and lifetime in them to look at them?

All pending I don't just suck it up and save for a Tesla 3 by the end of the decade.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wish Tesla would stop pushing software updates without new release notes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mortanis posted:

For pure hybrids are Priuses better than the alternatives? My Leaf's lease is up in 7 months and I'm debating options and all the talk of hybrids has me wondering. Is Prius still top of the hill, or do alternatives like the Accord hybrid have compelling enough features and lifetime in them to look at them?

All pending I don't just suck it up and save for a Tesla 3 by the end of the decade.

The prius is long proven and are everywhere, the volt is apparently pretty good. Unless you needed something very specific that neither offered I would stick with those two.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also the Chevy Bolt is claiming a 200 mile range when it comes out in a year or two.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mange Mite posted:

Also the Chevy Bolt is claiming a 200 mile range when it comes out in a year or two.

They're really going to have Volt and Bolt? That is ridiculous.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Just wait until they announced the Jolt!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

They're really going to have Volt and Bolt? That is ridiculous.

Chevrolet Marketing should be loving hung.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We should revolt.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Wamsutta posted:

Just wait until they announced the Jolt!
I think there'll be a bigger backlash when they go with the Dolt.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrYenko posted:

Chevrolet Marketing should be loving hung.

Hell of a moving target considering they switch ad agencies every few years and dont even have a chirf officer of marketing

roomforthetuna posted:

The dolt actually predates the volt. Hes gone now but his dumb dick decisions remain

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

roomforthetuna posted:

They’ll shed their old image with the Moult.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dodge is already prepping their lawsuit for the Chevy Colt.

(As a side note, wow Chrome spell check. It has "Colt" as misspelled following Chevy, it suggests Volt instead.)

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-speeds-up-electric-car-work-1442857105

Apple has just formally confirmed that they will in fact, be working on an electric car, with a planned launch date sometime in 2019. Contrary to previous rumors, they won't be aiming for Google-level autonomy right away (though it is still a long-term goal).

What are the odds that they'll actually end up with something worth a crap? 2019 is far enough out that Tesla could beat them to market with the Model 3 by a year or two. If they're not aiming for real autonomous driving, what could they bring to the table that'd attract interest?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-speeds-up-electric-car-work-1442857105

Apple has just formally confirmed that they will in fact, be working on an electric car, with a planned launch date sometime in 2019. Contrary to previous rumors, they won't be aiming for Google-level autonomy right away (though it is still a long-term goal).

What are the odds that they'll actually end up with something worth a crap? 2019 is far enough out that Tesla could beat them to market with the Model 3 by a year or two. If they're not aiming for real autonomous driving, what could they bring to the table that'd attract interest?

White plastic exterior with a softly glowing logo? (brushed metal finish available on the Pro trim level)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Will they go the phone route and refine 2-3 year old hardware? Or the computer route and just use the same hardware as everyone else but charge 3x the price?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

Will they go the phone route and refine 2-3 year old hardware? Or the computer route and just use the same hardware as everyone else but charge 3x the price?

After 2 years of ownership, they push a software update to the car and now every time you load the maps app, it crashes. Into a bridge abutment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Immediately after a new model is announced, the rate of iCars driving into bodies of water will increase sharply.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
At least Apple's dream of having one clicky wheel to control everything would make sense now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Instead of a steering wheel it just has a big touchpad with multitouch where you perform gestures to control the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You have to buy an aftermarket clear plastic film to apply to the windscreen to protect from scratches and getting smashed by a rock. They also sell a variety of silicon rubber surrounds you can put over the car to protect it in parking lots.

• Locked thread